Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,213 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:07 AM

District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians (3328 Views)

NCIS Season 9 Is The Last Season, Right? / Daniel Craig Is An Insult To The James Bond Persona / Depiction Of Nigerians In "District 9" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 9:24am On Sep 27, 2009
At last the Nigerian Government has come out in defense of Nigerians by banning District 9. This has clearly vindicated what I have been saying all along, about what othert people think about Nigerians.

When I first talked about prostitution in Edo State, I was insulted and called all sorts of names, even though I was not the originator of the story. And when I stated that South Africans did not think much about being Africans, I was not spared either. District Nine now shows what some people think. I am not one of these people

I love Nigerians. A look at the phonebook numbers in my six phones have 2,364 names. 872 are Nigerians. I have about 1000 friends on Facebook, and most of them are Nigerians. I do not hate Nigeria, as some have indicated.

It is interesting to note that District 9 is a hit in US of A, a country I have attacked, but which was defended by some Nigerians. I think the movie was a disgrace and in bad taste, and the Nigerian Government has done the right thing to ban it. But it should serve as a wake-up call to Nigerians. There are people who love you, and there are those who hate you. Better have a enemy who tells you the truth than a friend who lies to you
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 07, 2009
Better have a enemy who tells you the truth than a friend who lies to you

gbam
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by temodent(m): 7:26am On Oct 07, 2009
Hi there, can anyone tell me how I could get to see the movie District 9, since it is already a banned property in Nigeria. Thank you
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2009
District 9 is not worth watching. I have seen it and it is disgusting. All Africa should ban it. We are not cannibals
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by folly69(m): 10:37am On Oct 09, 2009
@Lipuka thanx for ur concern bout Naija bt wat is this movie actually about.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 8:48am On Oct 10, 2009
The movie is shot in South Africa, and potrays Nigerians as being involved in prostitution and cannibalism. I believe prostitution is a world wide problem and has been there for time immenorial. Cannibalism is no more in the modern world. And if it still does exist, I am not aware that Nigerians eat each other
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by cenzo(m): 6:14am On Oct 14, 2009
putting the nigerian thing to the side, the movie was just huff and good thing i didn't pay to watch it.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by africhika(f): 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2009
i thot the movie was fantastic. of course, there was a lot of political racism. but that's how it it.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2009
Movies can be used to both good and bad effect. They can be used to distort fact, This is the cas with District 9.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by maedan(f): 7:53am On Oct 16, 2009
Maybe it's just me and I'm easily put off, but that movie was useless!! Even before I got to the part with all the Nigerian slurs, I was already thinking, WT?? Anyway, like I said, sometimes I'm hard to please.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by semid4lyfe(m): 7:37am On Oct 17, 2009
That movie is boring, dry and a waste of time.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by yoji: 10:38am On Oct 17, 2009
i think some of u guys are overblowing the whole issue. its just a movie. and its just fiction. in america movies are released evry wk and while we are still whinig about that other movies hv since been released and district 9 forgotten. its just a figment of some psycho nerds imagination which was used by a hollywood studio to make some money thats all. there are movies which paints other nationalities evil. its jus a movie and its not like d american congress passed a vote to endorse the movie. we hav more pressin issues jare
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by cenzo(m): 2:20am On Oct 20, 2009
i can see how one would find it offensive, so you can't just dismiss folks saying they're blowing up something that is not. those complaining probably feel it's just perpetuating stereotypes and we all know folks are NOT that bright and even if it is a MOVIE of FICTION it's just like saying it's okay to make fun of those primitive savages in movies.

but my bottom line is that the movie was just garbage and wish the halo movie did come out instead of this basura
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by linkin8k(m): 5:00am On Oct 20, 2009
district 9 ??
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by finemocha(f): 6:17am On Oct 25, 2009
that movie was amaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. i dont particularly give a rats ass how they portrayed nigerians.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 12:41pm On Oct 26, 2009
Many people do not know much about Africa because of stereotypes. It is these movies which depict us as savages. That civilization actually started in Africa is not what they want tp believe. They want to continue telling us that we are savages. We should resist this
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by Owen2(m): 4:07pm On Oct 26, 2009
Nuff said!
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by linkin8k(m): 2:15am On Oct 27, 2009
Its this kinda stuff dat makes ppl really feel we are cannibals n live in a jungle. Most average white ppl think we swing from tree to tree with monkeys undecided. This movie has seriously damaged the country's image. angry angry angry
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by ExInferis(m): 8:02pm On Oct 27, 2009
D9 is a darn good movie, one of the very few "real" alien movies. sure, nigerians were portrayed in a less than stellar way. so? all sorts of people do get portrayed in unsavory ways; it doesnt mean thats how they are. anyone seen cannibal holocaust?

besides, really the things some nigerians do when abroad is demeaning, demumanizing, degrading, and downright unacceptable. this is fact.

ok, so nigerians are portrayed as prostitutes; arent some nigerian ladies prostituting in most of europe and south africa?

so nigerians are portrayed as blackmarket operators; arent some nigerians engaged in shady business activities, even here on the mothership?

so nigerians are portrayed as cannibals; arent we deliberately perpetuating that image when the bulk of our home videos are rife with rituals and occultic tendencies involving severed limbs, blood and gore, juju, and enough witchcraft and wizardy to shame Hogwarts? and we think its clever artform!

is south africa any less showing us what they think of us, as a reflection of what some of us do?

