Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Closed - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Closed (80041 Views)

5 Sounds That Signal Your Car Needs Auto Repairs Immediately / Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers / Its A/C Season Again, Lets Share Problems And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Closed by cockoduck: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2016
9icetoo:
the issue with mine is that it works intermittently. on cool days and early mornings or late evening, it works but doesn't cool as well as it should. I have changed compressor and replaced a leaking low pressure hose but the problem persists.
its an automatic compressor and I'm considering changing it to a manual compressor but not the usual Peugeot compressor.
it never works on a hot day. there is gas in the system.
I have also replaced condenser.
there is power supply to the compressor as the system is fed with 12 volts which the Ac guy verified with a light bulb tester but even with power supply, I don't get any cooling whatsoever on a hot day.
the radiator and condenser fans work as well.
car is Skoda Octavia with the annoying sanden compressor.
any pointers?
Expansion valve may be stuck or defective, especially if it is the T Expansion valve type
Re: Closed by cockoduck: 11:11am On Aug 28, 2016
Teeboy06:
I just get Toyota sienna Nigeria used and the a c not chilling at all , just blowing fan and I took it to Ac repairer and refill the gas for me and it was chilling after a week it started blowing ordinary fan again and I took it to the same guy again and he said my evaporator is bad and charge me #40,000 and I smell foul and asked him to leave it.please advice me.thanks
hahahahahahahha it leaking the gas out, and if it happens in a week then it is a big leak.

1 Like

Re: Closed by MrJames007: 6:14pm On Aug 28, 2016
Sir my own is blowing warm air o. My transmission was faulty and needed replacement. Before the replacement the thing was blowing cold air(it was ok). After the whole work, 1 week after I must have taken my car from the workshop, I decided to use the aircon when it started raining. When I put it on it started blowing warm air. When I got home I put it on again and checked the compressor and I noticed it didn't engage. I started tracing the power supply wire to the compressor and noticed it had cut. I traced its connection from the MG Clutch relay and connected it back. It engages now but it's still blowing warm air.
Please sir tell me it's not the compressor because it just can't go bad after replacing a transmission. Could it be gas? I want to have an idea before my mechanics empty my account for a fix. It's a 2004 MDX.
Re: Closed by cockoduck: 9:07pm On Aug 28, 2016
MrJames007:
Sir my own is blowing warm air o. My transmission was faulty and needed replacement. Before the replacement the thing was blowing cold air(it was ok). After the whole work, 1 week after I must have taken my car from the workshop, I decided to use the aircon when it started raining. When I put it on it started blowing warm air. When I got home I put it on again and checked the compressor and I noticed it didn't engage. I started tracing the power supply wire to the compressor and noticed it had cut. I traced its connection from the MG Clutch relay and connected it back. It engages now but it's still blowing warm air.
Please sir tell me it's not the compressor because it just can't go bad after replacing a transmission. Could it be gas? I want to have an idea before my mechanics empty my account for a fix. It's a 2004 MDX.
low on gas, but you must vacuum the system first before charging it with freon, it will also help you to know if there is a leak somewhere. So you must go to a technician that knows about vacuuming and has the equipment to do so. You must ask them first!
Re: Closed by MrJames007: 9:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
cockoduck:
low on gas, but you must vacuum the system first before charging it with freon, it will also help you to know if there is a leak somewhere. So you must go to a technician that knows about vacuuming and has the equipment to do so. You must ask them first!

Thanks for the response. Please may I have an idea of the cost for recharging. Haven't refilled it before. And vacuum, how much should I expect. Thanks again.
Re: Closed by cockoduck: 11:28pm On Aug 28, 2016
MrJames007:

Thanks for the response. Please may I have an idea of the cost for recharging. Haven't refilled it before. And vacuum, how much should I expect. Thanks again.
it depends on location, I am not even in Nigeria, but you should contact the OP he is in Lagos
Re: Closed by chris81964(m): 11:08am On Aug 30, 2016
Ooops sorry. Would love to delete. Not learnt how to do so yet
Re: Closed by moyoz(m): 7:07am On Aug 31, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
Hard tubing and flexible hoses connect all the actual components of the air conditioning in your car. Evaporation and condensation, expansion and compression are the physics of why it works. There are five main components to the whole system, namely the Compressor, Condenser, Receiver-dryer, Expansion valve, and the Evaporator.

