Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded (819 Views)

Police Recover N18mn, $ 19,000 In Goje’s House, Says 2017 Budget Not Seized / El-Rufai Published State Security Budget, Not His Security Vote"– Reps Spokesman / Northern Elders Write Buhari "2016 Budget Not Favourable To The North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by jmoore(m): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2016

Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded

The Presidency on Tuesday said the 2016 budget, which President Muhammadu Buhari signed into law, was not padded.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang; and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Mr. Ismail Kawu, made the Presidency’s position on the lingering crisis in the House of Representatives known when they appeared before the leadership of the ruling All Progressives Congress at the party’s headquarters.

They told the party leaders that they were at the headquarters to make the Presidency’s position on the matter known.

But members of the Transparency Group, a group of lawmakers backing the former Chairman, House Committee on Appropriation, Abdulmumin Jibrin, faulted the Presidency

, insisting that the allegation of padding should be investigated.

Jibrin had accused the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara, and some officers of the House of padding the 2016 budget.

The APC had intervened in the matter last week, as its leadership separately met with Dogara and Jibrin. The efforts, however, failed.

Enang, while addressing journalists after the meeting on Tuesday, said, “I am here on the invitation of the APC leadership with my colleague (Kawu) to answer questions on the 2016 Appropriation Act.

“We have given explanation on every issue. There is nothing, to our knowledge, like padding of the budget. The budget, as assented to by the President, is the budget passed by the National Assembly and it is being executed.

“For now, the party is handling it as a domestic issue; a party issue. All of us have been told not to make public comments because the matter is still under consideration.

“We will not want to go into the details so that we will not breach the party’s directive or pre-empt the outcome of the party’s probe.’’

When asked if the Presidency had cleared Dogara of padding the budget, Enang said the Presidency would not “draw conclusions.”

He said, “I will say we came here as persons who work as liaison officers on the budget. The party wanted us to make clarifications and we have made those clarifications.

“We will not draw any conclusion. Please, let us not go too far by mentioning any office. Let it be that two of us have appeared before the party.”

When asked again if the Presidency’s denial of the padding of the budget had dismissed Jibrin’s allegation, Enang stated that there was nothing like padding in the legislature.

He said the legislature had the constitutional duty to amend the Appropriation Bill sent to it by the President.

“In all our years of legislative engagement, we have yet to find in the legislative lexicon the word, ‘padding.’ When the budget is presented before the legislature, the legislature is to consider the budget and pass as it deems fit.

“So, what the legislature passes becomes the Appropriation Act upon assent. Therefore, any word which has yet to crystallise in legislative lexicon, you cannot hear us mention it.”

The Transparency Group, however, insisted on investigation, urging Enang to advise President Buhari appropriately.

One of the members, Baballe Bashir, told The PUNCH that the zonal intervention projects of lawmakers had exposed the “rot” in budgeting process in the country.

Bashir said the budget was for the nation and not an “avenue for a few persons to allocate huge resources to their areas to the exclusion of other areas simply because they are principal officers.”

He added, “With his vast experience as a former parliamentarian, what Enang should do is to advise the President to clean up the country’s budgetary process.

“This is not just about whether there is padding or not. Our budgeting process has problems that must be addressed. So, let him advise the President appropriately, looking at the allegations raised by Jibrin.”

The group stated that it members were not working for Jibrin, but only found his allegations to be in tandem with the fight the group started in June.

Another member of the group, Mr. Musa Soba, expressed surprise over Enang’s comments.

He stated, “He must have been misquoted. We still feel there is enough evidence to warrant an investigation.”

I stand by my demand for probe – Jibrin

In a statement on Tuesday, Jibrin repeated his allegations against Dogara and other officers, saying he stood by his demand for their probe.

The statement read in part, “…Now that I have exposed the fact that Speaker Dogara and the three others have padded the budget, padding is no longer an offence. Shame!

“There is massive individual and institutional corruption in the House of Representatives. All Nigerians have a responsibility to avail themselves of this rare opportunity to flush out corruption in the House.’’

Meanwhile, the secretariat of the House Committee on Appropriation, which was shut 10 days ago by the Department of State Services, remained closed on Tuesday.

