Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners (20267 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Areolad: 12:36am On Aug 10, 2016
Even if your car doesn’t come with 470 HP and Wi-Fi connectivity, your car is the biggest and most expensive gadget you own.

The Nigeria auto-industry is saturated with large number of mechanics who have little experience on car repairs or sometime driven by excessive profit motives to become deceitful. As such, unless a car owner changes his or her vehicle as often as a MacBook, keeping that ride in peak operating condition is as well as keeping repair costs down over its lifespan becomes very vital.

Here are 4 insights compiled by Autofactorng, an online retail store for sales of quality auto spare parts to make sure that a N5,000 brake job doesn’t cost you a N50, 000 leak in your checking account.

Trial and error

A large number of mechanics have little experience and knowledge about the well-being of cars. Working on modern vehicles demands unprecedented talent and training. In the bid to fix the problem, more problems arise.

Charging for unnecessary repairs

A mechanic diagnoses a problem, repairs it and – surprise, surprise – the problem is still there. They then re-diagnose it as a different problem and repair that. Eventually, the mechanic repairs the original defect but charges the customer for all the repairs. In some other instances, the mechanic is fully aware of other faults in your vehicle but will keep mute so as to get you to come back and pay more.

Misdiagnosing something that is not faulty

Sometimes to pad their bills, mechanics will tell a customer non-defective parts need to be replaced. Your brakes need to be resurfaced? They’ll tell you to get them replaced. Other parts on the car can be repaired? They’ll suggest replacement. Like unnecessary repairs, unneeded parts being sold to you are also a trick for major extortion.

Purchase of inferior parts

Mechanics in Nigeria are in this habit. The car owner pays for authentic parts for repairs, they will not only double the price of parts, they go as far as getting inferior parts which will eventually cause more damage.

Korede Ogunseinde is an auto blogger at Autofactorng

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/4-tricks-mechanics-use-extorting-money-car-owners/

2 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Araoluwa005(m): 6:39am On Aug 10, 2016
first to comment for the first time in 6 months. I am so happy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by daclint(m): 6:40am On Aug 10, 2016
True

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by ernesty20(m): 6:41am On Aug 10, 2016
U No Go Blame Them Nah, As Pa Buhari Don Turn Everything For This We Country Upside Them

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Targatarga(f): 6:41am On Aug 10, 2016
These are so true...... Infact d list is not complete.. Note... I don't have a car but have an ideal
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by dejavubobo1(m): 6:45am On Aug 10, 2016
From tailor, carpenter, plumber, mechanics and drivers are even worse than mechanics
U'll always hear "oga we ll change ds or dat, fuel don finish, papers no complete"

Naija I hail mehn...

Nothing in Nigeria is genuine, all artisans have the trait imbedded in them... It's like they train specially for it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by ministeriallist: 6:45am On Aug 10, 2016
Gud one! We need more info pls.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Aroh48(m): 6:45am On Aug 10, 2016
Mo
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by b0y(m): 6:46am On Aug 10, 2016
Targatarga:
These are so true...... Infact d list is not complete..
Note... I don't have a car but have an ideal

Oshey! All hail the IDEALIST
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by mikaelzX(m): 6:46am On Aug 10, 2016
very true. iv been repairing and re-repairing for a whole week now.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by rollUP(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2016
Targatarga:
These are so true...... Infact d list is not complete..
Note... I don't have a car but have an ideal

u be mechanic?
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by KingBish(f): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2016
My auto mechanic's alibi would always be "economy is very hard na". What's more.... He justifies his act by claiming he doesn't extort from average customers but those wealthy politicians that embezzle public funds. His conscience always eludes him when they drive into his workshop grin
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Lifestone(m): 6:47am On Aug 10, 2016
They steal your money the fuel and your car.

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Emeka71(m): 6:51am On Aug 10, 2016
Mechanics are always poving smart.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by dowjones(m): 6:51am On Aug 10, 2016
True. Why I try as much as possible to avoid them.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by wildchild1: 6:52am On Aug 10, 2016
True
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by datopaper(m): 6:52am On Aug 10, 2016
Is only in Nigeria grease monkey(mechanic) will tell u to change complete automatic gearbox and later it was a security box is the problem. And no apology. They should be more proffessional
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by trinity227(m): 6:52am On Aug 10, 2016
well the info is nice.... but what can we do to avoid these criminals mechanics to syphon us....?? should we go n learn mechanic ? because I don't think we can do without these mechanics.... what do you advice we do then when our car is faulty
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by AdeniyiA(m): 6:54am On Aug 10, 2016
Cursed money ,wondering why some people face problems later in life?? Because they're to pay back ,in multiple fold, the money they've amassed illegally undecided
"As the partridge sitteth on eggs, and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days, and at his end shall be a fool."....Jeremiah 17:11

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by fapcrook(m): 6:54am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
you joined NL not up to 6 months

4 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by mu2sa2: 6:57am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
But your post isn't a comment!

3 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by driand(m): 6:57am On Aug 10, 2016
K
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Teewhy2: 6:58am On Aug 10, 2016
This is so true and I just experienced it of recent as well, my car is having an increase in temperature on the temperature gauge than usual, it goes above average and stop unlike before where it stops at the middle on temperature gauge . The mechanic convinced me that it is the radiator that is the problem that I should change it from a single cell radiator to a double cell radiator and he was so confident that I bought it and after changing it The problem persist, he said the thermostat is not good that we should run it without it first and see if it is the problem which we have done and still the problem continue, I had to shout on him yesterday when he said the problem should be temperature switch, I told him I don't have money to waste on things he is not sure about, it is better I take the car for scanning not all this trial and error thing he is doing and he was even trying to defend what he is doing that its the right thing to do.
Can you imagine after spending about 25k on the problem in this economic recession period I am yet to solve the problem. I know that is what many other customers suffer in the hands of our Nigeria mechanic

9 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Rick9(m): 6:58am On Aug 10, 2016
Mechanics sef
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Dottore: 7:00am On Aug 10, 2016
Ok
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Daslim180(m): 7:03am On Aug 10, 2016
OK
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
Bros,you Don old for this o?

6 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by coalcoal1(m): 7:05am On Aug 10, 2016
hmmm
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by jhydebaba(m): 7:05am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
If ur topic come reach front page, I wonder the kind picture wey u go upload.

@Topic , almost all naija mecho are potential thieves.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by EagleScribes: 7:06am On Aug 10, 2016
On point. Can we have the remedies or way out please?
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by scarr: 7:08am On Aug 10, 2016
how can we stop kabiru and his cohorts from extorting us
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by titosantana(m): 7:15am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:

And you had to post your pix? Ode!

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice On Long Distance Journey / Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know / The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.