Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,460 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other (768 Views)

Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / katsuyatakasu, A Japanese To Reward Nigerian Players At Rio Olympics (picture) / Chierika Ukogu Representing Nigeria At Rio 2016 Olympics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by neolboy(m): 7:16pm On Aug 17, 2016
US runner Abbey D'Agostino encouraged New Zealand's Nikki Hamblin as she lay dazed on the track after the two entangled and fell.

"Get up," she told her. "We have to finish this."
Then Hamblin herself hung back to encourage the American, who if anything probably needed more help.

D'Agostino eventually hobbled over the line in last place.

The two women embraced before D'Agostino left in a wheelchair with a hurt ankle.

The incident occurred about 3,000 metres (yards) into the race, when D'Agostino and Hamblin collided and both went down.

Hamblin fell heavily and just lay there, appearing to be in tears.

Instead of continuing the race in an attempt to catch up, the American put her hands under the New Zealander's shoulders to help her up, telling her not to give up.

As they continued the race, it became clear that D'Agostino's injury was the more serious and her ankle had been badly hurt.

So it was Hamblin's turn to be the helper, hanging back to encourage her rival.

"She helped me first," said Hamblin after the race. "I tried to help her. She was pretty bad."

She eventually had to leave D'Agostino behind and thought the American would have to give up.

She waited at the finish line where they shared a hug. This time, it was D'Agostino who was in tears and she was taken out of the stadium in a wheelchair.

"That girl is the Olympic spirit right there," said Hamblin.

The two runners have been reinstated as finalists by the organisers, if they are fit enough to race in Friday night's final.

source:www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37102355
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by neolboy(m): 7:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
Sportsmanship

Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by oloriooko(m): 7:30pm On Aug 17, 2016
Inspiring
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Abraham4christ(m): 7:32pm On Aug 17, 2016
Can 9ja girls do that?
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by kossyablaze(m): 7:35pm On Aug 17, 2016
Abraham4christ:
Can 9ja girls do that.
not just 9ja....No African...born and raised in Africa
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Tolexander: 7:45pm On Aug 17, 2016
kossyablaze:
not just 9ja....No African...born and raised in Africa
Abraham4christ:
Can 9ja girls do that.
stop ridiculing African race.

The question you could have asked is if the American (Abey D'Augustino) would have raised and supported the other lady if the lady wass an African!
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Abraham4christ(m): 7:54pm On Aug 17, 2016
Tolexander:

The question you could have asked is if the American (Abey D'Augustino) would have raised and supported the other lady if the lady wass an African!
Guy check my speech before u quote me<<<>>>And do not quote me.
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Tolexander: 8:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
Abraham4christ:

Guy check my speech before u quote me<<<>>>And do not quote me.
so naija girl isn't an African girl!

You can cease the quoting button from me to disenable me from quoting you!
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Abraham4christ(m): 8:08pm On Aug 17, 2016
Tolexander:
so naija girl isn't an African girl!

You can cease the quoting button from me to disenable me from quoting you!
Guy you just don't know the reason you are quoting me.That was a question,for christ sake,i don't know what is in your mind.(Now let the quoting stop with you)
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by Tolexander: 8:13pm On Aug 17, 2016
Abraham4christ:

Guy you just don't know the reason you are quoting me.That was a question,for christ sake,i don't know what is in your mind.(Now let the quoting stop with you)
young man, you are free to withdraw my quoting right!
Re: Two Runners At Rio Who Collided And Fell Helped Each Other by kossyablaze(m): 8:48pm On Aug 17, 2016
Tolexander:

Ok sir

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea Re-sign Luiz.... / FIVE Players Who Have Won Many Ballon D’ors / Antonio Conte: I Haven’t Spoken To Mikel About New Chelsea Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.