Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,764 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) (36357 Views)

Corpse Of Edward Soje, Kogi Civil Servant Who Committed Suicide By Hanging (Pic) / Desmond Nunugwo Dies In EFCC Custody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2016
Susanne, the widow of the Chief Protocol Officer of the Minister of State for Defence, Mr. Desmond Nunugwo, has accused the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of killing her husband and labelling him a criminal.

She explained that six hours after Desmond was taken into custody, he was pronounced dead.

She told PUNCH Metro that she had been calling her husband’s phone repeatedly but it was switched off as she did not know he was in EFCC’s custody in Wuse 2, Abuja.

Susanne said, “Around 3pm on June 9, my husband had gone to pick up our son from school and they both returned home. He later went out. Around 6pm, I called his line and it rang once. I tried his number several times later, but it was off.

“The next morning, I got apprehensive when he didn’t come home. However, around 3.48pm, someone called me with his phone and said my husband was in the EFCC’s custody and I should come to bail him.”

Susanne said on getting to the EFCC, she was told to go and get a man because being a woman, her husband could not be released on bail to her.

Shortly after leaving, the EFCC was alleged to have issued a press statement breaking the news of Desmond’s death.

She said, “The EFCC called me to their office to come and bail my husband while he was already at the mortuary.

“I later received a phone call from a former colleague of mine that he had read the news online that my husband was arrested for fraud and he had died.”

The widow said she was informed that her husband’s arrest was sequel to a petition written by one Uloma, his business associate.

Susanne said, “She (Uloma) told the EFCC that she met my husband on a flight in 2012 when he was on his way to the US where I went to give birth. She said my husband introduced her to a third party with whom she did a N91m transaction.”

Susanne berated the EFCC for labelling her husband a fraudster even after causing his death, adding that the anti-graft agency must clear his name.

The nephew of the deceased, Amaechi Ihezie, told PUNCH Metro that when he visited the EFCC, investigators told him that Desmond slumped and died.

He said the anti-graft agency denied Desmond bail even after it had been discovered that he did not receive any money from the transaction.

Ihezie accused the EFCC of being overzealous as the commission did not inform the Ministry of Defence of Desmond’s arrest or investigation even though he had been working at the ministry for over 10 years.

“The EFCC told me that before he died, he wrote a statement of four pages. They gave him his phone to make calls for about two hours and then nobody came to bail him and so they said they transferred him to their head office and that a few hours later, he started to complain of discomfort and slumped. They said he was rushed to the hospital and confirmed dead,” he added.

In a petition addressed to the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), the lawyer of the family, Mr. Paul Edeh, alleged a cover-up in the case.

Edeh said the EFCC had released all those, who were in detention with Desmond, on the day he died so that there would be no witnesses.

The petition partly read, “The EFCC has blatantly refused that a post-mortem examination should be carried out on the body so as not to be indicted. This may have been the reason why more than two months after Desmond’s death, no move has been made to carry out an autopsy.

“After many visits by our clients to the EFCC and the police, both agencies have maintained that Desmond died a natural death. One, therefore, wonders how both the police and the EFCC could come up with such a common position in the absence of a medical examination to determine the cause of death.”

However, the EFCC had said in a statement by its spokesman, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren, that the deceased allegedly fraudulently obtained N91m from an acquaintance after he tricked her into believing that he had high net worth business associates in Dubai, who were on the verge of buying NICON Insurance, and convinced her of their disposition to help her stockfish business.

Consequently, she allegedly wired N91m into an account, Mainage General Merchants, in Diamond Bank.

The EFCC added, “After the transfer of the funds, he became evasive forcing the complainant to report to the EFCC. Consequently, he was arrested in Utako, Abuja, at about 5.33pm on Thursday, June 9, 2016.

“He admitted to receiving the money from the complainant, with the additional information that he transferred N30m of the said money to Norway. But he could not explain the whereabouts of the balance of N61m.

“The suspect was detained at about 7.30pm, in the absence of anybody to take him on bail. Six hours later, he suddenly complained of discomfort and was rushed to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

http://www.punching.com/woman-kicks-husband-dies-efccs-custody/

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by tyson99(m): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2016
Something is hidden

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Abraham4christ(m): 6:55am On Aug 15, 2016
EFCC are finish.

26 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Montaque(m): 6:56am On Aug 15, 2016
EFCC has turned most of our criminal administrative laws on its head since 2015. Yet no conviction.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by 13regular: 7:14am On Aug 15, 2016
In a sane world, heads will be rolling now in that agency but here in the United states of Nigeria, those responsible for the suspect's death will even get promoted!

The EFCC and police said "he died of natural causes"
which means the EFCC chair and IG of pilice did the autopsy together in their rooms!!

God help this nation!!!

136 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by NATIONALPASTOR: 8:54am On Aug 15, 2016
Buharis Fulani regime is on jihad ethnic cleansing.

People should oppose this man now or Nigeria will experience what they never bargained for.

The jihadists used the afonjas to rise to power but little did afonjas know the true plans of the jihadists.

