Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares (27589 Views)

Nigerian Military Declares IPOB As A "Militant Terrorist Organisation" / I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares / SSA To Adams Oshiomhole Declares For PDP Governorship Candidate Pastor Ize-iyamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by ukomko: 5:48am On Aug 11, 2016
Abuja – Gov. Adams Oshiomhole says for any government to make progress, it must maintain a national minimum wage.

Oshiomhole said this in Abuja on Wednesday during a forum tagged ‘The Podium’, organised by The Kukah Centre in collaboration with the Ford Foundation.

The programme, which seeks an interface between the electorate and policy makers, had the theme: “From Activism to Political Power: The Challenges of Democratic Governance in Nigeria”.

According to Oshiomhole, a labourer is worthy of his wages, meaning if an employer is owing, he is breaching a contract.

“’This is where I’m different. I still insist any government who wants to be taken seriously must have a national minimum wage.

“We must maintain a national minimum wage, look for ways to increase it; that is what I still advocate for.”

Giving an informal account of his stewardship and why he carried out most of his actions, the governor said he stayed true to his activism years by not owing salaries.

He explained that as a former factory worker himself, he understood the importance of wages and that was why he increased workers salaries in Edo by 38 per cent.

“Activism is not synonymous with being progressive. I believe we should all be idealistic and not dismiss the possibility of an ideal society.

“One man’s idealism is another man’s reality. Wages paid to people is not burden.

“In Edo we increased it to 38 per cent and I’m proud to still pay before the last day of every month.”
He explained that complaints about salaries from the state were mostly about the 18 months pension arrears he inherited and the inability of local governments to pay their staff.

“We respect the autonomy of the Local Government but we insisted that if they cannot do environmental sanitation, waste management, grading rural roads, cleaning up the market at least you must pay the teachers’ salaries.

“So I am not responsible for non-payment at that level. Non-payment of wages is a criminal breach in the law of contract.

“You can pay daily, weekly, monthly but not in excess of 30 days, you are breaching the agreement.”

Oshiomhole said as an activist he was in governance to know the ropes, know how to help people and counter concepts like god-fatherism in politics.

“I have been militant, will remain a militant and retire a militant not with guns. I don’t burst pipelines but we must react to sayings like the ‘if you can’t beat them join them’.”

The Chairman of the occasion, former Gov. Donald Duke of Rivers, said he advocates improvement in society.

“Sadly politicians in our society are merely jobbers and budget padders. We advocate improvement and not change.

“We had a violent change in 1966, so change is not necessarily the way to go. Improvements however makes things happen, develops societies and affects the people positively.”
Bishop Mathew Kukah, the Convener of the event, said the essence of the forum was to design programmes that encourage debate and free exchange of ideas.

“To serve as a mediating platform between the government, citizens and communities.
“Also, to enhance the quality of leadership training at all levels both in the public and non-governmental sectors.”

Activists from all sectors and relevant stakeholders attended the event.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/oshiomhole-says-progressive-govts-must-maintain-national-minimum-wage/

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by ukomko: 5:48am On Aug 11, 2016
Yea he is a militant right from NLC era
For more hookup on
http://biafrasay.com/p/322388/i-am-a-militant-oshiomhole-declares
Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by amtaken(f): 5:52am On Aug 11, 2016
This is a case of a hoe advising young girls to keep their virginity intact.

We have heard.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by kossyablaze(m): 5:55am On Aug 11, 2016
Old man go give ur wife belle... If u r not able, Holla at ur boi cool

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by itskinglee(m): 5:57am On Aug 11, 2016
cheesy cheesy
amtaken:

We have heard.
grin

5 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Jengem: 6:43am On Aug 11, 2016
True

A militant of fugliness

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by mazimee(m): 6:58am On Aug 11, 2016
amtaken:

We have heard.

Now this is damn funny, the comparison is spot on grin

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Isoni(m): 8:04am On Aug 11, 2016
Okonjo Iweala looking at Oshiomhole like...

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Kenneth205(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
Yay! My governor

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by CHANNELStv2020: 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
APC ARE JOKES

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Babangida70(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
What has Iara been feeding Oshiomhole with?? This man just dey talk foolishly since he married that geh

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Zico5(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
This man may be bad but what u can't take away from him is his sagacity. We need somebody like this once a while in our polity. A no nonsense man indeed, militant without gun and a courageous indeed.

6 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by WASMOG(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
Mcheew thought he was among the scavengers

So why highlighting the Militant as if it was something to worry about

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by kstix(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
He's mostly right. But as a public political figure, there are certain words that are senstive and can be misconstrued.. Saying ''I'm a militant'' as a governor or mayor in d US amid looming militant crisis could get some serious backlash.

3 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Lucasthom91(m): 8:05am On Aug 11, 2016
what!!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Toluwani113: 8:06am On Aug 11, 2016
O7HIOMOLE AVENGERs

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Nobody: 8:07am On Aug 11, 2016
Yes....Penile Erectiion Militant!

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by LMAyedun(m): 8:07am On Aug 11, 2016
Oshiomhole has gone mad again.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by niceguy7(m): 8:07am On Aug 11, 2016
I think he gat to be kidding

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Primusinterpares(m): 8:08am On Aug 11, 2016
By their words we shall know them... Fg...swing into action asap...

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by obaival(m): 8:08am On Aug 11, 2016
What is d different btwn military & militant, ar de nt mili mili

3 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Slymonster(m): 8:08am On Aug 11, 2016
right on baba

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by sixtus3606(m): 8:09am On Aug 11, 2016
amtaken:

We have heard.
grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Shortyy(f): 8:09am On Aug 11, 2016
Ok o. let us all form our own group and burn down Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by Lanretoye(m): 8:09am On Aug 11, 2016
okay me self i be avenger.

2 Likes

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by bankyblue(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2016
Hh
Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by arisanate(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2016
OSHOMOLE DURING GIS MILITANT DAYS
Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by smartmoses(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2016
Adams is one of a member of militant called MEND as he said.I believe him

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by arisanate(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2016
OSHOMOLE DURING HIS MILITANT DAYS

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by 5starmilitant: 8:11am On Aug 11, 2016
Kikikikiki. We will only take you serious when we see that you have impregnated your albino.

1 Like

Re: I Am A Militant – Oshiomhole Declares by richidinho(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2016
grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Change Of Tactics In The North Checkmates Obj And Catches Jonathan In A Trap / Buratai Visits Soldiers & UN Staff & Others Wounded By Boko Haram (Pics) / Breakdown Of Budget 2018 Proposal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.