Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! (26369 Views)

4 Steps To Getting An Amazing Job As A Graduate With 3rd Class Or Pass Grade / Man Seeking Job As A Driver Crashes The Company's Car During His Job Interview / God Gave Me A Nice Job As My Xmas Present -PHOTO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by realunclej(m): 12:52am On Aug 14, 2016
In all my life, when it comes to source of income, the only thing I have not done is work for anyone in a 9 to 5 job. I made that decision long before I went for higher institution. I could remember my dad telling us that he is sending us to school to acquire academic knowledge but that if we want to succeed financially in life, we should be thinking of starting our own business. Those were my guiding words all my year in school. So, while in school, I made sure I had a profitable business. In fact, it was the proceeding I used to see myself through and even start a better business after graduation. Today, I have a couple of businesses and I still have bigger dreams. I can't thank my dad enough. Maybe today, I would have been roaming the street looking for job.

If you are a graduate and you are looking for job/employment, honestly, there are at least 10 reasons why YOU will not get a job. So, I will advise you should start building your capacity to start your own business. Below are 10 reasons why you will not get a job.

1. You Lack The Required Skill. Employers continue to complain about a dearth of skills among graduates. Employers are obviously tired of seeing same set of individuals with same set of qualifications springing up for interviews daily whereas they are in need of someone that will stand out. So ask yourself, what employable skill do I have?

2. You Lack Personal Capability To Deliver: I think many graduates believe in their certificate and not in their individual capability which would make or mar their pursuits of employment. Many lack self-development and I belief you belong to that category. What have you done since you graduate to develop your personal capability?

3. You Are A Product of a Bad Educational System: Poor funding and management of our Educational system in addition to strike has made our institution products a laughing stock. In fact, the curriculum of some studies in the institutions are not in demand. Failure of school curriculum to place emphasis on practical concepts of entreprenuership and too much emphasis on theoretical education than entreprenuership exposure is a major problem.

4. You Can't Meet Employers’ Unrealistic Demands: Employers stating job experiences as much as 3 years for fresh graduates. Age restriction, height, gender, language and many more, under these tense conditions, hardly will you see a graduate that will scale through and qualify for job application requirement except those who want to cross-carpet..

5. Lack of Digital Skills: In this digital age, if you lack the digital skills and creativity to thrive in relation to your profession, you will surely be chasing a ghost if you are looking for a well paying job.

6. You Are One of the Educated Illiterates: Every employer wants beyond just a certificate. Every employer is out to employ someone with reasoning and intellectual might, not someone who cannot play with a full deck. Someone who knows how to and wants to learn more than what they studied in school and on the job. Someone who can readily bring ideas to the table on how the company can forge forward. Not someone with low reasoning capability who won’t even be able to answer extremely trivial questions. But guess what, that is what many of our graduates are.

7. You Want The Pay But Not The Work: Many Nigerian graduates think of getting employed today and get a car or probably buy a mansion in the next month, based on their salary. You and I know that such only happen in dreams. Success is built over time and with hard work, perseverance, dedication and being focused over the years. Are you willing to make the sacrifice?

8. Too Much Ego With Empty Pocket: I have had the privilege to present some business opportunities to some graduates and all they can say is they can only do administrative work where they sit in an office to be answering yes sir or yes ma. It took someone who is not a graduate to embrace the same opportunity. Today these uneducated persons are 50 times better than the graduate in terms of personal capability, income, value and the caliber of people in their connection.

9. Companies Are Downsizing: I remember visiting a couple of industrial estates in Lagos recently. You will see busy security men at the gate, but when you approach them that you want to go in, they will tell you the company has folded or the workers are on strike. The story is the same across the state and I belief same thing is happening in other part of the country.

10. There Is No Job Out There: Investors are not bringing in money which means no new job opportunity is being created. There is economy recession in the country. Even the companies that are retrenching, what do you think will happen when they become financially buoyant again. I can bet they will simply recall their sacked workers. The reason is simple, it cost more to hire a new staff than to recall an old staff. So, where will you be then?

The Way Forward
The only way forward I see is for you to start something on your own. Do not despise small beginning. If you are going to start a business though, I will advise you focus on evergreen product or services. Those that are always in demand such as Agriculture, Health, Real Estate, ICT, Environmental services, Retail, Travel, Real Estate and maybe some few more. If you embark on this journey to discover your true potential, I pray for your SUCCESS but if you go down the popular path of seeking for job, I wish you lUcK.

