Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,449 members, 7,801,076 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire (32826 Views)

FUNAAB Student Union Set To Repair Camp-funaab Road / SOS Letter To The VC, University Of Ibadan By Distance Learning Students / UNIBEN Student Makes A Portrait Of The VC With 6000 Bottle Covers (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by jaymejate: 3:44pm On Aug 19, 2016
Scores of students of Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State, went on the rampage, on Thursday, over alleged incessant robbery attacks on school hostels within and outside the campus.

Two policemen and a student were injured while several vehicles were burnt during the protest, which lasted for about six hours. A student was allegedly cut with a machete on the head during the protest.

Our correspondent, who visited the scene, saw no fewer than seven vehicles that were set ablaze.

A police post at Osiele and another vehicle parked on the premises, as well as six other vehicles along the Abeokuta-Ibadan Road were set ablaze.

Also, the church, allegedly headed by the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Olusola Oyewole, Divine Heights Bible Church, Kotopo, along the Abeokuta-Ibadan Road, was also vandalised by the students while the windshields and wing mirrors of four vehicles on the premises were shattered.

PUNCH Metro learnt the students’ protest followed an attack by armed robbers on Adejoke Hostel in Isolu community in the early hours of Wednesday. The hostel is some distance away from the school.

It was gathered that the incident infuriated the students who claimed they had been left to their fate by the institution’s management.

The protest, which started as early as 6am, paralysed academic and administrative activities in the institution, causing gridlock along the Abeokuta-Ibadan Road.

Many students and workers of the institution were stranded at different bus stops.

Our correspondent learnt that the protest had been peaceful until a police team arrived at the scene. The students allegedly confronted the cops, leading to the riot.

A 100-level student of Forestry and Wildlife, identified as Taiwo Abisoye, was hit by a tear gas canister allegedly fired by a policeman.

The Chairman, National Association of Nigerian Students, Ogun State chapter, Dotun Opaleye, said Abisoye was responding to treatment at the Federal Medical Centre, Idi Aba, Abeokuta.

The Ogun State acting Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the policemen drafted to the scene of the incident addressed the students for almost three hours.

He said the policemen had to fire tear gas canisters to disperse the protesting students and hoodlums who had joined them, adding that 34 suspects had been arrested.

“We never shot at any student. We only fired tear gas canisters to disperse the hoodlums who had hijacked the peaceful protest. We have arrested 34 suspects, many of them were artisans.

“Nobody was killed. Some were injured. One student and two policemen were injured. The student was hit on his head by a stone thrown by his colleagues. The same students injured the two policemen.”

Tension gripped residents of the school’s environs but the deployment of riot policemen, men of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, brought the situation under control.

Men of the Ogun State Fire Service were also on the ground to put out the fire in the cars set ablaze by the students.

Meanwhile, the institution’s management has directed that all the students of the institution should embark on a seven-day break to enable it to put in place proper security arrangement for staff and students.

A statement issued by the institution’s Head, Directorate of Public Relations, Mrs. Emi Alawode, said the break was with immediate effect.

The statement read in part, “This is to enable the university to put additional welfare and security arrangements in place in order to further support the initiatives of the federal and state governments, towards the protection of lives and property of citizens, particularly, the members of staff and students of the university.”of lives and properties of its citizens, particularly, members of staff and students of the university.”

http://punchng.com/funaab-students-protest-robbery-attacks-burn-vehicles/

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Tobyshegz(m): 3:48pm On Aug 19, 2016
I always knew that this thread is filled with potentials— ability and a God given grace to get to fp..
Hehehehehehe..
Any how sha, i dedicate this glorious FTC to all my fans (I dont have any yet tho'), i didnt experrerit, olorun!!!.; and to all Man utd fans, haterz gon' hate but ibra still walks home with a brace,grin grin,(whack lines huhn??, leave me, aaaah!!, bo se ma n bere niyen— na so "upcomings" usually start) ..
*Feeling fly*..
Oro po ni iwe kobo, but i gotta shorten it, dem wailers will start attacking me now..
*puts on sunglasses*.
That Funaab dude tho'...
I heard he looks like lala....i heard ni oo
..I don dey pass my boundary sef.
*Walks outta thread*

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by bamirotola: 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2016
Space booked!....

