Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,367 members, 7,808,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This (85398 Views)

Canada Desperate To Stop Nigerians From Coming To The Country-SR / I Planned Travel To China For Studies. / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Obiwannn: 7:19pm On Aug 26, 2016
BiafraBushBoy:

I have a problems of Transcript...

the uni I attended here doesn't give out Transcripts to students...

And in some online applications, we need to upload our transcript... how do I do it?

I need to pay 40,000 to my school to post it to another school in Germany. my fear is what if they reject my admission application, my money is gone.

Easy look for someone working in ur exam and records department and wet him hand..

Or look for a Corper working in any of the exam and records department or PG school of any University in Nigeria send it there and again wet him hand...

Or some embassies require or certify transcripts. You can send it to them and get it back later

Or ask your Department to give you a STUDENT COPY of your transcript. Then you take it to a high court and certify it. You can then upload that.

5 Likes

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Obiwannn: 7:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
bikat:

Nah, your score will be low. You can start applyn for a Job in Canada until you get one or come up wt work experience, na u knw how u go do am but you will need something

Start applying for jobs? I dont understand you biko
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by junnyjake(m): 7:28pm On Aug 26, 2016
shinarambo1:

Hispanics are good for medical courses. Alot of canadians study in medicine in the carribeans and some english speaking south american countries..but they end up practising in the US after grad. why they go to those countries is another story for another day.

Wow, wonderful insights.

For me studying engineering, I've heard people advicing me to opt for India instead, I even had a friend in year 1 then leaving us to India.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by ericmor: 7:36pm On Aug 26, 2016
Some of my friends did their masters program in the UK and they are still there doing very very well that even one came home 2month ago and we role together before he left.

It all depends

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 26, 2016
junnyjake:

Wow, wonderful insights.

For me studying engineering, I've heard people advicing me to opt for India instead, I even had a friend in year 1 then leaving us to India.
i dont know much about india though. i believe they are good for IT courses.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by guiddoti: 7:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
justwise:

They are not valued the same..that is the point i'm trying to make
Oga justwise, can you tell us more? am some-what surprise that a point based can be ranking different marks for an equivalent MSc of different countries.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by dustydee: 7:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
Sanchase:
@ the bolded, the minimum number of years that gives you the opportunity for Permanent residency in the UK as a foreigner is 10 years and in some cases 20 years.

Where was it you saw[b] 7 years[/b] ?

The new law is even more strict and the minimum duration could have gone up more by now.

I wonder where you and pedagogue pulled your figures from but I know you can get ILR in 5 years.

You can apply if you have a Tier 2 (General) visa
Check if you meet the requirements for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).

Eligibility
You can apply if:

you have a Tier 2 (General) visa
you’ve been living and working in the UK for 5 years and spent no more than 180 days outside the UK in any 12 months (‘continuous residence’)
your employer (sponsor) still needs you for your job
your job pays £35,000 or more (unless you’re exempt from the ‘minimum earnings threshold’)
you get paid the relevant salary listed in the Codes of Practice

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y/you-have-a-work-visa/tier-2-general-visa

I'll you refrain from making statements of facts if you are not sure.
On the issue of not having enough time to apply for jobs, if between January and April you haven't gotten a job offer (for those that started their masters in September of the previous year) then it is going to be difficult to get one after that. One major problem I Nigerians have is that they believe there are no jobs even before coming. This, I believe, hampers their job search. It's a mind thing. PSW was stopped before I graduated but at least 3 of us in my class got jobs with visa sponsorship (2 Nigerians and 1 Ugandan). My spouse also got a job with visa sponsorship. There are a lot of companies that sponsor work visas and some end up not filling those vacancies. The govt has made it more difficult to hire foriegn non-EU workers but it is still possible if you prepare and sell yourself properly.

6 Likes

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 26, 2016
dustydee:

I wonder where you and pedagogue pulled your figures from but I know you can get ILR in 5 years.

Check if you meet the requirements for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).

On the issue of not having enough time to apply for jobs, if between January and April you haven't gotten a job offer (for those that started their masters in September of the previous year) then it is going to be difficult to get one after that. One major problem I Nigerians have is that they believe there are no jobs even before coming. This, I believe, hampers their job search. It's a mind thing. PSW was stopped before I graduated but at least 3 of us in my class got jobs with visa sponsorship (2 Nigerians and 1 Ugandan). My spouse also got a job with visa sponsorship. There are a lot of companies that sponsor work visas and some end up not filling those vacancies. The govt has made it more difficult to hire foriegn non-EU workers but it is still possible if you prepare and sell yourself properly.
Thank you my dear sister. This is one of the things i was emphasizing. A friend also got a job with one of the top 4 consulting firms this year just after grad. Her wife (a physio) came on a dependent visa, quickly wrote her qualifying exams and also got a job with NHS...the funny was that the wife got the job before her husband graduated last year and nhs sponsored her. I know people say its tough. Who knows maybe they were just lucky.