95 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 14, 2016
cheesy
you said the truth bro.
more ink to your pen and more knowledge to your writings.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by realunclej(m): 12:59am On Aug 14, 2016
olihilistic:
cheesy
you said the truth bro.
more ink to your pen and more knowledge to your writings.
Thanks
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by jericco1(m): 3:56am On Aug 14, 2016
look how you made it sound so simple.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by veta1(m): 4:56am On Aug 14, 2016
Confirm!!!
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by ndaman25: 5:15am On Aug 14, 2016
God bless for the post

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by realunclej(m): 6:59am On Aug 14, 2016
jericco1:
look how you made it sound so simple.
My dear it is not that simple. But the reality in the country is disheartening. I function as a HR in an organization and when we advertise for job positions, the average age of the applicants is 30. Many are 34 or 35. That means at 33 many Nigerians are yet to achieve anything let alone settle down especially the guys. Before you know it, they are 40 with nothing to show for it. So, before it becomes late they should try and start something tangible and I belief their family will become sympathetic to their plight. Even though it is not easy but that is the hard truth.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by realunclej(m): 7:04am On Aug 14, 2016
ndaman25:
God bless for the post
And you too.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by jericco1(m): 7:07am On Aug 14, 2016
realunclej:
My dear it is not that simple. But the reality in the country is disheartening. I function as a HR in an organization and when we advertise for job positions, the average age of the applicants is 30. Many are 34 or 35. That means at 33 many Nigerians are yet to achieve anything let alone settle down especially the guys. Before you know it, they are 40 with nothing to show for it. So, before it becomes late they should try and start something tangible and I belief their family will become sympathetic to their plight. Even though it is not easy but that is the hard truth.
well let's pray things get better

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by timilehing(m): 7:27am On Aug 14, 2016
You need money to start your own business

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by candidbabe(f): 7:27am On Aug 14, 2016
Insightful
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by tspun(m): 7:27am On Aug 14, 2016
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Cause I can remember how I started, I almost gave up, but I thank God for his gift of persistency, now i am so proud of my present status.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 14, 2016
This piece is priceless

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by SWORD419(m): 7:29am On Aug 14, 2016
Nonsense, stay at home and let see who would feed u

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 14, 2016
realunclej:
3. You Are A Product of a Bad Educational System: Poor funding and management of our Educational system in addition to strike has made our institution products a laughing stock. In fact, the curriculum of some studies in the institutions are not in demand. Failure of school curriculum to place emphasis on practical concepts of entreprenuership and too much emphasis on theoretical education than entreprenuership exposure is a major problem.

6. You Are One of the Educated Illiterates: Every employer wants beyond just a certificate. Every employer is out to employ someone with reasoning and intellectual might, not someone who cannot play with a full deck. Someone who knows how to and wants to learn more than what they studied in school and on the job. Someone who can readily bring ideas to the table on how the company can forge forward. Not someone with low reasoning capability who won’t even be able to answer extremely trivial questions. But guess what, that is what many of our graduates are.

Why would companies be in Nigeria and be demanding for Harvard certificates? They should better pack to those places with the Harvard certificates and skills.

Back to main topic, of course we all want to start our businesses, but everything involves money. Starting a business is not free. OP should better tell us how to raise funds rather cos that would be a better info to many people.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by babyfaceafrica: 7:30am On Aug 14, 2016
Okay
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Jayten(m): 7:30am On Aug 14, 2016
Nonsense!!!! So u think everybody will be entrepreneurs or what. Not all will be entrepreneurs and not all will work under somebody.

10 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Sexytemi(f): 7:31am On Aug 14, 2016
So because one is a graduate and holds a degree means he shouldn't look for a job...smh.

Dearest o.p not everyone has the mindset or destined to be an entrepreneur o.

12 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by trueking: 7:31am On Aug 14, 2016
I concur, but not entirely, I need the job to raise capital for the business, savings=investment.

11 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Frank3n2(m): 7:34am On Aug 14, 2016
God is watching you..
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by realunclej(m): 7:35am On Aug 14, 2016
timilehing:
You need money to start your own business
Excuse #1. You need idea to start business not money. That was the lesson I learnt when I attended a business seminar with Prof. Izedomin of Accounting in Uniben and Pastor Sunny Ojeagbase both successful business men. So far, all the business I had ventured into, I have spent little or nothing to get started. Where I had spent money, it is largely from savings, family or converting asset I don't need for now. So, you will need to build your entrepreneurial skill and recap your thinking faculty to come up with a business opportunity to get started.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by buharisbae(f): 7:35am On Aug 14, 2016
Me I already have plans
I'm just going to university because I wanna be educated but Lord knows I'm going into business

But my course u must use ur certificate no how

But I'm still gonna be an entrepreneur

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Opistorincos(m): 7:36am On Aug 14, 2016
@op,this came at the right moment, I'm about to graduate with a below average result and my parents are not really encouraging, I've been thinking of a business to venture into after school but I havent got the slightest idea. Can you help out with one? I have interest in tech related stuffs

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by sixtus3606(m): 7:36am On Aug 14, 2016
realunclej:
In all my life, when it comes to source of income, the only thing I have not done is work for anyone in a 9 to 5 job. I made that decision long before I went for higher institution. I could remember my dad telling us that he is sending us to school to acquire academic knowledge but that if we want to succeed financially in life, we should be thinking of starting our own business. Those were my guiding words all my year in school. So, while in school, I made sure I had a profitable business. In fact, it was the proceeding I used to see myself through and even start a better business after graduation. Today, I have a couple of businesses and I still have bigger dreams. I can't thank my dad enough. Maybe today, I would have been roaming the street looking for job.

