Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,883 members, 7,798,955 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:50 PM

Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again (2620 Views)

Manchester United Reacts To Arsene Wenger Leaving Arsenal / Based On Logistics, Arsene Wenger Must Go. / Arsene Wenger Must Go. Only To Gunners Fan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 9:36pm On Aug 16, 2016
With Arsenal once again starting the season in the worst possible way - a 4-3 home defeat to Liverpool - and morale at its lowest in recent memory, Arsene Wenger is rightly under pressure. Usually calm and collected, he looked visibly down in his post-match interview with Sky Sports.
Whilst it would be easy to feel sorry for Wenger, it must be remembered that most of Arsenal's problems are seemingly of their own making, with the club yet to splash their cash on the striker and centre-back that every man and his football-inclined dog knows they so desperately need. With Wenger so good at making excuses, here is a list of ten things he must never be allowed to say again.

1. "THERE WAS NO 'TOP QUALITY' AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET"

Arsene Wenger has always insisted that he will only sign top-quality players who will improve his team. Nothing wrong with that in itself, if the reality in any way matched up. Not only have Arsenal signed some blatently not top-quality players in recent years - see Yaya Sanogo, Chu-Young Park, Kim Kallstrom, Marouane Chamakh, and the list goes on - but they have sat idly by, claiming no one is available, while other clubs snatch up top talent. Next time Arsene Wenger tries to kid you into thinking quality players are not on the market, ask yourself how all the other top clubs seem able to sign players. What he probably means is that there were no world-class players available for the "sensible" (read: small; suitable five years ago) fee he was willing to pay. Totally unacceptable.

2. "IT IS DIFFICULT TO SIGN PLAYERS TOWARDS THE END OF THE WINDOW"

No doubt this is true. As the closing of the transfer window approaches, clubs become less and less willing to let their players go, knowing they have little chance of finding replacements at such a late stage. When players do move at this stage, it is often at an inflated price to compensate for this. However, nothing has stopped Wenger doing his transfer business early in the window. He brought in Granit Xhaka nice and early, but then stopped when it really mattered. This year his excuse was the Euros, but every year there's something, and when he is asked about transfer plans his answer is always that Arsenal are looking, that Arsenal are active in the window, and that the last week of the window is often the busiest - implying he feels that the end of the window is actually the correct time to push for signings. But then if that doesn't work out, it's because the end of the window is too difficult. Make up your mind, Arsene. It's also worth remembering that the transfer window may still be open, but the season has actually already begun, and there will be a fair few games to play before the window shuts - and a fair few points that can be won or lost while your team are dithering in the market.
Which takes us nicely on to the next point...

3. "THE TRANSFER WINDOW SHOULD CLOSE BEFORE THE SEASON BEGINS"

This is quite simple really. He may well have a point. But it's totally, completely, irrefutably irrelevant. As it stands, the window stays open until (usually) the end of August. Deal with it - everyone else does.

4. "WE CANNOT COMPETE FINANCIALLY WITH THE BIG CLUBS"

Rubbish. Arsenal are widely-regarded as one of the most cash-rich clubs on the planet. The Gunners moved their home to the Emirates Stadium in 2006 in order to be able to compete financially with the big boys - a point always stressed in the past by the club's CEO, Ivan Gazidis, who has insisted that Arsenal can now compete financially with the world's biggest clubs. With Arsenal's huge match-day revenue (more than any other club in world football), their sponsorship deals, and now their share of the enormous new Premier League TV rights, the club are awash with money. That doesn't mean they have to spend £150 million every summer, but they can certainly spend £100 million this summer, should they choose to. If they don't, it's not because they cannot compete financially, it's because they won't.

5. PLAYERS RETURNING FROM INJURY ARE "LIKE NEW SIGNINGS"

No, they're not. For every one player returning from injury, another has just got injured, and so it begins again. Arsenal are in dire need of new signings, not old signings long-forgotten. Let returning players be a bonus; the icing on the cake - not the cake itself.

6. "WE ARE NOT QUITE READY FOR THE SEASON"

Sorry, what? Is it not Wenger's job to make sure the team are ready for the season when the season actually begins? As mentioned in point 2, the season is already upon us and Arsenal have already dropped their first three points. Stating "We are not ready physically" (as he did, after the 4-3 loss) is totally unacceptable - especially considering just one week earlier he specifically said "Physically, we look ready". Awful excuse that will do nothing to appease fans.

