Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,458 members, 7,801,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans (2067 Views)

South Koreans & Europeans Protest Against Muslim Immigrants / More Than 1,000 People Killed In Eastern Ghouta In 2 Weeks, MSF Says. CNN / Robert Mugabe: Africa Must Establish Its Own ICC To Try Europeans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 10:24pm On Aug 10, 2016
Why do these two want to stab a knife on each other soon as one turn a back
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 10:27pm On Aug 10, 2016
[size=16pt]My family doesn't feel safe here any more': eastern Europeans on Brexit[/size]

Since Britain voted to leave the European Union, people have been reporting incidents of racism believed to have been fuelled by the referendum result.

Eastern Europeans, in particular, seem to have been targeted, with suspected racist graffiti found at the Polish Social and Cultural Association (POSK) in Hammersmith, west London.

Cambridgeshire police are investigating reports of racist laminated cards saying “Leave the EU/No More Polish vermin” being distributed in Huntingdon in the hours after Brexit was announced.

The Polish embassy in London said it was deeply concerned by incidents of xenophobic abuse directed against the Polish community since Britain voted to leave the EU.

We asked eastern Europeans around the UK to share their experiences after the referendum:

‘My family doesn’t feel safe in the UK any more’

I feel scared after the referendum. In my workplace I have heard people saying things, such as: “Pack your bags and get the Bleep out.” Followed by, “If you want I can give you a suitcase.” This referendum has not led to communities coming together in any way – the opposite has happened. Now I feel worried about me and my daughter’s future in Britain.

When I was growing up in Poland I experienced racism because my father was from the Middle East. I don’t want my child to feel the same sense of exclusion I did. Three years ago I decided to move permanently to the UK because it’s such a multi-cultural place. Since coming here I have joined classes to improve my English and learned about the country’s culture and history. My whole family used to love England, but now I feel disappointed. I had no idea so many people hated us so much – me and my family have never done anything wrong in England: we have never claimed benefits and we pay taxes, we respect English culture.

I have never had any problems in the UK until now. I feel like an unwanted guest and I have now decided it is time for me and my family to move on. We don’t feel safe any more. It’s very weird how this country has turned completely against us.
Anonymous, 31, Somerset

‘My British colleagues have been very supportive’

I have never claimed any benefits, I work hard and bought a house here with money I brought over from Poland. I am about to marry an Englishman, but now I am reconsidering my future here. I am an EU citizen and value my status. I have the right to be respected and not blamed for all the world’s misery.

The whole referendum campaign was based on hate and due to it I witnessed nasty discussions on how immigrants were stealing everything from the British people. Fortunately in the NHS, where I work as a nurse, there are many people in my situation so we support each other. My British colleagues and employer are also very supportive. I do not understand how the nation could voluntarily choose isolation, and the poverty that comes with it.

‘I’ve been told to go back to Poland – but I was born here’
I’m British by nature – born and bred in Somerset. I have a Polish surname from my grandad, although my mother and grandmother are both English. Since the referendum I’ve heard many comments about going back to Poland, even though I’ve never lived there and was not even born there. I find it utterly disgraceful that people now question where you should live based on your name or how you may look.

I feel the UK is divided and I no longer feel proud to be British. We were finally accepting people for who they wanted to be and now what? The progressive steps we made and fought for, for so long, are now lost in this regressive result.
Anonymous, 27, Somerset

‘I am sad to the bone, but it won’t make me love London less’

I am originally from Romania. After a long and careful consideration, I migrated to London a while ago. It was mainly because of that cultural affinity. I have known the city as a visitor before, but now I know it as a tax-paying, Tube-riding East Ender. I’ve always loved the UK and I love it even more now I live here. I’m sad the UK voted to leave the EU – sad to the bone. But that won’t make me love London less. I’ll always be an anglophile in everything I do or think, from personal life to art, business or politics. I’ll talk, write, dream and curse in English until my last breath. Surely enough, to the natives I will remain an immigrant, and my anglophilia won’t make me a nicer one. But it defines me and it will always keep me here, no matter what happens next.
Stefan Liute, London

‘I have never felt uncomfortable in Britain until now’
I am heartbroken about the result. I have been living here for almost 10 years and must say I have never felt uncomfortable until now. I don’t feel comfortable to speak my own language in the street , as I don’t want to provoke anyone or even to be seen as just another immigrant.

