Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! (6835 Views)

Top 10 Core Questions You MUST Ask In A Job Interview To Land Your Dream Job / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips / How To Get Your Dream Job In Nigeria: 10 Powerful Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:53pm On Aug 19, 2016
Hello,

Patrick Okunima is my name. I'm a professional CV writer and CEO of Patrick Okunima CV Writing Services - www.patrickokunima.com. Beginning from now, I'll be sharing some job search, interview, CV and cover letter writing tips on this thread. I hope you'll find it helpful. Stay tuned!

Note: This thread is strictly to share job search, interview, CV and cover letter writing tips. So, if you have any questions or if you want to make inquiries, kindly visit our website, www.patrickokunima.com or contact me privately. You'll find my contact on my signature.

1. When adding accomplishments on your CV, be specific. Include figures and numbers, and be factual. E.g: Grew customer-base by 50% within 6 months.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to miss any of our update. Go to the bottom of the thread and click follow.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by Eddodoh(m): 6:18pm On Aug 19, 2016
Nice one.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by Eddodoh(m): 6:19pm On Aug 19, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
1. When adding accomplishments on your CV, be specific. Include figures and numbers, and be factual. E.g: Grew customer-base by 50% within 6 months.
On relevant and post-NYSC work experience request by employers;
I have my early jobs in the Hotel as a Receptionist and a Porter on my CV. Though I currently work as a Customer Service/Call Center Agent.

I want to remove the pre-NYSC jobs and include post-NYSC job(s).
Moreso, I have the notion that the add to my experience (funny as I haven't gotten any job on account of my previous/early work experience as interviewers focused on my post-NYSC experience). I was made to understand that most people have done different jobs in various organizations during their studies but do not include them on their CV.

Kindly advice appropriately and make recommendation where necessary.

Excerpt of my employment history;
Customer Service Representative. .......2014-Till Date
Teacher(NYSC)........................................2012-2013
Receptionist..............................................2011-2012
Porter.........................................................2005--2012
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:51pm On Aug 19, 2016
@ Eddodoh: I'll attend to you. However, I'll like to clearly state that this thread was opened for the sole purpose of sharing CV and cover letter writing tips. In the future, I may create a different thread to attend to questions. Thanks for your understanding.

Back to your question.

Personally, I do not like including pre-NYSC work history on CVs, but if my client insists, who am I to refuse? Including or removing it is a personal decision. I do not think any recruiter or hiring manager will penalize you for including it. My advice to you and other applicants is to add pre-NYSC work history only when it's relevant to the position you're applying for. Otherwise, do away with it.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by Eddodoh(m): 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
@ Eddodoh: I'll attend to you. However, I'll like to clearly state that this thread was opened for the sole purpose of sharing CV and cover letter writing tips. In the future, I may create a different thread to attend to questions. Thanks for your understanding.

Back to your question.

Personally, I do not like including pre-NYSC work history on CVs, but if my client insists, who am I to refuse? Including or removing it is a personal decision. I do not think any recruiter or hiring manager will penalize you for including it. My advice to you and other applicants is to add pre-NYSC work history only when it's relevant to the position you're applying for. Otherwise, do away with it.
Thanks
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:53am On Aug 20, 2016
2. If you want to tell a recruiter or hiring manager who you really are, your CV will never be enough, that’s the reason cover letters exist.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:33am On Aug 20, 2016
3. With limited space and so much information to share about your skills, experience and qualifications, it’s important to be mindful of the words you use on your CV.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 2:53pm On Aug 21, 2016
4. The story your CV tells about why you’re the perfect candidate for a position is much more important than the length of your CV.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:41pm On Aug 21, 2016
5. Go to interview venues prepared with good questions to ask the interviewer. Asking questions indicate your interest in the company or job. Nothing impresses some interviewers more than a really good question that not only shows you've researched the company in general, but also the specific job you're hoping to land. It shows that you’ve really done your homework.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by meetgaya: 4:50pm On Aug 21, 2016
Following
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:28pm On Aug 21, 2016
You're welcome.
Eddodoh:

