Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,004 members, 7,799,446 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes (1741 Views)

Amnesty International Condemns Edo Govt For Executing 3 Death Row Prisoners / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Blames Goodluck Jonathan For Current Economic Crisis / I’ll Continue To Blame My Predecessors For Nigeria’s Woes – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by shamecurls(m): 11:12pm On Aug 12, 2016
[b]

Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Minister of Finance and Co-ordinating Minister for the Nigerian Economy under immediate past president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, has blamed the administration under which she served as responsible for the current economic challenges being suffered by the country.

She said the Jonathan’s administration lacked the political will to effectively manage the country’s resources and that this was responsible for the economic downturn of the country now governed by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Speaking on the topic: “Inequality, Growth and Resilience” at George Washington University on Thursday, Iweala compared her time with former President Olusegun Obasanjo and Jonathan and concluded that while there was a political will to save for the raining day under Obasanjo, the will was lacking under Jonathan.

During Obasanjo’s era, she said the government was able to save $22 billion and that this saved the country in 2008 during the global economic meltdown.

Okonjo-Iweala, while appealing to the World Bank and IMF to encourage a saving culture among countries of the world, added: “we tried it in Nigeria, we put in an oil price based fiscal rule in 2004 and it worked very well.

“We saved $22 billion because the political will to do it was there. And when the 2008 /2009 crisis came, we were able to draw on those savings precisely to issue about a 5 percent of GDP fiscal stimulus to the economy and we never had to come to the bank or the fund.

“This time around and this is the key now, you need not only need to have the instrument but you also need the political will.

“In my second time as a finance minister, from 2011 to 2015, we had the instrument, we had the means, we had done it before, but zero political will.

“So we were not able to save when we should have. That is why you find that Nigeria is now in the situation it is in. Along with so many other countries.”

Continuing, she urged African countries to build resilience and encourage manufacturing to boost their economy.

“I do not believe that we can be resilient, except if we can encourage manufacturing even on the goods we consume, services, entertainment industry, agriculture.

“I think these are the kinds of questions that policy makers struggle with on a daily basis and that is what we are going to answer to get resilience.

“If we don’t get these mechanisms, we politicise them, find ways to transform the base of the economy and create jobs including in manufacturing, I believe we are going to go into this looming deceleration that is being talked about,” she added.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/04/15/okonjo-iweala-blames-jonthans-govt-for-nigerias-woes/[/b]
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by HungerBAD: 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2016
Shamecurls.

You are my man, but this News is from April.

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by CONFAMA: 11:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
BIAF-RATS will soon call madam iweala Yoloba

grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by Akinyemi787(m): 11:46pm On Aug 12, 2016
will this stop wailers from wailing No it's in their blood just like yeebos are addicted to ****...I no talk anything oooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by mrvitalis(m): 12:30am On Aug 13, 2016
only fools don't know this

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by shamecurls(m): 12:39am On Aug 13, 2016
HungerBAD:
Shamecurls.

You are my man, but this News is from April.

Thanks
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by justice2016: 12:46am On Aug 13, 2016
Lies again this yoruba media never stop lies
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by ogmask: 1:31am On Aug 13, 2016
justice2016:
Lies again this yoruba media never stop lies

See the news here bro. You for do small research befor u jump to this your conclusion na.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/nigeria-had-no-political-will-to-save-under-jonathan-okonjo-iweala/
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by olaolaking: 3:21am On Aug 13, 2016
Honestly, I have always believed this woman. Though she failed under Gej but not as a result of her incompetence. But Gej was just too mumu. He didn't want to step on toes. But if I was anty NGO. I would have resigned. Now the past administration almost stain her
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by Bitterleafsoup: 3:41am On Aug 13, 2016
CONFAMA:
BIAF-RATS will soon call madam iweala Yoloba

grin
SH must I remind you what APC Governors wanted from the savings account?

