Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,535 members, 7,808,966 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? (4890 Views)

Great Men: Like Lincoln Like Awolowo / Buhari To Complete Zik Mausoleum / Like Awolowo Like Buhari: Heroes Of Same Vision & Character (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by AloyEmeka9: 4:19am On Sep 29, 2009
Rollcall on Tribalists: forgive me if i forgot your name

Igbo:

Udezue
Ikeymann0000
Nchara
Only truth

Yoruba:

Sjeezy88

Becomericher

Akingbemaru

Babapupa

Egwuofor

Billymuse

Tribalists in recess:
tpiah
Negro nation
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 4:21am On Sep 29, 2009
wey trophy?
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by AloyEmeka9: 4:22am On Sep 29, 2009
Ask Seun but you cannot even make the first 10 tribalists on nairaland, why worry?. Sjeezy and Ikeymann are the top contenders.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 4:38am On Sep 29, 2009
not eve cookie?

The way I see it, one mans tribalist is another man's passionate patriot and concerned citizen.

We sometimes use the tribalism label to deflect and circumvent facts.

1 Like

Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Nobody: 4:39am On Sep 29, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Rollcall on Tribalists: forgive me if i forgot your name

Igbo:
aloy emeka
Udezue
Ikeymann0000
Nchara
Only truth

Yoruba:

Sjeezy88

Becomericher

Akingbemaru

Babapupa

Egwuofor

Billymuse

Tribalists in recess:
tpiah
Negro nation

fixed.

Who died and made this joker a judge of others btw?
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by bawomolo(m): 4:41am On Sep 29, 2009
chic2pimp:

I tire ooooo ahn ahn kilode,ogini?

They need to start moving these threads to the racist and sectarianism section. their own too much
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by chic2pimp(m): 4:53am On Sep 29, 2009
bawomolo:

They need to start moving these threads to the racist and sectarianism section. their own too much
Yes ooo. Seun ought to create one sharp sharp.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Onlytruth(m): 6:07am On Sep 29, 2009
babapupa:

not eve cookie?

The way I see it, one mans tribalist is another man's passionate patriot and concerned citizen.

We sometimes use the tribalism label to deflect and circumvent facts.

Your intelligence almost rises to mine here grin grin
Bottomline is that you hit the nail on the head. Hate to agree with my sworn enemy. angry
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Dede1(m): 7:07pm On Sep 29, 2009
babapupa:

Your comments in this thread clearly tells me your country's history ain't your forte.

You even sound like an illiterate sef,

Let us for a moment deduced that you got it right once in your life time. I shall not even include doubts you have created about understanding meaning or definition of the word; illiterate.

However, I shall beg your indulgence in educating me on the history of Nigeria with references to the several independent and constitutional conferences where Awo solemnly requested Azik to team up with him and declare independence when the North was stalling and saying they weren't ready.

I guess your sorry ass should realize that such request would come as a motion tendered by Awo in such discuss. I am stating unequivocally that there was never such motion credited to Awo. My advice to a dunce such as you is that digging for facts is a better mental exercise than leaping to wrong conclusion based on innuendos.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Dede1(m): 7:43pm On Sep 29, 2009
becomrich,:

zik removed Eyo Ita , go and read your history. Eyo ita and his people now formed National Independence Party.

Awo was not a tribalitic person. He just believe in the rule of law. And the other ethnics group some believe in cheating. even the satellite picture shows awo was right and they were all wrong.

Look Obasanjo and awolowo are from the same state and never get along, even abiola was never awolowo friend. but they are all yorubas. it is an issue with principle and awolowo was a principle man. I can tell you this Obasanjo and abiola can bend the rule. No awo. It was difficult for awo to change his mind on issue because most of awolowo decision were not made by awolowo, but by his religious believe.

I am not surprise at your post because many Nigerians dwell on innuendos and tend to exhibit laziness in seeking out facts. However, dude, you are suffering from brain deficiency.