Thanks
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:03pm On Aug 21, 2016
Thanks.
meetgaya:
Following

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:45am On Aug 22, 2016
6. These days, 90% of large companies use Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Hence, knowing how to beat them makes a lot of difference.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 12:04pm On Aug 22, 2016
7. A one-size-fit-all CV is one of the reasons most applicants don’t get interview invites.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
8. In your cover letter, employers don’t only want to hear about you. They want to hear about themselves, too.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by ruthieo(f): 4:03pm On Aug 22, 2016
hi for instance am a graduate of MCB and I got an interview of receptionist they ask why receptionist? I said cos it gives me the chance to meet clients and new people. they were now saying do I wanna kill my career for mcb-microbiology?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by ruthieo(f): 4:04pm On Aug 22, 2016
hi for instance am a graduate of MCB and I got an interview of receptionist they ask why receptionist? I said cos it gives me the chance to meet clients and new people. they were now saying do I wanna kill my career for mcb-microbiology? they asked my goal I said to be a great MCB irrespective of where I start from they said this been my first job is a start up sort of I said yes
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:50pm On Aug 22, 2016
9. The secret to writing a great cover letter is to pretend that the person you’re writing to already loves and respects you.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:59am On Aug 23, 2016
10. Your cover letter is meant to complement your CV—not reiterate it.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:29pm On Aug 23, 2016
11. Create a unique CV for every job you apply for. You don't have to re-write the whole thing, just adapt the details so they're relevant.

1 Like

Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2016
12. Including references on your CV is not important. However, if you must, it should be from someone who has employed you in the past and can vouch for your skills and experience. If you've never worked before, you're OK to use a teacher or tutor as a referee. Two or three is fine.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by abtywo(m): 9:23pm On Aug 23, 2016
Career Objectives or Professional Summary wc one is better to use in a CV
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:10am On Aug 24, 2016
13. It's important to review your CV on a regular basis and add any new skills, qualifications or experience that's missing. For example, if you've just done some volunteering or worked on a new project, make sure they're on there – potential employers are always impressed with candidates who go the extra mile to boost their own skills and experience.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:05pm On Aug 24, 2016
14. Prepare your CV in a simple Word format that can easily be viewed on most computers. Use PDF only when requested by the recruiter, as most CV Tracking Systems cannot read PDF documents.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:48am On Aug 25, 2016
15. Include your personal details - name, address, phone number and email. People often forget them! Do not include your age or a photograph unless specifically asked to do so.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:37pm On Aug 25, 2016
16. When you write your employment history and education details, put your most recent achievements first.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:02am On Aug 26, 2016
17. Make the length of your CV relative to your work experience: if you have many years experience in a wide range of roles, you can justify a long CV. Academic CVs are usually at least 4-5 pages long, whereas CVs tailored to the private sector should be only 2.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
18. You can sound professional without using jargon or 'management-speak'. Keep your writing clear, direct and focused. Remember that the person looking at your CV might not be an expert in your field.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:38am On Aug 27, 2016
19. Try to write your CV using as few words as possible - this way you'll keep to the point and avoid waffle. You can say more in your cover letter and application form, there’s no need to go into depth in a CV.
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by Elegantdiva: 11:28am On Aug 27, 2016
Ok
Re: UNVEILED: Powerful Tips To Help You Land Your DREAM JOB!!! by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:06am On Aug 30, 2016
20. Use ‘doing’ words on your CV such as ‘developed’ or ‘organized’. This makes you sounds active and not passive.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LAPO INVITE: This Is Urgent PLEASE!!! / National Universities Commission (nuc)application 2016 Submission Info. / The Most Important Step I Took After I Was Sacked From A Bank-to Sacked Bankers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.