How we were pressured to squander $18bn excess crude saving — Jonathan
June 7, 2016Bassey Udo
FILE PHOTO: Former President Goodluck Jonathan speaking at the Bloomberg Studio in London
FILE PHOTO: Former President Goodluck Jonathan speaking at the Bloomberg Studio in London
RELATED NEWS
Governors asked Jonathan to share Nigeria’s foreign reserves -- Akpabio
January 9, 2015
Okonjo-Iweala used $1bn govt. money for Jonathan’s re-election — Oshiomhole
July 13, 2015
FAAC disowns Okonjo-Iweala; denies approving withdrawal of $2bn Excess Crude funds
July 7, 2015
How 3 Nigerian Presidents wasted N247 billion oil savings, gave illegal loans to NSA, Sao Tome
February 22, 2016
Update: Sanusi defends writing Jonathan, says N1.9 trillion now unaccounted for
December 19, 2013
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has spoken out about how the excess crude oil revenue account, which stood at over $20 billion at the inception of his administration, was depleted to about $2 billion when he left office on May 29, 2015.
Answering questions on an interview programme with Bloomberg TV, Mr. Jonathan blamed the state governors for regularly pressurizing the federal government to draw from the reserve fund to augment revenue allocations from the federation account.
“At any time the earnings (from oil) drop, the governors would insist that there is no place in our laws that actually say that the federal government should keep the reserve,” Mr. Jonathan said. “They always insisted that a part of it (excess crude revenue account) should be brought.”
He said there had always been misconception about the excess crude account, pointing out that while a number of people felt it was a reserve fund for the rainy day, others said it was fund that could be drawn from in times of economic difficulty.
“Yes, it is also part of our own reserves. But, when I was there, I tried to make a special fund called a sovereign wealth fund, so that it would not be easy for one to take from there,” the former president said.
Asked to react to claims by the current administration that it inherited empty treasury at inception of its tenure, Mr. Jonathan said that could not be true, arguing that there was no way the administration would have inherited empty treasury and still be able to give bailout to states the way it did.
On the diversification of the economy away from oil, the former president said his administration did “very well”, particularly in encouraging manufacturing and industrialization as well as agricultural development, which he said got to its peak within the five years he was in power.
He spoke of the agriculture transformation agenda of his administration, which he described as not only the best since the history of the country, but also one that received global acclaim.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by orisa37: 3:48am On Aug 13, 2016
Good. The recklessness of our past should now guide the Present.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by Bitterleafsoup: 5:40am On Aug 13, 2016
Nigeria’s respected finance minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, speaks positively about Mr Adesina’s reforms to date – especially in cleaning up the corrupt fertiliser industry. Now, rather than directly participating in the delivery system for fertiliser, the government leaves that to the private sector and only provides the subsidy. This change has tackled 40 years of corruption, and ended it – Mr Adesina claims – in 90 days.

Ms Okonjo-Iweala says it has been easier to work with Mr Adesina than previous ministers. “It is not only about doling out subsidies which do not reach farmers,” she says. “That was frustrating for me the first time [I was finance minister]. Now he came and cleaned up the fertiliser issues.”

Nigeria is now seeking to add 20m metric tonnes to the domestic food supply by 2015 and to create 3.5 million jobs through agriculture. This requires more sophisticated thinking about the value addition of individual crops – cassava being but one example. “We are the largest producer of cassava in the world, at 40m metric tonnes, but I want us to become the largest processor of cassava as well,” Mr Adesina claims. “We can focus on using cassava for starch, dry cassava chips for export to China, cassava flour to replace some of the wheat flour that we are importing. So we are restructuring the space for the private sector to add value to every single thing.”

Financial linkages

Finance is the critical catalyst to growth, and in Nigeria it has proven hard to link the two. “You find that only 2 percent of all bank lending in Nigeria goes into agriculture – a sector that is 40 percent of GDP and 70 percent of employment. The reason was because banks could not find the money trail in the agriculture sector,” Mr Adesina says.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by OLADD: 6:02am On Aug 13, 2016
Akinyemi787:
will this stop wailers from wailing No it's in their blood just like yeebos are addicted to ****...I no talk anything oooo

You and the OP are just incurably stup1d. Okonjo Iwealla did not and will never indict a govt she served meritoriously. Why can't you bring out a rebuttal from NOI where she explained the rationale for her statement? For the sake of blockheads like you, she blamed lack of political will on the part of the former governors (Ameachi, Fashola and co) who used every cruel means to stop the ECA. Get your facts right and stop displaying mischief and insanity. Bringing up a dead news to safe the face of Buhari's failed govt will not help his course. OK?