It is unfortunate that Nigeria has more than its share of individuals inflicted with such decease hence the backwardness of Nigeria as functional country.

Pal, I suggest you get your facts first, and then you can distort them as you please.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 8:42pm On Sep 29, 2009

Let us for a moment deduced that you got it right once in your life time. I shall not even include doubts you have created about understanding meaning or definition of the word; illiterate.

However, I shall beg your indulgence in educating me on the history of Nigeria with references to the several independent and constitutional conferences where Awo solemnly requested Azik to team up with him and declare independence when the North was stalling and saying they weren't ready.

I guess your sorry ass should realize that such request would come as a motion tendered by Awo in such discuss. I am stating unequivocally that there was never such motion credited to Awo. My advice to a dunce such as you is that digging for facts is a better mental exercise than leaping to wrong conclusion based on innuendos.

Unfortunately for you, it's absolutely impossible to substitute ignorance, empty bravado , lack of intellectual curiosity and share literacy with facts and intelligence.

Your dumb ass should have kept quiet and assume the dumb and clueless position with pride.

biafranigeriaworld.com

The 1954 Western Elections - which was won by the NCNC under Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe ("Zik.’). But after a meeting of the Egbe Omo Oduduwa, several Yoruba NCNC legislators suddenly "crossed carpet" to the Action Group (AG) under Chief Obafemi Awolowo, thereby effectively preventing Zik from becoming the first premier of Western Nigeria. Hurt and dejected, Zik returned to the East, where he promptly displaced Prof. Eyo Ita from the premiership of the region. This helped fuel the anger and disloyalty of the eastern minority elements, who soon organized to demand the creation of a COR state. This was the beginning of tribalism in Nigerian politics.

The 1959 Federal Elections - in which none of the three major parties (NPC, NCNC and AG) won a clear majority, but the NPC had the most seats, followed by the NCNC. To prevent the northerners (a.k.a. the NPC) from having the first shot at the prime Ministership of Nigeria with so much executive power concentrated there, Awo proposed that the NCNC (i.e. the Igbos) and the AG (i.e. the Yorubas) should form a coalition so as to have the first shot at ruling at the center. But Zik, still pe eved at what happened to him in 1954, would not have anything to do with Awo. Instead he teamed up with the NPC to form the first Federal government of an independent Nigeria on October 1 1960. Thus, the Igbos became the junior partner in a Federal govern ment where they would have been the senior partner had Zik agreed to a coalition with the Yorubas.

[url]http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:G8FiLE4wCcYJ:messageboard.biafranigeriaworld.com/ultimatebb.cgi%3Fubb%3Dprint_topic%3Bf%3D1%3Bt%3D001745+zik+Nigeria+Independence+was+delayed+until+1960.&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a[/url]

"A LETTER TO THE NDIGBO: Cutting Our Nose to Spite Our Face" in Nigerian Times International, January 16-31, 1996

By Chief Eke Urum-Eke[/b

Again, when the British Colonial Government tempted the appetite of the Nigerian political leadership with the offer of quasi-independence, through full blown regional autonomy in 1957, Northern Nigeria, led by the Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) took the position that the North was not ready for that level of political and economic independence. [b]The Western Region, led by Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s Action Group (AG) promptly declared its readiness to accept the offer. It was the Igbo-led NCNC that held the balance.
It was an issue that could make or break Nigeria if the three regions chose to go their separate ways to Independence.

The NCNC leader, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe took the stand that although the Eastern Region was ready to assume the responsibilities of Regional Independence, its attainment without the North would lead, in his own words, to the “Balkanization of the Nigerian Nation” and conceivably a break-up of the country. The Eastern Region would rather suppress its appetite for Independence and the obvious gains it would entail until the Northern Region was ready. That was how Nigerian Independence was delayed until 1960. In short, the Igbo-led Eastern Region would rather forgo the advancement of its own political and economic interests than risk the break-up of Nigeria. Similarly, when Zik moved to the Federal scene as Governor General and later titular President of Nigeria, the NCNC, under the leadership of Dr. Michael Okpara, of blessed memory, continued faithfully in Zik’s giant and indelible foot steps, the political bridge-building and nation building enterprise of the Igbo.