Source>> http://punchng.com/presidency-backs-dogara-says-budget-not-padded/
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by hungryboy(m): 8:21am On Aug 11, 2016
What were you guys expecting from the DOD(dullard of Daura),
Dogara padded the budget at his behest,
The cow herder as usual, is paying other people to do his dirty work

1 Like

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Lanretoye(m): 8:21am On Aug 11, 2016
even my baby knows the budget is padded but he told me there is nothing he can do cos he is yet unborn.
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 11, 2016
Reward of being loyal

2 Likes

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Luckylife(m): 8:28am On Aug 11, 2016
Government of padding for the padding by the padders .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by kossyablaze(m): 8:28am On Aug 11, 2016
I expected nothingless..Wasn't shocked one bit..... Brukutu sipping dullard.... I regret the day I thumb printed for u.... I was so gullible and naive, thinking u are morally upright cry

2 Likes

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Panzerfaust(m): 8:29am On Aug 11, 2016
Only a coup will save Nigeria from this fiasco called democracy.
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Ebukaidoko(m): 8:33am On Aug 11, 2016
I heard Brazilian senators voted for the impeachment trial for their 01, i think its time for the national assembly to do the needful

1 Like

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:40am On Aug 11, 2016
Ebukaidoko:
I heard Brazilian senators voted for the impeachment trial for their 01, i think its time for the national assembly to do the needful
impeachment process in Brazil is different from that of Nigeria. it is virtually impossible to impeach a Nigeria President.

1 Like

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by malele(m): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2016
Ndi integrity make u dey see am ooo

Nigerians voted for sophisticated thief

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Ebukaidoko(m): 8:51am On Aug 11, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
impeachment process in Brazil is different from that of Nigeria. it is virtually impossible to impeach a Nigeria President.

Chai! How i wish it can easily be done in naija, All those politicians, they are the one destroying this country and the worst thing is that we the masses keep on hailing and supporting them even when they are wrong. The way things are now, I don't even think God is willing to help Nigeria because we are not helping ourselves
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Paperwhite(m): 9:48am On Aug 11, 2016
kossyablaze:
I expected nothingless..Wasn't shocked one bit..... Brukutu sipping dullard.... I regret the day I thumb printed for u.... I was so gullible and naive, thinking u are morally upright cry
Haba bro.You also? undecided.Well we're together in the struggle to liberate this country from the grip of these useless leaders that have no iota of compassion for the masses.
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by kossyablaze(m): 9:50am On Aug 11, 2016
Paperwhite:
Haba bro.You also? undecided.Well we're together in the struggle to liberate this country from the grip of these useless leaders that have no iota of compassion for the masses.
I Bleep up
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by AllTheWayUp: 9:56am On Aug 11, 2016
grin grin grin

Hon Jibirin has killed and buried himself politically

Dogara 1 vs Tinubu/Gbajamila 0

The dullard called Buhari will support his corrupt Abo-ki brother (Dogara) over any Afonja or Abobaku (Tinubu & Gbajamila )

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Paperwhite(m): 10:01am On Aug 11, 2016
The truth is APC was birthed on the foundation of lies,hypocrisy, propaganda, vendetta etc among many vested interests. No well-defined political ideology of any sort hence all the gladiators concerned have to play dirty to outwit one another in the game but in the process they spoilt the broth.Now they must deny the obvious truth to sustain their stay but they are yet to understand that they've since lost the good will of the masses.Why is Lai Muhammed not talking about this budget controversy or his is no more the minister of lies & propaganda? Karma is waiting for them all.

1 Like

Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by VampireeM(f): 10:07am On Aug 11, 2016
Enang, while addressing journalists after the meeting on Tuesday, said, “I am here on the invitation of the APC leadership with my colleague (Kawu) to answer questions on the 2016 Appropriation Act.

“We have given explanation on every issue. There is nothing, to our knowledge, like padding of the budget. The budget, as assented to by the President, is the budget passed by the National Assembly and it is being executed.

“For now, the party is handling it as a domestic issue; a party issue. All of us have been told not to make public comments because the matter is still under consideration.

“We will not want to go into the details so that we will not breach the party’s directive or pre-empt the outcome of the party’s probe.’’

APC is Just Scam and Rogues! Seems like Senator Enang was Lie Mohammed's Intern.. Family Affair?? I hope in 2019 APC wont expect votes from Nigerians since the issue of padding and corruption is now an APC party affair undecided
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Paperwhite(m): 10:08am On Aug 11, 2016
kossyablaze:
I Bleep up
Welcome dear! We all err but let's always learn from them.Keep it up. smiley
Re: Presidency backs Dogara, says budget not padded by Izonpikin: 10:09am On Aug 11, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
grin....It was made difficult so that we can make do with incompetent presidents for the rest of our lives.... cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Is Nigeria Moving Backward Instead Of Moving Forward / See Photo Of Another Blunder By Our Finance Minister / Obaseki APC Candidate Will Turn Edo State To Dubai If Elected -APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.