Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman (694 Views)

Full Text Of Tinubu's Letter To Buhari About Oyegun/APC Crisis Emerges / Tinubu Meets With Oyegun, APC leaders In Abuja / "Oyegun’s APC Leadership Lacks Focus" - Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Jirate(m): 5:02am On Aug 16, 2016
The national chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, has described his foray into politics as “accidental.”
Odigie-Oyegun, who clocked 77 last Friday, said this while speaking in Abuja, weekend.

He said he was tactically co-opted into politics by his late friend who was a general in the military.

He said: “I visited a friend in Ikoyi Hotel, the late General Liene. He said he had a meeting in his house in Benin, but he was in Lagos then and he asked me if I could attend (meeting). I said no. But he told me that, ‘we just want to borrow from your wisdom and benefit from any advice you want to give us.’ So, as his friend, I said okay. So, I went to this meeting. It was held behind his house, not knowing that he had set the big trap for me.

“They were setting up committees. I spoke once or twice on the setting up of committees. They ended up saying that Chief Oyegun would be a member of that committee. In spite of all protests, I finally settled down.

“But I said I would be a back bencher by interacting with them and giving advice. I would assist with the best of my ability. I was in politics, but not in elective politics at that stage. I was contented to be a back bencher. I didn’t want anything at all. We started during the early IBB days when all associations were established.”

The APC national chairman recalled that he became an aspirant during the period after his rejection of another aspirant who was being sponsored by the opposition.
Odigie-Oyegun, who served from January 1992 to November 1993 as civilian governor of Edo State on the SDP platform before he was removed from office after General Sani Abacha seized power, said the high-point of his political career was reached when his election was annulled.
He said that he knew the election would be annulled because he recalled that a member of the tribunal from Borno State visited him twice.

“Of course, those days, we didn’t think of giving bribe. I didn’t know if that was what went wrong. He came a second time and he started saying: ‘Well, look, whatever way this thing goes, we are sure even if the election would be held again, you will beat Lucky Igbinedion hands down, no fear about that. Whatever may happen, just take it and face it.’ I said: ‘haha! What is going to happen? I put two and two together. I said it was clear that the election would be annulled. It was annulled. But that was why I think that episode as one of my finest moments because the entire country converged and described it very revolting and unacceptable.

The chairman of that tribunal had to be smuggled out of Benin. He was virtually rejected by members of his family. So, it was pleasant. The whole state rose up like one man.”
“IBB was in East Africa then. The situation was so charged that he had to cut short his tour. I got my election back. I was reinstated. The rest, as they say, is history.”

www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/politics/i-got-into-politics-by-accident-oyegun/158938.html#TOdxHQbArxkl8Ok5.99

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Jirate(m): 5:02am On Aug 16, 2016

Like wise Buhari, no doubt about, they are all accidental politicians. cool

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Nobody: 5:17am On Aug 16, 2016
We will vote for a reasonable party in 2019. This suffering is too much sad

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by kossyablaze(m): 5:50am On Aug 16, 2016
dickrider:
We will vote for a reasonable party in 2019. This suffering is too much sad
Vote APGA na wink
Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Lanretoye(m): 6:14am On Aug 16, 2016
chai!!!,accidental leaders be providing accidental leadership.

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Noneroone(m): 6:21am On Aug 16, 2016
Obviously not only you
buhari and most of his ministers were born by mistake

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:24am On Aug 16, 2016
I for sey shocked shocked shocked

is that the reason he dish out accidental statements??

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by chukslawrence(m): 6:26am On Aug 16, 2016
Boot urself out accidentally nah. I know say money wey you dey see no go gree you. SMH

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Funlordjnr: 6:30am On Aug 16, 2016
Who cares?
Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by ANBAKO: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2016
These old politicians think that they are smart!!!

Chief, quit this accidental thing....everybody, you inclusive entered politics to better their life and, maybe, life of their people.

If your political journey is by accident, then you are not fit to be a party chairman....a ruling party for that matter!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by iokpebholo: 7:24am On Aug 16, 2016
And u remained a politician by accident. Liar

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:39am On Aug 16, 2016
This old liar again

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Femich18(m): 7:41am On Aug 16, 2016
chukslawrence:
Boot urself out accidentally nah. I know say money wey you dey see no go gree you. SMH
That is a day-dream...That can't be possible bro

1 Like

Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 16, 2016
Your life your headache
my signature my business
Re: I Got Into Politics By Accident - Oyegun, APC National Chairman by Jirate(m): 12:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
Noneroone:
Obviously not only you

buhari and most of his ministers were born by mistake

grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

We Did Not Seal-up Convention Venue But Providing Security – Rivers CP / International Media Tag NDA As Oil Rebels - AFP / Fayose`s Attacks On Buhari Childish - Kashamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.