The state of the Nation
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu "HERO"

the Igbo-led NCNC shunned the attraction of being the senior partner in an East-West Alliance with Chief Awolowo’s Action Group (AG) and chose to team up instead with Sir Ahmadu Bello’s Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) in order to consolidate the frail and insipid attachment of a wary and sceptical North to Southern Nigeria.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:_5tj0F4hkpoJ:te-in.facebook.com/topic.php%3Fuid%3D9726722412%26topic%3D6586+The+north+was+not+ready+for+independence+awolowo&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by asha80(m): 8:49pm On Sep 29, 2009
More reason why you see quite a number of igbos who view Azikiwe as a hopeless nationalist.However your article says Azikiwe was still peeved at what happened to him in 1954 when Awo came with the coalition proposal.

I guess it was a case of once bitten twice shy.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2009
Actually, zik's action wasn't rational and thought trough. Personally, Awo didn't  wrong zik in any way, other folks within the region did by Cross carpeting to Awo's AG Party.

Awo and Zik were the main brains in the south and by extension the most sophisticated political minds in Nigeria. Awo did the right thing by going to Zik because he saw what Zik didn't see or failed to see, same thing a lot of our current leaders in the south are still not seeing and incapable of seeing.

You can not do business with Hausa folks and progress, Awo saw this and reached out to Zik and zik should have ignored the '54 mess and pay attention to the bigger picture. Unfortunately, he did not, he knowingly went with the hausa folks for personal reasons because it was obvious he wasn't getting nothing but a junior partnership roll for his effort by messing with the North. He basically advanced the Northern agenda because the Hausa folks were playing for keeps, that same agenda is still killing us as a Nation.

The North is a major and solid block against divided south and they've been using the most effective ruling tool (Divide and rule) in the world against us. Unfortunately, we still haven't learnt our lesson.

What if Zik had set aside his pride and formed an alliance with Awo?
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by asha80(m): 9:42pm On Sep 29, 2009
I am not sure what would have happened but i still maintain what i said earlier here

asha 80:

Azikiwe was a hopeless nationalist.I guess being an igbo born in the north(zungeru) and growing in lagos gave him a false sense of nationalism.

However you also know Awo had a chance to remove the west from nigeria but did not seem to do so ala 1967.The excuse i keep getting for that action was that Hausa military personel where much in lagos.

Hoewever i keep asking what if Awo decided to break the west from nigeria(whether there was agreement with Ojukwu is immaterial to me) would the north have faced the east and the west at the same time?Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by AndreUweh(m): 10:03pm On Sep 29, 2009
BICOMERICH
For your notice, Azikiwe was a proud Igbo man till death. He was merely quoting what his illiterate grandmother told him. Yorubas claim their progenitors come from Mecca and Egypt. Does it mean that Yoruba's are Egyptians or Arabians?. Please stop derailing topics.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Dede1(m): 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2009
babapupa:

Unfortunately for you, it's absolutely impossible to substitute ignorance, empty bravado , lack of intellectual curiosity and share literacy with facts and intelligence.

Your dumb ass should have kept quiet and assume the dumb and clueless position with pride.

biafranigeriaworld.com

The 1954 Western Elections - which was won by the NCNC under Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe ("Zik.’). But after a meeting of the Egbe Omo Oduduwa, several Yoruba NCNC legislators suddenly "crossed carpet" to the Action Group (AG) under Chief Obafemi Awolowo, thereby effectively preventing Zik from becoming the first premier of Western Nigeria. Hurt and dejected, Zik returned to the East, where he promptly displaced Prof. Eyo Ita from the premiership of the region. This helped fuel the anger and disloyalty of the eastern minority elements, who soon organized to demand the creation of a COR state. This was the beginning of tribalism in Nigerian politics.