At work my colleagues have made negative comments about eastern Europeans being in the UK. Some of my friends have heard similar things.

Lots of my British friends or colleagues, who are mostly the same age, expressed sadness over the result, saying this is not in their name. They seemed almost apologetic. It reflects the fact that most of the younger generation wanted to stay in the EU.

Britain suddenly seems different. It is not that I believe that I will be forced to leave, it is more the sense of not feeling welcome any more. Also Britain used to be seen by many European countries as a “moral” leader. It was considered an open-minded, welcoming country – this now might have just changed.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 10:28pm On Aug 10, 2016
One east europe said dont call me white today lipsrsealed
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by omololu2020(m): 10:39am On Aug 12, 2016
Abeg...polish are also racist.infact Europeans from the east,are more racist than those from the west......so that's good for them

4 Likes

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by scully95: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2016
419forlife:
[size=16pt]My family doesn't feel safe here any more': eastern Europeans on Brexit[/size]

Since Britain voted to leave the European Union, people have been reporting incidents of racism believed to have been fuelled by the referendum result.

Eastern Europeans, in particular, seem to have been targeted, with suspected racist graffiti found at the Polish Social and Cultural Association (POSK) in Hammersmith, west London.

Cambridgeshire police are investigating reports of racist laminated cards saying “Leave the EU/No More Polish vermin” being distributed in Huntingdon in the hours after Brexit was announced.

The Polish embassy in London said it was deeply concerned by incidents of xenophobic abuse directed against the Polish community since Britain voted to leave the EU.

We asked eastern Europeans around the UK to share their experiences after the referendum:

‘My family doesn’t feel safe in the UK any more’

I feel scared after the referendum. In my workplace I have heard people saying things, such as: “Pack your bags and get the Bleep out.” Followed by, “If you want I can give you a suitcase.” This referendum has not led to communities coming together in any way – the opposite has happened. Now I feel worried about me and my daughter’s future in Britain.

When I was growing up in Poland I experienced racism because my father was from the Middle East. I don’t want my child to feel the same sense of exclusion I did. Three years ago I decided to move permanently to the UK because it’s such a multi-cultural place. Since coming here I have joined classes to improve my English and learned about the country’s culture and history. My whole family used to love England, but now I feel disappointed. I had no idea so many people hated us so much – me and my family have never done anything wrong in England: we have never claimed benefits and we pay taxes, we respect English culture.

I have never had any problems in the UK until now. I feel like an unwanted guest and I have now decided it is time for me and my family to move on. We don’t feel safe any more. It’s very weird how this country has turned completely against us.
Anonymous, 31, Somerset

‘My British colleagues have been very supportive’

I have never claimed any benefits, I work hard and bought a house here with money I brought over from Poland. I am about to marry an Englishman, but now I am reconsidering my future here. I am an EU citizen and value my status. I have the right to be respected and not blamed for all the world’s misery.

The whole referendum campaign was based on hate and due to it I witnessed nasty discussions on how immigrants were stealing everything from the British people. Fortunately in the NHS, where I work as a nurse, there are many people in my situation so we support each other. My British colleagues and employer are also very supportive. I do not understand how the nation could voluntarily choose isolation, and the poverty that comes with it.

‘I’ve been told to go back to Poland – but I was born here’
I’m British by nature – born and bred in Somerset. I have a Polish surname from my grandad, although my mother and grandmother are both English. Since the referendum I’ve heard many comments about going back to Poland, even though I’ve never lived there and was not even born there. I find it utterly disgraceful that people now question where you should live based on your name or how you may look.

I feel the UK is divided and I no longer feel proud to be British. We were finally accepting people for who they wanted to be and now what? The progressive steps we made and fought for, for so long, are now lost in this regressive result.
Anonymous, 27, Somerset

‘I am sad to the bone, but it won’t make me love London less’

I am originally from Romania. After a long and careful consideration, I migrated to London a while ago. It was mainly because of that cultural affinity. I have known the city as a visitor before, but now I know it as a tax-paying, Tube-riding East Ender. I’ve always loved the UK and I love it even more now I live here. I’m sad the UK voted to leave the EU – sad to the bone. But that won’t make me love London less. I’ll always be an anglophile in everything I do or think, from personal life to art, business or politics. I’ll talk, write, dream and curse in English until my last breath. Surely enough, to the natives I will remain an immigrant, and my anglophilia won’t make me a nicer one. But it defines me and it will always keep me here, no matter what happens next.
Stefan Liute, London

‘I have never felt uncomfortable in Britain until now’
I am heartbroken about the result. I have been living here for almost 10 years and must say I have never felt uncomfortable until now. I don’t feel comfortable to speak my own language in the street , as I don’t want to provoke anyone or even to be seen as just another immigrant.

