Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,910 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba (12547 Views)

Na’abba: Buhari Hasn’t Added Any Value To Democracy… We’ll Stop Him In 2019 / VIDEO INTERVIEW: How We Pad Budgets Every Year — Reps Lawal Gumau / "Full List Of 2016 Budgets For Nigeria States And Allocated Revenue " (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by dre11(m): 8:31am On Aug 08, 2016
ADEBIYI ADEDAPO, Benjamin Isaiah

The former Speaker of House of Representatives, Rt Hon Ghali Na’Abba, has declared that there can be no padding of the national budget without the connivance of the executive arm of government.

Na’Abba made this revelation while fielding questions from journalists in Kaduna, yesterday.

He also noted that it was the constitutional responsibility of the National Assembly to make appropriations on the budget submitted to it by the executive.

“I expect that after 16 years of the return to democracy, Nigerians would understand the responsibilities of the National Assembly.

“For some weeks now, there has been controversy over what is called padding. As far as I am concerned, the National Assembly has the responsibility to pass the budget, approve it and allow the executive arm to execute it.

“To my understanding, where the issue being referred to as padding comes into play is a situation where some members go behind and add items of expenditure to what had already been agreed upon, for either stealing the funds or doing whatever they feel like doing with it.

“But this stealing of fund is not possible without the active connivance of some members of the executive arm,” he stated.

The former Speaker said that, so far, all the “noise” emanating from the Green Chamber were mere allegations as no investigation had been conducted in the matter.

This is just as he faulted the calls for the Speaker’s resignation.

Jibrin, Doguwa defy APC’s directive, continue verbal attacks

The chief whip of the House of Representatives, Hon. Alhassan Ado Doguwa and the immediate past chairman of the House committee on Appropriation, Hon. Jibrin Abdulmumin, yesterday defied the ceasefire directive by the All Progressives Congress (APC) on the alleged budget padding as they continued public altercations.

Jibrin in a statement yesterday, said irrespective of the party’s directive, there was a dire need to make further revelations.

“As you are aware, my party, the APC has intervened in the current crisis. I have made it a duty to respond to all the allegations against me, it has once again become necessary for me to make some statements, clarification and further revelations,” he said.

This is just as Doguwa, who featured on a weekend television programme, Sunday Politics, said allegations levelled by Jibrin were strange to legitimate legislative process.

According to him, Jibrin had just spent four years in the House and as such, lacked requisite knowledge of legislative nuances

“The term padding is strange to legitimate legislative process, it is inapplicable, you cannot apply it anywhere,” Doguwa said.

He also said the the 2016 budget enjoyed unprecedented appropriation process both from the executive and legislative arms of government.

“The appropriation of 2016 budget was unprecedented, because in the House, we jettisoned our constitutional power and sat down with the executive to prepare the budget,” he said.

Also, Jibrin in a fresh allegation, challenged the Speaker of the House, Yakubu Dogara, to explain the N25 million he spends without accounting.

“He should explain why on earth he collects N25 million every month just to spend it the way he wants.”

Jibrin said he was constrained to speak as Dogara had defied the party’s directive by launching verbal attacks against him.

“While I was determined to observe the ceasefire, Dogara and his group of few rogues didn’t. I called Sen Lawali Shuaibu and complained on Thursday, Friday and Sunday. He promised to reach the Speaker. On Friday the Speaker spoke to the press after meeting the president on the matter, and they launched a massive attack on me on Saturday and today Sunday in the media, while the party is keeping a sealed lip. Nobody will blame me that I responded,” he stated.

He further alleged that there was an attempt by two serving governors and some former members of the House to provide soft landing for the accused principal officers.

”This is a wicked attempt to drag many institutions and individuals into the matter to neutralise the issue, spread fear and sell the dummy that the entire country will go down if this matter is dealt with decisively. This is the biggest blackmail I have ever seen. Nigerians should know that the whole agenda of this blackmail is being coordinated by a group of five people, two serving governors and three former members of the House. I will give their names in due course. They have been running pillar to post and I keep wondering what really do they have to hide or are afraid of since they are not Members of the House,” he stated.