The fluid that passes around the whole system is the refrigerant. The refrigerant can evaporate at a low temperature, and then condense again at a higher pressure. In the bad old days, R-12 was the refrigerant used in almost all cars. It was widely available, however it was found to be a contributor to the hole in the earth's ozone layer as it was a chlorofluorocarbon (CFC). These refrigerants were discontinued, and all cars after 1996 use a non-CFC fluid called R-134A which is kinder to the environment.

So, here is how all the various parts of a car's air conditioning works:

Compressor: The compressor is the work horse of the air conditioning system,  powered by a drive belt connected to the crankshaft of the engine. When the aircon system is turned on, the compressor pumps refrigerant vapour under high pressure to the condenser.

Condenser: The condenser is a device used to change the high-pressure refrigerant vapor to a liquid. It is mounted in front of the engine's radiator, and it looks very similar to a radiator. The vapour is condensed to a liquid because of the high pressure that is driving it in, and this generates a great deal of heat. The heat is then in turn removed from the condenser by air flowing through the condenser on the outside.

Receiver: The now liquid refrigerant moves to the receiver-dryer. This is a small reservoir vessel for the liquid refrigerant, and removes any moisture that may have leaked into the refrigerant. Moisture in the system causes havoc, with ice crystals causing blockages and mechanical damage.

Expansion Valve: The pressurised refrigerant flows from the receiver-drier to the expansion valve. The valve removes pressure from the liquid refrigerant so that it can expand and become refrigerant vapour in the evaporator.

Evaporator: The evaporator is another device that looks similar to a car radiator. It has tubes and fins and is usually mounted inside the passenger compartment behind the fascia above the footwell. As the cold low-pressure refrigerant is passed into the evaporator, it vaporises and absorbs heat from the air in the passenger compartment. The blower fan inside the passenger compartment pushes air over the outside of the evaporator, so cold air is circulated inside the car. On the 'air-side' of the evaporator, the moisture in the air is reduced, and the 'condensate' is collected and drained away.

Compressor: The compressor then draws in the low-pressure refrigerant vapour to start another refrigeration cycle. The refrigeration cycle then runs continuously, and is regulated by the setting of the expansion valve.

The whole process is reasonably simple when explained like that. All air conditioning systems work on the same principle, even if the exact components used may vary slightly between car manufacturers.

Link: airconcars.com/html/how_it_works.html

Please am using toyota 2004, my Compressor is getting hot after few minute I on the AC, i also realize the gas doesn't last more than a month when I filled it
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:14am On Aug 31, 2016
moyoz:

Please am using toyota 2004, my Compressor is getting hot after few minute I on the AC, i also realize the gas doesn't last more than a month when I filled it

Primarily you have a leak. 2. Compressors are supposed to get hot when in operation. Check high and low side pressures and upload the values here. Expansion valve might be chocked, or a blocked passage within piping or from dryer/receiver.
Re: Closed by cockoduck: 1:45pm On Aug 31, 2016
moyoz:

minimum of gas refilling should be THREE years, anything less is due to leakages
Re: Closed by lakefist(m): 5:22pm On Aug 31, 2016
Please answer my question. Can a compressor be repaired?
Re: Closed by cockoduck: 9:21pm On Aug 31, 2016
lakefist:
nope

1 Like

Re: Closed by lakefist(m): 8:46am On Sep 01, 2016
cockoduck:
nope

Thanks.
Re: Closed by adanny01(m): 8:51am On Sep 01, 2016
cockoduck:
nope

Why no, I have seen compressor repairs a lot of times. Mechanics usually tell you these parts are not repairable only to repair after you dump it and sell to the next unsuspecting customer. That's the same story they give with power steering pumps. Sometimes they actually don't know it is repairable because of their limited knowledge.