At work my colleagues have made negative comments about eastern Europeans being in the UK. Some of my friends have heard similar things.

Lots of my British friends or colleagues, who are mostly the same age, expressed sadness over the result, saying this is not in their name. They seemed almost apologetic. It reflects the fact that most of the younger generation wanted to stay in the EU.

Britain suddenly seems different. It is not that I believe that I will be forced to leave, it is more the sense of not feeling welcome any more. Also Britain used to be seen by many European countries as a “moral” leader. It was considered an open-minded, welcoming country – this now might have just changed.

Your story is too long.. But the truth is hate is everywhere in Europe.. Even the polish do not like the Germans one bit.. Same way the Ukrainians do not like the polish too. Truth be told, there is no point enforcing a union or forming another united state of Europe. This is the same idea that is messing Nigeria up today. It's even worse in this side of the world, as if that is not enough, we still even get bad leadership. If Nigeria gets good leaders,no one will notice this huge problem mostly in the eastern side and northern part of the country.

The Europe project is a failed idea right from the onset and the reason is simply because of u.S, the Jews/anglozionist empire one world order ambition. It's actually their project but now falling apart just like soviet state. lesson here is, don't enforce your idealism on others. it will sell for a while but not forever.

it's now the old Europe vs the new Europe. truth be told, the real issue is old Europe does not want war in which the u.s/nato is pushing them to do the war bidding while they just watch the old Europe civilization get destroyed again.. the new Europe is ready to die and be pushed to commit suicide.brexit means a lot of things, not just new Europe and terrorists trooping in en-mass. a typical example of new europe is romania,poland,czech republic, the baltics with the exception of hugary. brexit is a strong message to the brussels, a u.s/anglozionist permanent puppet in europe that controls the power.

I will just advice you to look after yourself for now until you make that final decision.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 6:13am On Aug 13, 2016
Meh this reply make me so tired.

Truth is that eastern europeans do not want to be seen as white even serbians say dont call me that. Very same way the greeks say these people are barbarian we dont want to be like them. Listen, truth be told there might not be a point for making these two one race. Same idea messing up Nigeria today muslim and a christian govern one country bad idea bad leadership.

It will now be western europeans vs eastern europeans truth be told they look more handsome. The eastern europe is ready to offer tertiary output for the chinese/mongoltaoist kingdom.

Well for now have a bite and have some sleep too much decision to make.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-uk-military-tensions-british-troops-aircrafts-eastern-europe-latest-a7382996.html

Again why does it seem these two will not get along?

More important why can it seem the world will get along with the East Europe man but not the West Europe man

The problem with the world is not Europeans but WESTERN Europeans.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by panafrican(m): 8:16pm On Oct 30, 2016
Because Eastern Europeans are more inclined to justice, family values and honest international relations than the warmonger and homosexual western Europeans.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 9:11pm On Mar 05, 2017
http://www.euractiv.com/section/health-consumers/news/lower-quality-of-same-food-brands-in-eastern-europe-raises-eyebrows/

Lower quality of same food brands in Eastern Europe raises eyebrows

This is troubling hope my friends there in macedonia do OK.

Ukraine so much shame here they could be eating the beef stroganoff instead they want to fight mama russia sad
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:32pm On Mar 17, 2017
Two-speed Europe highlights East-West divide

https://www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/two-speed-europe-highlights-east-west-divide/

“The Versailles summit does not look so good if you come from one of the small member states,” said Hungarian MEP György Schöpflin at a debate organised by the Club Grande Europe in Paris on Tuesday (7 March). For this member of Hungary’s governing Fidesz party, if these countries “continue to push for a hard core in the EU they will end up distancing the Central and Eastern European member states”.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:34pm On Mar 17, 2017
Bulgarian MEP compares two-speed EU to apartheid

http://www.euractiv.com/section/future-eu/news/bulgarian-mep-compares-two-speed-eu-to-apartheid/