Using efcc/DSS to kill middle belt.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by MadCow1: 11:21am On Aug 15, 2016
Probably the product of a crude interrogation technique.... or a pre-existing condition.

5 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by AntiWailer: 11:21am On Aug 15, 2016
THey don't have liver yet they will be stealing millions.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by adewumiopeyemi(m): 11:24am On Aug 15, 2016
MAY GOD HELP us... ANY WAY RIP TO HIM sad sad sad

1 Like

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by shiki(m): 11:24am On Aug 15, 2016
In the words of OBJ ...Toothless bulldogs

EFCC just be like ...let's just continue with the anti corruption fight

5 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 15, 2016
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by israelboy1(m): 11:25am On Aug 15, 2016
Government of the people

By the people

And...for the people

I know my country will be great again....but, I am really tired of been optimistic already.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Judolisco(m): 11:26am On Aug 15, 2016
His family should take d case 2 court arbi which kind rubbish bdis u go arrest person jail am,spoil him name for press yet no court sentence

6 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by iceberryose(m): 11:26am On Aug 15, 2016
AntiWailer:
THey don't have liver yet they will be stealing millions.
Get sense na
No amount of money is worth someone's life
And they saying he died of natural cause is a show of collosal foolishness
They conducted the autopsy themselves??

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by stexsy(m): 11:26am On Aug 15, 2016
EFCC is as useless as BUHARI....

24 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by sathel(m): 11:26am On Aug 15, 2016
Sometimes we need to be unlawful in our decision angry
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by davss02(m): 11:27am On Aug 15, 2016
Its one thing dah will kuku kill sum1...it is inevitable
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by 190theclown: 11:28am On Aug 15, 2016
Nigeria is indeed cursed!!

undecided undecided

I dont know why any sane human beings would still live in that country

3 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by OVI75(m): 11:28am On Aug 15, 2016
Jihadist on Rampage.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by NairaMaster1(m): 11:30am On Aug 15, 2016
Eeyaaa! His own party agents? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by richidinho(m): 11:30am On Aug 15, 2016
EFCC ehn!
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by AntiWailer: 11:30am On Aug 15, 2016
iceberryose:

Get sense na
No amount of money is worth someone's life
And they saying he died of natural cause is a show of collosal foolishness
They conducted the autopsy themselves??

Who cares about the story you are telling ?

So did they beat him to death ?

or because he is dead makes him innocent of every charge ?

Was he witch hunted too ?

answer the questions and stop ranting and making everything political.

They should go to court and seek justice if he is innocent. Death does not wash away guilts automatically. That is sentiment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by lonelydora: 11:31am On Aug 15, 2016
Any evil done to man by man shall never go unpunished, and shall be redressed either in this life or next , either by man or by God
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 15, 2016
He wasn't being tortured...or is it H.P dat killed him? Na wa o Life
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by snezBaba: 11:32am On Aug 15, 2016
NATIONALPASTOR:
Buharis Fulani regime is on jihad ethnic cleansing.
People should oppose this man now or Nigeria will experience what they never bargained for.
The jihadists used the afonjas to rise to power but little did afonjas know the true plans of the jihadists.
Using efcc/DSS to kill middle belt.
So it was buhari that ordered his arrest Abi? Keep shouting afonjas gave him the position,its only foolishness to rake 1,9million in one state and not expect the person to win a.n election. angry
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Anaskie(m): 11:33am On Aug 15, 2016
EFCC is just terrible.

That's how the other day, I went to their PH office to bail a client. On getting there, I saw an old pensioner who had been detained for over a week. EFCC alleged that the man was a ghost worker and had been ripping off the FG. They picked up the man at the Bank where he went to make some withdrawals and bundled him off like a criminal.

Turned out that the old man was actually a legitimate pensioner who had duly served his country for many years. Despite realizing their mistake, the silly EFCC people didn't even have the decency of offering any apology.

I officially gave up on Nigeria that day.

I don't even want to get started on how they harass and detain innocent Bankers for no reason at all.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by rottenegg: 11:34am On Aug 15, 2016
190theclown:

undecided undecided

I ask myself that question daily!
Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 15, 2016
190theclown:

undecided undecided

so u want to show urself dat you dont live in nigeria ba? Mtcheeeww

4 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by chronique(m): 11:36am On Aug 15, 2016
I'm sorry to say this but this Buhar/APC govt,is a curse to Nigerians. If things continue like this till 2019,I fear for what the outcome will be.

11 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by mastermaestro(m): 11:38am On Aug 15, 2016
It's no curse but truth that this country cannot do well. You can't keep killing people like chickens even if they were guilty, without proper application of natural laws and you expect things to go well. Impossible! Too many bitter restless souls are crying against this nation.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Servant Dies In Efcc's Custody After Six Hours (pictured) by Greenbullet(m): 11:38am On Aug 15, 2016
or death no consign me,where is your share of the looted fund.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anita Akapson: How Police Killed Nenadi Usman, Ex-Minister's Daughter / Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai / Bertrand Ifeanyichukwu Akile: Wanted Nigerian Fraudster Arrested In Thailand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.