If you are a graduate and you are looking for job/employment, honestly, there are at least 10 reasons why YOU will not get a job. So, I will advise you should start building your capacity to start your own business. Below are 10 reasons why you will not get a job.

1. You Lack The Required Skill. Employers continue to complain about a dearth of skills among graduates. Employers are obviously tired of seeing same set of individuals with same set of qualifications springing up for interviews daily whereas they are in need of someone that will stand out. So ask yourself, what employable skill do I have?

2. You Lack Personal Capability To Deliver: I think many graduates believe in their certificate and not in their individual capability which would make or mar their pursuits of employment. Many lack self-development and I belief you belong to that category. What have you done since you graduate to develop your personal capability?

4. You Can't Meet Employers’ Unrealistic Demands: Employers stating job experiences as much as 3 years for fresh graduates. Age restriction, height, gender, language and many more, under these tense conditions, hardly will you see a graduate that will scale through and qualify for job application requirement except those who want to cross-carpet..

5. Lack of Digital Skills: In this digital age, if you lack the digital skills and creativity to thrive in relation to your profession, you will surely be chasing a ghost if you are looking for a well paying job.

7. You Want The Pay But Not The Work: Many Nigerian graduates think of getting employed today and get a car or probably buy a mansion in the next month, based on their salary. You and I know that such only happen in dreams. Success is built over time and with hard work, perseverance, dedication and being focused over the years. Are you willing to make the sacrifice?

8. Too Much Ego With Empty Pocket: I have had the privilege to present some business opportunities to some graduates and all they can say is they can only do administrative work where they sit in an office to be answering yes sir or yes ma. It took someone who is not a graduate to embrace the same opportunity. Today these uneducated persons are 50 times better than the graduate in terms of personal capability, income, value and the caliber of people in their connection.

9. Companies Are Downsizing: I remember visiting a couple of industrial estates in Lagos recently. You will see busy security men at the gate, but when you approach them that you want to go in, they will tell you the company has folded or the workers are on strike. The story is the same across the state and I belief same thing is happening in other part of the country.

10. There Is No Job Out There: Investors are not bringing in money which means no new job opportunity is being created. There is economy recession in the country. Even the companies that are retrenching, what do you think will happen when they become financially buoyant again. I can bet they will simply recall their sacked workers. The reason is simple, it cost more to hire a new staff than to recall an old staff. So, where will you be then?

The Way Forward
The only way forward I see is for you to start something on your own. Do not despise small beginning. If you are going to start a business though, I will advise you focus on evergreen product or services. Those that are always in demand such as Agriculture, Health, Real Estate, ICT, Environmental services, Retail, Travel, Real Estate and maybe some few more. If you embark on this journey to discover your true potential, I pray for your SUCCESS but if you go down the popular path of seeking for job, I wish you lUcK.
Kai!!! See GOSPEL

e clear!!!!! Thanks bro smiley
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by rawpadgin(m): 7:36am On Aug 14, 2016
n
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 14, 2016
Ok... Starting up your own business is definitely a good idea but for success in a business you need to learn the ethics of running one from a businessman... This means you actually need to get a job on the type of business that you want to learn, acquire the knowledge before investing in it.... To avoid stories that touch

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by kingvectorv(m): 7:37am On Aug 14, 2016
tell them oo delay is dangerous
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by sixtus3606(m): 7:37am On Aug 14, 2016
BASIC LINES

The Way Forward

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by sixtus3606(m): 7:38am On Aug 14, 2016
sixtus3606:
BASIC LINES

The Way Forward

Realunclej I need to contact u personally
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Helkayklassic(m): 7:39am On Aug 14, 2016
If everyone is an Entrepreneur, who will then work for them? All of us can not be business owner.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by Larryfest(m): 7:40am On Aug 14, 2016
You are right op but where is the capital to even start a profitable business,not everyone has a sane father as yours..mine was also of the opinion of business ofcourse where i get the start up capital is entirely up to me so u see the flaw of the whole thing..

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Stop Looking For Job As A Graduate! by mickeyenglish(m): 7:41am On Aug 14, 2016
Jayten:
Nonsense!!!! So u think everybody will be entrepreneurs or what. Not all will be entrepreneurs and not all will work under somebody.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Job Seekers In Kaduna Troop Out In Search Of Job Vacancies (Photos) / NDLEA RECRUITMENT! Any News? / Replacement In The Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.