Speaking on Nova TV, a Bulgarian public channel, on 4 March, Kouroumbashev said that if some of the Commission’s scenarios for the future of the Union were implemented, he would not be surprised if the European Parliament were to open “separate toilets for Eastern Europeans” soon after.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:35pm On Mar 17, 2017
This thing needs a Global attention undecided
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:39pm On Mar 17, 2017
Greece and sicily might as well be better off joining african brothers and become the puerto rico and hawaii of mama Africa grin

1 Like

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 12:09am On May 07, 2017
Kaczynski’s Poland vs Europe

http://visegradinsight.eu/kaczynskis-poland-vs-europe/

However, it is the entire framework of Euro-Polish relations that seem to be shaky. In its attitude to European issues, Kaczynski’s Poland seems almost ill at ease, if not resentful, as seen at recent EU summits. And this is surprising, considering that among the countries that joined Europe in 2004, Poland is perhaps the one that has enjoyed the most benefits from this membership.

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:25pm On May 14, 2017
Central and Eastern Europe trapped in low wage spiral

https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/central-and-eastern-europe-trapped-in-low-wage-spiral/

Low wages have been harming Central European economies since the crisis. According to a recent study, salaries fell to below 30% of the German average while productivity grew steadily.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by 419forlife: 8:28pm On May 14, 2017
Orthodox Christians in Central and Eastern Europe favor strong role for Russia in geopolitics, religion

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/05/11/orthodox-christians-in-central-and-eastern-europe-favor-strong-role-for-russia-in-geopolitics-religion/

Roughly a quarter century after the end of the Soviet era, Russia retains substantial influence throughout many parts of Central and Eastern Europe. Indeed, Russia is widely viewed by the region’s Orthodox Christians as an important counterweight to Western influences and as a global protector of Orthodox and ethnic Russian populations, according to a new Pew Research Center survey of 18 countries in Central and Eastern Europe.

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 10:54pm On Jun 20, 2017
Eastern Europe turns back on single market

http://www.politico.eu/article/eastern-europe-versus-the-single-market/

Eastern Europeans have many reasons to fear that they are not getting a fair deal — one of their most common complaints is that their subsidies from the EU’s €58-billion-a-year Common Agricultural Policy have been calculated at lower levels than Western countries.

The European Commission has also laid itself open to accusations of double standards by not challenging France and Italy over behavior also traditionally seen as a threat to the single market — such as mandatory origin labels on food that are viewed as a way to boosting local French and Italian producers.

undecided
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by jantavanta(m): 4:00pm On Jun 22, 2017
1) The split of the Roman Empire in 285 CE in to the Eastern (headquartered in Constantinopole) and Western(headquartered in Rome) Roman Empires.
2) The East West Schism of 1054 was the break communion between between what is now the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches
3) Easterns did not go about colonizing everybody else's natural resources.

All the above makes Western Europe different from Eastern Europe.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 5:53pm On Jun 22, 2017
Hello jantavanta smiley

I'm more favorable to easterns myself I don't believe easterns had much choice in undertaking colonial expeditions due to the ottomans and russians then.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by jantavanta(m): 9:14am On Jun 23, 2017
reverendwillie:
Hello jantavanta smiley

I'm more favorable to easterns myself I don't believe easterns had much choice in undertaking colonial expeditions due to the ottomans and russians then.

Oh Yes reverendwillie! smiley
Transylvania's Vlad The Impaler(template for Count Dracula the vampire) hated the Ottoman Turkish Empire.

Mother Russia suffocated her Union of Soviet Socialist Republic(USSR) "satellite countries" of Eastern Europe.

Therefore Eastern Europeans could not participate in Transatlantic Slav Trade, sorry, Slav e Trade. wink
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 4:10pm On Jun 24, 2017
smileyJantavanta it's a pleasure you make some interesting posts, also please feel free to visit the thread below there's some really interesting things happening in the congo.

https://www.nairaland.com/3706077/42-police-ambushed-beheaded-congolese#57707560

1 Like

Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 5:49pm On Jul 03, 2017
China's 16+1 foray into Central and Eastern Europe

https://euobserver.com/eu-china/138347

The focus on infrastructure shows that China considers Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) a full part of the One Belt-One Road initiative – an investment and infrastructure plan, spanning from China to the Middle-East and Africa through to Central Asia.