Arabs are constatntly handed down the shorter end of the hollywood stick when the myth of the global jihadist/terrorist is given the silver screen expose. it doesnt mean all arabs are terrorists, but some definitely are. but if you accept hollywood urban legends as fact, then its easy to surmise all arabs are baby killers.

and not all germans were nazis either. and not all jews are shysters though most of them are schmucks.

for long we've been entertained at the expense of others, now its our turn.

people, its just a movie, for crying out loud. if you believe the south african government and people actually do mean thats all we are, then you might as well believe in the movie's aliens. at least they are a damn sight more real.

you schmucks.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by linkin8k(m): 8:54pm On Oct 27, 2009
^^^^^^F**k u
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by morpheus24: 9:09pm On Oct 27, 2009
Ex Inferis:

D9 is a darn good movie, one of the very few "real" alien movies. sure, nigerians were portrayed in a less than stellar way. so? all sorts of people do get portrayed in unsavory ways; it doesnt mean thats how they are. anyone seen cannibal holocaust?

besides, really the things some nigerians do when abroad is demeaning, demumanizing, degrading, and downright unacceptable. this is fact.

ok, so nigerians are portrayed as prostitutes; arent some nigerian ladies prostituting in most of europe and south africa?

so nigerians are portrayed as blackmarket operators; arent some nigerians engaged in shady business activities, even here on the mothership?

so nigerians are portrayed as cannibals; arent we deliberately perpetuating that image when the bulk of our home videos are rife with rituals and occultic tendencies involving severed limbs, blood and gore, juju, and enough witchcraft and wizardy to shame Hogwarts? and we think its clever artform!

is south africa any less showing us what they think of us, as a reflection of what some of us do?

Arabs are constatntly handed down the shorter end of the hollywood stick when the myth of the global jihadist/terrorist is given the silver screen expose. it doesnt mean all arabs are terrorists, but some definitely are. but if you accept hollywood urban legends as fact, then its easy to surmise all arabs are baby killers.

and not all germans were nazis either. and not all jews are shysters though most of them are schmucks.

people, its just a movie, for crying out loud. if you believe the south african government and people actually do mean thats all we are, then you might as well believe in the movie's aliens. at least they are a damn sight more real.

you schmucks.

I guess everyone is entitled to their stupid opinions!

1 Like

Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by Nnenna1(f): 10:07pm On Oct 27, 2009
Ex Inferis:

you schmucks.

OMG. Masochists, we are.
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 10:29am On Oct 28, 2009
If the movie is good entertainment, then neither God nor Satan can help Africa
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by agathamari(f): 3:13pm On Nov 02, 2009
i am just not understanding the whole issue. it was a SA movie. they portrayed nigerians as prostitutes but remeber we had that PSA on tv her for months about beware the job offers in SA because they are really recruiting hookers. and the issue with the "canabal" from what i understand he ate the alien not another person so how is that a canabal? person eating a person or alien eating an alien is canabal person eating an alien is a carnivore. why is the moveis was writen, filmed and acted by SA how is it the US problem? just cause sony is a US conpany? Shoprite is a US company but the store here is part of the SA branch of the same company. if this store (lagos) messes up is the US (mother company) fault or the fault of the nigerians running this store? i just dont get it besides it a fantasy movie not real. its all blown out of proportion
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 10:37am On Nov 03, 2009
What we are talking about is the integrity of the African. We are not cannibals. And there are many prostitutes in the West, not just Africa
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by RSA(m): 1:43pm On Nov 03, 2009
Lipuka you are ass licking my brother,you starting to sound like a real slowpoke now,sharrap.Talk about masai or something or scratch your balls grin grin grin
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 12:21pm On Nov 05, 2009
You all know RSA is a cannobal and maybe has a prostitute as a relative somewhere
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by Crescentd(m): 10:39am On Nov 07, 2009
@ agathamari,

Just to correct you there. Shoprite is completely South African owned, it is not a US company.

http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/about-our-company/history.asp
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by lipuka(m): 3:43pm On Nov 07, 2009
Very true
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by hidemyip(m): 4:45pm On Nov 09, 2009
I wonder y all these fuss bout District 9, There is nothing they have said there that 1 of all these nigerian films have not said before or even worst. The film's COOL,
Re: District 9 Is An Insult To Nigerians by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 11, 2009
@poster, absolutely correct.i kno say naija bad but at least make dese producers use movies change dem foreigners dem mindset about us na, undecided
@hidemyip, kiloshee, u rily think so? embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celebrities Lol Pictures{joks} / Oldies: 24 Classic Indian Movies That Warmed Our Hearts Back In The Days / Among The 4 Who is The Best Swordsman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.