Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,763 members, 7,802,333 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! (10524 Views)

I Love My Dogs! / Please Help Ticks Are About To Kill My Dogs / Fast Solution To Ticks, Fleas And Lice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 9:05pm On Aug 21, 2016
There were so many at first when I struggled to remove them all and crush them. Then bathe them with antiseptic thinking it was over. Only to find out another fresh set of these blood sucking demons on their skin. I am really tired of removing them. Help o.. the vet doctors are too expensive. undecided

I also saw some inside the ear canal where my hands couldn't get to.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Aug 21, 2016
Well, you'll still need to go to the vet, you'll be able to buy tick powder and a soap for bathing the dog.

We usually use palm kernel oil to rub on our dog after baths, its smells nice, makes its hair shine and I'm told it keeps ticks away. You can also drop the palm kernel oil in the ears. You'll notice the tick falling off after a few days.

6 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by davide470(m): 9:32pm On Aug 21, 2016
Palm Kernel Oil works well on them as Kennygee stated.

After applying though, your dog would try to roll its body on the floor, prevent that.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Muoweta: 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2016
I used ivermec subcut( for ecto n endo) parasites buh I'm happy to be here. Pls wen u say palm carnel oil do u mean Ororo or I don't understand tks
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by yhuci(m): 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
First of all, try not to crush them..noticed they multiply whenever I do such. just drown it. Avoid centinel pls. I use PROVETHRINE 30, it's an oil.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Samswags9(m): 6:10am On Aug 23, 2016
See as a matter of fact if you take care of your dog they won't for any reason be infected by Ticks.

TICKS CAN'T BE CONTROLLED EASILY.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Yababoy(m): 9:20am On Aug 23, 2016
There was a spray I used when I once observed ticks on my dog. The name ends with Guard. It is extremely effective, worked like magic for me. I'll check the name for you later this evening.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 9:23am On Aug 23, 2016
kennygee:
Well, you'll still need to go to the vet, you'll be able to buy tick powder and a soap for bathing the dog.

We usually use palm kernel oil to rub on our dog after baths, its smells nice, makes its hair shine and I'm told it keeps ticks away. You can also drop the palm kernel oil in the ears. You'll notice the tick falling off after a few days.

thanks dear.. i will get it asap.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 9:25am On Aug 23, 2016
davide470:
Palm Kernel Oil works well on them as Kennygee stated.

After applying though, your dog would try to roll its body on the floor, prevent that.

wait.. do you mean palm oil, the red oil used for cooking
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Yababoy(m): 9:27am On Aug 23, 2016
Samswags9:

See as a matter of fact if you take care of your dog they won't for any reason be infected by Ticks.

TICKS CAN'T BE CONTROLLED EASILY.

I've had dogs for years and never had an incident of ticks until my gateman walked my dog for a week whilst I was away. He apparently walked him through an area that must have been passed by an infested dog and voila my dog picked it up. Fortunately, I was able to manage it with the spray I got from my vet within 24 hours. So take it that tick infection has nothing to do with not taking care of your dog.

6 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 23, 2016
wheesin:

No go rub palm oil for ur dog body o.

I said palm kernel oil. Its the oil gotten from palm fruit seed.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 9:40am On Aug 23, 2016
kennygee:

No go rub palm oil for ur dog body o.

I said palm kernel oil. Its the oil gotten from palm fruit seed.

lol.. e remain small o. I was already planning on doing so. Pardon me please, where can I get it? local stores or big malls
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by davide470(m): 10:00am On Aug 23, 2016
wheesin:

No. The oil extract from palm kernel.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by khassy(m): 11:48am On Aug 23, 2016
picture of your dog, hope its not a bingo undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
wheesin:

lol.. e remain small o. I was already planning on doing so. Pardon me please, where can I get it? local stores or big malls

I usually make mine. Look for restaurants where they make banga soup, ask then for the seed. You'll need to break the nuts to get out the seed, as many seeds as u can find. Then put a pot on fire, when the pot is dry like u want to fry something, pour all the seeds in the pot and cover the pot.

PS: smoke go full ur kitchen o and the smell could take the next day to fade off, so u might want to do this outside.

After you've started seeing thick smoke from the covered pot, you can check it to see if the oil is out. If its not, cover the pot again and give it time. The oil is dark brown in colour, almost black.

After the oil is out, sieve it from the burnt seeds. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2016
kennygee:

I usually make mine. Look for restaurants where they make banga soup, ask then for the seed. You'll need to break the nuts to get out the seed, as many seeds as u can find. Then put a pot on fire, when the pot is dry like u want to fry something, pour all the seeds in the pot and cover the pot.

PS: smoke go full ur kitchen o and the smell could take the next day to fade off, so u might want to do this outside.

