Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

Feyi Fawehinmi & Deji Yesufu: It's Not A Time To Gloat By Bayo Adeyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Feyi Fawehinmi & Deji Yesufu: It's Not A Time To Gloat By Bayo Adeyinka (622 Views)

Charly Boy, Jim Iyke, Aisha Yesufu At Anti-Buhari Resume Or Resign Protest (Pic) / Feyi Fawehinmi: I’m Sorry If I Convinced Anyone To Vote For This Government / Feyi Fawehinmi: How To Make Sense Of Nigeria’s Currency Swap Deal With China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Feyi Fawehinmi & Deji Yesufu: It's Not A Time To Gloat By Bayo Adeyinka by babyhrt(m): 5:34pm On Aug 12, 2016
Feyi Fawehinmi & Deji Yesufu: It's Not A Time To Gloat
Since the day I came across Feyi Fawehinmi, I've always devoured everything he writes. I still recall very clearly that Oyewale Oyewole was the one who introduced his articles to me during one of our conversations. He is very cerebral and one to be taken very seriously. He even influenced the choice of some books I have bought and read over the past one year. Our only point of departure was his support for Buhari. I just couldn't understand why he couldn't see through the smoke screen and his inability to know that no matter how bad Goodluck Jonathan was, Buhari is never an option- emphasis on the word NEVER. Now, the chicken has come home to roost even as Nigeria is being roasted. I read his article with a tinge of sadness and regret at what could have been. Feyi does not need to apologize. He held on to his conviction just like some of us held on to ours. Many friends have fought me for not supporting Buhari. I recall a very precious friendship which has been damaged almost beyond repairs because my friend alleged all sorts just because I supported Goodluck Jonathan and refused to be deceived by the 'packaging' of Buhari.
Deji Yesufu is also someone I deeply respect. He is very opinionated just like I am. I read all his articles even if I don't agree with quite a few of them. He is very brilliant and very articulate. Deji can write up a storm without caring whose ox is gored. I couldn't almost believe my eyes when a friend asked me if I'd seen Deji's update renouncing Buharism. Deji renouncing Buharism? I know the extent to which Deji went in support of Buhari. I recall the altercations both of us had during the elections. As far as I am concerned, Feyi and Deji are both courageous. It takes courage to face up to your initial errors and admit you made a mistake. That is real manhood.
Truth is, there was nothing like Buharism. Buharism is an empty concept which even the espousers cannot properly articulate. Buharism is as empty as Buhari. He may talk like a messiah but he is not one. He has always been part of the Nigerian problem. A problem can therefore not be the solution. And those who think Buhari is fighting corruption should look a little closer. Why is Buratai still the Chief of Army Staff in spite of the mountain of evidence against him? What happened to the overwhelming evidence on the illegal recruitments in CBN and FIRS? What happened to the asset declaration promise of the President or he thinks we have forgotten? Why is Saraki a villain while Dogara struts around like a peacock? What is the business of EFCC arresting a blogger for cyberstalking? Is that a financial crime?
I would have loved to say 'we told you so' but sincerely, this is not the time to gloat. Buhari is a real disaster that unravelled faster than most of us thought he would. The Buhari myth was just that- a myth. That a whole bunch of educated people were deceived into supporting the contraption that is Buhari is even tragic enough. Buhari has thrown the economy to the dogs by his ill-thought out directives: you want foreign direct investments in Nigeria and you ban money transfer operators who are responsible for about 50% of the inflows that come into Nigeria! Western Union is responsible for less than 20%! He reversed his initial ban on domiciliary deposits when he saw the economy was hurt. Does he have advisers? He can subsidize personal pilgrimage with scarce forex but people who need the same forex to pay for education or for their manufacturing plants can't get! And polio that was once eradicated has now returned to Nigeria! Under him, elections have been inconclusive. Inflation is now double digits and Nigeria has lost bragging rights to the biggest economy in Africa. You claim you are diversifying but you're still spending hundreds of millions of dollars to look for oil in the Chad Basin- when the whole world is moving from oil. Just watch the 'Mr Chido' video and understand the feelings of the 'common' man.
Unfortunately, we have almost three years to contend with this government. And those who have been deceiving themselves into thinking that they will vote out Buhari in 2019 like they voted out Goodluck Jonathan should have a re-think. Buhari is not Jonathan. Jonathan is a gentleman- Buhari is not. In spite of his weaknesses and there are quite a few, Jonathan understood the nuances and norms of democracy- Buhari doesn't care. Jonathan listens to others- maybe a little too much but Buhari listens to only himself and no other. Jonathan will be the last President that will ever lose an election in Nigeria. Truth is-Jonathan warts and all was too decent and maybe naive for the entity called Nigeria.
What shall we then do? We must insist on restructuring this nation. We must demand for true federalism. We have to put pressure on the lawmakers to revisit the 2014 National Conference reports even if the President claims he has archived it. We must insist on a loose centre because the Presidency is too powerful. We all must continue to speak out because the opposition is dead. Olisa Metuh was very vocal until he entered the gulag. Senator Ben Bruce has almost virtually disappeared from tweeter land after his economic 'pot of oil' was visited overnight. Only Femi Fani-Kayode has refused to be cowed into submission. We must join voices like his to demand that the proper thing is always done.

By Bayo Adeyinka
Re: Feyi Fawehinmi & Deji Yesufu: It's Not A Time To Gloat By Bayo Adeyinka by MRSALT: 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2016
Ok

(1) (Reply)

/ Sheriff Rejects Judgment Sacking Him As PDP Chairman / We Are Aware Of Your Pains - Buhari Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.