Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,144 members, 7,780,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:21 AM

WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again (27118 Views)

Whogohost Or Qservers: Which Host Should I Use? (poll) / Which Is Preferable; Whogohost Or Web4africa? / I Want To Start An Online Store Please Help With Best Nigerian Host (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by ugosonics: 6:26am On Aug 13, 2016
I will advice most webmasters here to try site ground Click Here to register. They are the best.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Raypawer(m): 6:26am On Aug 13, 2016
And dollar scarsity is not helping matters,

1 Like

Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 13, 2016
I feel really bad for whogohost, I do. I love seeing services like theirs come to Nigeria and stay. We should not always be running abroad when we have our own right here. The fact, sadly, is until our own companies sit up and take things seriously, we can't sacrifice satisfaction on the altar of patriotism. I use a foreign host. I will continue to do that until Nigerian companies attain a level of professionalism in service. I use IPage. Never had a minute of downtime. Never.

1 Like

Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by miracle4(m): 6:42am On Aug 13, 2016
spikesC:
Cloudfare does not and can never reduce traffic to your website. All cloudfare does, like any other CDN, is cache your static resources and serve it to your visitor without the need to hit your server again. Your access logs can confirm reduced traffic but all external analytics would report the accurate traffic data as your browser would still send those data to them.

Everyone knows hosting companies cannot reliably backup your data without an extra charge. Even cloud services with all their vast storage facilities would never backup your data. This one is your own doing. You should setup external backup systems to run as regularly as you wish.

Finally, you have been on a hosting company with 83.333% uptime for a number of months? That is an indication you shouldn't even be there at the first place. So, it is your own doing wink
their security feature can stop traffic from some locations or IP addresses they deem as high-risk
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by nawebco(m): 6:50am On Aug 13, 2016
Above all, can someone suggest a foreign host that accept naira payment. or how do you pay?

thanks, waiting to migrate soonest
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by GlorifiedTunde(m): 6:55am On Aug 13, 2016
hostkobo:
@javijabor1

I stopped using Nigerian companies for my webhosting since I got scammed by Web4Africa.

Since then, my customers have been enjoying and havent bothered me with complaints.

Please refer your friend to get in touch with me. No hassles webhosting

regardst
HK

Are you using the Nigerian Web4Africa or the South African?
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by litaninja(m): 7:00am On Aug 13, 2016
Loving the Nigerian host I use...
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Emeka71(m): 7:11am On Aug 13, 2016
So Nigerian host is not that reliable.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 13, 2016
ITbomb:
Bottom line

If you are an upcoming blogger (ie your blog is not making above N50k a month), get a domain name and stay with Blogger otherwise get a Premium account with a good host company.

All stories about Google preferring WordPress over Blogger is a big lie, all Google wants is a good content.
To make this good content available for Google bots to crawl is your full time job.

WordPress might make the work easier with plug-ins but if you can understand meta tags usage, search console and backlinks, you can outrank any WordPress blog easily
GBAM!!! U jst summed it up.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:31am On Aug 13, 2016
One of those stories that touch....
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by javijabor1(m): 7:32am On Aug 13, 2016
miracle4:
their security feature can stop traffic from some locations or IP addresses they deem as high-risk

Thank you my brother.

I just no wan talk too much with the guy. Some people just feel they know too much even when I said I experimented it.

What he said up there just proves he does not know the real function of a CDN.

The 1st function is security.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by uvalued(m): 7:42am On Aug 13, 2016
hmm i read something interesting about cloudflare on this thread... will it be useful on a school portal and if no, why since school portal does not work with traffic of sorts...
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 13, 2016
Nigerian host is something I av never patronized at all. With over 25 successful projects executed, blue host and hostgator really keeps my brand going. Makes me sleep with my two eyes... Keeping clients happy... wink
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by uvalued(m): 7:47am On Aug 13, 2016
DualCore1:
Na wa... this industry just had to be dragged deeper into the mud by those who should be upholding it. More food for the "go for foreign host" band.

Only one server crashed
All data lost, and backups lost too
9 years in operation with funding

Tell the above 3 lines to any level III server admin and he will be outraged.

Bottom line
You only need to be in the webhosting business 1 year to know the benefits of taking backups and placing them on another server (most likely in a different datacenter, if possible). If you've been in the industry for 9 years, there is no doubt you know this so it is just a matter of negligence and wanting to maximize profit and cut running costs by not acquiring storage servers for backups.

I appeal to all webhosts out there operating in Nigeria to take backups seriously. Backups should never reside on the same server you are backing up. Also, do not rely on the cPanel backup transport feature that should transport your backups to the storage server, sometimes it shows up as completed but it doesn't move anything. You may just ditch cPanel entirely and create your own RSYNC utility to sync your backups with an offsite server daily.

