Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Hiccups: How To Stop It - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hiccups: How To Stop It (494 Views)

8 Reasons To Stop Drinking Coke Every Day / I Think I Am Dying! And I Can't Stop It!! / 7 Natural Home Remedies To Cure Everything From Hiccups To Headache (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Hiccups: How To Stop It by networkochuko: 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
According to Wikipedia, a hiccup can be defined as an involuntary contraction (myoclonic jerk) of the diaphragm that may repeat several times per minute.

We must have all had hiccups in the past and mostly it just dies down naturally, meaning it just goes on its own without any remedy.
Today, I will be giving you some of the causes of hiccups and how to stop it when it is becoming persistent, chronic or frequent.
Hiccups can be caused by many factor and they include: eating too fast and swallowing air, strokes, brain tumor, noxious fumes, anxiety and stress, drinking and eating too much. In children, hiccups may be associated with crying, coughing or gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
When hiccups becomes chronic (lasting more than 3 hours) it is then severe and the patient must be taken to the hospital for proper medical attention.

However, there are several home remedies for taking care of hiccups and they are listed below.
1. Have someone frighten you. Truly this works like magic, if I were in your shoes and I accidentally saw a friend having hiccups, for a lady, I might just threaten her with a rat, cockroach or act like a ghost, scream like a vampire. Lolz but please don’t scared them to death. (Funny right??)
As for a guy, a hot slap will do (but you are on your own….. smiles) and whatever might be scary for a guy would work. It’s just a trick.
2. Holding your breath. Hmmmmm, I don’t really know if this one works but if it is easy for you, you can as well try it out, holding your breath for a minute or two might just stop that persistent hiccup.
3. Drinking a glass of water. Whenever you experience having a hiccup, all you need to do is to look around for a glass of water or bottle water immediately and have a drink even if you aren’t thirsty. Don’t be surprised if it works for you.
4. Think of something. This actually worked for me when I once had hiccups sometime last month, I drank water, did all manner of stuffs and it couldn’t go away, there was no one to scare me and my room wasn’t scary (some rooms are actually scary, you know what I mean…. Lol) So I just thought of some good times with my friends and family, I really missed them and I was sooooo carried away and then hiccups was gone. That just did the trick.
Other remedies are:
5. Breathing into a paper bag
6. Sipping ice water.
7. Swallowing granulated sugar
8. Biting on a lemon or tasting vinegar
I know you will be smiling right now, so please do yourself some good or help a friend with this tips when hiccups come knocking, all you need do is find a simple one you can do and it will definitely work, I can guarantee that. Remember what works for Mr. A is different from what works for Mr. Z.

Thanks and have a nice day.

http://brightamos..com.ng/2016/08/hiccups-how-to-stop-it.html

(1) (Reply)

How To Permanently Cure Staph Aureus Infection / Test / Please Help My Face. My Fore Head Is Dark And Has Eczema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.