Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African (1207 Views)

5 Men Of God Who Should Be Ashamed Of Themselves. / Great Verses From The Bible, ... That Christians Are Ashamed Of. / Ashamed Of Your Traditional Name Based On Religious Beliefs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Atheists: 5:42pm On Sep 29, 2009
At a fil festival they showed a short film of children being accused of being witches in Nigeria,Congo and Kenya. Parents abandoning a 2 year old kid because a charlatan masquerading as a man of god has accused that kid of being a witch. This is a prime example of how religion poisons everything. Attacking the most vulnerable members of society in the name of god. You see an atheist would never do such a thing because we don't believe in absurdities
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by muhsin(m): 5:48pm On Sep 29, 2009
I have never thought of that.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 5:55pm On Sep 29, 2009
Atheists:

At a fil festival they showed a short film of children being accused of being witches in Nigeria,Congo and Kenya. Parents abandoning a 2 year old kid because a charlatan masquerading as a man of god has accused that kid of being a witch. This is a prime example of how religion poisons everything. Attacking the most vulnerable members of society in the name of god. You see an atheist would never do such a thing because we don't believe in absurdities
 Don't forget to include the Salvation Army - a christian evangelical organization, one of the biggest charitable entities in the entire world, ever present to help at scenes of all kinds and levels of disasters all around the globe. The Salvation Army, a prime example of how religion poisons everything!

Many atheists just love to point at the failures of religion - they forget religion is also the driving force of countless organizations doing incredible charitable work all across the globe by christians, catholics etc.  Off the top of your head, name one atheist-based foundation or organization that does charitable work like the Salvation Army?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by banom(m): 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2009
JeSoul:

Don't forget to include the Salvation Army - a christian evangelical organization, one of the biggest charitable entities in the entire world, ever present to help at scenes of all kinds and levels of disasters all around the globe. The Salvation Army, a prime example of how religion poisons everything!

Many atheists just love to point at the failures of religion - they forget religion is also the driving force of countless organizations doing incredible charitable work all across the globe by christians, catholics etc. Off the top of your head, name one atheist-based foundation or organization that does charitable work like the Salvation Army?

@ Jesoul,

Why should religion fail in any case ? is it not supposed to be infalible ?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 6:07pm On Sep 29, 2009
banom:

@ Jesoul,

Why should religion fail in any case ? is it not supposed to be infalible ?
I should have said "failures of religious people" instead. When you have imperfect men/women in the picture, there will be wrongdoing and evil.
The only thing infallible is God and His word.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by mazaje(m): 6:16pm On Sep 29, 2009
Atheists:

To say that religion does ONLY bad is to not know what you are talking about. . .Some people in some parts of Nigeria used to sacrifice their twin babies to their god until christians came and adviced them to stop it. . .the cases of witches and wizards in africa predates the coming of the white man. . .people till have evil forest in Nigeria till date. . . .innocent people are still being tagged as witches and wizards in african cultures and killed in accordance to the local religion and culture. .
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by banom(m): 6:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
JeSoul:

I should have said "failures of religious people" instead. When you have imperfect men/women in the picture, there will be wrongdoing and evil.
The only thing infallible is God and His word.

Are you saying apart from the practioners, religion and the its words have not caused any form of fairlure ?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 6:36pm On Sep 29, 2009
banom:

Are you saying apart from the practioners, religion and the its words have not caused any form of fairlure ?
But the two go hand in hand don't they? a religion is non existent without followers. Just like a gun is powerless to shoot itself, but placed in the hands of a lunatic it is a dangerous weapon.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by banom(m): 6:48pm On Sep 29, 2009
JeSoul:

But the two go hand in hand don't they? a religion is non existent without followers. Just like a gun is powerless to shoot itself, but placed in the hands of a lunatic it is a dangerous weapon.

Is that a gambling tactics to answer a simple question ? Davidylan have coached you abi ?

If religion says i should kill non followers and i do so , ? is religion not the primary cause ?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 6:55pm On Sep 29, 2009
banom:

Is that a gambling tactics to answer a simple question ? Davidylan have coached you abi ?

If religion says i should kill non followers and i do so , ? is religion not the primary cause ?
Lol . . . I wouldn't say "primary cause" no.

People have this crazy thing known as a [b]choice [/b]to either follow a religion or not. People are the primary cause, not the religion. In the same way the gun is not the primary cause, but the person shooting it.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by banom(m): 7:07pm On Sep 29, 2009
JeSoul:

Lol . . . I wouldn't say "primary cause" no.

People have this crazy thing known as a [b]choice [/b]to either follow a religion or not. People are the primary cause, not the religion. In the same way the gun is not the primary cause, but the person shooting it.

You have started what makes me to avoid anything debate or arguement with christians , ( Ill judgement) it is too bad,

In the other thread your name was listed as one of the very few that will be going to heaven with me and Jakumo , but i am afraid we may have to place you on pending till further notice, You have changed, since that day you turned the other chic for me to slap again,
What realy went wrong, you backslided ? oh the devil is wicked ,
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 7:13pm On Sep 29, 2009
banom:

You have started what makes me to avoid anything debate or arguement with christians , ( Ill judgement) it is too bad,

In the other thread your name was listed as one of the very few that will be going to heaven with me and Jakumo , but i am afraid we may have to place you on pending till further notice, You have changed, since that day you turned the other chic for me to slap again,
What realy went wrong, you backslided ? oh the devil is wicked ,

common now Banom dearest kiss you're not showing me which part of my arguement is flawed now. Ejo, pending is a no-no, please tell the angel to keep my name on the definite list cheesy
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by banom(m): 7:21pm On Sep 29, 2009
JeSoul:

common now Banom dearest kiss you're not showing me which part of my arguement is flawed now. Ejo, pending is a no-no, please tell the angel to keep my name on the definite list cheesy

mhh ok, will you turn the other chic again if i slap you next time ?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by JeSoul(f): 7:25pm On Sep 29, 2009
banom:

mhh ok, will you turn the other chic again if i slap you next time ?
. . . sure I will. Only because I know you are too much of a gentleman to slap me kiss
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Krayola(m): 10:37pm On Sep 29, 2009
hahaha