After you've started seeing thick smoke from the covered pot, you can check it to see if the oil is out. If its not, cover the pot again and give it time. The oil is dark brown in colour, almost black.

wow.. let me go and experiment.. thank you very much, i'm grateful
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by wheesin(m): 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
khassy:
picture of your dog, hope its not a bingo undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

lol.. na German Shepard
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Akunyun(m): 7:39pm On Aug 23, 2016
There's an oral ivermectin called CONCIMECTIN, It's used to delouse and deworm in poultry, Buh it works like magic in killing ticks in dogs, Use @ 1ml to 9kg body weight. NB ; Mix it with milk for dogs to easily ingest it coz I think the taste isn't sweet.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by henry007(m): 4:27am On Aug 24, 2016
kennygee:

Is it not better to buy it or something else. sounds like a lot of stresss already
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 24, 2016
henry007:

Is it not better to buy it or something else. sounds like a lot of stresss already

Its very rare to find it. Maybe from the village, but the process of making it is even interesting. So I love it.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Yababoy(m): 5:31pm On Sep 01, 2016
Use P-Guard, it works like magic and it sort of also protects them from other ticks within the environment after it has been applied on their skin.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Palletboss27: 9:27am On Sep 04, 2016
it is called adin in yoruba ... those people that sells ingredient for agbo for children use to have it ... it works wonder and keeps the tick away ... use it for my cau and my rott .. it makes the rot shinning and the hair coat grow well ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Patented: 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2016
get any of the soaps recommended above and bath the dog, follow this up with washing the places your dog usually hangs around with the soapy water, if this is possible. I have also found it beneficial to do this just after it rains. reason is that there is a tendency for rain to wash away ticks and fleas that are lurking around on the ground on walls and plants.

repeat the process till you are free of ticks.
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by eagleveterinary: 6:22pm On Sep 05, 2016
Wheesin the vets ain't expensive it's all about management issues iI. E on the dogs and environment u can visit us and I will explain more on how to tackle it on 124 OGUNLANA DRIVE surulere OPPOSITE CREAM SLICES

That is if you live in lagos and stay around surulere
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by VeeJay95(m): 10:24pm On Sep 07, 2016
Go to any of this alagbo (local medcine/herb) sellers and tell them u want Adin dudu for dog. I used it for my german shepard and she is tick free till today.
Note The dog wld become lazy or weak and would eat a lot after application

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by TOPAI7(m): 5:10pm On May 12, 2017
Good day.

How do i apply this on the dog?

Thanks.

VeeJay95:
Go to any of this alagbo (local medcine/herb) sellers and tell them u want Adin dudu for dog. I used it for my german shepard and she is tick free till today.
Note The dog wld become lazy or weak and would eat a lot after application
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by drdeola001: 10:28pm On May 14, 2017
The guy who suggested adin was on point.plm kennel oil will kill ticks and it's a local or unorthodox approach to getting rid of parasites either external or internal(worms).
2.Adding garlic to your dog food is the most effective means of prevention of ticks.its been tested and proven although it's a holistic approach.
3/use AMITRAX 12% E'C for bathing once a week works very well too.
If u have pups use ectoparisitic dog powders.
Good luck and
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by PAQ(m): 1:14pm On May 21, 2017
I also battled with ticks, my area is infested. I fumigated the premise, bath my dogs regularly, applied powders, pour-ons, even ivermec ( be careful wit dis one its harmful to shephard breeds like GSD, CO's). All these were hard work, expensive and slow results due to my surrounding environment.

Until my vet introduced me to an injection that saved me all the hassle. Its just N1500, and it last for about a month. The injection poisons the dogs blood. Making the ticks fall of and die!

Because i fear the components of the injection may have a negative impact on the dogs, i give the shots once in three months then within the period the injection is not active i bath the dogs more and apply powder or whatever pour-on i have, then sanitize the dogs area.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by blackboy(m): 10:01pm On May 21, 2017
Very interesting
Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by lahit14(m): 6:23am On May 22, 2017
What every approach u decide to use, Neva Eva kill the ticks by crushing them, especially mature ones, u only help them spread their eggs

1 Like

Re: Help! My Dogs Are Infested With Ticks! by Sillyprofits(m): 12:57pm On Sep 15, 2018
PAQ:
I also battled with ticks, my area is infested. I fumigated the premise, bath my dogs regularly, applied powders, pour-ons, even ivermec ( be careful wit dis one its harmful to shephard breeds like GSD, CO's). All these were hard work, expensive and slow results due to my surrounding environment.

Until my vet introduced me to an injection that saved me all the hassle. Its just N1500, and it last for about a month. The injection poisons the dogs blood. Making the ticks fall of and die!

Because i fear the components of the injection may have a negative impact on the dogs, i give the shots once in three months then within the period the injection is not active i bath the dogs more and apply powder or whatever pour-on i have, then sanitize the dogs area.

I just got the idea of palm fruits oil from a friend and. I've bought and pounded it.

By tomorrow I should extract the water and use it to bathe the dogs. After which I'll try and fumigate it's cages and environs.

I have a farm yard and guard dogs. One of the dogs is heavily infested (on a scale of ten I've got like a 5)

I can feel lots bumps of ticks stuck to it's body when I rub my hand on it. It gives me goosebumps!

And she's preggy too.

Is it safe to use the injection at this stage

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Just Got My First Cat / Where Can I Get Crushed Noodles Waste For Pets? / Available Dogs For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.