Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,416 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:01 PM

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) (23693 Views)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji 29 Years Later. / Pictures Of NFF Branded Wine Bottles For Use After Tomorrow's Match / Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 28 Years After (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by NigerianTabloid: 7:53am On Aug 11, 2016
Tomorrow, 12th of August, 2016, makes it exactly 27 year since the exit of Nigeria’s first football martyr, Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji‎.

The sad event occurred on a tension-soaked Saturday, 12th August, 1989, during a make or mar Italia 1990 World Cup qualifier match, between the Green Eagles and the boastful Angolan side. The pulsating encounter was held at the now pathetic and rickety National Stadium, in Surulere, Lagos.

http://www.tabloidnig.com/2016/08/27-years-after-remembering-sochukwuma.html

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by locosis007(m): 7:59am On Aug 11, 2016
Rip to him

After your death . the national team are still struggling and politics has killed NFF

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by nonjebose(m): 8:11am On Aug 11, 2016
Keshi scored the lone goal on that day. Hope you guys have seen each other. Continue to rest in peace.

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Mayor38(m): 11:42am On Aug 11, 2016
Rest in peace ✌ ko
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by legalwealth(m): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2016
RIP
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by OVI75(m): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2016
NCA,Oya Do Yr Work.
We MST Grow above sentiments, BT If We Can't, Then We MST Move Separate ways.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by biddieluvzyaho(f): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2016
Rest on bro....but op,today Na 11th Na abi my calendar d reverse in?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by spacyzuma(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2016
I was too young to watch/remember that game, but I remember how sad my dad and uncles were whenever they mentioned Sam Okwaraji.
HE was also a qualified lawyer. HE studied law while playing football in Europe.

RIP.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Longevo(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2016
I've not seen him play. Heard that he was a good player and died in active service.
You'll always be remembered, rest in peace!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by whizfache(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2016
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Opistorincos(m): 11:44am On Aug 11, 2016
Rip to this great man, you and Keshia should recruit an heavenly dream team vi

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by fikayor2(m): 11:45am On Aug 11, 2016
I was born a week after his death

4 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by MadCow1: 11:45am On Aug 11, 2016
Lalasticlala...

Today is my Birthday..

My Birthday is the 11th of August..

Sam Okparaji died on the 12th of August not the 11th..

Thanks....

11 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Vikto: 11:46am On Aug 11, 2016
May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by tysontim(m): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2016
he took part in the India 99-0 debacle

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by smartoliver(m): 11:46am On Aug 11, 2016
Continue Resting In Peace..you are an hero...definitely wasn't born den
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Nobody: 11:48am On Aug 11, 2016
Vikto:
May his soul rest in peace.
Amen bro.....amen.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by StoneLucifer: 11:49am On Aug 11, 2016
Today is 11th not 12th August..RIP Sam.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Osmondinho(m): 11:49am On Aug 11, 2016
Anything You are doing in this Country... You should always bear Two important Things in Mind. . .

1) Always Collect Your Pay From the Nation

2) Never... I repeat Never you die in the course of Your Duty for the Country...

No one will Remember You!!

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by ALAYORMII: 11:49am On Aug 11, 2016
Ohhh Okwaraji

Ohhh Okwaraji

Iwo nikan lowo baba. (Only child of Ur dad)

Iwo nikan lowo mama. (Only child of Ur mum)

Tiwon ba ngba boolu lorun. (If they play ball in Heaven)

Ko ge won lege ara. (Dribble them in a special way)

Rest on Samuel

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by hausatiff: 11:49am On Aug 11, 2016
hea
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Goodeeman: 11:50am On Aug 11, 2016
OP today is 11th not 12th August. Rest in peace Nigerian legend. StoneLucifer u 're a copy-cat.
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by publicenemy(m): 11:51am On Aug 11, 2016
Rip
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Onyenna(m): 11:52am On Aug 11, 2016
RIP Sam
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by TROL(m): 11:52am On Aug 11, 2016
He lives on!
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by RealAdewole(m): 11:53am On Aug 11, 2016
tysontim:
he took part in the India 99-0 debacle
that national lie we all believed

1 Like

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Proffdada: 11:53am On Aug 11, 2016
Goodeeman:
OP today is 11th not 12th August.
I tire o. Even the MOD na bebeto
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Philinho(m): 11:53am On Aug 11, 2016
He was a great player.... How time fly
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by FroshGirl(m): 11:53am On Aug 11, 2016
I thought its the guy killed by India
Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by naptu2: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2016
Today is actually the 11th.

My dad and others were at the stadium, but I watched the match on tv at home. I saw when Okwaraji collapsed, when one of the players (I've forgotten who) put his hands on his head in alarm and when Okwaraji was stretchered into the ambulance. I assumed that he was alive and expected to read updates on his condition in the papers the next day.

I also saw as some fans were being carried over the fence and stretchered to the athletics track where Red Cross officials were attending to them. The stadium was too full and it seemed that the gates were opened during the second half and there was a scuffle between people who were trying to get into the arena and people who were trying to get out. Some people suffocated, while others were trampled.

But my uncle (who played for Nigeria in the '50s and '60s) showed up at the house after the match. "Where is ****" (my dad). "He's not back", I replied.

"They've killed this boy o!", my uncle exclaimed. I asked who and he replied that Okwaraji was dead. I didn't believe him. "But they put him in the ambulance", I replied. My uncle grew angry. "Which ambulance? Which ambulance? The boy was dead on the pitch. The ambulance was just for show, so that the crowd wouldn't panic".

I still refused to believe him, but I didn't argue, because I could see that he was upset. Instead, I went to my room and prayed, hoped and wished that Okwaraji was still alive. But unfortunately, it was reported on the NTA News that Okwaraji was dead. cry

This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering Samuel Okwaraji: 27 Years After (Tomorrow) by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 11, 2016

i Don't know him undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Messi Didn't Break Pele's Record - Santos / Oshoala Scores Another Brace As Barcelona Defeat Huelva In The Queen's Cup. / Arsenal Fans Beg Arteta To Stop Signing "Chelsea Rejects" Like Hazard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.