Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint (62583 Views)

The Insanely Colourful, Elaborate, Custom Coffins From Ghana (photos) / Oyinbo Men In Enugu Drinking Palm Wine And Local Dish (Photos) / Sultan Of Sokoto Sponsors Elaborate Durban To Celebrate Oba Of Benin (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:01pm On Aug 12, 2016
somegirl1:

The clue is in the word "relatively" hun.
so lets get this correct, you are saying compared to other tribes the igbo look better. is this what you are saying ? make your position known like a real woman and dont cower.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:03pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

Dominating the civil services showed that they were the most educated group in the whole country. I'm not talking about 'big dawgs'- who cares about that? I'm talking about education, which is a better measurement of the development of a region than wealth.
doesnt take education to be admitted into the civil service back then. all you needed was two working arms and eyes to see, so you can read and write. those were the only requirements

3 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2016
slysteel:
Why post a fake picture because you want to mock igbos by claiming they were naked in 1930? zik and co were already teaching awolowolo how to write English

People will believe what they want to believe. How can a people go from walking around completely naked to being the most educated group in the country in a period of 20-30 years? I posted a verified picture of the Igbos from the 1930s and they didn't want to comment on it.

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 2:09pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
doesnt take education to be admitted into the civil service back then. all you needed was two working arms and eyes to see, so you can read and write. those were the only requirements

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Chei!!! Read what you posted again and come back to me. Remember that this was during Colonial Nigeria and not modern day Nigeria where bribes can get you anywhere.

3 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Chei!!! Read what you posted again and come back to me. Remember that this was during Colonial Nigeria and not modern day Nigeria where bribes can get you anywhere.
during colonial nigeria there was no civil service as such. civil service got robust after independence. try again

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Scholes007(m): 2:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
thats very honorable. however in 1929 we would not let our women fight in wars or riot. thats the job of the oduduwa men. we are warriors bro. women dont fight our battles
did you ever read the link i gave you?

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by lieutenantHaven: 2:13pm On Aug 12, 2016
TheNewIbadan:

Every Ibo town. Oyo state has more businesses and investors than your towns.

Yes, investing on brown roofery and afonjaisis.
Awon weyrey. Omo al.e jat.ijati oniran.u

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by yomz1e(m): 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
nah..... xenophobia ke? thats another level of hatred! if thats the case, the FG would have shut down Nairaland. But its all good, honestly i dont think anyone here takes this serious, its that diversity that should make us a stronger and progressive. everyone contributing to the greater good of the collective. Unlike some people in Nigeria that don't share in that ideology.

btw: Join your local association of NCAN. Its fun and free grin grin grin

[quote author=Lilibeth914 post=48417559][/quote]

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
Scholes007:
did you ever read the link i gave you?
yeah dude. i did. about women fighting warrant officers ? i sure did
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 12, 2016
baby124:

Stop writing rubbish, it's not my fault your people were running around naked. Stop trying to deflect from your anger, even though you really have no reason to be angry cause only a small group of African's were clothed. Even Egyptian work men wore loins. It's only the Kanuri's coming from the Middle East who wore clothes because of the dust of the desert and they brought their Islam with them, and of course the Yoruba, Malians, Swahili and Ashanti wore clothes. Finish.

Eh wooooo.

Knock out punch! Yorubas the greatest civilization which was fully clothed from the days of adam. Even the Hausa/Fulani "who (did not) give them a small taste of civilization are naked unclothed savages":

Savage unclothed fulani girl in Senegal:

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/09/1b/4f091b134d4bb5b2041501e5ab3c446a.jpg
[/img]

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
during colonial nigeria there was no civil service as such. civil service got robust after independence. try again

This is not true. You agreed with me that the Igbos dominated the civil services in the 50s and 60s in your other post, meaning that you agreed that there was a civil service before Independence. Why are you contradicting yourself?

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:20pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

This is not true. You agreed with me that the Igbos dominated the civil services in the 50s and 60s in your other post, meaning that you agreed that there was a civil service before Independence.
you didnt say you were speaking about the colonial era. i thought you were speaking about post colonial. because truth be told, during colonial era the whites favored the hausa more than every tribe. now post colonial is when igbo flooded the military and civil service.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
Babalegba:
You are too funny.Those photos reek of primitivity.
cos its ancient. You must be the dullest NLer i've ever come across
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by baby124: 2:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
Nahwao:

Eh wooooo.