This man is not good enough to be FUNAABS vc... since he came d administration has been a shatter nd tin of shame...
This never happened during Professor Olaiya Balogun tenure as VC.... i'm part of the privileged set to have enjoyed the astute and indefatigable erudite... God bless you Prof Balogun

Fight for your right students!!!! Aluta Continua!!! Victoria Ascerta!!!!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by johnstar(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2016
undecided

6 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by veekid(m): 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2016
Aluta continua
Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by NameChecker: 5:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
Yoruba Students & Riots

Just to dodge examination

40 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by martineinstein(m): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2016
future leaders,indeed....just look at d kind of youth nigeria is breeding....smh

is/are there any difference(s) btw these people andd boko haram/avengers?

6 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Mopolchi: 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2016
Why dey attack church?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by tsleazy(m): 5:16pm On Aug 19, 2016
Aluta my nyash.... This protest ended up bringing more harm than good. While the robbers are somewhere chilling, na VC them dey attack

13 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 19, 2016
jobless touts waiting for crisis to arise so they can cause problems

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Gapsy101(m): 5:16pm On Aug 19, 2016
Why church na,guess boko haram @work.

2 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by martineinstein(m): 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
veekid:
Aluta continua
are u supporting dis barbaric act?......

3 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
This is too bad from our so-called future leaders....

I just pray they dont suffer for it!....

Church for that matter!!....

9 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by ahamonyeka(m): 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2016
Funaab students make una keep destroying thing but one is sure that una go still pay for all those damages whether una like or not when the damages will be added to school fees.

22 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by divide9ja: 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2016

12 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Spells(m): 5:19pm On Aug 19, 2016
Funabb students r just something else... What has the church gat to do with the protest... Seems the sch hav bin raring animals not students.. Today e'm animalistic behaviour is out

13 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by coalcoal1(m): 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2016
why must students embark on destruction of properties? there are better ways to express your concerns. anyway, they'll be made to pay for these damages one way or the other.

5 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by ebujany(m): 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2016
Na VC fault? Kontinue....12 month sit at home loading

3 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by YhungPablo(m): 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2016
dey will regret doing dz

2 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by bj4klasic: 5:20pm On Aug 19, 2016
Pls the same problem we have in OOU. Instead of NPF to go after robbers dey go after Yahoo boys and haras students in the community. I guess we should talk to the commissioner of police in ogun state.

2 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by GodIsFoolish: 5:21pm On Aug 19, 2016
Pharaoh9:
Afonjas muslims

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by shaddoww: 5:22pm On Aug 19, 2016
Something happened outside d skul n dey went to destroy their vc's. Well it's not there fault, it's why dey are leaders of tomorrow n never today.

7 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by dollaflow(m): 5:25pm On Aug 19, 2016
hmmm
Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by DIFY20(f): 5:25pm On Aug 19, 2016
SOUTH WESTES SEF

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 19, 2016
martineinstein:
are u supporting dis barbaric act?......
undecided if u were robbed or ur sister raped then u would know what funaabites are going through

2 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by wizzypro06(m): 5:26pm On Aug 19, 2016
OPEN LETTER TO FUNAABITES

