Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,848 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:13 PM

Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? (2829 Views)

Do Christianity & Radical Islam Really Differ? / Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? / Do Christianity And Islam Cause CORRUPTION? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by JerryQ: 8:42pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

I believe we have a God but religions all over the world don't know his nature.
I'm seeking the truth.
I also believe that Jesus was a popular figure in his time that preaches oneness, love, hardwork and forgiveness but he was overhyped by his followers.

Your belief is not Christian like. Jesus Christ is not an overhyped popular figure to us Christians. You Speak like a Muslim, you are not asking to know, you are only here to sell your twisted idea. If you are not sure about a subject it might be best you leave it only or ask sincere questions.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 8:42pm On Aug 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

Even the old testament is a volume of many books with various ideas that may even differ from one another. In my view the old testament as a whole is by inspiration of God and they contain the human story. But l do not believe everything written therein are to be taken literally. We have inspiring books like Ecclesiastes,psalms,proverbs(my favorite), job, and of course Esther. Then we have the beautiful story of Joseph and the eventful, adventurous life of David. Of course the old testament is very important to me as a christian and l cherish it, but l do not enjoy all books equally, for instance l find it difficult to understand the prophets. Also, l believe in the worldview of some of the old testament authors, God is responsible for everything both good and evil, even Satan does not act on his own, and he is like a messenger of God.
first of all I want to appreciate your school of thought but I want to correct it .....Satan since the time that name was given he as stopped working for God the old testament shows us the mistake of some characters so that we as Christians won't follow their foot steps ...... during the time of old they were living under the law because of the sin of Adam and Eve so God turned is back against man and did not speak with man bur with his prophet which he hand picked by himself ....buh the new testament tells us about how God came to die and removed the veil between man and God ....and please Christians were first given the name in Antioch because the people behave like Christ .....in all their doings .....I hope I have answered your question
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:45pm On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=kilo4sure post=48541998][/quote] which do you believe base on that. The old or the new testament?
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2016
JerryQ:

Your belief is not Christian like. Jesus Christ is not an overhyped popular figure to us Christians. You Speak like a Muslim, you are not asking to know, you are only here to sell your twisted idea. If you are not sure about a subject it might be best you leave it only or ask sincere questions.
the bolded part shows how religion has eaten deep into you. You mean any question not in accordance with your belief is not sincere.

1 Like

Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

if any of the religions in the world have Knowledge (knowing his nature) about God don't you think that would have been the end to Man's problem?
But No. Religions are based of beliefs.

Man's problems are not caused by lack of that knowledge. They are caused by people who know exactly who God is, and believe, and despise Him through rebellion and oppression.

The people who don't have that knowledge are some of the most harmless in this world. So if your atheism is simply out of lack of knowledge, you are blessed. If it's out of rebellion with all the knowledge you need, you are the devil that's responsible for the woes of your neighbours.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:53pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
first of all I want to appreciate your school of thought but I want to correct it .....Satan since the time that name was given he as stopped working for God the old testament shows us the mistake of some characters so that we as Christians won't follow their foot steps ...... during the time of old they were living under the law because of the sin of Adam and Eve so God turned is back against man and did not speak with man bur with his prophet which he hand picked by himself ....buh the new testament tells us about how God came to die and removed the veil between man and God ....and please Christians were first given the name in Antioch because the people behave like Christ .....in all their doings .....I hope I have answered your question
If Jehovah/Yahweh give permission to satan don't you think he is evil?
It's just like Buhari giving orders to BH to carry suicide bomb attacks.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 8:57pm On Aug 16, 2016
Muafrika2:

Man's problems are not caused by lack of that knowledge. They are caused by people who know exactly who God is, and believe, and despise Him through rebellion and oppression.