7. ANYTHING ABOUT "MENTAL STRENGTH"

No. Just no. Wenger has been talking about Arsenal's apparent abundance of mental strength for the last ten years, with virtually nothing to show for it. Sorry, Arsene, there is no trophy for mental strength, and the fans don't want to hear it anymore. Go out and win the matches - that's all the proof of strength, mental or otherwise, you need. Losing a match and talking about mental strength as a positive might be true when it happens once or twice; when it's predictable as clockwork, it loses all meaning.

8. "JUDGE ME AT THE END OF THE SEASON"

On paper this is a fair statement. However, Wenger has found a way to exploit it almost as if it's a loophole. At no stage does there seem to be any accountability. When the end of the season does arrive, and Arsenal have once again failed to win major honours, Arsene makes his excuses, says something about mental strength, insists that Arsenal will strengthen where they need to (if they can find top-quality, of course), and will come back stronger next season. Then the transfer window opens, and fans wait for the big names to start flowing in as promised, and when that doesn't happen Arsene says they need to be patient because Arsenal are active and looking, and the last week of the window is often the busiest. Then the window closes, and no one major has signed, and Arsene defends himself against the onslaught coming at him by telling them to judge him at the end of the season. See? Loophole.

9. "I NEARLY SIGNED [INSERT NAME OF WORLD-CLASS PLAYER]"

No one cares! It might have been interesting the first or second time, maybe even the third and fourth, but does Wenger really think the fans still want to hear that practically every one of the world's top players nearly signed for Arsenal, while in the mean time fans are desperate to see any actual signings materialise?
10. "LITTLE BIT"

Just because.

Source
https://realsport101.com/news/sports/football/opinion/top-10-things-arsene-wenger-must-never-say-again

Add yours

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by faaz24: 9:41pm On Aug 16, 2016
Unfortunately Wenger will still repeat them.

The guy has lost it completely

2 Likes

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by distinguished1(m): 10:01pm On Aug 16, 2016
Stopped supporting Arsenal the day I found neither Henry, nor Kanu on the team list. My brother continued. They get one stainless steel trophy in preseason then an avalanche of heartbreak each weekend.
I now support kano pillars.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Edwardhead(m): 10:40pm On Aug 16, 2016
I'm not arsenal fan
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Blessedgurl(f): 4:21am On Aug 17, 2016
I have a dream that one day Arsenal will rise up again.

I simply hope Wenger doesn't lose Diamonds (Ozil, Elneny, Kos, Sanchez, etc) while trying to protect stones (Ramsey, Giroud & Chambers). #Wengerout
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Fkforyou(m): 2:22pm On Aug 17, 2016
Arsene Wenger and Excuses .....

4 Likes

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2016
faaz24:
Unfortunately Wenger will still repeat them.

The guy has lost it completely

I pray he doesn't o. Seriously.
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
distinguished1:
Stopped supporting Arsenal the day I found neither Henry, nor Kanu on the team list. My brother continued. They get one stainless steel trophy in preseason then an avalanche of heartbreak each weekend.
I now support kano pillars.

Hehehehe
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:12pm On Aug 17, 2016
Blessedgurl:
I have a dream that one day Arsenal will rise up again.

I simply hope Wenger doesn't lose Diamonds (Ozil, Elneny, Kos, Sanchez, etc) while trying to protect stones (Ramsey, Giroud & Chambers). #Wengerout

Ozil and Sanchez not interested with contract extension at the moment. I understand. I pray they don't leave though.
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2016
Kikiology ichommy mukina2 holluwai omooba77 slap1

Comments pls
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
Aminat508 dunkem21 ritababe suzan404 fresia01 greenbullet iamkingzlee ogaalfa jarus deeplow icanwork caslord

Your comments, fellow Guns
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by dunkem21(m): 6:23pm On Aug 17, 2016
Lero15:
Aminat508 dunkem21 ritababe suzan404 fresia01 greenbullet iamkingzlee ogaalfa jarus deeplow icanwork caslord

Your comments, fellow Guns

Arsene Wenger dey vex me joor angry
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by holluwai(m): 6:26pm On Aug 17, 2016
He shouldn't bother saying anything. He should save it or shove it down his throat but one thing he should do is please retire and let someone else manage the club. Simple!
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by ritababe(f): 6:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
Wenger no be person joor. if he's in naija I for don bullet am
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
holluwai:
He shouldn't bother saying anything. He should save it or shove it down his throat but one thing he should do is please retire and let someone else manage the club. Simple!

