Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones (585 Views)

How Phone Auto Prediction/correction Affects Your Life / Warning! This Bug Affects Millions Of Android And Ios Devices / Does Your Sim Have This Bug? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by yomalex(m): 11:48pm On Aug 09, 2016
Checkpoint researchers have detected an android bug security flaw on Android devices running on chipsets made by Qualcomm. The flaw allows attackers unfettered access to a phone's data.

But it is not known if these flaws are currently being used.

"I'm pretty sure you will see these vulnerabilities being used in the next three to four months," said Michael Shaulov, head of mobility product management at Checkpoint.

"It's always a race as to who finds the bug first, whether it's the good guys or the bad."

The devices affected by the bug include:

BlackBerry Priv
Blackphone 1 and Blackphone 2
Google Nexus 5X, Nexus 6 and Nexus 6P
HTC One, HTC M9 and HTC 10
LG G4, LG G5, and LG V10
New Moto X by Motorola
OnePlus One, OnePlus 2 and OnePlus 3
US versions of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung S7 Edge
Sony Xperia Z Ultra

Mr Shaulov said six months of work to reverse engineer Qualcomm's code revealed the problems.

The flaws were found in software that handles graphics and in code that controls communication between different processes running inside a phone.

Qualcomm has created patches for the bug after being informed by Checkpoint earleir in the year. It has also distributed the patches to phone makers and operators.

To know if your device has been affected by the bug, use the Checkpoint free app from the Google Play store called QuadRooter Scanner

In addition, Mr Shaulov said Android owners should only download apps from the official Google Play store to avoid falling victim to malicious programs.

"People should call whoever sold them their phone, their operator or the manufacturer, and beg them for the patches," said Mr Shaulov.

http://tipsdome.com/android-bug-affects-900-million-phones/

Re: Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by Flexherbal(m): 11:53pm On Aug 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by yomalex(m): 11:59pm On Aug 09, 2016
yes o
Re: Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by fistonati(m): 12:00am On Aug 10, 2016
So Gionee is not there. I doff heart that's why I love Gionee brands
Re: Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by tmanis(m): 7:47am On Aug 10, 2016
now that its snapdragon, nobody is talking o. if its mediatek now...........
Re: Android Bug Affects 900 Million Phones by yomalex(m): 1:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
fistonati:
So Gionee is not there. I doff heart that's why I love Gionee brands
you still have to check by using the Quadrooter app

(1) (Reply)

New Arrivals!!! / Nokia Lumia 950 XL Photos, Specifications And Price In Nigeria / Infinix Note 3 For Sale @ Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.