Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,264 members, 7,780,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:09 PM

Mystery: Pregnant Woman Dies After Falling Inside Pits Twice In One Week - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mystery: Pregnant Woman Dies After Falling Inside Pits Twice In One Week (480 Views)

Woman Dies After Taking Permission From Office To Go The Market. Graphic Photos / World’s Oldest Woman Dies In Jamaica / Baby Dies After Falling Into A Well While Playing (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mystery: Pregnant Woman Dies After Falling Inside Pits Twice In One Week by igetemi(m): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2016
The look on his face said it all, and it was a look with many emotions rolled up in one.

Each of his words was laced with a deep sense of grief, despair, and confusion; he had lost his woman and his first son in one day.

Buchi Eze, 30, stood awkwardly on the edge of the pit, where his woman, Blessing, had fallen to her death. She was 23 years old and was eight months pregnant.

Perhaps, Eze’s confusion overrode other emotions as he told his story because only a day before, Blessing had just returned home from a hospital, where she was on admission for four days after falling inside a pit beside the one in which she had taken her last fall.

“I am confused; I don’t understand how my woman fell inside the pits twice in one week,” he said with a look that seemed to be seeking for answers in the air.

“Her death was painful and I don’t think it was natural. The pits have been there for a long time and she met them here when she moved in with me in January, so how did she fall inside the pits twice in six days? She was not mentally unstable and did not show any suicidal tendencies.

“All the children in the compound pass there always and none of them has fallen inside before, so I am still confused. After she fell inside one of the pits the first time, I dismissed it as a mistake, but after the second one, I concluded that it was not natural.”

The couple shared a rented room in an uncompleted building on Akinola Street in Lusada community, Ado-Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun State, until the incident.

Both pits were meant to serve as septic tank and soak away for the adjoining house but because there was no fence separating the buildings, Eze and other occupants of the house only had to walk about two metres from their backyard door to reach the edge of the pits.

Both pits had been overgrown by weeds after being abandoned since 2012.

Eze had not slept in the house since the incident occurred because he was afraid of what memories of Blessing and all they shared would come with. He feared the worst; he was frightened that they would bring nightmares and more tears.

Since Blessing’s death, Eze has been having goose pimples every now and then, so he concluded that her spirit still hovered nearby.

Eze’s curiosity was also piqued by Blessing’s last words to him after he had jumped in the pit to save her.

“I was on my way home when I heard that my woman was in pit the second time,” he said.

“When I got there, I saw my woman lying face down in the pit again. She was sleeping gently when I left home. She lay on the ground face down. People were holding me but I jumped inside the pit.

“As I raised her head up, she seemed to regain consciousness. I said ‘why again? Do you want to kill me? She said she did not know how she got there, and that she just realised where she was as we were talking.”

Legal angle

Lagos State Commissioner for Environment, Dr. Samuel Adejare, could not be reached on his mobile telephone as it was switched off, but a lawyer, Mr. Wahab Shittu, said the person who constructed the septic tank and soak away could be criminally liable if found to have been negligent by leaving them open.

Shittu said he ought to have exercised “due care to ensure that his soak away and septic tank do not constitute danger to persons and property around”.

He said, “The relevant questions are: does he hold a duty of care? Has he breached that duty? The answer will be yes because he ought to have put in place some precautionary measures. Arising from that breach, has some damage been caused to particularly person(s)?

“But also since it happened twice, the issue of contributory negligence could arise on the part of the woman having been aware that the place posed some sort danger. Having fallen into the pit previously, she should have taken steps to mitigate the damage. But everything will depend on the evidence of proof. But these are evidential issues that an impartial arbiter will consider.”

(1) (Reply)

Water Hyacinth (eichhornia Crassipes) Traps 6 Communities In Anambra / Video: Nigerian Inspiration Song Where Obama Shed Tears Is Trending On Twitter / Why Can't We Do This In Nigeria (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.