Knock out punch! Yorubas the greatest civilization which was fully clothed from the days of adam. Even the Hausa/Fulani "who (did not) give them a small taste of civilization are naked unclothed savages":

Savage unclothed fulani girl in Senegal:

[img]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/4f/09/1b/4f091b134d4bb5b2041501e5ab3c446a.jpg
[/img]

Fulani were unclothed. The Kanuri introduced Islam to most of Africa. The Kanuri are related to those desert African dwelling tribes close to the Middle East. Hausa Fulani did not civilize Yoruba, they only fought for territory. You keep trying to justify things that don't make sense even to you. They introduced Islam to some small parts of Yoruba land. Mostly the northern. All the pictures we are showing you are Yoruba of pagan religion. Besides the Muslims could write and have never written that they found us unclothed. For us to engage them in war shows we had weapons. So what are you saying exactly? Is all Yoruba land Muslim? No! If we were civilized by them why are our ancient women not dressing like theirs

5 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Alexbrain(m): 2:23pm On Aug 12, 2016
TheNewIbadan:

Every Ibo town. Oyo state has more businesses and investors than your towns.
For whch century? This one well me n u dey or d previous one? Guy go receive sense b4 u come here dey yan dust.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
funny how they were all darkskin back then. lol bleashin tinz
The picture is black and white. You must have color blindness

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:26pm On Aug 12, 2016
Shym3xx:
Loool.

So, these people were still running around naked in the 1930s, when my Ijebu have been selling clothes to European explorers since the 13th century loool.

The white man definitely civilised them lool.
this lie tho
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 2:27pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
you didnt say you were speaking about the colonial era. i thought you were speaking about post colonial. because truth be told, during colonial era the whites favored the hausa more than every tribe. now post colonial is when igbo flooded the military and civil service.

I didn't specify the colonial era but I clearly said that I was talking about the 1950's and 1960's, which was a period that was situated in pre and post-colonial Nigeria. Stop contradicting yourself.

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:30pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ngozi123:

I didn't specify the colonial era but I clearly said that I was talking about the 1950's and 1960's, which was a period that was situated in pre and post-colonial Nigeria. Stop contradicting yourself.
point remains that all you needed to get into civil service was two working arms and eyes that can see. so you can read and write. wasnt no high level position back then. all it was was stable income for the middle class. you talk as if civil service is CEO at microsoft or something lolzzzz. its just a bunch of pen pushers with basic reading and writing skills cheesy

4 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:32pm On Aug 12, 2016
itswell1:

These are slaves sorry i mean jews the 5% from indo-fuckin-nesia republic.
Don't let me start with you
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:34pm On Aug 12, 2016
Danfuster:
OK... So igbos claim they are light skinned people by nature but I don't see any traits of fairness in the pic so far. Seeing some of them being ridiculously light skinned today; could it be that the white men ravaged their women?! undecided

Same way west Indians exist today. They took Indians, they took black people, put them in the Caribbean and tens of decade later Rihanna happened.

Go figure: this could be why igbos claim they're not Nigerian but Biafrans grin
When you listen to too much Immortal Technique, you're bound to think from you a.ss

1 Like

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by somegirl1: 2:35pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
so lets get this correct, you are saying compared to other tribes the igbo look better. is this what you are saying ? make your position known like a real woman and dont cower.

Cower from what exactly?
I hope you don't have a good grasp of the obvious only.

3 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:38pm On Aug 12, 2016
somegirl1:

Cower from what exactly?
I hope you don't have a good grasp of the obvious only.
make your position known clearly cuz you are cowering. are you saying the igbo tribe looks better than benin and yoruba and hausa and fulani ? let it be known woman. state your position like a real woman
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2016

This cannot possibly be a Yoruba girl. She is Afonja!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by SharkTank(m): 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2016
Shym3xx:
These primitive people are Biafran. Being in the same country with is the primary reason why Yorubas are now backwards. They just took us 500 years backward.