If we wanna play maybe real Madrid, he would say he almost bought Ronaldo or Benzema... If it's Barca he almost bought Ronaldinho then.

Why didn't he buy them chai.

Tomjazzy Gunner oya come o
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:32pm On Aug 17, 2016
ritababe:
Wenger no be person joor.
if he's in naija I for don bullet am
LOL.

Mustafi has been in the news for about a month. The old man no wan spend!!!
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
dunkem21:

Pele. Me too
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by deeplow: 7:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
Who watches Arsenal with their heart these days? I, most certainly do not. New season, old problems. I just watch because I enjoy watching them, I expect nothing from them.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 17, 2016
angryI don leave arsenal.....I don port to man utd,,arsenal dey vex me
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by ritababe(f): 7:29pm On Aug 17, 2016
Lero15:

LOL.

Mustafi has been in the news for about a month. The old man no wan spend!!!

na striker I they find no be defender
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by slap1(m): 8:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
ritababe:

Babe we need both na.

Back to the topic:

"The target, for us, is to finish as high as we can..." undecided

Oga we want trophies. angry
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by ichommy(m): 8:45pm On Aug 17, 2016
lero15, I just dey vex here.

Waiting for #Wengerout

Of course there are reasons for Arsenal fans to be unhappy right now, not least of which is that we find ourselves level at the bottom of the Premier League on points with the likes of Bournemouth, Burnley and Sunderland.

And just to make the opening weekend´s misery complete, we had to see our EPL rivals Chelsea, Man City and United all record wins.

That puts Arsene Wenger and the players under pressure and on the back foot straight away, especially with the manager´s transfer policy giving exasperated Gooners a good reason to show our frustration.

But enough negativity for now, because there are reasons for us to not take this early setback too badly.

For one thing, we did score three goals in the match and only lost by the odd goal against a Liverpool side that produced some very good attacking football.

We always knew that this opening match was going to be tough, with key players missing and with both ends of the pitch seriously weakened.

When we go to Leicester next week and as the season progresses Wenger will be able to call on Ozil, Giroud and Koscielny and that will make us a lot stronger.

So just because Arsenal were not at their best against Liverpool there is no need to panic just yet.

And we will not always have the rough side of luck, just as Chelsea, United and City will not always have the good luck that helped them win their games. City got an own goal, United were fortunate for their first two goals and last night Costa should definitely have been sent off before being able to score the late winner.

Yes it looks bad for us right now but it was just one game and the Gunners have shown many times in the past the strength of character and ability to respond well to adversity. Let´s give them a chance shall we?

cc aminat508 abodunrin07

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 10:04pm On Aug 17, 2016
deeplow:
Who watches Arsenal with their heart these days? I, most certainly do not. New season, old problems. I just watch because I enjoy watching them, I expect nothing from them.

Humm... I'm gradually turning to this. Though I don't want that.
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 10:14pm On Aug 17, 2016
suzan404:
angryI don leave arsenal.....I don port to man utd,,arsenal dey vex me

Awwww cry
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 10:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
ritababe:

Sis, we need a defender too o. Holding plus Chambers is calamity... Esp Chambers
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 10:36pm On Aug 17, 2016
@ ichommy, we'll said bro...

I just hope a defender and striker will come in.

Wenger keeps hammering on quality buys, yet they are being bought by other clubs right under his nose.

I hope we won't settle for a Chamack and Squillaci at the end sad
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
Lero15:

Awwww cry
embarassed
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Greenbullet(m): 1:38pm On Aug 21, 2016
dunkem21:

am not in a good mood.
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by dunkem21(m): 1:44pm On Aug 21, 2016
Greenbullet:
am not in a good mood.

cheesy. .. You never hear say I don port go West ham courtesy of Ifeanyi Ubah.

Sorry o grin
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 9:34pm On Aug 21, 2016
dunkem21:

Sorry o grin
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Lero15(m): 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
Just gimme a good Def and a striker!!!!!

That's all sad angry
Re: Top Ten Things Arsene Wenger Must Never Say Again by Greenbullet(m): 12:06am On Aug 23, 2016
dunkem21:

Sorry o grin
am so angry with our performance and transfer activity,I have been an arsenal fan since forever and I just tired ,I don't even want to buy our new jersey self.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Libya, 2019 AFCON Qualifier / Not confirmed / Nigeria Online Football Betting Site What Do You Think? Cool Or Not Cool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.