The people who don't have that knowledge are some of the most harmless in this world. So if your atheism is simply out of lack of knowledge, you are blessed. If it's out of rebellion with all the knowledge you need, you are the devil that's responsible for the woes of your neighbours.
you are indirectly saying that we shouldn't have the knowledge of God so we can all be harmless.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 8:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
[quote author=kilo4sure post=48541998][/quote]well Satan sponsored somethings in the bible like the case of samson, Moses,and some other heroes of faith buh we can't say all even in the case of job it was Satan that met God to take permission to tempt job ....so we can say God used Satan to put job on a test
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by kilo4sure: 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

which do you believe base on that. The old or the new testament?
I believe the new testament, however l believe we give the Devil too much credit and power. However the nature of God becomes more interesting when we combine both testaments and of course gives us much food for thought. In the old testament, Yahweh is good though indifferent. He is just, and does what he has to do. In the new testament, the Devil is more prominent as an opposer to God's divine will, and God is light and there's no trace of darkness in him, he is not counting our sin against us and does not punish instantly, he is love and he is willing to help our weaknesses all the way. I am more inclined to the new testament but l believe there's a lot to learn from the old. It is interesting though.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:05pm On Aug 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

I believe the new testament, however l believe we give the Devil too much credit and power. However the nature of God becomes more interesting when we combine both testaments and of course gives us much food for thought. In the old testament, Yahweh is good though indifferent. He is just, and does what he has to do. In the new testament, the Devil is more prominent as an opposer to God's divine will, and God is light and there's no trace of darkness in him, he is not counting our sin against us and does not punish instantly, he is love and he is willing to help our weaknesses all the way. I am more inclined to the new testament but l believe there's a lot to learn from the old. It is interesting though.
can you prove that God and Devil exists?
Does the bible contents reflects to reality?
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:07pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
well Satan sponsored somethings in the bible like the case of samson, Moses,and some other heroes of faith buh we can't say all even in the case of job it was Satan that met God to take permission to tempt job ....so we can say God used Satan to put job on a test
like Buhari telling Bh to carry out suicide attacks?
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by kilo4sure: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

I believe the book of job is a fascinating book asking more questions than giving answers. In proverbs, the righteous is duly rewarded and the wicked punished in this life. This was the dominant view of the Israelites. The book of job is a paradigm shift that looks into the problem of suffering of the righteous contrary to popular belief at the time, it is more than a simplistic characterization of who is good or evil.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2016
kilo4sure:

I believe the book of job is a fascinating book asking more questions than giving answers. In proverbs, the righteous is duly rewarded and the wicked punished in this life. This was the dominant view of the Israelites. The book of job is a paradigm shift that looks into the problem of suffering, it is more than a simplistic characterization of who is good or evil.
still same with my comparism
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:17pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

Yahweh is not evil whenever he gives permission is to test the the person is just like someone writing examination after lots of lesson that it and it won't tempt the person higher than is level
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
Yahweh is not evil whenever he gives permission is to test the the person is just like someone writing examination after lots of lesson that it and it won't tempt the person higher than is level
just like Buhari giving orders to Bh to carry out suicide attacks to test whether we are security conscious grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
Alright. I now get Christianity is related to the old testament. But I got this question. Why is it that the name Yahweh or Jehovah was not mentioned in the new testatment.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:22pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

like Buhari telling Bh to carry out suicide attacks?
noo sir is not like that God is superior to all humans and things buh God does not send satan to tempt man ...man is never tempted by God ...you need to start reading the bible to understand the supremacy and work of God
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
noo sir is not like that God is superior to all humans and things buh God does not send satan to tempt man ...man is never tempted by God ...you need to start reading the bible to understand the supremacy and work of God
since Yahweh is greater than Satan don't you think Satan must have received orders from above before tempting someone?
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:33pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:
Alright. I now get Christianity is related to the old testament. But I got this question. Why is it that the name Yahweh or Jehovah was not mentioned in the new testatment.
because Jesus came ....Jesus came to break the veil covered by sin and law he can to clear it because in the old testament there was no connection between everyone in the face of the earth then holy true prophet that God talked to...but when Jesus died the veil was torn ..so all men could connect to God without any prophet ....
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by hopefulLandlord: 9:34pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

just like Buhari giving orders to Bh to carry out suicide attacks to test whether we are security conscious grin