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by 99100(m): 6:22am On Aug 13, 2016
OLADD:

You and the OP are just incurably stup1d. Okonjo Iwealla did not and will never indict a govt she served meritoriously. Why can't you bring out a rebuttal from NOI where she explained the rationale for her statement? For the sake of blockheads like you, she blamed lack of political will on the part of the former governors (Ameachi, Fashola and co) who used every cruel means to stop the ECA. Get your facts right and stop displaying mischief and insanity. Bringing up a dead news to safe the face of Buhari's failed govt will not help his course. OK?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by President99: 6:41am On Aug 13, 2016
[quote author=99100 post=48436966][/quote]what happened the FG share? I think prof Soludo has equally asked this same question in an article entitle:30Trillion naira missing under ur watch.
so, they forced u to shared it, then what to FG's share. Maybe she dished it out to Dasuki n co
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by President99: 6:46am On Aug 13, 2016
GEJ is the root caused of all these problems.If he had saved like OBJ saved, Nig would have been better. but the Otuoke clown was busy dishing out our hard earned FOREX to Dasuki, Fayose n the likes. GEJ met over $68B+crude oil sold over $100 per barrel for most part of his tenure yet he couldnot save. Anyway, the gele woman has recently said all, that their inability to save for rainy day caused the present economic woes. GEJ messed Nigeria's economy!! If not for Buhari's prudency and anti corruption crusade,Nigerian economy could have gone awry than even Venuzuela's
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by sathel(m): 6:50am On Aug 13, 2016
Diz lady dy craze undecided
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by HtwoOw: 6:59am On Aug 13, 2016
Some mumus
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by Prosperkaro(m): 9:15am On Aug 13, 2016
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/04/16/i-did-not-indict-jonathan-says-okonjo-iweala/
But reacting to the reports yesterday via a press statement captioned “Low Savings: Okonjo-Iweala Did Not Indict the Jonathan Administration”, her Media Adviser, Paul Nwabuikwu said some recent media reports have distorted the comments
“Contrary to the slant given by these loud headlines, Okonjo-Iweala did not indict the Jonathan administration in which she served. Rather, she was referring to what many Nigerians already know; the strong opposition by some governors to the Jonathan government’s efforts to save in the Excess Crude Account and the Sovereign Wealth Fund sabotaged this important national priority.
“The governors’ criticism of Okonjo-Iweala’s many calls for the country to save for the rainy days are still fresh in the minds of Nigerians. This opposition culminated in the governors taking the Jonathan government to the Supreme Court in furtherance of their position that the Federal government had no right to “compel” them to save,” Nwabuikwu said.
The statement added that several knowledgeable persons including a former governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi confirmed these facts.
“So the issue of Okonjo-Iweala indicting the Jonathan administration over this very public issue simply does not arise. We urge the media to always consult for clarification whenever the need arises,” Nwabuikwu admonished.
To lend credence to the position that the ex-minister’s comment was not an indictment on Jonathan, she had in an interview with an international magazine, Le Monde, last weekend said: “When I was finance minister, the first time, the volatility of oil prices, and therefore state resources, cost at least three points of growth in the country.
“We then established a stabilisation mechanism and opened an account for the oil surplus, which posted up to $22 billion. In 2008, when prices fell from $148 to $38 a barrel, no one had heard of Nigeria because the country was able to tap into this fund. And that I am very proud of.
“When I returned to the department in 2011, there remained only $4 billion on this account while the price of oil was very high! I tried again to put money aside. The president agreed, but the governors did not accept.
“I suffered a lot of attacks from them and now that the country would really need this account, these same people accuse me of not having saved. If Nigeria had been more careful, we would not be here today. It hurts me. We have the mechanism, we had the experience, but we were prevented to act.”​
Re: Okonjo-iweala Blames Jonthan’s Govt For Nigeria’s Woes by Prosperkaro(m): 9:16am On Aug 13, 2016
Many are mad but few are roaming

(1) (Reply)

18 Hours Uninterrupted Electricity Supply / Nigerians Deserve A Better Country, Economy—tinubu / Nnamdi Kanu Fights Bail Conditions: I Want To Attend Rallies, Grant Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.