A good backup tool for cPanel is cPremote (it is about 5 USD per month per server). Get an offsite storage server for your backups. If you don't want to spend money on getting a storage server, pair your production servers into what I will call "backup clusters". Server A should hold backup for server B and server B should hold backup for server A. This will only be effective if both servers are not in the same datacenter.

Please get good server hardware, don't go for cheap. If you are running your own servers, there's no reason you shouldn't be on a Software RAID at the minimum. Server issues come in different variants and forms but the important thing is ensuring you eliminate any single point of failure. cPanel DNS cluster is a must if you have more than one server.

Also, stop promising these clients heaven and earth. If you cannot offer a service for free and stay sustainable, don't promise them they will get it at no added cost. Put a price on it.

When cars have accidents or fail, I don't know why people don't say all cars are bad. When one service provider fails in this industry, people attack the industry and not the provider.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by uvalued(m): 7:50am On Aug 13, 2016
hostkobo:

It is best to backup your site to a remote location.

Options include:
- backup into a dropbox account
- backup into a gmail account
- backup and download onto your own computer
- backup onto another host
etc
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by DTruSon(m): 7:54am On Aug 13, 2016
Blazing99:

Nigerian webhosts are QUACK. I will say it again you all are quack group of incompetent losers and should never be supported. To hell with whogohost,smartweb, web4africa as you call yourself. You want a good website with good uptime and no loss features please use a foreign host. Even Ghanian hosts are better than you incompetent bunch. I just lost 5 sites to their Nonesense.

Why not address the issue at hand rather than having this infantile emotional outburst.
A blanket generalisation by lumping all Nigerian hosting companies into an incompetent bunch wouldn't serve any purpose.

You're advocating for foreign hosting companies, a little Google search of where web4africa is domiciled would have disabused your mind from your primordial generalisation.

Whogohost as a company has just goofed. This is unacceptable by any standards, but quit the mudslinging. It wouldn't do anyone any good.

1 Like

Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by javijabor1(m): 7:58am On Aug 13, 2016
uvalued:
hmm i read something interesting about cloudflare on this thread... will it be useful on a school portal and if no, why since school portal does not work with traffic of sorts...

Yes its better for sites like that. Not one that requires organic traffic.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by WebSurfer(m): 8:02am On Aug 13, 2016
This is a very bad reputation you are creating for Nigerian Hosts, I use Hostsleek.com and I barely encounter any issue from them. For up to 5 years now

1 Like

Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Horlufemi(m): 8:03am On Aug 13, 2016
Blazing99:

Nigerian webhosts are QUACK. I will say it again you all are quack group of incompetent losers and should never be supported. To hell with whogohost,smartweb, web4africa as you call yourself. You want a good website with good uptime and no loss features please use a foreign host. Even Ghanian hosts are better than you incompetent bunch. I just lost 5 sites to their Nonesense.

ha. Smartweb.

use smartweb and get one heart attack free.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Youngzedd(m): 8:03am On Aug 13, 2016
3500 NGN per year and you still want them to do backup for you for free

Nawaa, this guys aren't charitable organisation.

If you need a good hosting, you have to pay for it. Check inmotionhosting, siteground and the rest for a reliable hosting srrvice.

Stop paying for peanuts and expect the best service.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by adeoba2008(m): 8:05am On Aug 13, 2016
So sorry. My former blog run on whogohost before I moved over to Namecheap .Its a little bit expensive 30$ per year. Customer service is Superb and they have no reason to send Sorry messages.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by dadavivo: 8:21am On Aug 13, 2016
javijabor1:
********This Happened to a Friend of Mine********

My friend moved over from a foreign host to Whogohost (yes, the famous & reliable Naija Host).

He didn't even spend up to 3 months there before he began to notice some irregularities with his site and adsense so he contacted me.

After checking properly i noticed Whogohost implemented cloudflare on his account and since i have had some funny experiences with cloudflare i told him to inform the host to remove cloudflare.

Whogohost told him they had deactivated it. It was showing as not active on his c-panel however i checked it myself outside c-panel and noticed it was active but they disabled it o his c-panel to mask it.

I chatted with their support personnel and informed them to take it down immediately and that i could still see the nameservers reflecting that of cloudflare.

angry *This was where the trouble began* angry

Whogohost downtime can range from 10 minutes to 4hrs and it happens mostly at night and almost every night. (maybe they feel most people are sleeping).
Some webmasters do not know but jetpack can inform you where there is a downtime on your site. BUT if cloudflare is active on your account you would not know as it makes it appear your site is online.