1 Like

Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:40pm On Aug 16, 2016
01Mysticdon:

since Yahweh is greater than Satan don't you think Satan must have received orders from above before tempting someone?
Satan lives on heart so is easy for him to manipulate man and his a very wise
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:40pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
because Jesus came ....Jesus came to break the veil covered by sin and law he can to clear it because in the old testament there was no connection between everyone in the face of the earth then holy true prophet that God talked to...but when Jesus died the veil was torn ..so all men could connect to God without any prophet ....
so Yahweh created that viel?
And how those the bolded part relate to reality?
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:43pm On Aug 16, 2016
mhiztee:
Satan lives on heart so is easy for him to manipulate man and his a very wise
meaning Yahweh placed Satan on every one heart?
What does good have do with bad?
Same sh*t! Meaning he took order from above
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 9:52pm On Aug 16, 2016
Goodnight people! Thread closed!
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by kilo4sure: 9:54pm On Aug 16, 2016
I do not understand how you conclude from what he/she said that yahweh created a veil or he placed Satan in everyone's heart.
You said you are here to learn, but the last few questions you have asked seem to spark of insincerity on your part.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
I can't correct your school of thought even though I tried but I have to rest my case at this moment may God help us
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
I was right when I discerned that the OP was not here to learn nor was he on the verge or any decision.

He opened this thread to carry out a comparison between Christianity and another "form" of Christianity. More like God and "another" kind of God whose foundation and school of thought I already foreknew.

Muafrika2 and kilo4sure you need to discern thi guy like I did which was why I asked him the questions I did earlier.

Don't always be in a hurry to refute or dialogue with anyone. Let the spirit of God guide you or else you will end up in mockery disguised as an argument or in blasphemy disguised as curiousity.
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by mhiztee: 9:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
I can't correct your school of thought even though I tried but I have to rest my case at this moment may God help us Amen
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by hopefulLandlord: 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2016
kilo4sure:
I do not understand how you conclude from what he/she said that yahweh created a veil or he placed Satan in everyone's heart.
You said you are here to learn, but the last few questions you have asked seem to spark of insincerity on your part.

Let me ask you personally

Why do you guys quote a certain bible verse in the old testament to condemn an act but when few verses away shows a certain thing it also condemns but you do them anyways and when that is pointed out, you guys be like "we are under new covenant"?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by kilo4sure: 10:16pm On Aug 16, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Let me ask you personally

Why do you guys quote a certain bible verse in the old testament to condemn an act but when few verses away shows a certain thing it also condemns but you do them anyways and when that is pointed out, you guys be like "we are under new covenant"?
Example You must however understand that the context of the mosaic laws was for a theocracy. Hence there are civic, ritual and moral laws. For example the physical punishment of sins were the guidelines for Israel, also celebration of passover and other temple rites cannot be practiced today without the Jewish physical temple since we have become the temple of God. Also Christ tells us his death signifies the passover for which we celebrate with bread and wine.
So the spirit of the law remains, especially the moral commandments which Jesus came to heighten.
Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old. Matthew 13v52
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 10:36pm On Aug 16, 2016
4everGod:
I was right when I discerned that the OP was not here to learn nor was he on the verge or any decision.

He opened this thread to carry out a comparison between Christianity and another "form" of Christianity. More like God and "another" kind of God whose foundation and school of thought I already foreknew.

Muafrika2 and kilo4sure you need to discern thi guy like I did which was why I asked him the questions I did earlier.

Don't always be in a hurry to refute or dialogue with anyone. Let the spirit of God guide you or else you will end up in mockery disguised as an argument or in blasphemy disguised as curiousity.

keep calm bro, you are believing on in a book you fear to question. I'm living in reality. And doesn't one learn during arguments? You think sey I log out abi
Re: Do Christianity Have Anything To Do With The Old Testament? by 01Mysticdon(m): 10:38pm On Aug 16, 2016
kilo4sure:
insincerity in challenging someone to prove something?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Babylon The Great Is Jerusalem,not America / God Did Not Create Good And Evil / The Case Against God By George Smith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.