Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? (898 Views)

For Exterior Flooring (polished And Unpolished) 07064702132 / Waterproof Screeding Putty For Exterior And Interior Walls / Italian Traditional Travetino For Exterior Walls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by XueRengui: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2016
I feel so miserable right now.
I bought a 20 litres and 4 litres bucket of paint to repaint a room in my apartment. I decided to do the painting myself, no thanks to 'Buhari economy'.
I exhausted the 20 litres and went strait for the 4 litres. While using, there was a sort of irritating sensation to the nose and eyes but I still managed to exhaust it.
Job done. Taking a closer look at the 4 litres container, I realized it was for exterior use (sun coat was written on it). Also, there has been this choking smell in my room due to the paint.
Is it safe to sleep in?

I really don't know what to do next.
Don't mind any typos pls. sad
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 13, 2016
smileyBuy another paint meant for interior and repaint the room na

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by XueRengui: 5:12pm On Aug 13, 2016
Tiny23:

smileyBuy another paint meant for interior and repaint the room na

will that remove the choking smell cry
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by XueRengui: 5:16pm On Aug 13, 2016
Lalasticlala I take God beg You. Let this grace the homepage so I get more advice.

Cc
klenz77 Appointedtime14 kolnel fullblast EJYKY Buildertobadt topsy23 slydog danowena bugmenot apatuku euphoria Matete4Life mufutau55 chocolateme Zeebaby123 mach7 Cuteboi98 eyeview dessy8 Abujapropertyag Internetboy
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Aug 13, 2016
XueRengui:
Lalasticlala I take God beg You. Let this grace the homepage so I get more advice.

How they wan advise you pass again ? Nothing you can do other than to re-paint it again with interior paint.
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by ITbomb(m): 5:32pm On Aug 13, 2016
I'm interested in the solution
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 13, 2016
XueRengui:
will that remove the choking smell cry

ventilate the room properly, after painting
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by danowena: 7:58pm On Aug 13, 2016
@ gbadexy , please assist the OP.
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by gbadexy(m): 8:53pm On Aug 13, 2016
It's not safe to sleep in the room. Open the windows and air out the room.
The problem is not really about using exterior paint for inside. You could use vise versa.
Exterior paints are mostly made to be more durable due to exposure to the elements.
The paint you used contains a very high level or volatile organic content. (Voc).
Companies are going low to non Voc.
Some of those Voc in paint are carcinogenic. There is a safe limit of exposure to such chemicals like formalin and it's usually very low.
For you to feel uncomfortable and irritated means it has very high Voc.
Using it outdoor may not cause discomfort due to adequate ventilation, it doesn't mean you are not exposed to it.
The choking smell should be down in a couple of days with airing out.
Go somewhere with fresh air and avoid sleeping there.
We don't have standard here, but there is global awareness on using paints with very low Voc or doing away with them totally for human safety and to protect the atmosphere from green house gases.
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by XueRengui: 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2016
gbadexy:
It's not safe to sleep in the room. Open the windows and air out the room.
The problem is not really about using exterior paint for inside. You could use vise versa.
Exterior paints are mostly made to be more durable due to exposure to the elements.
The paint you used contains a very high level or volatile organic content. (Voc).
Companies are going low to non Voc.
Some of those Voc in paint are carcinogenic. There is a safe limit of exposure to such chemicals like formalin and it's usually very low.
For you to feel uncomfortable and irritated means it has very high Voc.
Using it outdoor may not cause discomfort due to adequate ventilation, it doesn't mean you are not exposed to it.
The choking smell should be down in a couple of days with airing out.
Go somewhere with fresh air and avoid sleeping there.
We don't have standard here, but there is global awareness on using paints with very low Voc or doing away with them totally for human safety and to protect the atmosphere from green house gases.
Much appreciation sir.
Pls what should be done to make the room habitable again? Will repainting with the right paint solve all these?
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by gbadexy(m): 9:51pm On Aug 13, 2016
XueRengui:

Much appreciation sir.
Pls what should be done to make the room habitable again? Will repainting with the right paint solve all these?
The odor will go away and leave the paint coat behind.
The paint coat left behind would be similar in composition to any other paint you buy.
The difference would be the ratio and quantity of materials and Voc.
Just let e r9omroom air out.
Painting over it would only temporarily mask the odor. The chemicals will continue to be emitted within the room until it's exhausted.
so you would be getting the full dose in bits over a period of time.
Best to ventilate the room for a minimum of 24hrs before sleeping inside.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by XueRengui: 9:58pm On Aug 13, 2016
gbadexy:

The odor will go away and leave the paint coat behind.
The paint coat left behind would be similar in composition to any other paint you buy.
The difference would be the ratio and quantity of materials and Voc.
Just let e r9omroom air out.
Painting over it would only temporarily mask the odor. The chemicals will continue to be emitted within the room until it's exhausted.
so you would be getting the full dose in bits over a period of time.
Best to ventilate the room for a minimum of 24hrs before sleeping inside.
Thank you sir.
Re: Help! I Used A Paint Meant For Exterior Inside My Room. What Next? by Nobody: 12:23am On Aug 22, 2016
I suggest you Repaint.

(1) (Reply)

Newly Built 5 Bedroom Duplex @ Osapa Lekki / See House Nice Three Bedroom Flat For Sale / Are You An Estate Surveyor Or Property Consultant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.