Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary (7255 Views)

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Sweetcollins: 3:57am On Aug 13, 2016
Engli-Igbo makeri nnukwu sense (IGbotic mixture)
Just legodi:
1-->SENDiaram airtime
2-->HELPutum juo ya
3-->SITigodi down
4-->STANDigodi up
5-->SHIFTuoro m
6-->Ha eCLOSEzula the shop
7-->I na eDISTURB m biko or eDISTURBzilam biko
8-->CHECKie m in next five minutes
9-->I REACHie gi agwam
10-->Achorom I ENTERgodi bike
11-->Ihe I na eSPEAKi sef
12-->akam na eTHINKi ya
13-->A dim BUSY kita, a gam aCALLugi back
14-->after anyi eDISCUSSuo ya
15-->eGIVEkwana up
16-->TAKEie time gi
17-->chere kam PARKia motor m
18-->achorom iga WATCHia match
19-->SETTLuom biko
20-->STARTia the gen
ADDia your own
Lolz

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Lanretoye(m): 4:02am On Aug 13, 2016
even as a yourba boy i try to say those words in igbo dialect...infact odikwa very very funny.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by hakunajay(m): 4:12am On Aug 13, 2016
It's called engligbo or Ingili-igbo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Mrbigman1(m): 5:51am On Aug 13, 2016
No 11 alone got me lmao.

Kam je MARKia ya.

Adirom aUNDERSTANDigodi gi

Bia, SHIFTigodirim

But funny enough, some word like busy can't be translated.

I Stand to be corrected sha.
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by falcon01: 6:01am On Aug 13, 2016
every language does that it's called. ingausa in Hausa.
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Sabadon(m): 6:21am On Aug 13, 2016
engiligbo,I so love naija despite d flaw.....from badosneh kind of slang in d west to d phyno slang in d west,abi na d waffi slangs in d south,den d aboki English where he wud b referring to himself as you "eg I say I go kill me?"

1 Like

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by 13regular(f): 6:55am On Aug 13, 2016
"I'm busy"

E jim oru n'aka

Mrbigman1:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Frank3n2(m): 6:58am On Aug 13, 2016
issokay..
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Mrbigman1(m): 6:59am On Aug 13, 2016
13regular:

"I'm busy"

E jim oru n'aka

Nice one adaigbo

1 Like

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Daniel058(m): 7:43am On Aug 13, 2016
ePHOTOSHOPkwana Oshomole ozo grin

4 Likes

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by lyriclekidd(m): 8:07am On Aug 13, 2016
aFUCK ngi wife nne..ahahah
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by kulbethrand(m): 8:25am On Aug 13, 2016
13regular:

"I'm busy"

E jim oru n'aka

Efe adighi.
Enweghi m ohere

5 Likes

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Tallesty1(m): 9:10am On Aug 13, 2016
Ịkparie ndị igbo here e teachiem gị lesson.
That's Engligbo not english.
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by DIFY20(f): 9:18am On Aug 13, 2016
Mrbigman1:
No 11 alone got me lmao.

Kam je MARKia ya.

Bia, SHIFTigodirim

busy is translated. like ejim ihe na aka kita
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by RichieDaVinci01(m): 9:26am On Aug 13, 2016
Hehehehehehe
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by dhardline(m): 9:46am On Aug 13, 2016
grin grin grin
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by successnd(m): 9:58am On Aug 13, 2016
odikwa very risky
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 13, 2016
13regular:

"I'm Holding work on my hand"
E jim oru n'aka

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by martinz1: 12:11pm On Aug 13, 2016
grin
Im igbo but i didnt notice that before until now
Even some of them i dont know the igbo words for it
Eg SENdiaram recharge card, thats how i say my own grin

1 Like

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Dannidom(m): 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2016
MADAM tinyerem RICE AND BEANS THERE

1 Like

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by 13regular(f): 1:25pm On Aug 13, 2016
Transliteration!

victorels post=48444996"I'm Holding work on my hand":
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by mjd2020(m): 1:43pm On Aug 13, 2016
aTOUCHikwana m ozo
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by jericco1(m): 1:47pm On Aug 13, 2016
a lovely combo
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by moonnstar(f): 2:10pm On Aug 13, 2016
E speak le kwe
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Maxcollins042(m): 2:25pm On Aug 13, 2016
Chai!.... O nwere ndi nuo ebea na-amaghi ede Igbo. Ndi ocha o kwa unu afugo ihe unu na-acause?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Kenzico(m): 3:13pm On Aug 13, 2016
Maxcollins042:
Chai!.... O nwere ndi nuo ebea na-amaghi ede Igbo. Ndi ocha o kwa unu afugo ihe unu na-acause?

Ndi ocha chere na ha nwere sense!!! Ndi igbo jiri Asusu bekee were Gwokota ya n'igbo.

O na-adi kwa uto na nti ma anyi na asukota ENGIRigbo etu a!!!! grin grin

1 Like

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by LadyH(f): 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2016
martinz1:
grin
Im igbo but i didnt notice that before until now
Even some of them i dont know the igbo words for it
Eg SENdiaram recharge card, thats how i say my own grin
I would say "ziteyelim recharge card tho".
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by onnenka: 4:01pm On Aug 13, 2016
Mrbigman1:
No 11 alone got me lmao.

Kam je MARKia ya.

Bia, SHIFTigodirim

All of them have meanings in Igbo. One of the most abused is "need" which is simply "tosiri" in Igbo, but instead of them to say "e tosiri", they will say "e neediri". Too bad.

Lalasticlala this is an interesting thread.

2 Likes

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by onnenka: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2016
Sweetcollins:

Engli-Igbo makeri nnukwu sense (IGbotic mixture)
Just legodi:
1-->SENDiaram airtime
2-->HELPutum juo ya
3-->SITigodi down
4-->STANDigodi up
5-->SHIFTuoro m
6-->Ha eCLOSEzula the shop
7-->I na eDISTURB m biko or eDISTURBzilam biko
8-->CHECKie m in next five minutes
9-->I REACHie gi agwam
10-->Achorom I ENTERgodi bike
11-->Ihe I na eSPEAKi sef
12-->akam na eTHINKi ya
13-->A dim BUSY kita, a gam aCALLugi back
14-->after anyi eDISCUSSuo ya
15-->eGIVEkwana up
16-->TAKEie time gi
17-->chere kam PARKia motor m
18-->achorom iga WATCHia match
19-->SETTLuom biko
20-->STARTia the gen
ADDia your own
Lolz
You missed the most common of all.
E neediri e ........fill in the blank space.

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by kenigwe18: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2016
Lol :DLol
Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Daniel058(m): 4:10pm On Aug 13, 2016

2 Likes

Re: English Words The Igbos Speak That Cannot Be Found In The Dictionary by Maxcollins042(m): 4:14pm On Aug 13, 2016
Kenzico:

Ndi ocha chere na ha nwere sense!!! Ndi igbo jiri Asusu bekee were Gwokota ya n'igbo.

O na-adi kwa uto na nti ma anyi na asukota ENGIRigbo etu a!!!! grin grin

Nwanne Uche gi di ya. Ndi ocha amaghi na anaghi ata isi anyi ata.Anyi bu innovation na onwe ya grin cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Info On Unimaid Admission List / Ogun State College Of Health Technology And Their Fees.what Do You Think / Aaua Admission List For 2010/2011 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.