The 1959 Federal Elections - in which none of the three major parties (NPC, NCNC and AG) won a clear majority, but the NPC had the most seats, followed by the NCNC. To prevent the northerners (a.k.a. the NPC) from having the first shot at the prime Ministership of Nigeria with so much executive power concentrated there, Awo proposed that the NCNC (i.e. the Igbos) and the AG (i.e. the Yorubas) should form a coalition so as to have the first shot at ruling at the center. But Zik, still pe eved at what happened to him in 1954, would not have anything to do with Awo. Instead he teamed up with the NPC to form the first Federal government of an independent Nigeria on October 1 1960. Thus, the Igbos became the junior partner in a Federal govern ment where they would have been the senior partner had Zik agreed to a coalition with the Yorubas.

[url]http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:G8FiLE4wCcYJ:messageboard.biafranigeriaworld.com/ultimatebb.cgi%3Fubb%3Dprint_topic%3Bf%3D1%3Bt%3D001745+zik+Nigeria+Independence+was+delayed+until+1960.&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a[/url]

"A LETTER TO THE NDIGBO: Cutting Our Nose to Spite Our Face" in Nigerian Times International, January 16-31, 1996

By Chief Eke Urum-Eke[/b

Again, when the British Colonial Government tempted the appetite of the Nigerian political leadership with the offer of quasi-independence, through full blown regional autonomy in 1957, Northern Nigeria, led by the Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) took the position that the North was not ready for that level of political and economic independence. [b]The Western Region, led by Chief Obafemi Awolowo’s Action Group (AG) promptly declared its readiness to accept the offer. It was the Igbo-led NCNC that held the balance.
It was an issue that could make or break Nigeria if the three regions chose to go their separate ways to Independence.

The NCNC leader, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe took the stand that although the Eastern Region was ready to assume the responsibilities of Regional Independence, its attainment without the North would lead, in his own words, to the “Balkanization of the Nigerian Nation” and conceivably a break-up of the country. The Eastern Region would rather suppress its appetite for Independence and the obvious gains it would entail until the Northern Region was ready. That was how Nigerian Independence was delayed until 1960. In short, the Igbo-led Eastern Region would rather forgo the advancement of its own political and economic interests than risk the break-up of Nigeria. Similarly, when Zik moved to the Federal scene as Governor General and later titular President of Nigeria, the NCNC, under the leadership of Dr. Michael Okpara, of blessed memory, continued faithfully in Zik’s giant and indelible foot steps, the political bridge-building and nation building enterprise of the Igbo.

The state of the Nation
Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu "HERO"

the Igbo-led NCNC shunned the attraction of being the senior partner in an East-West Alliance with Chief Awolowo’s Action Group (AG) and chose to team up instead with Sir Ahmadu Bello’s Northern Peoples Congress (NPC) in order to consolidate the frail and insipid attachment of a wary and sceptical North to Southern Nigeria.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:_5tj0F4hkpoJ:te-in.facebook.com/topic.php%3Fuid%3D9726722412%26topic%3D6586+The+north+was+not+ready+for+independence+awolowo&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

The sources you posted as the official document that spurred your idiocy to announce that Zik did not team up with Awo clearly showed that you are most moronic idiot. A slowpoke such as could have posted this crap you have submitted as evidence of Zik not teaming up with Awo. I would not even try to educate you because you are lazy fool who lacked courage to read beyond the pages posted by other morons.

There were 1951 regional election and 1954 federal election. In the 1954 federal election, NCNC defeated AG in western regional pools by 23 to 18 elected members to federal house of representative. The carpet-crossing saga alluded in the post you copied from a fellow slowpoke took place after regional election in which NCNC trounced AG. During the 1954 constitutional conference to cede regional authority to the regions saw a break in alliance between Awo and Azik. It was over the status of Lagos as an autonomous entity instead of a territory of western region.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 12:19am On Sep 30, 2009
You're trying sha, @ least you pulled some disjointed rubbish out of your ass.

