Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

How Far With Our Refineries? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Far With Our Refineries? (10492 Views)

Where Are The Modular Refineries? / Fg To Scrap Nnpc, Dpr, Pppra, Others; To Sell Unprofitable Refineries / Foreign Refineries To Stop Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil Due To NDA Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Far With Our Refineries? by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 18, 2016
This month makes it one year since 65 companies were granted licences to build modular refineries in Nigeria.
So far only one company was in the news when it claimed that it's refinery will be ready before 2016 ends. They later moved it early 2017.
and this has confirmed my assertion that private enterprises will not solve Nigeria's infrastructure deficits, and the way out is for governments to build those infrastructure and then sell them to the public. If that means taking foreign loans from ADB, IDB, or the World Bank, so be it. Yes, there is a risk that those loans may be squandered - as happened in the past - but that is minimal, understanding the present federal government.
But then, I expect such things to be important enough for Nigerians to keep track of their progress, but over time we got distracted with what Ayo Fayose or Dino Melaye is saying. I think we should keep our eyes on the things that matter most.

#justthinkingaloud

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by iamodenigbo1(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2016
no comment

2 Likes

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by blithe2nice(m): 8:57am On Aug 18, 2016
I dey come,make I waka reach aso rock ask minister of petroleum aka president buhari aka ......heyo,halla. Gerat here mehn...
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by abbaadamufan(m): 9:25am On Aug 18, 2016
Good observation,

I think it's a case of doing the right thing at a time when the climate is bad(the wrong time). The move to open up the sector and grant licences to private refinery operators is the perfect one, if government wants the innovative ability of the private sector to move the petroleum sector past the 80s kind of way it's been operating.

But who'll spend money on a refinery today, when production of crude is hampered by militants?

It will take only a Dangote, or someone else with the cash and government backing to try this feat in this climate.

I don't think this administration has the acumen to take loans to get the economy floating again. Besides it's a bad move.

A good economy is one that can stay afloat even when a government doesn't meddle with it.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Icecomrade: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
[b]
Nice idea, but how workable is it?

My major concern is that we ve always had an irresponsible government and worse off is this present APC administration.

I keep saying that, fuel subsidy payment is a right and not privilege.

It remains the responsibility of the government to provide functional refineries that will give the citizens access to PMS at very cheap rate.

Their failure remains the only reason why payment for fuel subsidy became necessary.

This government only dodged its responsibility to its citizens in the name of deregulation.

Its so nice to see those e-touts who supported removal of subsidy without government effort to provide functional refineries suffer the hardship.

This government is no longer paying any attention to our local refineries, all they do is sit down, fold their arms and legs, waiting for Dangote to finish building his refinery.

The sad news is that only competitions among local refineries can force cost of PMS, sadly, its going to be another monopoly by Dangote.

Anyone expecting more than N5, or N10 reduction after the completion of that refinery is only dreaming.

Plenty MUNTULA just full this country
.[/b]

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Dottore: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
Ok
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
PMB is undecided angry
Someone who is planning to bring back NEPA, NITEL and Nigeria Airways has no plans for the refineries.
I am sure, he likes national antiquities angry
He would keep it till Mr. Dangote starts his own refineries in December 2018 shocked
A government that plans to bring in crude oil from Chad and Niger to be refined in Kaduna, has no clue grin
They plan to take crude from Lagos through the borders to neighbouring Chad and Niger. Useless government.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by AlphaPegasi: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
hmmmm wahala dey. meanwhile dino maleye is in america famzing in the zoo with his chillen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by MadCow1: 3:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
Joavid:
This month makes it one year since 65 companies were granted licences to build modular refineries in Nigeria.
So far only one company was in the news when it claimed that it's refinery will be ready before 2016 ends. They later moved it early 2017.
and this has confirmed my assertion that private enterprises will not solve Nigeria's infrastructure deficits, and the way out is for governments to build those infrastructure and then sell them to the public. If that means taking foreign loans from ADB, IDB, or the World Bank, so be it. Yes, there is a risk that those loans may be squandered - as happened in the past - but that is minimal, understanding the present federal government.
But then, I expect such things to be important enough for Nigerians to keep track of their progress, but over time we got distracted with what Ayo Fayose or Dino Melaye is saying. I think we should keep our eyes on the things that matter most.

#justthinkingaloud

There is a Fraud being perpetuated with those licenses.. Same shiit they did with GENCO's..

What they do is use those licenses to secure loans from banks, use the Loans to finance other Businesses, make a profit, repay the loans and nothing is ever built..

The Government needs to revoke the licenses of holders who have not made any in-way or progress with it..

Another thing is also that it takes a lot of ground work to build a refinery.. Example: The EIA report alone takes over a year to get. The Basic Engineering as well takes time. HAZOP and HAZID, getting the Third Pary Certification for each design, contacting the international vendors that would handle the fabrication of many parts, e.t.c.. Building a refinery is not as simple as building a 2 bedroom flat. Securing the supply agreements as well is yet another wahala on its own.

The F.G would have to mediate in many of these deals and act as a mediator to fast track many things.