Everynight there is always a down time and he has several tickets on his account informing them about it.

YOU may want to ask why we deactivated Cloudflare

I told him to because Cloudflare reduces the traffic to a site, this is what i have experimented and i am very sure of what i am saying. They do have good security features but as a blogger we are more concerned about traffic.

It didnt take up to 1 week without cloudflare and my account was offlline for over 24hours.
WHOGOHOST sent a mail about working on it.

FINALLY

They sent him a mail saying they lost all his data.
I know we cant sue them because most hosting companies have a clause on their terms of service and here is that of WHOGOHOST

"6. Backups and Data Loss
Your use of this service is at your sole risk. WhoGoHost is not responsible for files and/or data residing on your account. You agree to take full responsibility for files and data transferred and to maintain all appropriate backup of files and data stored on WhoGoHost servers."

What is this sad
Don't they know they are supposed to do a back up in a different server a least once a week?
I work in an IT Firm and we do backups every night talk-less of a Webhosting company.
Are they that dumb? undecided

Find the full details of the mail below and also with a screenshot.

-------------------------------------------

Hello ******,

On the 9th of August, we reported a hardware failure on one of our servers "chicken server” which has led to a couple sites on the server being unavailable.

It pains us deeply to inform you that the failure has led to the irrevocable loss of all or some files (including backups) which will prevent your site from working. We’ve traced the cause to a technical failure which was noticed too late.

Affected domain: *********.com

We are deeply sorry and we know that there is nothing we can say or do to compensate enough for the loss of your files and information. Over the course of today, tomorrow and the next, a senior staff of Whogohost will be reaching out to you via phone to discuss/collaborate with you on possible options to get your site back online.

You have trusted us with your website, and we’ve failed you. This is the biggest tragedy and first of its kind that this company has faced in its 9 years of existence.

We have determined to invest more in backups of backups across locations to ensure that in the event of a natural disaster or unforeseen circumstances, we can still beat our chests to say you will have your site back up in no time.

We want to plead with you - do not let this shape your experience or opinion about WhoGoHost. This will never repeat itself and you can be assured of the best customer-centric services as usual.

Should you want to discuss further rather than wait for the call, you can email me, the CEO directly via ceo@whogohost.com and I will be more than happy to discuss with you.

WE ARE VERY SORRY.

--
Toba O.
CEO, Whogohost Limited

sad angry angry cry angry
bros am so scared from what I've read, because I just joined whogohost like a month ago and am a newbie. I want to ask this question here maybe you or any other person could help me. My website is not blogger or WordPress, it's a PHP script but I find out that I can't embed YouTube videos on my post, it usually show as a link instead of a video box. My developer said the error is from my hosting company, that they don't allow JavaScript, but whogohost said not from them. That maybe it's from my script. Am confused right now cos I don't know who to believe anymore. Please who is at fault. Whogohost or my developer script.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by javijabor1(m): 8:28am On Aug 13, 2016
dadavivo:
bros am so scared from what I've read, because I just joined whogohost like a month ago and am a newbie. I want to ask this question here maybe you or any other person could help me. My website is not blogger or WordPress, it's a PHP script but I find out that I can't embed YouTube videos on my post, it usually show as a link instead of a video box. My developer said the error is from my hosting company, that they don't allow JavaScript, but whogohost said not from them. That maybe it's from my script. Am confused right now cos I don't know who to believe anymore. Please who is at fault. Whogohost or my developer script.

Run the same script on your local machine using wampp. If it shows youtube then it's your host. If otherwise it's your script.
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:29am On Aug 13, 2016
D34lw4p:
I dont know about what you're saying here but to be sincere with you i've been using whogohost for the past one year and there's been no error! I use them for all my client websites. My forum(www.nct.com.ng) is hosted on it.
I was expecting you
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 13, 2016
Can you please call me........I have the best solution for you, don't want to advertise here !!!!
javijabor1:
********This Happened to a Friend of Mine********

My friend moved over from a foreign host to Whogohost (yes, the famous & reliable Naija Host).

He didn't even spend up to 3 months there before he began to notice some irregularities with his site and adsense so he contacted me.

After checking properly i noticed Whogohost implemented cloudflare on his account and since i have had some funny experiences with cloudflare i told him to inform the host to remove cloudflare.

Whogohost told him they had deactivated it. It was showing as not active on his c-panel however i checked it myself outside c-panel and noticed it was active but they disabled it o his c-panel to mask it.