Why I'm even messing with this olodo pavement head?

1 Like

Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by MrCrackles(m): 12:20am On Sep 30, 2009
Topic
I cant comment. . . .I am too young! grin
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by bibiking1(m): 12:22am On Sep 30, 2009
@all
why did we even push for independence when we obviously could not handle it?
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by AfroCynic: 12:59am On Sep 30, 2009
Call it naivete or whatever but I am convinced that the Igbos and the Yorubas are natural allies,

1 Like

Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Dede1(m): 2:19am On Sep 30, 2009
babapupa:

You're trying sha, @ least you pulled some disjointed rubbish out of your ass.

Why I'm even messing with this olodo pavement head?

A deluded monkey such as could not even discern from the article you copied and posted was not referring to the regional independence as regions becoming independent sovereign nations.

But it was intended to cede autonomous powers to regions so as to conduct the affairs of the regions independent of the government at the center. However, by the time the 1954 constitutional conference was concluded, the attendees had agreed on the principles of devolution of powers between central and regional government hence federalism.

I suggest that a latent idiot such as you should endeavor to read beyond tribal line about Nigerian politics. Anyway, advising a fool is like beating the air with a stick.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by felele(m): 2:30am On Sep 30, 2009
babapupa:

Actually, zik's action wasn't rational and thought trough. Personally, Awo didn't  wrong zik in any way, other folks within the region did by Cross carpeting to Awo's AG Party.

Awo and Zik were the main brains in the south and by extension the most sophisticated political minds in Nigeria. Awo did the right thing by going to Zik because he saw what Zik didn't see or failed to see, same thing a lot of our current leaders in the south are still not seeing and incapable of seeing.

You can not do business with Hausa folks and progress, Awo saw this and reached out to Zik and zik should have ignored the '54 mess and pay attention to the bigger picture. Unfortunately, he did not, he knowingly went with the hausa folks for personal reasons because it was obvious he wasn't getting nothing but a junior partnership roll for his effort by messing with the North. He basically advanced the Northern agenda because the Hausa folks were playing for keeps, that same agenda is still killing us as a Nation.

The North is a major and solid block against divided south and they've been using the most effective ruling tool (Divide and rule) in the world against us. Unfortunately, we still haven't learnt our lesson.

What if Zik had set aside his pride and formed an alliance with Awo?

What if I told you that Zik did not make that choice to go with the North willingly? What if I told you that documents have recently come to light that show that Zik was being blackrmailed by the British since at least 1956 with the threat of jail for stealing money from ACB (African Continental Bank) for his party?

What if I told you that NCNC won the elections of 1959 into the Federal Parliament What if I told you that this same Zik should have been Prime Minister instead of the ceremonial President he became, but he had to let the British rig the election, the population figures and accept the office for fear of going to jail?

Read this and more: http://http://www.libertas.demon.co.uk/autobio.htm#
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 3:19am On Sep 30, 2009
A deluded monkey such as could not even discern from the article you copied and posted was not referring to the regional independence as regions becoming independent sovereign nations.

But it was intended to cede autonomous powers to regions so as to conduct the affairs of the regions independent of the government at the center. However, by the time the 1954 constitutional conference was concluded, the attendees had agreed on the principles of devolution of powers between central and regional government hence federalism.

I suggest that a latent idiot such as you should endeavor to read beyond tribal line about Nigerian politics. Anyway, advising a fool is like beating the air with a stick.

stop posting all these gibberish nonsense because they are of no value to me, try look for some 2nd grade kids to share your scrap notes with.

no be by force.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 3:23am On Sep 30, 2009
What if I told you that Zik did not make that choice to go with the North willingly? What if I told you that documents have recently come to light that show that Zik was being blackrmailed by the British since at least 1956 with the threat of jail for stealing money from ACB (African Continental Bank) for his party?

What if I told you that NCNC won the elections of 1959 into the Federal Parliament What if I told you that this same Zik should have been Prime Minister instead of the ceremonial President he became, but he had to let the British rig the election, the population figures and accept the office for fear of going to jail?