4 Likes

Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:04am On Sep 01, 2016
lakefist:

depends on the work to be done.

Clutch/coils can be replaced

Seals can be replaced

Bearings can be replaced

So I would say YES a compressor can be fixed to work efficiently.
Re: Closed by salvo583: 7:03am On Sep 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

problem sounds like a dirty cabin filter. When was the last time you replaced or washed it? (there are washable types)
I checked the cabin filter at the technician's, it was all dirty,damped and torn. Thanks bruv
Re: Closed by lakefist(m): 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2016
adanny01:

Why no, I have seen compressor repairs a lot of times. Mechanics usually tell you these parts are not repairable only to repair after you dump it and sell to the next unsuspecting customer. That's the same story they give with power steering pumps. Sometimes they actually don't know it is repairable because of their limited knowledge.

Thanks bro that means i still have hope. My compressor is marked with 7B10w. I don't know if thats the serial number or the model.
Re: Closed by lakefist(m): 2:11pm On Sep 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

depends on the work to be done.

Clutch/coils can be replaced

Seals can be replaced

Bearings can be replaced

So I would say YES a compressor can be fixed to work efficiently.

Thanks but getting people that can fix it is another thing. I really feel it can be fixed.
Re: Closed by tegbeyemi01: 8:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Compressor is frozen solid sad

New compressor
Dryer receiver
Expansion valve
Possible new discharge pipes
Preferably new condenser.
Finally changed d compressor and dryer reciever..it worked well for some days.. But today it started giving inconsistent temperature.. Sometimes cool sometimes hot. You knoe normally when the ac is running the compressor goes on and off..but this time, instead of the Compressor to go on and off consistently nd effectively, the compressor goes off for an unsually long time, making it blow warm air.. It can now come on later o, after a long while.. Which is not meant to b..it happens mostly during the hot weather, altho it happens sumtyms too wen cool..pls help nd advice
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
tegbeyemi01:

Finally changed d compressor and dryer reciever..it worked well for some days.. But today it started giving inconsistent temperature.. Sometimes cool sometimes hot. You knoe normally when the ac is running the compressor goes on and off..but this time, instead of the Compressor to go on and off consistently nd effectively, the compressor goes off for an unsually long time, making it blow warm air.. It can now come on later o, after a long while.. Which is not meant to b..it happens mostly during the hot weather, altho it happens sumtyms too wen cool..pls help nd advice

check compressor oil colour.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:26pm On Sep 02, 2016
tegbeyemi01:
@gazzuz i drive a nissan almera 1999. D ac used to work perfectly since i bought it until some days ago, i put on d ac and ut hooks d engine till it goes off.. I noticed if i put it on nd d compressor tries to roll, it makes d engine stop thru stopping d fan belt.. Then i tried to check d gas pipe, pining it with an object to check there was gas there, to my surprise a black watery substance was coming out.. My kazeem says i need a new compressor.. Just want to confirm whats up sir..

System was contaminated. I recommended
GAZZUZZ:

[color=#990000]Compressor is frozen solid sad
New compressor
Dryer receiver
Expansion valve
Possible new discharge pipes
Preferably new condenser.
[/color]
Re: Closed by 9icetoo(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

what are the low and high side pressures when a.c is turned on?

the pressure on the low side fluctuates BTW 65 and 70 psi.
the gauge on the high side was not functioning.
will get the pressure from another Ac tech later.
one thing I noticed was that when the Ac tech let off some gas from the low pressure pipe, the Ac started cooling but was still working intermittently.
I know we put in a can and half (estimated) of harp gas in the system after replacing the compressor two months ago.
is it overcharged?

my system calls for 550 grams of gas and a can of harp gas weighs 340 grams.
I plan to evacuate the whole gas and use a weighing scale to weigh the gas I put in next time.
will schedule a meeting with piyke to use him vacuum pump before that though.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:36pm On Sep 04, 2016
9icetoo:

one thing I noticed was that when the Ac tech let off some gas from the low pressure pipe, the Ac started cooling but was still working intermittently.
I know we put in a can and half (estimated) of harp gas in the system after replacing the compressor two months ago.
is it overcharged?