Someone give these people their own country in savagery. Civilisation eluded them and they need 500 years to catch up.
Backward as.s descendant of tribal mark ridden women, whose tribal marks were so deep it's affecting the brains of descendants generations down the line
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Ngozi123(f): 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
point remains that all you needed to get into civil service was two working arms and eyes that can see. so you can read and write. wasnt no high level position back then. all it was was stable income for the middle class. you talk as if civil service is CEO at microsoft or something lolzzzz. its just a bunch of pen pushers with basic reading and writing skills cheesy

shocked I'll stop replying to you as you're just exposing your ignorance with each word you type. You have a terribly condescending attitude towards the past; those people were highly educated, in fact, I'm willing to bet that the civil servants in the 50s and 60s were better educated on average than those that we have today.

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by somegirl1: 2:40pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
make your position known clearly cuz you are cowering. are you saying the igbo tribe looks better than benin and yoruba and hausa and fulani ? let it be known woman. state your position like a real woman

Ditto.

3 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by TheNewIbadan: 2:42pm On Aug 12, 2016
lieutenantHaven:

Yes, investing on brown roofery and afonjaisis.
Awon weyrey. Omo al.e jat.ijati oniran.u

Osu, why do you sound so frustrated. Just show proof with your rebuttal. Create a thread if you like and I'll engage you.
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by michelz: 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2016
AlphaCentauri:
nah gurl its igbo that like to boast that they are lightskin. get it right now
Igbos don't really give a hoot about being light-skinned or not. To them,it's something that is normal - light-skin tone has been with them as far back as anyone can remember.
Even during the slavery (you can search this yourself ),Igbos were generally distinguished from other africans with their lighter skin tone. The internet is replete with information about the light skin tone of Igbos.
Infact,at the risk of making a blanket statement,about more than half of every Igbo couple will give birth to a light-skinned baby. It is that common.
As for the pix by the OP of Igbos in the 1930s:
Don't be deceived into thinking that just because a people had only a simple basic covering on,then it means they were bush undeveloped people. That's not true.
Even before the colonial white men came,Igbos had a well established societal system.
You can research about the Nri kingdom,the Igbo Ukwu artifacts that were unearthed and probably dated back to as far back as anyone can imagine. Surely,people who were capable of such feats then couldn't be called "bush/undeveloped",could they?
In fact,the colonial whites recorded that when they came to the SE,Igbos were not even intimidated by them; rather,the Igbos were looking at them amusingly - you know,how you'd look at something you consider inferior to you.
Research on these things - even about your own people.
Many parts of Africa weren't really "jungle" before the colonials came like they'd want you to believe. They only had their own unique ways of doing things.

6 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:48pm On Aug 12, 2016
michelz:

igbos don't really give a hoot about being light-skinned or not. To them,it's something that is normal - light-skin tone has been with them as far back as anyone can remember.
Even during the slavery (you can search this yourself ),Igbos were generally distinguished from other africans with their lighter skin tone. The internet is replete with information about the light skin tone of Igbos.
Infact,at the risk of making a blanket statement,about more than half of every Igbo couple will give birth to a light-skinned baby. It is that common.
As for the pix by the OP of Igbos in the 1930s:
Don't be deceived into thinking that just because a people had only a simple basic covering on,then it means they were bush undeveloped people. That's not true.
Even before the colonial white men came,Igbos had a well established societal system.
You can research about the Nri kingdom,the Igbo Ukwu artifacts that were unearthed and probably dated back to as far back as anyone can imagine. Surely,people who were capable of such feats then couldn't be called "bush/undeveloped",could they?
In fact,the colonial whites recorded that when they came to the SE,Igbos were not even intimidated by them; rather,the Igbos were looking at them amusingly - you know,how you'd look at something you consider inferior to you.
Research on these things - even about your own people.
Many parts of Africa weren't really "jungle" before the colonials came like they'd want you to believe. They only had their own unique ways of doing things.

try telling that to all the mouth breathing, knuckle-dragging prehistoric ipob yoofs we have on nairaland always boasting about being lightskin lol
Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
Whether or not dem wear cloth or not Slaves were sold for the same camera, fabrics and gunpowder

This thread is evidence why we are no longer the Giant of Africa instead of loving one another we are busy trashing what makes us unique.

Both Tribes have come far since then We Thank God

2 Likes

Re: In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint by AlphaCentauri: 2:51pm On Aug 12, 2016
somegirl1:

Ditto.
oh really ? you think a bunch of muscular women with moustache and hairy yam legs are better looking than yoruba or fulani or hausa women ? delusions of grandeur aka chest beating is worrying you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Funny Pidgin Proverbs / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Eredo, Ijebu - The World's Largest Man-made Structure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.