Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:24 AM

Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month (12509 Views)

Ford Self-driving Cars Are Now Delivering Domino Pizzas Across Miami / Waymo Self-driving Cars Becomes Soft Before Hitting A Pedestrian / Vulcanizers In Nigeria Are Killing People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by smacx: 3:11pm On Aug 24, 2016
Uber aims to catch up with Google in the production of self-driving cars.

The taxi-service company is on the verge of replacing over one million drivers with computers – which is quite unfortunate for those who make a living from being Uber drivers, thousands of young, middle aged Nigerian men inclusive.

Uber is said to have been working on self-driving cars since 2015.

In an interview with Bloomberg, Travis Kalanick, CEO of Uber revealed that the company is preparing to add self-driving cars to its fleet of active drivers in Pittsburgh as early as this month.

“The company will deploy around 100 modified Volvo XC90s outfitted with self-driving equipment. Each vehicle will be staffed by one engineer, who can take the wheel as/when needed, and a co-pilot to observe and take notes.

“There will also be a “liquid-cooled” computer sitting in the trunk recording trip and map data.”

Customers will make requests from their phones through Uber’s app and will be paired with a driverless car, as is presently being done.

https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/uber-self-driving-nigeria-pittsburgh/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by dani1luv: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
First angry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Raydos: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
The Poster Before Me Needs A Hot Slap embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Which Network Are You Using?

Is It 4g Or 10g embarassed

If You Don't Return My FTC Before 10hours, I Swear I'm Gon Surprise You.

I Mean I'm Gon Turn Your Two Testicles To Felele Ball embarassed embarassed embarassed

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by SurePresident: 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
grin grin grin End Time Car!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by dheolexaone(f): 6:54am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by don4real18(m): 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
a
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by veekid(m): 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
Our senators are ready; majority of Nigerians don't need a self driving car, we need food. Ok?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Codenister: 6:55am On Aug 25, 2016
Great innovation, but so sad it will put a lot of people put of job.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
So.....they can't build Cars that use water...abi...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Please, if you live in Benin City and
your father left the house today
putting on a blue shirt, white tie, black
trouser, in a black toyota prado with
Edo State plate number. Tell your
mum he cheated on her today. He gave a girl lift close to me and refused
to Epp me. Thank you .

88 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by gist4kidsblog: 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Slimflame(m): 6:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Ok
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by ojinuocheibi(m): 6:57am On Aug 25, 2016
i cannot risk my life and board such a taxi

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by datola: 6:57am On Aug 25, 2016
Self driven car? Hope not to be tested in Nigeria first.

Any compelling benefits of a car without a driver?

The whole thing looks like show off of technology.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by danbrowndmf(m): 6:58am On Aug 25, 2016
lordoseji:
Please, if your live in Benin City and your father left the house today putting on a blue shirt, white tie, black trouser, in a black toyota prado with Edo State plate number. Tell your mum he cheated on her today. He gave a girl lift close to me and refused to Epp me. Thank you .
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by photoshoot(m): 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016
dheolexaone:
Nice move

undecided did you read it?
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 25, 2016
Automation is the future, imagine a staff that don't have family problem,don't charge for over time , don't complain about working condition, don't have to go through intern, don't suffer haang over, @ AI will make make so many CV and years of experience useless soonest grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Elzends(m): 7:00am On Aug 25, 2016
Ok

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by a4jasper(m): 7:01am On Aug 25, 2016
lordoseji:
Please, if your live in Benin City and your father left the house today putting on a blue shirt, white tie, black trouser, in a black toyota prado with Edo State plate number. Tell your mum he cheated on her today. He gave a girl lift close to me and refused to Epp me. Thank you .
Loools......see Painment!!!

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Lincoln275(m): 7:02am On Aug 25, 2016
self driving car ? hmmmm
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by inkrey: 7:02am On Aug 25, 2016
dheolexaone:
Nice move
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by gbadexy(m): 7:02am On Aug 25, 2016
lordoseji:
Please, if your live in Benin City and
your father left the house today
putting on a blue shirt, white tie, black
trouser, in a black toyota prado with
Edo State plate number. Tell your
mum he cheated on her today. He gave a girl lift close to me and refused
to Epp me. Thank you .
Creatively cray people everywhere grin.
I read that each car would be staffed with an engineer to take over wheels when necessary and also a copilot.
Am I missing something?

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by blingxx(m): 7:03am On Aug 25, 2016
toposi4naija:
So.....they can't build Cars that use water...abi...

guy.... which state u come from? undecided
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Izonpikin: 7:03am On Aug 25, 2016
Let them not try it in Nigeria ooo...hold up and danfo drivers would spoil the cars.... cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 25, 2016
Is it going to be cheaper? Those greedy bastards_ charge me an arm and a leg for even a mile undecided
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by lurdkriss: 7:04am On Aug 25, 2016
This kind car no fit work for naija undecided
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 7:05am On Aug 25, 2016
For naija road
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by SweetJoystick(m): 7:08am On Aug 25, 2016
Self driven cars won't work in Nigeria at the moment. However, Uber partnership is already congested in Nigeria, they are trying to survive at the moment
Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by kunlesehan(m): 7:08am On Aug 25, 2016
veekid:
Our senators are ready; majority of Nigerians don't need a self driving car, we need food. Ok?
You can say that again

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Nobody: 7:08am On Aug 25, 2016
gbadexy:

Creatively cray people everywhere grin.
I read that each car would be staffed with an engineer to take over wheels when necessary and also a copilot.
Am I missing something?
quote the op pls or cc the company moniker

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Are You Ready? Uber Launches Self-driving Cars This Month by Ikigia: 7:11am On Aug 25, 2016
Good and Bad

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / Best 20W50 Engine Oil / Elon Musk And Tesla Settle SEC Fraud Case For $40m,Will Resign As Tesla Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.