"Southern and Eastern Europe are a testing ground for the Belt and Road," Anastas Vangeli, from the Polish Academy of Sciences, told EUobserver.

He said that 16+1 was more an "experiment" than a "Chinese plan", and that Beijing tries "to see whether this type of diplomacy can help them boost economic relations."

"To put it very simply, the whole idea is to find ways to boost the economy outside China, to generate demand for Chinese goods," Vangeli said, adding: "And these are not cheap goods: high speed railways, satellites systems or nuclear technology."

Agatha Kratz, from the European Council on Foreign Relations, a London-based think-tank, told EUobserver that: "The first idea was to treat CEE as Asia and Africa."

lipsrsealed
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 5:34pm On Jul 16, 2017
Why central and eastern European children lag behind in British schools

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21725019-their-status-new-arrivals-only-part-explanation-why-central-and-eastern-european

Poverty makes things harder. Parents who work every available shift have little energy to chase after work-shy children. Some 68% of Lithuanian-speaking children and 63% of Polish-speakers live in poor areas, where schools tend to be worse. They have settled across the country, following work rather than existing communities, so many end up in areas with little experience of immigration. As Elzbieta Kardynal, a Polish educationalist, says: “If schools don’t have the knowledge and capacity, these children are put in the lowest sets…with all the naughty kids.”
When GCSE results are adjusted for factors such as the uptake of free school meals (a proxy for poverty), geography and date of arrival, Polish pupils outperform white Britons, according to Steve Strand of Oxford University. Yet, even accounting for these factors, children from other countries are still behind: Romanians, Lithuanians and Latvians by the equivalent of three GCSE grades; Slovaks by ten.
The difference may be partly cultural. The first wave of Polish pupils had a reputation for being particularly diligent. One head teacher says that, in her experience, Lithuanians are more likely than others to do paid work alongside their studies—partly because they are poorer and partly because their parents tend to place less emphasis on education. The problem is biggest among the Roma population. Having escaped terrible prejudice, many are reluctant to come into contact with local authorities. Some parents are unwilling to send their children—particularly girls—to secondary school to mix with non-Roma.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 5:37pm On Jul 16, 2017
Eastern Europeans are being pigeonholed mates undecided
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 6:52pm On Aug 13, 2017
France's Macron, on Eastern Europe trip, to raise issue of cheap labor

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-easteurope-macron-idUSKBN1AN1G9

French President Emmanuel Macron will press for rules to better protect French workers from what they see as unfair labor competition from eastern Europe during a visit to the region later this month, an official said on Monday.

Macron has pledged to take steps to counter "social dumping" in France in which companies employ cheaper labor from the poorer eastern European states, threatening French workers' jobs.

undecided
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 3:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
The East-West divide in the EU is reaching a critical point

http://www.businessinsider.com/east-west-divide-eu-reaching-critical-point-2017-9

As the European Union has expanded its membership, more seats at the table have meant more diverging opinions on how the EU should operate.

These divisions have widened in the wake of the refugee crisis and exacerbated existing gaps between the West and the East, between “core” Europe and newer members, between the more affluent nations and the less well-off.
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 9:31pm On Nov 05, 2017
Can China lead Greece out of darkness?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-23887509

Eastern promise

"China and Greece have a long history," says the guide, Zhange He. "And we understand each other so we want to travel here. In the last couple of years, the Chinese economy is getting good so we can spend more money here to help the Greek economy."

"Greeks are shifting more towards the east," says another student, Efi Belsi. "The economy there is better than in Europe or even the United States. People want a better future so they are looking towards China."

lipsrsealed
Re: Western Europeans Vs Eastern Europeans by reverendwillie: 6:08pm On Dec 31, 2017
Growing divisions between east and west Europe set to be 'bigger worry than Brexit' for EU

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/898220/europe-news-eastern-europe-poland-hungary-bigger-worry-than-brexit-news-eu-uk

The growing rifts between east and west Europe look set to plunge the European Union into a fresh crisis in the new year as Poland and Hungary continue to rebel against the bloc’s push for more integration.

(1) (Reply)

California Wildfire, Powerful Heroic Funeral Of A Fallen Firefighter (Photos) / Fresh Airstrike In Baghdad Terminates 6 Iraqi Militia Leaders / Republicans Push To Legalize First Cousin's Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.