Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,783 members, 7,802,427 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 (7282 Views)

Ibadan Summit: Yoruba leaders, govs Insist on restructuring & regional govt / Obasanjo Saluting The Corpse Of Murtala Mohammed (Throwback Photo) / The Removal Of The Lagos-Calabar Rail: Ben Murray-Bruce Reacts On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by attackgat: 8:03am On Aug 16, 2016
I remember sometime in the 90's when my cousin came back from the UK and 'dashed' me £15 pounds. On the 5 pound note was Florence Nigthingale, the British woman creditated with inventing modern day Nursing profession. On the 10 pound note was Isaac Newton, renouned British physicist. All over the world, different nations honour their heroes and celebrated citizens by giving them a place of priviledge on their local currency. Those heroes are usually people of impeccable character who have contributed positively to the country and even the wider world. People worth emulating.

It is therefore shocking that a country like Nigeria can give a coup plotter, failed Soldier, genocidal killer, mass-murderer and despot such Murtala Ramat Mohammed a place of honour on the N20 note. It is a national disgrace and embarrassment that a man like Murtala Mohammed can be celebrated in our soceity this way after all the crimes he committed in his life time. Murtala's crimes are too numerous but I will mention just 3.

1) He led the counter coup of July 1966 where he superviced the systematic slaughter of over 300 fellow Soldiers, mostly of Eastern extraction which included General Ironsi. Murtalas coup then took on ethnic and religious connotations and ultimately resulted in over 50,000 people, men, women and children being killed.

2) At the start of the war, Murtala Mohammed marched into Asaba. The few Asaba indigenes who still believed in 'one Nigeria' came out to welcome the Federal troops at cable point area of the city. Almost 1000 of them were gunned down on the spot by Murtala's men.

3) Retreating Biafran troops had blown up the Niger Bridge leading into Onitsha. Murtala was warned by Army headquarters that Biafran Soldiers had taken up defensive positions on the other side of the River. He was told to go up north where it was safe to cross the River. Murtala, believing in his false sense of bravado as a military tactician, disregarded direct orders and tried to cross the River into Onitsha 3 times. All met with huge catastrophe amongst his troops. Thousands of Nigerian soldiers were used as target practice by the Biafran Soldiers while others drowned in the River. Murtala then went up North and crossed the River then tried again to invade Onitsha. He led a contingent of 100 trucks full of troops, ammunition and supplies but was but was stopped at Abagana and completely destroyed. Murtala barely made it out of that battle with his life. After this episode, Murtala was recalled from the war front and sent on indefinite leave to London after leading thousands of men to their deaths due to his bad leadership.

Murtala was one of the worst Officers ever produced by the Nigerian Army. He was a homicidal maniac, accomplished coup plotter, genocidal killer, war criminal, military dictator and a narcissist of incredible dimensions. Why is this evil man on the N20 note?

46 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kuuljay(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2016
Clap for yourself!!!!

11 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kbams241: 8:08am On Aug 16, 2016
Dis not even one of the first 1000 problems nigeria is facing. And Aw is dis gona elp our economy?

29 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Bari22: 8:11am On Aug 16, 2016
Remove zik first

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Apelex(m): 8:12am On Aug 16, 2016
SMH..

What does murtala have to do with this dullardino on seat?
What does murtala have to do with our ailing economy and fantastic inflation on the rise?

MURTALA my footh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Wizzyblack3(m): 8:13am On Aug 16, 2016
I knew nothing about all these allegations, lemme goan ask baba bubu for more details.
Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by seunmsg(m): 8:19am On Aug 16, 2016
Another wailing thread by a pained ipob wailer. Murtala Muhammed is a former head of state and a national hero who fought gallantly during the civil war to keep Nigeria together. We shall continue to honour him in as much as Nigeria is still in existence. All your allegations against him are pure trash. You Ipob revisionist should learn to move on, the civil war is long over. Accept your defeat and stop wailing over what happened in the 1960's.

48 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by TechRev: 8:20am On Aug 16, 2016
A nation of criminals lead by criminals will honor criminals. And will always be lead by criminals.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by shukuokukobambi: 8:21am On Aug 16, 2016
attackgat:
[b] I remember sometime in the 90's when my cousin came back from the UK and 'dashed' me £15 pounds. On the 5 pound note was Florence Nigthingale, the British woman creditated with inventing modern day Nursing profession. On the 10 pound note was Isaac Newton, renouned British physicist. All over the world, different nations honour their heroes and celebrated citizens by giving them a place of priviledge on their local currency. Those heroes are usually people of impeccable character who have contributed positively to the country and even the wider world. People worth emulating.

