Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria (1384 Views)

Best Way Of Getting Available Government Grants And Loans For Agriculture In Nig / 6 Acres Of Land For Sale Can Be Used For Agriculture, Resident Or Commercial.... / Problems Of Agriculture In Nigeria And Possible Solution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by xij38580: 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2016
One thing Uber did was to lower the cost of venturing into the taxi business lower for people. For instance before Uber arrival, an individual would need to understand how cars work, deal with drivers that won't keep to agreements on how much to deliver per week and lots of other issues. This prevented lots of people from getting involved in that sector. However, Uber came and reduced this problems by providing a convenient and transparent collection model, drive vetting process and even car loan schemes.

I would like to find out is there a model like this available for agriculture? Where all I have to do is provide the funding and the company takes care of the rest and provides me with the commission.

Am aware that there are private individuals doing this sort of business, however, credibility remains a big issue.

A business around this model is a win-win for owners of funds and farmers alike. It means more money for the farmers to expand , better food security for everyone, more employments and finally capital appreciation for fund owners.

3 Likes

Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by Wildcards(m): 7:10pm On Aug 25, 2016
You've raised some very valid points here.
However, the peculiar challenges in Agribusiness sometimes limit the extent to which certain things can be done.

That being said, you rightly mentioned that "some private individuals are doing its sort of business (it's called 'contract farming' by the way) while credibility remains an issue". There are several of them on Nairaland here, but my personal experiences with @Jasper7 means I can vouch for him anyday. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be throwing his contract farming schemes open to the public anymore. So maybe we can get enought people to appeal to him (and the likes of @Hotmas911, @Jethro, @world1, @Lesgupnigeria, etc both online and offline, to work together in order to create a veritable contract farming and/or investment platform for AS MANY people as are willing to participate.

Cheers!!!
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by xij38580: 10:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
Wildcards:
You've raised some very valid points here.
However, the peculiar challenges in Agribusiness sometimes limit the extent to which certain things can be done.
That being said, you rightly mentioned that "some private individuals are doing its sort of business (it's called 'contract farming' by the way) while credibility remains an issue". There are several of them on Nairaland here, but my personal experiences with @Jasper7 means I can vouch for him anyday. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be throwing his contract farming schemes open to the public anymore. So maybe we can get enought people to appeal to him (and the likes of @Hotmas911, @Jethro, @world1, @Lesgupnigeria, etc both online and offline, to work together in order to create a veritable contract farming and/or investment platform for AS MANY people as are willing to participate.
Cheers!!!

Thank you for teaching me a new term. Overtime, I've learnt to always choose institutions over individuals. Generally speaking, businesses ought to outlive people. I would like to see something like a publicly traded agriculture fund where proceeds go directly into investment in farmers and agriculture. Nigeria is all about diversification theses days, however, diversification for it to happen would require some big numbers which most small farms might not be able to produce given the skill and capital requirement.

Thanks !!!

1 Like

Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by shiftmarket(m): 12:39pm On Aug 26, 2016
Some guys now form co operative society to do what you are suggesting. Maybe we can work on a model that will be involved in agricultural processing industry, I feel that is where people who do not want to be directly involved in agriculture can invest in. That way, the raw materials that will soon be in surplus from next year because of the number of people who have gone into farming this year can be harnessed and processed before being sold

2 Likes

Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by jasper7(m): 1:02pm On Aug 26, 2016
xij38580:

Thank you for teaching me a new term. Overtime, I've learnt to always choose institutions over individuals. Generally speaking, businesses ought to outlive people. I would like to see something like a publicly traded agriculture fund where proceeds go directly into investment in farmers and agriculture. Nigeria is all about diversification theses days, however, diversification for it to happen would require some big numbers which most small farms might not be able to produce given the skill and capital requirement.

Thanks !!!
Your submission makes sense but is a bit flawed... Individuals build institutions. If Nigerians don't invest in individuals How do you think such institutions will be established

1 Like

Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by xij38580: 1:26am On Aug 27, 2016
shiftmarket:
Some guys now form co operative society to do what you are suggesting. Maybe we can work on a model that will be involved in agricultural processing industry, I feel that is where people who do not want to be directly involved in agriculture can invest in. That way, the raw materials that will soon be in surplus from next year because of the number of people who have gone into farming this year can be harnessed and processed before being sold

Very true. This is quite a different perspective, going down this route would prevent wastage and ensure the farmer continues to produce. Am interested in exploring this. How do we explore this ?

jasper7:

Your submission makes sense but is a bit flawed... Individuals build institutions. If Nigerians don't invest in individuals How do you think such institutions will be established

True that individuals make up institutions
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by Ademat7(m): 9:18am On Aug 27, 2016
this is a very good idea if we can challenge ourselves beyond our comfort zone.
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by Pavore9: 10:23am On Aug 27, 2016
It is individuals that triggers this model. I know for certain that there are many who have the funds but looking for credible platforms to invest into.
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by harems1: 3:20pm On Aug 27, 2016
Hi xij38580
xij38580:
One thing Uber did was to lower the cost of venturing into the taxi business lower for people. For instance before Uber arrival, an individual would need to understand how cars work, deal with drivers that won't keep to agreements on how much to deliver per week and lots of other issues. This prevented lots of people from getting involved in that sector. However, Uber came and reduced this problems by providing a convenient and transparent collection model, drive vetting process and even car loan schemes.
I would like to find out is there a model like this available for agriculture? Where all I have to do is provide the funding and the company takes care of the rest and provides me with the commission.
Am aware that there are private individuals doing this sort of business, however, credibility remains a big issue.
A business around this model is a win-win for owners of funds and farmers alike. It means more money for the farmers to expand , better food security for everyone, more employments and finally capital appreciation for fund owners.

Yes there is a model like that of Uber available in agriculture even far better that Uber with a great returns in profit in just 10-11month, Agriculture is the only way forward for Nigeria now. please invest your cash in Agriculture. Harvest in just 10-11month with millions in profit. Anyone interested to invest in farming you can reply back here for everyone to benefit or email: harems1@yahoo.com.
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by shiftmarket(m): 12:01pm On Aug 30, 2016
I think this is something, a group of like minds can come together and work on. It is an opportunity that if properly harnessed will yield the good returns, however the problem of power still exist, although I think one can manage that aspect with renewable energy.
xij38580:

Very true. This is quite a different perspective, going down this route would prevent wastage and ensure the farmer continues to produce. Am interested in exploring this. How do we explore this ?

True that individuals make up institutions
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by Emempaul(m): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2016
Then lets put all legal modalities in place and push idea to become a reality or wat do we think
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by xij38580: 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2016
shiftmarket:
I think this is something, a group of like minds can come together and work on. It is an opportunity that if properly harnessed will yield the good returns, however the problem of power still exist, although I think one can manage that aspect with renewable energy.

I agree renewable energy would be definitely come in handy. But I really doubt if most food processing machines would be energy efficient.
Re: Uber's Model For Agriculture In Nigeria by shiftmarket(m): 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2016
Most machines are large consumers of energy, however i still think if properly designed can utilise renewable energy
xij38580:

I agree renewable energy would be definitely come in handy. But I really doubt if most food processing machines would be energy efficient.

(1) (Reply)

Vaccination Program Of Poutry Birds / How To Keep Squirrel Off Vegetable Garden.. / Starting Mini Exportation Of Nigerian Foodstuffs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.