I chatted with their support personnel and informed them to take it down immediately and that i could still see the nameservers reflecting that of cloudflare.

angry *This was where the trouble began* angry

Whogohost downtime can range from 10 minutes to 4hrs and it happens mostly at night and almost every night. (maybe they feel most people are sleeping).
Some webmasters do not know but jetpack can inform you where there is a downtime on your site. BUT if cloudflare is active on your account you would not know as it makes it appear your site is online.

Everynight there is always a down time and he has several tickets on his account informing them about it.

YOU may want to ask why we deactivated Cloudflare

I told him to because Cloudflare reduces the traffic to a site, this is what i have experimented and i am very sure of what i am saying. They do have good security features but as a blogger we are more concerned about traffic.

It didnt take up to 1 week without cloudflare and my account was offlline for over 24hours.
WHOGOHOST sent a mail about working on it.

FINALLY

They sent him a mail saying they lost all his data.
I know we cant sue them because most hosting companies have a clause on their terms of service and here is that of WHOGOHOST

"6. Backups and Data Loss
Your use of this service is at your sole risk. WhoGoHost is not responsible for files and/or data residing on your account. You agree to take full responsibility for files and data transferred and to maintain all appropriate backup of files and data stored on WhoGoHost servers."

What is this sad
Don't they know they are supposed to do a back up in a different server a least once a week?
I work in an IT Firm and we do backups every night talk-less of a Webhosting company.
Are they that dumb? undecided

Find the full details of the mail below and also with a screenshot.

-------------------------------------------

Hello ******,

On the 9th of August, we reported a hardware failure on one of our servers "chicken server” which has led to a couple sites on the server being unavailable.

It pains us deeply to inform you that the failure has led to the irrevocable loss of all or some files (including backups) which will prevent your site from working. We’ve traced the cause to a technical failure which was noticed too late.

Affected domain: *********.com

We are deeply sorry and we know that there is nothing we can say or do to compensate enough for the loss of your files and information. Over the course of today, tomorrow and the next, a senior staff of Whogohost will be reaching out to you via phone to discuss/collaborate with you on possible options to get your site back online.

You have trusted us with your website, and we’ve failed you. This is the biggest tragedy and first of its kind that this company has faced in its 9 years of existence.

We have determined to invest more in backups of backups across locations to ensure that in the event of a natural disaster or unforeseen circumstances, we can still beat our chests to say you will have your site back up in no time.

We want to plead with you - do not let this shape your experience or opinion about WhoGoHost. This will never repeat itself and you can be assured of the best customer-centric services as usual.

Should you want to discuss further rather than wait for the call, you can email me, the CEO directly via ceo@whogohost.com and I will be more than happy to discuss with you.

WE ARE VERY SORRY.

--
Toba O.
CEO, Whogohost Limited

sad angry angry cry angry
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by spytime(m): 8:46am On Aug 13, 2016
I am planning a project though not a blog but a PHP website to run on linux platform and host on dedicated server can i get this service in nigeria? There will be huge traffic on the site and I don't want to have data loss problem so what's ur advice pls
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 13, 2016
Please can you call me on 08087957518, will profer the best solution to you, may be you can have meetings by monday..
spytime:
I am planning a project though not a blog but a PHP website to run on linux platform and host on dedicated server can i get this service in nigeria? There will be huge traffic on the site and I don't want to have data loss problem so what's ur advice pls
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by zibi5: 9:53am On Aug 13, 2016
spytime:
Oga Check my signature and pm me
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by igwedaboss(m): 9:57am On Aug 13, 2016
Javijabor1
Which foreign hosting site do you recommend.
And
Is it possible to make profit using your website blog page? Rather than opening a separate blog site. Thanks
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by igwedaboss(m): 9:58am On Aug 13, 2016
ITbomb:
Bottom line

If you are an upcoming blogger (ie your blog is not making above N50k a month), get a domain name and stay with Blogger otherwise get a Premium account with a good host company.

All stories about Google preferring WordPress over Blogger is a big lie, all Google wants is a good content.
To make this good content available for Google bots to crawl is your full time job.

WordPress might make the work easier with plug-ins but if you can understand meta tags usage, search console and backlinks, you can outrank any WordPress blog easily
Is it possible to make profit using your website blog page? Or one has to open a separate blog site
Re: WHOGOHOST: Why I Will Never Use A Nigerian Host Again by uvalued(m): 10:07am On Aug 13, 2016
javijabor1:

Yes its better for sites like that. Not one that requires organic traffic.
thanks guess would get more info abt it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Best Web Designers In Nigeria: List Of Top 5 Web Developers In Every State / Web Designer Names His Son HTML In Honour Of His Profession - Photos / New And Old Bloggers, Enter Here Let's Network

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.