It is therefore shocking that a country like Nigeria can give a coup plotter, failed Soldier, genocidal killer, mass-murderer and despot such Murtala Ramat Mohammed a place of honour on the N20 note. It is a national disgrace and embarrassment that a man like Murtala Mohammed can be celebrated in our soceity this way after all the crimes he committed in his life time. Murtala's crimes are too numerous but I will mention just 3.

1) He led the counter coup of July 1966 where he superviced the systematic slaughter of over 300 fellow Soldiers, mostly of Eastern extraction which included General Ironsi. Murtalas coup then took on ethnic and religious connotations and ultimately resulted in over 50,000 people, men, women and children being killed.

2) At the start of the war, Murtala Mohammed marched into Asaba. The few Asaba indigenes who still believed in 'one Nigeria' came out to welcome the Federal troops at cable point area of the city. Almost 1000 of them were gunned down on the spot by Murtala's men.

3) Retreating Biafran troops had blown up the Niger Bridge leading into Onitsha. Murtala was warned by Army headquarters that Biafran Soldiers had taken up defensive positions on the other side of the River. He was told to go up north where it was safe to cross the River. Murtala, believing in his false sense of bravado as a military tactician, disregarded direct orders and tried to cross the River into Onitsha 3 times. All met with huge catastrophe amongst his troops. Thousands of Nigerian soldiers were used as target practice by the Biafran Soldiers while others drowned in the River. Murtala then went up North and crossed the River then tried again to invade Onitsha. He led a contingent of 100 trucks full of troops, ammunition and supplies but was but was stopped at Abagana and completely destroyed. Murtala barely made it out of that battle with his life. After this episode, Murtala was recalled from the war front and sent on indefinite leave to London after leading thousands of men to their deaths due to his bad leadership.

Murtala was one of the worst Officers ever produced by the Nigerian Army. He was a homicidal maniac, accomplished coup plotter, genocidal killer, military dictator and a narcissist of incredible dimensions. Why is this evil man on the N20 note? [/b]

Don't bother yourself nwokem.

Surely he won't feature on our biafran pounds when we get free cheesy

He's a Nigerian hero and died a Nigerian just like ojukwu cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by tolugar: 8:22am On Aug 16, 2016
Just clicked this post to comment. I don't care what you wrote up there

It's only a broke nigger that I'll stir at a 20naira bill so long to detect a fault.

That should be your last card.
Spend it wisely

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kstix(m): 8:31am On Aug 16, 2016
Really. Op u obviously know nothing. Did u know that ojukwu was his instructor? Did u know that there wouldn't have been a biafra war which led to massacre had aguiyi ironsi not started a coup in d first place. And instead of executing the coup plotters, he was giving them nice treatments which made the north swing into action. Did u know that the war wouldnt have been won if not for him and obasanjo? Without Army HQ support he crossed the asaba river d third time after failing twice? Did u know that when he was head of state he abolished the 1976 consensus which always favoured the north. This guy went against his own people. He fought corruption tooth and nail and was in the process of changing government into a democratic rule when he was assasinated.? Maybe u should google search him and look him up on wikipedia to know more heroic feats he achieved. This dude was arguably the best head of state nigeria ever had even for the brief period he ruled.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by hungryboy(m): 8:36am On Aug 16, 2016
tolugar:

It's only a broke nigger that I'll stir at a 20naira bill so long to detect a fault.

Spend it wisely
all this E-millionaires sha,
We are trying to have a discussion here not compare bank accounts and net worths,
If you have nothing to contribute,
Take your E-rich ass off this thread

6 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by cheruv: 8:40am On Aug 16, 2016
The OP is saying the truth...MM failed at everything he did. After killing 1000 Anioma indigenes at asaba,he proceeded to lose/waste 10000 soldiers at the failed battles of Onicha-Ado and ultimately Abāgana which led to his retirement from the war undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by citizenY(m): 8:41am On Aug 16, 2016
tolugar:

Spend it wisely

@post...