Jibrin flayed comments credited to the Speaker, which suggested that padding was not an offence know to any law, saying his petition established more fraudulent acts beyond padding.

“Surprisingly, they have resorted to using every tactics to narrow the allegations to only issue of padding, which in itself is a grievous offense, ignoring tens of other criminal allegations contained in my petition to the anti-corruption agencies. In doing so, they mischievously expanded the scope of the culpability to give an impression that the entire House, Senate and even the executive arm of government and some individuals outside NASS are on trial,” he added.

He stated further that henceforth, more damning revelations would be made available to Nigerians.

The former appropriation committee chairman emphasised that while he was committed to peaceful resolution of the crisis, he would, however, not drop criminal allegations against the Speaker and others.

“The meeting with the party went very well and in all honesty, they were very objective and showed understanding. I told the party that I will be part of any peaceful resolution EXCEPT on the criminal allegations I have raised against Speaker Dogara and 12 others,” he said.

He said it would be unfair to drag the upper chamber of the National Assembly into the matter, as he said the Senate was too busy to be involved in the exercise.

Jibrin also raised concerns that a group of people were preventing him from holding a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.

http://leadership.ng/news/545121/nass-alone-cannot-pad-budgets-naabba

lalasticlala
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by mastermaestro(m): 8:33am On Aug 08, 2016
Of course the executive is an accomplice. You wonder why there is grave silence from the anti-corruption messiah and his attack agencies (dss, efcc)? If Dogara was Fayose, if Dogara was Ekweremandu, if Dogara was Saraki, if Dogara was Akpabio, where do you think they would be by now?

But some people are doing everything to absolve the executive. We are praying for your freedom.

102 Likes 9 Shares

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by zinachidi(m): 8:35am On Aug 08, 2016
abeg what is this padding sef? Am I the only one that doesn't know?
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by ijustdey: 9:03am On Aug 08, 2016
“But this stealing of fund is not possible without the active connivance of some members of the executive arm,” he stated.

I guess if the executive arm were in on this padded budget...... they won't have asked for the breakdown of the budget.

the president would have just sign it when the house did returned it to them

10 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:15am On Aug 08, 2016
The executive padded the budget so as to use to settle some party cronies for a job welL done during the last presidential election, the legislators found out. As they say, "What Is Good For Boniface Is Also Good For Boninyash, legislators added the own Pad.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by drss2(m): 9:17am On Aug 08, 2016
we already know dis. its public knowledge dat d 2016 budget was already corrupted (abi na padded) by d executive with items like ''N26 million aso rock rent, N1 billion aso rock feeding, N3.6 billion bmw cars, N700 million website, N3.6 billion aso rock clinic, N200 million tyres n car jack etc before it was presented to d national assembly.
nass simply added their own share.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by MadeInTokyo: 9:19am On Aug 08, 2016
grin grin grin
So technically Buhari is also involved in the padding of the budget.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by JossyOloye(m): 10:45am On Aug 08, 2016
that's why proper investigation is required. so as to fish out others involved
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by TheFreeOne: 12:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
The immediate concerns / needs of Nigerians vis-à-vis banks interest rates, forex, unemployment, cost of living e.t.c has been jettisoned by the govt and replaced by pursuits of political vendatta, confusion, excuses and selfish interests that will not improve our lives.

Distractions/ sensationalism on corruption has become the order of the day to mask their cluelessness on governance whilst such matters will eventually be swept under the carpet by ogas at the top.

Nigeria never had it this bad. So so sad.

8 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by ijustdey: 1:59pm On Aug 08, 2016
Budget padding not possible without help of executive – Na’Abba

http://punchng.com/budget-padding-not-possible-without-help-of-executive-naabba/

cc lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Trailblazer1(m): 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2016
grin
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Nobody: 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
GBAM!! Most especially in coniviance with the person who signed the budget into law.
Bunch of demons in angelic robes

27 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by inkpixel: 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
Bunch of fools

7 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Sunnycliff(m): 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
I don't want to curse any politician but their actions and in actions is pushing me to do so!