Read this and more: http://http://www.libertas.demon.co.uk/autobio.htm#

Sounds interesting but your link dey bogus, fix am make we discuss further,
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by banom(m): 4:54pm On Sep 30, 2009
becoomrich:

I have to come in now. you are wrong. In the 1951 election.

For the record of history. here are the names of those who won the election and thier parties

There were a total of 80 seat to win. The action group lead by chief obafemi awolowo won 38 seat , while the NCNC won 25, IPP 6,  Ondo Improvement League[b] 2,[/b] Otu Edo candidates 3

Sorry how is the addition of 38 +25++6+2+3 make up 80 ?

becoomrich:

Action Group that won

Ijebu Remo – Obafemi Awolowo and M.S. Sowole; Ijebu Ode – Rev. SA Banjo and S.O. Awokoya; Oyo – Bode Thomas, Abiodun Akerele, ABP Thomas, TA Amao and SB Eyitayo; Osun – S.L. Akintola, J.O. Adigun, JA Oroge, S.I. Ogunwale, I.A. Adejare, J.A. Ogunmuyiwa and S.O. Ola.

Egba – J.F. Odunjo, Alhaji AT Ahmed, Rev. S.A. Daramola and Prince Adedamola; Egbado (now Yewa) – J.A.O. Odebiyi, D.A. Fafunmi and A. Akin Illo; Ekiti – E.A. Babalola and Rev. J. Ade-Ajayi; Badagry – Chief CD Akran and Rev. G.M. Fisher; Ikeja – SO Gbadamosi and O Akeredolu-Ale; Ife – Rev. SA Adeyefa and SO Olagbaju; Owo – AO Ogedengbe and RA Olusa; Epe – Safi Lawal Edu; Okitipupa – C.A. Tewe; Western Ijaw – M.F. Agidee; Ishan – Anthony Enahoro, and Warri – Arthur Prest.

The action group only needed 2 more seat to become majority in the house.  

Three card carry members of action Adegbenro, Osuntokun and Hassan ran as independents candidate. The all won and voted for action group while Chief Akinloye lead IPP four members cross over to the Action group

AMA Akinloye, Chief DT Akinbiyi ,Chief SO Lanlehin, Moyosore Aboderin and SA Akinyemi,

The only members of the NCNC that cross carpet were
were: Chief SY Kesington-Momoh( auchi),  JG Ako(Urhobo), and Awodi Orisaremi

Why boring someones afternoon with names of all these obituaries ?
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by bandely(m): 5:19pm On Sep 30, 2009
Though I'm too young.

But I have being reading some books.

But saying Awo is tribalistic and Zik is not is not something right.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by banom(m): 6:35pm On Sep 30, 2009
bandely:

Though I'm too young.

But I have being reading some books.

But saying Awo is tribalistic and Zik is not is not something right.

Being tribalistic does not necessarily mean you are evil,it means you think and act for the interest of your tribe first.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by chic2pimp(m): 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

Being tribalistic racist does not necessarily mean you are evil,it means you think and act for the interest of your triberace first.
Would you agree with this statement? undecided
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by banom(m): 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2009
chic2pimp:

Would you agree with this statement? undecided

I was only trying to stress its grammatical meaning,and not any context it is expressed for.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by bandely(m): 7:04pm On Sep 30, 2009
banom:

Being tribalistic does not necessarily mean you are evil,it means you think and act for the interest of your tribe first.
Well, Zik was tribalistic too, Tomorrow, I'll try and check my book and quote some of his words and doing.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by Dede1(m): 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2009
becoomrich:

I have to come in now. you are wrong. In the 1951 election.

Awolowo party won and not NCNC.
it is only people trying to manipulate history.

