Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,102 members, 7,807,319 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

My Experience As A Scholar In A Course I Never Applied For - Alao Tope - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience As A Scholar In A Course I Never Applied For - Alao Tope (483 Views)

What's The Highest Score You Ever Got In A Course As An Undergraduate? / Abiodun Alao Lectures At King’s College University Of London / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience As A Scholar In A Course I Never Applied For - Alao Tope by Adefaze(m): 2:14pm On Aug 09, 2016
It is that time of the year again where students are offered admissions into different University of their choice. Note I said “University of their choice”. Some are lucky to be offered the course they have passion for why some might be fortunate to get those they didn’t apply for.

I was among the second category when I was offered admission into the prestigious University of Ilorin to study a course I didn’t applied for, Geology. I actually applied to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering with the hope of becoming the next generation Engineer and my dream to produce new electronics that will change the climate of technology in this country.

For those who are experienced, they might have thought that my definition for Electronic engineering in this country might be different from what it was.

It was on a good morning when I received a call from my friend who told me I have been offered admission to study Geology. I was happy to hear I finally got admission after waiting for some months at home. But I never knew the meaning of Geology, so I went to search a dictionary to check out the meaning of Geology, where I got to know that it is the study of the earth and it physical phenomenon.

With my attitude of wanting to know more about my environment coupled with the desperation to gain admission into the University, I accepted the admission and got serious about it.

At the beginning of the semester I have already finished a whole text on GNS which I got from a friend of mine who got admission before me. Later on in the semester I visited the library every day to learn new things to get fresh idea on how the earth work. These I think helped build a strong foundation for myself.

With my passion increasing for the study of the earth, I took various courses during my 100level days, some physics, chemistry and mathematics, which doesn’t pose a threat to me since I originally wanted to study engineering. It was until second semester that I started offering Geology courses now I can use all that I’ve have learnt during my first semester days to pass my exams easily.

When my result was released, I was expecting to make average grades, but to my surprise I got 8 A’s and 2 B’s during my first semester and lots of A’s during my second semester too. But I was not sure then if I got the best result in my department.

It was a nice experience for me, as I received free goodies from school which includes huge cash and free accommodation, hopefully till the end of my programme.

I only got to know I am the scholar on the convocation day.

This is my story and I hope it motivate you irrespective of your status, whether you have been offered admission of your choice or something else. Always remember that no discipline is a waste of time. It will definitely add some values to your life.

Submitted by Alao Tope Abdullahi (Atop)
CEO OFFKRENTS (An online portal that provides off – campus accommodation for Nigerian students).

Source: http://www.adefazeblog.com/2016/08/my-experience-as-scholar-in-course-i.html cc lalasticlala, seun, Fynestboi, olawalebabs, Richiez

(1) (Reply)

Finger Of God At 25 / LASU College Of Medicine: 9 Years Of Failure - A LASU Student Cries Out / Are We Really Inferior To The Whites(oyinbos)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.