Bottom-line is that little kids are suffering because of Christianity. Pointing at the good religion has done does not change that fact. Pointing at what our fore fathers used to do does not change that either (Europeans did the same shit). Christians, in the name of the Christian God, are making children's lives miserable. Very miserable. You can claim that that isn't the real christianity, but i bet u that pastor is quoting words out of the Bible like other christians do. Out of context, maybe. . .but just like anyone else.

Religion is one of the things holding Africa back. Corruption, 1st. . lack of eduction  . .  .but religion is up there too.  People are too busy being scared to piss God off, they can't love even their own kids. Trying to brush over this as just some unfortunate mishap does those kids no favors.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by dgreatrock(m): 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2009
@Atheist, what has that got to do with African?

We do muddle things up when we mix up what cannot blend!

I am an African and will live and die as one, but moreso i am a Christian and will live and die as one.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Tudor6(f): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2009
dgreatrock:

@Atheist, what has that got to do with African?

We do muddle things up when we mix up what cannot blend!

I am an African and will live and die as one, but moreso i am a Christian and will live and die as one.
live and die a christian all you want but don't use your fu.ckedup bible -inspired ideas to marginalise and kill children.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by dgreatrock(m): 10:58am On Sep 30, 2009
who said killing of kids is limited to Africans and those naive folks who accused those kids of witchcraft?

Do have a rethink or better still, change the title of this thread!
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by wirinet(m): 12:05pm On Sep 30, 2009
The one that annoys me most is the fact that Africans find the white man, with white skin, features, clothes, etc, as objects of worship and reverence. All the statues and images of objects we worship, be it Jesus, Mary or the saints are all white. You would have though that our African Traditional Religions would be immune from this colo-mentality. But in my research, I had gone to a few Babalawo shrines and you will be surprised, that there is always an ugly looking white (sometimes red) skinned doll at the centre of the alter. You will see it even in our home movies.

Is there some power associated with white skin.

our children play with dolls of white skin.

Is the black skin really evil?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Krayola(m): 1:33pm On Sep 30, 2009
kolomentality.

People love Abraham more than their own fore-fathers. Wetin concern me with Abraham. . .Why not just start worshiping Genghis khan, or Alexander the great? What a shame!! cry cry
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by DeepSight(m): 2:25pm On Sep 30, 2009
Lots of evil has been done in the name of Religion.

Let's take one example: the crusades.

What caused the crusades -

1. The gospel as preached by Jesus OR

2. Individual greed and lust for power?

Give me a break. I am pissed off at religion myself, but that dont mean we should throw off our heads in the mad rush to slander it.
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Krayola(m): 3:07pm On Sep 30, 2009
Deep Sight:

Lots of evil has been done in the name of Religion.

Let's take one example: the crusades.

What caused the crusades -

1. The gospel as preached by Jesus OR

2. Individual greed and lust for power?

Give me a break. I am pissed off at religion myself, but that don't mean we should throw off our heads in the mad rush to slander it.

When a religion causes people to burn humans at the stake, or make their kids suffer, it deserves to be slandered.

Is it greed and lust for power that causes people to flog their kids and lock them up in churches instead of send them to schools? IMO it is the fear of God, and belief in all this supernatural mumbo jumbo.

FYI the crusaders, for the most part, were faithful, devout christians. They sincerely believed they were preparing the way for the 2nd coming of Christ. Were some of the leaders corrupt? most likely. ,   but that can be said of almost any other institution.  .even the most sincere charities.

If not for the open mindedness of the Muslims (tolerance and freedom of religion in their territories), we could still be living in the dark ages. In fact it was knowledge that was imported from their territories after the 1st crusades that ushered in the end of the dark ages. The arabs had been studying Greek and Latin philosophy and writings that the westerners had abandoned for their infallible bible. They had developed on a lot of the stuff, and the crusaders were shocked to see how intellectually advanced the Arabs were  . . The infallible Bible suppresses growth. Like all other forms of dogma!
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2009
@poster, am ashamed you are an African tongue do not
you know that every country has bad and good?
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by bawomolo(m): 3:16pm On Sep 30, 2009
Krayola:

Religion is one of the things holding Africa back. Corruption, 1st. . lack of eduction  . .  .but religion is up there too.  People are too busy being scared to piss God off, they can't love even their own kids. Trying to brush over this as just some unfortunate mishap does those kids no favors.

I won't say Religion per say but the expectation that God would solve your problems is what's holding Africans by.   Read the politics section in the forum and you'd see people praying for God to enact "judgment" on their leaders.  This same God seems to have let the likes of IBB to go unharmed for decades. That servile attitude coupled with religious extremism (boko haram etc) is what's ruining africans
Re: I Have Never Been Ashamed Of Being African by Krayola(m): 3:20pm On Sep 30, 2009
bawomolo:

I won't say Religion per say but the expectation that God would solve your problems is what's holding Africans by.   Read the politics section in the forum and you'd see people praying for God to enact "judgment" on their leaders.  This same God seems to have let the likes of IBB to go unharmed for decades. That servile attitude couples of religious extremism (boko haram etc) is what's ruining africans

I fully agree with you.

(1) (Reply)

Do We Need Shoes In Our Walk With God? / Examination Malpractice, Anyone? / Fact About Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.