Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:59 PM

Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced (652 Views)

Ongoing Road Construction Project In Kogi West Influenced By Senator Dino Melaye / South West Governors Unite, Say, External Influence Wont Divide Us (PIC) / Peter Obi Influenced Fidelity Bank's Transactions With Diezani - Bank MD,Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 21, 2016
With the aim of diverting our minds from the current economic situation in the country and also from the ethnic wars mostly displayed by our cyber war lords on Niaraland, I came up with this topic from an argument which I had with my friends some weeks ago.

My friends believes that environment can influence someone negatively. But my contribution to this argument was that, people choose to be influenced by their environment, except when they find themselves in a situation were some sort coercion/force is used on them. So I'm leaving the floor to my fellow Nairalanders to deliberate on this and also give their own opinion.

please do note that the environment could be;
1.Human beings(friends/peer group)
2.Objects(mobile phone/internet,etc)
3.A geographical location of a place that is occupied by bad boys and girls or cultist.
4.Playing of bets A.k.A pool and the likes.
5.Other factors like poverty and hunger etc Anything that you can relate with in general term as 'environment' to boost your opinion will be highly welcome.
Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by dunkem21(m): 8:45pm On Aug 21, 2016
Reminds one of the age long nature/nurture controversy cool
Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Flexherbal(m): 8:47pm On Aug 21, 2016
Al of the above!
Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 21, 2016
A little bit of both
Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Cholls(m): 9:13pm On Aug 21, 2016
my brother circumstances doesn't make a man it reveals it'---Napoleon Hill.

1 Like

Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by sebali: 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
The ans 2 dis questions is in these books "the blank slate" by steven pinker and "Incognito" by Eagleman. We all are born into d world with different traits, so the first thing dat determines who u re is ur gene(nature), ur environment (nurture) only dampens or promotes who you already are. Take as an example.... Psychologist thru research believes dat if a child with a violent gene grows up in an environment where there plenty for all, love and peace. That child tends 2 be less violent dan anoda child with same violent gene dat grows up in poverty, a ghetto e.t.c Another example is if a child is has an intelligence gene, but lives in an environment where d resource he needs for his academic pursuit are not available 2 him dat child wud not do better dan one born with average intelligence in an environment where he gets all his educational needs.
So there u hav it....... U re ur gene, ur environment only suppresses or amplifies you.

2 Likes

Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 21, 2016
Cholls:
my brother circumstances doesn't make a man it reveals it'---Napoleon Hill.
In other words, people that goes into stealing because of poverty or circumstances has no excuse. Nice one
Re: Do Environment Influence People Negatively Or People Choose To Be Influenced by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 21, 2016
sebali:
The ans 2 dis questions is in these books "the blank slate" by steven pinker and "Incognito" by Eagleman. We all are born into d world with different traits, so the first thing dat determines who u re is ur gene(nature), ur environment (nurture) only dampens or promotes who you already are. Take as an example.... Psychologist thru research believes dat if a child with a violent gene grows up in an environment where there plenty for all, love and peace. That child tends 2 be less violent dan anoda child with same violent gene dat grows up in poverty, a ghetto e.t.c Another example is if a child is has an intelligence gene, but lives in an environment where d resource he needs for his academic pursuit are not available 2 him dat child wud not do better dan one born with average intelligence in an environment where he gets all his educational needs.
So there u hav it....... U re ur gene, ur environment only suppresses or amplifies you.
Are there geneticist and psychologist in the house ? Please come do justice to this

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Rulers In Abia Confer Ikpeazu With Traditional Title Of 'onwa Abia' / Mrs. Aisha Buhari And Mrs. Bolanle Ambode At The Launch Of Raise Foundation / Reno Omokri & Lookalike Daughter Rock Itsekiri Outfits In Houston (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.