All our Politicians are thieves! Just that when one politician thief more than others they become aggressive and aggrieved thereby attacking you with efcc and dss!

This nation has no solution to it's problem of corruption in sight! I am not talking of pdp or apc cos they mean no difference to me.

6 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by elmisti(m): 10:15pm On Aug 08, 2016
ok
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by complete1(m): 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2016
[b][/b]OBSERVATION
So these are my observations concerning Aisha's trip to the US,did someone noticed that all the links below every source are not from reliable source like punch,vanguard etc,just some bloggers,and again,how come the visit of a whole presidents wife was not seen on Tv on any station (please if u saw or watched it on any tv station you can correct me).we are talking of the presidents wife here so even an international station will pick the news but non.still stand to be corrected tho.#drop my pen#forgive any typo

12 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by elmisti(m): 10:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
sapiosexual1:
GBAM!! Most especially in coniviance with the person who signed the budget into law.
Bunch of demons in angelic robes

did u just say angelic robes bro, dey ar bunch of demons in lucifer robes oooooo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 08, 2016

10 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Nobody: 10:17pm On Aug 08, 2016
exactly my thought... Buhari is practicing hyper hypocrisy as corruption is in his shokoto

7 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by timilehin007(m): 10:18pm On Aug 08, 2016
So Na me and nass pad am abi

1 Like

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by AntiWailer: 10:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
Start confusion.

Executive knew about it and refused to sign.

Liar.

2 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Jediel1(m): 10:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
All dat wan na big English. U tif abi u no tif simple angry angry

2 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by abumeinben(m): 10:19pm On Aug 08, 2016
If the executive be aware, then by extension, buhari was aware, consciously or not. Someone spilled it out because they were sidelined.

The head is getting rot, a thorough formatting is inevitably expedient.

Misplaced resources in the ministries, a sports minister frustrating his own team, random decisions from presidency, tribal selectivity of military resolution of crisis.

Just imagine...I planned to write my TOEFL exams this month, just $200, just $200 is now N80,000. Had to rethink....to choose between feeding for the month or writing exam.

I want to believe that this buhari is aligning our economy with the long existing lie of the IMF that 75% of Nigerians live below $1. This is sad.

4 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by TippyTop(m): 10:24pm On Aug 08, 2016
Here is the President of All Padding Congress surrounded by his padding colleagues in NASS.

Put any paper in front of Presidiot Buhari and he signs it.
Next time make sure your presidential aspirant has genuine education and qualified for the position he's applying for.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRn3mncQh3NrvRP11v-iMY4KbdNbdqH8PJ3P9dLAl_jukuArlUqBA[/img]

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by datola: 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
Continue the blame game legislathieve Naaba.
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by toidflex(m): 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
Really?
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Philinho(m): 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
This is the main reason why APC don't want to go into deep investigation of the padded budget. Cos presidecy must be involved

8 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by yekparikpa(m): 10:25pm On Aug 08, 2016
It's getting really interesting. I hope the EFCC Doesn't arrest Jubrin at the end of it all.
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by agabaI23(m): 10:27pm On Aug 08, 2016
zinachidi:
abeg what is this padding sef? Am I the only one that doesn't know?
Go have a look at a padded V-boot

6 Likes

Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by Emmaco1990(m): 10:29pm On Aug 08, 2016
Yeah you are right... grin
Re: NASS Alone Cannot Pad Budgets – Na’abba by TippyTop(m): 10:30pm On Aug 08, 2016

How can Bubu D Mumu exonerate himself? You mean his legion of staffs didn't find it worthwhile to take a cursory glance at what he was signing?
Whats the job of the Budget office, what about Vice President "kekere" Osibanjo, is he also a dullard?

#When dullards govern, the poor suffers the most#

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Has Merged With INEC, Police – Fayose / DAWN DG, Dipo Famakinwa, Is Dead / Top Three Areas Where Nigerians Expect Government's Attention In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.