If you are a funaabite and you care about this school, you would please read this through.
The protest that escalated into Riot yesterday sent signals that we all should take note of, As much as I am happy that we finally stood up for something am afraid It might be the last time such would happen, because of the intimidation we are going to face. But we shouldn't be discouraged, it should rather spur us to stand up and against injustice, some of us made daring sacrifices yesterday, it was reported that 34 students were arrested, one of us was shot at by the police which they vehemently denied, through their spokesperson on channelsTV report yesterday, Taiwo isn't dead "and we are seriously praying for his recovery" but he made a daring sacrifice for us all. He took a bullet for us and we shouldn't let this heroic act just pass. While all these happened some of us cowardly sat in our hostels with our phone and updated ourselves as it all went down. To the brave hearts that came out "THANK YOU", to the creative minds that wrote and tweeted "THANK YOU"
Nobody, particularly none of us would have thought We could muster enough courage to take to the streets. We have always been regarded as Advanced Secondary School students, but something changed yesterday. Yesterday was the day I had imagined but never thought was going to manifest. The Nigerian Police Force under whosoever's authority might have succeeded in chasing us off the street by firing bullets at us ​(which by the way, the Police were never supposed to come to a protest or riot with guns talk less of firing at students)​ But the STRUGGLE CONTINUES and every one, to the very last one of us should be involved in this STRUGGLE,
Now that we are off the streets let' s pick our PENS and write, let's pick our PHONES and tweet, let our voices be heard. There is an advantage we have, we have the number, over 15,000 students in this school. Question needs to be asked
The Police yesterday claimed on CHANNELS TV, they didn't shoot at anybody. Then they should then explain what poor Taiwo is doing in UCH where he is been treated for gunshot wound. They arrested 34 students that are going to definitely be tortured like criminals because they protested, should we allow these Sacrfices by these students just pass by. Lets not forget that if this set of useless Policemen have done their job, none of this would have happened, we probably won't be at this point. They have succeeded in making us VICT IMS and made themselves VILLIANS
Like I said earlier we are going to be intimidated and if we are not careful they would break us to the point where we won't be able to raise our heads anymore. Now more than ever we need to stand in ONE VOICE. Mark my words the School is going to make an attempt to expell those 34 students arrested by the police, but TOGETHER we are going to refuse that, The school might attempt to suspend the SUG and with ONE VOICE we are going to refuse that.
It is time to let them know we have a SAY in the affairs of the school. If the have always had their way controlling the SUG officials, they can't control all of us. And we all have a part to play in this, start by spreading the word. Make sure every Funaabite you are in contact with reads this. "ALUTA CONTINUA" and VICTORY is cetatin.
*Copied*
Kindly Re_BC

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
Spells:
Funabb students r just something else... What has the church gat to do with the protest... Seems the sch hav bin raring animals not students.. Today e'm animalistic behaviour is out
let me guess u were denied admission angry o.lodo cannot even spell rearing properly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Adesiji77: 5:28pm On Aug 19, 2016
shocked
Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by israelboy1(m): 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2016
MAN made RULES

MEN played FOOL

MAN made RULES

...but still, we just gat FOLLOW SUIT

To the students, I just don't know what to say, paying EVIL with EVIL..will only cause more harm to the INNOCENTS..even though I assume the SUG hasn't been fair on this issue...acting in such manner does not boost the EGO of the being called HUMAN..

Chaplain once said, WE ARE MEN, AND WE ARE NOT MACHINES...SOMETIMES, I wonder if truly we really are.

We all know that some people are ready to promise heaven and earth, on getting to the high seat of PRIDE..they tend to neglect their humble beginning....these are tough time...we all are aware of that...but, it wouldn't be fair enough, if we all get MAD at once, cos...the outcome will definitely give us a memory..that will always break the innermost part of our HEART

MEN LOVES...only the UNLOVED hates.

NIGERIA, GOOD PEOPLE, GREAT NATION
WE ARE ONE...MEANT TO BE A HAPPY FAMILY
Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by Nawa4nl: 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2016

8 Likes

Re: Funaab Student Attacks The VC Church, DHBC And Set Cars On Fire by igraman(m): 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2016
Mopolchi:
Why dey attack church?
because it belongs to d VC who failed to provide us with adequate security .

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top Ten Oldest Universities In Africa / YABATECH Students Celebrate "ASDA Week" (Photos) / Senate Extends JAMB Result Validity To 3 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.