I plan to evacuate the whole gas and use a weighing scale to weigh the gas I put in next time.

I doubt you will get any cooling with those values, equipment must have faulty calibration.

Here's a pic of a functional a.c

25psi low 190psi high

Check equipment.

Re: Closed by Piyke: 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
9icetoo:

is it overcharged?

Low side pressure of 65-75 if the compressor is engaged is quite high. I can't say if its over charged because there's no high side reading. My advise will be to have the pressures of both sides read. With the 2 values the problem would be clearer. Also minimise the use of the AC for now, just as a caution to prevent compressor damage
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2016
9icetoo:

is it overcharged?

pressure with compressor not engaged about 70-75psi low side. (first pic)

Pressure with a.c engaged low side (2nd pic)

Vehicle with a.c functioning perfectly.

Re: Closed by mogreen22: 2:12pm On Sep 06, 2016
@ GAZZUZZ . Good afternoon Sir, i would just try to shorten this as much as i can. I drive a honda civic 02. Been having issues with ac leak. Changed compressors, expansion valve, drier, evaporator still it leaks in 40days. Happened twice already and i recorded the days after i recharged it with gas. Seeing as i practically spent my nysc allowee on the ac, i Researched on how to find leaks cos my ac guy is definitely kazeem. Saw the dye test, ordered one. Its here, came with the torch and safety glasses but no manual on how to use it. So can i come over and you help me check it or we use your own kits to spot the leaks. What's your quote for dye test, please the ac is still cooling now and it would be good to have it done asap so I don't have to spend to recharge it again. Also do you vaccum??
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:52pm On Sep 06, 2016
mogreen22:
@ GAZZUZZ . Good afternoon Sir, i would just try to shorten this as much as i can. I drive a honda civic 02. Been having issues with ac leak. Changed compressors, expansion valve, drier, evaporator still it leaks in 40days. Happened twice already and i recorded the days after i recharged it with gas. Seeing as i practically spent my nysc allowee on the ac, i Researched on how to find leaks cos my ac guy is definitely kazeem. Saw the dye test, ordered one. Its here, came with the torch and safety glasses but no manual on how to use it. So can i come over and you help me check it or we use your own kits to spot the leaks. What's your quote for dye test, please the ac is still cooling now and it would be good to have it done asap so I don't have to spend to recharge it again. Also do you vaccum??

Upload pics of the equipment you currently have, and I will guide you on how to use it.

I have a vacuum and I use it when necessary.

For a quote contact me privately. 08033910382 (whatsapp)
Re: Closed by bimppyola: 8:05am On Sep 07, 2016
chukel:
Following

Following
Re: Closed by vycee01: 11:36am On Sep 07, 2016
Dear Op or anyone

Please how much is a condenser for Toyota camry 1999, I want to be informed before these mechanics scam the living daylight out of me. Please help
Re: Closed by Resido: 4:49pm On Sep 07, 2016
@Gazzuzz. I drive a camry 2003. The passenger AC vent blows colder air than the drivers side. Please what can the problem be?
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:25pm On Sep 07, 2016
Resido:
@Gazzuzz. I drive a camry 2003. The passenger AC vent blows colder air than the drivers side. Please what can the problem be?

when engine idle, or at all times? If at all times, you are low on Gas, which could be caused by a leak, leak is normal if vehicle a.c has been in use for a long time e.g I used my honda city 2007 from 2008-2014 without re-filling gas. If it is a recurrent problem you have an unresolved leak, which could be from the pipes, joints,compressor, or evaporator.
Re: Closed by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:26pm On Sep 07, 2016
vycee01:
Dear Op or anyone

Please how much is a condenser for Toyota camry 1999, I want to be informed before these mechanics scam the living daylight out of me. Please help

12-35k (new) depending on source, and quality of part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Innoson Replies @chaniee_bob, Lady Who Made Designs With Farouq's New Logo / Weird Toyota Camry Spotted In Edo State (Photos) / Innoson Not Using Farouq Osuolale's New Logo Now. Gives Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.