Put your money where your mouth is. No spend "muri" , no put am for purse or pocket collect am as change. Trust me ,you will be just fine.

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Lastking147(m): 8:44am On Aug 16, 2016
Its obvious u have a thing called hatred fr him
Plus this aint gon hlp d economy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by citizenY(m): 8:47am On Aug 16, 2016
tolugar:

Spend it wisely

Op....

@post...

Put your money where your mouth is. No spend "muri" , no put am for purse or pocket or collect am as change. Trust me ,you will be just fine.

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by hungryboy(m): 8:50am On Aug 16, 2016
cheruv:
The OP is saying the truth...MM failed at everything he did. After killing 1000 Anioma indigenes at asaba,he proceeded to lose/waste 10000 soldiers at the failed battles of Onicha-Ado and ultimately Abāgana which led to his retirement from the war undecided
you are on point,
If Americans could talk and even campaign for the removal of Andrew Jackson, an ex president, and war hero from the $20 bill, because he owned slaves and killed thousands of native Americans,
Why can't we do same here without being tagged Ipob youths or wailing wailers?,

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Oahray: 8:56am On Aug 16, 2016
Why bother? At the current rate of inflation, N20 and N10 would soon be useless like N5. Fix the economy first sad
Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by hopeforcharles(m): 9:42am On Aug 16, 2016
tolugar:

Spend it wisely
You are a badt guy, so he is poor lol grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by DIKEnaWAR: 9:52am On Aug 16, 2016
Ahmadu Bello is worse than Murtala, yet he occupies a choice spot on the #200 bill, baring his fangs and grinning from ear to ear.

Truth is, left to me it will only be people like Herbert Macauley, Alvan Ikoku and Ladi Kwali(who should have been on the front of #20 bill with Murtala at the back). The rest are political jobbers and led us to this sorry mess.

I can't imagine Obj, Buhari, GEJ or IBB on our currency. May that day never break.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by attackgat: 9:53am On Aug 16, 2016
kstix:
Really. Op u obviously know nothing. Did u know that ojukwu was his instructor? Did u know that there wouldn't have been a biafra war which led to massacre had aguiyi ironsi not started a coup in d first place. And instead of executing the coup plotters, he was giving them nice treatments which made the north swing into action. Did u know that the war wouldnt have been won if not for him and obasanjo? Without Army HQ support he crossed the asaba river d third time after failing twice? Did u know that when he was head of state he abolished the 1976 consensus which always favoured the north. This guy went against his own people. He fought corruption tooth and nail and was in the process of changing government into a democratic rule when he was assasinated.? Maybe u should google search him and look him up on wikipedia to know more heroic feats he achieved. This dude was arguably the best head of state nigeria ever had even for the brief period he ruled.

Even Hittler achieved many heroic feats for Germany. Why do you think Germany never put him on the Deutche Mark? Hittler and Murtala were both coup plotters, genocidal killers and dictators. The only difference between them is that Hitler killed far more people.

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Wizzyblack3(m): 9:56am On Aug 16, 2016
Oahray:
Why bother? At the current rate of inflation, N20 and N10 would soon be useless like N5. Fix the economy first sad
How do you fix d economy of a divided nation like Nigeria. Not until we find solutions to the fundamental problems of this country, am afraid no meaningful goal will be achieved as a nation. Our so called leaders knew this but will always fail to address it..

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kstix(m): 10:59am On Aug 16, 2016
attackgat:

Even Hittler achieved many heroic feats for Germany. Why do you think Germany never put him on the Deutche Mark? Hittler and Murtala were both coup plotters, genocidal killers and dictators. The only difference between them is that Hitler killed far more people.
u must be really delusional to compare hitler with murtala. Murtala didnt become head of state through coup. Gowon did after ironsi plotted nigeria's first coup. I refered u to wikipedia. Go and read about him, get ur facts right before coming to post what u have half knowledge about

3 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 16, 2016
seunmsg:
Another wailing thread by a pained ipob wailer. Murtala Muhammed is a former head of state and a national hero who fought gallantly during the civil war to keep Nigeria together. We shall continue to honour him in as much as Nigeria is still in existence. All your allegations against him are pure trash. You Ipob revisionist should learn to move on, the civil war is long over. Accept your defeat and stop wailing over what happened in the 1960's.
But seriously if what the OP wrote above is true then Murtala Mohammed certainly doesn't deserve to have his head on the note. Just stating it as it is.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kross01(m): 11:53am On Aug 16, 2016
kstix:

u must be really delusional to compare hitler with murtala. Murtala didnt become head of state through coup. Gowon did after ironsi plotted nigeria's first coup. I refered u to wikipedia. Go and read about him, get ur facts right before coming to post what u have half knowledge about