For the record of history. here are the names of those who won the election and thier parties

There were a total of 80 seat to win. The action group lead by chief obafemi awolowo won 38 seat , while the NCNC won 25, IPP 6, Ondo Improvement League 2, Otu Edo candidates 3

Action Group that won

Ijebu Remo – Obafemi Awolowo and M.S. Sowole; Ijebu Ode – Rev. SA Banjo and S.O. Awokoya; Oyo – Bode Thomas, Abiodun Akerele, ABP Thomas, TA Amao and SB Eyitayo; Osun – S.L. Akintola, J.O. Adigun, JA Oroge, S.I. Ogunwale, I.A. Adejare, J.A. Ogunmuyiwa and S.O. Ola.

Egba – J.F. Odunjo, Alhaji AT Ahmed, Rev. S.A. Daramola and Prince Adedamola; Egbado (now Yewa) – J.A.O. Odebiyi, D.A. Fafunmi and A. Akin Illo; Ekiti – E.A. Babalola and Rev. J. Ade-Ajayi; Badagry – Chief CD Akran and Rev. G.M. Fisher; Ikeja – SO Gbadamosi and O Akeredolu-Ale; Ife – Rev. SA Adeyefa and SO Olagbaju; Owo – AO Ogedengbe and RA Olusa; Epe – Safi Lawal Edu; Okitipupa – C.A. Tewe; Western Ijaw – M.F. Agidee; Ishan – Anthony Enahoro, and Warri – Arthur Prest.

The action group only needed 2 more seat to become majority in the house.

Three card carry members of action Adegbenro, Osuntokun and Hassan ran as independents candidate. The all won and voted for action group while Chief Akinloye lead IPP four members cross over to the Action group

AMA Akinloye, Chief DT Akinbiyi ,Chief SO Lanlehin, Moyosore Aboderin and SA Akinyemi,

The only members of the NCNC that cross carpet were
were: Chief SY Kesington-Momoh( auchi), JG Ako(Urhobo), and Awodi Orisaremi

You are a disgrace to your stock. Like father like son. If you really want to post an article off Wiki, you should post the entirety of the article not cutting the sections that satisfy your ignoramus fancy.

Where are the names of Chief Fani-kayode and Prince Adeleke Adedoyin? Ordinary arithmetic posed a menace to your empty skull. When the election polls of September 1951 were closed, AG was surprisingly shocked to have only won 29 seats out of 80.

However at the end of November 1951 due to slow process of filing election papers, AG has ethnically coaxed all the small parties and independent candidates that ran under the platform of NCNC to switch allegiance to AG. Yet the rank of AG could only swell to 38 still without clear majority.

If AG won the election as you would want us to believe, why should candidates that detested the political agenda of AG, contested and defeated AG candidates suddenly switched to AG? During Zik’s birthday bash, Chief AMA Akinloye even apologized to Zik stating that AG and majority of Yoruba people did not want Igbo person or non-Yoruba to become the first premier of western region.
Re: What If Zik Was Like Awolowo ? by babapupa: 7:53pm On Sep 30, 2009
lol @ cry baby cut and paste,

All that matters,

[b]Suffice it to say, that Awolowo as government leader in 1951 had the opportunity to put into reality his political programme. Between 1951 and 1956 during his first administration, he transformed Western Nigeria. This was through massive infrastructural and social development, including the building of the first modern stadium, several hospitals, schools and colleges, farm settlements as demonstrative farming schemes to show to peasant farmers that farming needs not be by illiterates and that farming could be mechanised and modernised to remove the tedium of back breaking cutlass and hoe farming of Nigerian peasants.

To crown his scheme of transformation, he introduced universal and compulsory free primary education in Western Nigeria in 1955. He did this after a well thought out committee report which linked development all over the world with rapid progress in education. Awolowo was persuaded that the genius of man can only be released through education and that of all resources a state may have, none is greater than human resources. A large population without education, he argued, will no doubt be a drag on development. But when properly educated, an educated citizen was the best capital a State can have.
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? / Hillary Clinton Linked With Major Boko Haram Sponsor / Why The Sudden Silence Of PDP As Regards Rotimi Akeredolu's Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.