11 Likes

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by goldtube(m): 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
APC with promises are like 5&6

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by CHANNELStv2020: 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
FELLOW APC FRAUD U GO ENTER GUTTER, people way they tell EDO people say they go give them 20000 jobs in one year but on federal level 5 jobs we never see, the one way people get before they don lost

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Proffdada: 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
Location location location undecided

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
sad
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by RobinRay(m): 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
idk..........

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by nativedoctors(m): 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
I would have just ask PMB but his already gone lol

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
They are waiting for Dangote. That means If Dangote dies, Nigeria is doomed! grin cheesy grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Flets: 3:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
Nigeria's problem as at today is the person of Buhari. Let it be known that no serious investor without political backing will invest under a buhari government with the policy summersaults that have characterized this bankrupt administration.

Check out this trail of events:
Towards the elections, investors were quite cautious about further investments due to the negative politics played by APC
After the elections, the investor environment was unsettled as the president did not give any policy direction coupled with the delay to appoint ministers
And the first set of policies immediately revealed the negative thrust of the FG, the investors attempted to pull out their funds from Nigeria and the FG/CBN put in more restrictive policies that will not allow transfer of funds. It got to the point where forex could not be issued across the counter even when one has a domiciliary account
The investors got desperate and mopped up all the forex in the parallel market in a bid to immediately leave the Nigerian market.... even when most of them counted huge losses during the capital flight exercises. This further led to the scarcity of forex in the economy and the FG was clueless to discern and aid

Following this hard trail of investor events under Buhari, NO SANE INVESTOR WILL BLINDLY INVEST IN BUHARI'S NIGERIA/ ECONOMY because his antecedents and disposition towards the economy is clear even to the blind.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by DesChyko: 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
The past administration made it clear that it was too difficult to maintain those refineries, citing lack of maintenance for many years and difficulties in getting the workforce from countries with technical knowhow, but these our Saints in power blatantly called them liars, adding Naija Refineries to their numerous promises within the first 100 days in power.. Now we don dey touch 500 days, no show. Onto the private matter, it's not all aboit license. The environment must be viable too. If na you, with how thos country jaga jaga so, you go come position refinery here?

You know say pikin wey dem carry for back no dey understand say journey dey far.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by jamex93(m): 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2016
one chance things

grin grin grin grin

free at last after 5days darn,

the mod wey barn me... i just dey look u angry
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by omogidi234(m): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2016
[quote author=MadCow1 post=48592871]

There is a Fraud being perpetuated with those licenses.. Same shiit they did with GENCO's..[/quote

Can you throw more light please? It sounds unbelievable.

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by takenadoh: 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2016
The more u see the less u understand ,
That's exactly how I feel when I look at my blog and that of LIB,

But I know i'll get there..... as long as we have hope.

We will

[url]thenaijalisting..com.ng[/url]

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by Spells(m): 3:18pm On Aug 18, 2016
The number u've dialled is currently not reachable... This message is from the office of his excellency the presido
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by imanicah(m): 3:20pm On Aug 18, 2016
no body will risk his money setting up a business like a refinery where is pipe line vandalism and destruction of government properties. ask your Niger Delta avengers to explain better.

1 Like

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by VICTORCIZA(m): 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
hahahaha when a dullard rules
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by LordAdam: 3:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
I am pro-PDP, and as I dey see am so, na only Dangote be our hope.

Once that him refinery open show, all this cabal nonsense for refinery go end.

Watch how the level happen for telecommunications, when some kyn people hold NITEL hostage until MTN show.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by emymeeky: 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2016
grin
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by NameChecker: 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2016
ok
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by lollmaolol(m): 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
It only make sense to ask them, this is constructive enough @mbuhari
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by asarebabson: 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
U are free to call Buhari & find out
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by yanshDoctor: 3:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
hahahs.

and to think of it. there are a lot of secrecy been hidden from the public. from static importing of all petroleum products eat half of out foreign exchange alone. and the government is not bordering to fix this critical area.

we want or own country where we can develop rapidly and turn to Dubai. under this federal government there is not going to be any positive change. make my word.
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by NairaMaster1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2016
They are technically under maintenance undecided undecided
Re: How Far With Our Refineries? by 989900: 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2016
This one of the lowlights of this admin.

While I can relate to the difficulties/excuses from vandalism to corruption, I can't give PMB a pass, this is one of OBJ's, and GEJ' biggest failures, and it is still the same merry go round with PMB -- that sucks.

The refineries are about the most important thing to the republic, considering its DIRECT EFFECT on our economy, reserves, and the Naira -- absolutely no excuse can justify the lack of new modular refineries, nor the low performance state of the existing ones.

We need results, working on it for over 14 months for a problem you claim to have the solution is unacceptable.

Either peacefully or otherwise, you just have to get it done.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Know The Speaker Of Your State House Of Assembly? / Quit Active Politics, Be A Statesmen - Reporter tell Obasanjo / UN Commends Nigeria Over First-Ever Successful Conviction Of Piracy In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.