Word of advice sir, Wikipedia is not really a good source for reference that is why it can never be admissible in academic works as a reference source because it is open source document whereas anyone can login and edit or posit a write up there. That said, I believe you should be the one to read more about MM as it is on record that he spearheaded the 1966 coup and the subsequent one that toppled Gowon. As a matter of fact, he wanted to head the SMC after the 1966 coup despite being a jnr Officer below the ranks of Adeyinka, Babafemi, Gowon and Ojukwu. His coup plots are known to be arrogantly styled that in both occasions he openly announced it to whoever cared to listen. As a matter of fact, he told Gowon's CSO when planning the coup against Gowon blankly that there was a plan for a coup and he could go reveal it to anyone he liked.
Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by tolugar: 12:03pm On Aug 16, 2016
hungryboy:
all this E-millionaires sha,
We are trying to have a discussion here not compare bank accounts and net worths,
If you have nothing to contribute,
Take your E-rich ass off this thread

I discuss issues that yield progress both self and communal

Not

Issues that castigates and draws oneself back.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by onward4life(m): 12:12pm On Aug 16, 2016
kbams241:
Dis not even one of the first 1000 problems nigeria is facing. And Aw is dis gona elp our economy?

I was not even aware of this ploblem as @ this morning....if this one na even wahala let it remain...

1 Like

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by kstix(m): 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
kross01:

Word of advice sir, Wikipedia is not really a good source for reference that is why it can never be admissible in academic works as a reference source because it is open source document whereas anyone can login and edit or posit a write up there. That said, I believe you should be the one to read more about MM as it is on record that he spearheaded the 1966 coup and the subsequent one that toppled Gowon. As a matter of fact, he wanted to head the SMC after the 1966 coup despite being a jnr Officer below the ranks of Adeyinka, Babafemi, Gowon and Ojukwu. His coup plots are known to be arrogantly styled that in both occasions he openly announced it to whoever cared to listen. As a matter of fact, he told Gowon's CSO when planning the coup against Gowon blankly that there was a plan for a coup and he could go reveal it to anyone he liked.
lol. Dont make me laugh pls. When u scroll down wikipedia page, do u find references or not. They dont just write from a source , they gather various sources together both pro and cons about the subject matter. Alot of people use the references on wikipedia for educational work. I used it for my project work in my final year at obafemi awolowo university. So dont get all ignorant here saying wikipedia isnt credible. Go and look it up again and come back to tender ur arguments
Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by Hash86(m): 12:37pm On Aug 16, 2016
Biafra was long gone and forgotten you people should learn to move on. Muri is a national hero whether you like it or not. He fought for the unity of Nigeria and died serving Nigeria.
There is no war without collateral damage, and he was a soldier fighting for Nigerian army so if you want to put the blame on somebody you should blame Nigerian Army for his actions.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by decasey(m): 12:55pm On Aug 16, 2016
I have been thinking about dis issue 4 a long time.
Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by MutantMetahuman: 12:57pm On Aug 16, 2016
Ipobian goats never get over anything in their life. May be that's why they remain so backward.

They never get over civil war that happened 40 something years ago, when the Germans have moved after losing two consecutive world wars and now a world power.

They never get over gej's loss. They want buhari to fail even if the failure spells doom for them.

.. I don't know what these people are made of..
There is special breed of hatred in them that is out of this world.

Buncha sore losers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Must All Insist On The Removal Of Murtala Mohammeds Picture From The N20 by femidejulius(m): 1:06pm On Aug 16, 2016
OP relax...

Nowadays, 20 naira is no longer really put in use. Our one naira picture of Herbert Macaulay is gone. With this inflation and dwindling economy, it is only time b4 we forget about 20 naira.

You talk of Nightingale and Newton. Can you pls suggest Nigeria's Nightingale and Newton you think are worthy to be on our currencies?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Another Blunder Spotted In The North (pics) / Endsars Rapper Nigerian Coke New Song / NPC Commences Training Of Functionaries For The 2023 Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.