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by guiddoti: 7:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
ericmor:
Some of my friends did their masters program in the UK and they are still there doing very very well that even one came home 2month ago and we role together before he left.

It all depends
I guess your friend had his before or between 2011 and 2012. The, then, two years post study hasn't been revoked.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Kvdag(m): 7:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
Good day house, let me just chip in my little experiece, I think the OP is right. I was in the UK for 7 years, was lucky enough to be among the last set to get PSW visa for 2 year until Thresa May started her wahala. I had to return back to nigeria after the expiration of my 2 years visa cos I couldnt renew nor change into any other immigration category.just before you guys start advising on getting married to a briton or so, I tried that as well, I cant recollete how much I lost during the process. You see that's why I believe information is always powerful, I wish I knew about other countries that I could easiy study and stay back to work. To make matters worst, I had to convice my girlfriend to come do her master's in the UK as well thinking she would get the 2 years PWS to work. But for where, we both back in nigeria now. Thank God for her she's got a job unlike me still submitting applications daily. I just wish I knew. I cant even remember the street I stayed back in London again. So my candid advise, if your intention is to go staudy abroad to stay back, pls and pls dont waste ya money going to the UK. Canada or Austaria is a much more better destination for you unless you be politician pikin. Still suffering from my mistake. I came back to nigeria a day to the expiration of my visa cos I really dont wanna over stay so I can easily go back in future. So tired of Nigeria right now.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Chimezirim121: 7:54pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is very bad of UK

3 Likes

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 7:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
awelekiti:
It's a lie! I know of 2 of my friends who got their jobs permit visa while in Nigeria. They actually got a job in Canada from here before they left. One of my cousins just left for Canada through same means in May. He was working with one of the old generation banks before he left. If the Canadian companies need your service, they'll hire you wherever you are in the world, provided your background suits the position you're applying for.
Wow, you don't mean it shocked
OK quick question
Do you by any means know which province in Canada will be ideal for a single person with tons of IT skills
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by ferhyntorlah(f): 7:59pm On Aug 26, 2016
8BitGee:
Hear hear. There can be nothing more factual. I know my people won't listen sha. I didn't too.

What makes coming to the UK attractive to Nigerians is the simple admission process, no English language tests or GRE. If you're qualified, you'll be admitted.

I know what usually runs through Nigerians minds when you advise them not to come is, "he is in the UK enjoying, look at how fat his cheeks have become and he's telling me not to come. Wicked boy".

Exactly!
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by silentdude(m): 7:59pm On Aug 26, 2016
dustydee:

Thanks for boosting our confidence to some of us here.
plz what was ur course of study if I may ask?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 26, 2016
bikat:

If you have an MSc, ur chances are high provided you have the right age, work experience, English score and if your spouse also have a BSc, good age and work experience then u are likely to get it. Remember you also need to have the required amount of money in your bank statement
What are the chances of single female?
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 26, 2016
Kvdag:
Good day house, let me just chip in my little experiece, I think the OP is right. I was in the UK for 7 years, was lucky enough to be among the last set to get PSW visa for 2 year until Thresa May started her wahala. I had to return back to nigeria after the expiration of my 2 years visa cos I couldnt renew nor change into any other immigration category.just before you guys start advising on getting married to a briton or so, I tried that as well, I cant recollete how much I lost during the process. You see that's why I believe information is always powerful, I wish I knew about other countries that I could easiy study and stay back to work. To make matters worst, I had to convice my girlfriend to come do her master's in the UK as well thinking she would get the 2 years PWS to work. But for where, we both back in nigeria now. Thank God for her she's got a job unlike me still submitting applications daily. I just wish I knew. I cant even remember the street I stayed back in London again. So my candid advise, if your intention is to go staudy abroad to stay back, pls and pls dont waste ya money going to the UK. Canada or Austaria is a much more better destination for you unless you be politician pikin. Still suffering from my mistake. I came back to nigeria a day to the expiration of my visa cos I really dont wanna over stay so I can easily go back in future. So tired of Nigeria right now.
tough luck
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Sanchase: 8:07pm On Aug 26, 2016
Your statement just changed, now you mentioned "If you hold a tier 2 visa", it's different from my comment.

My comment reflects on general legal UK residents who contribute to the UK economy either by Skill or dependency, it's important not to mix the two.

dustydee:

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by guiddoti: 8:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
I can still imagine guys paying £17500 for tuition fee, and we still return home after 16 months. Abeg carry your money go Canada or Australia ooo. Except your money is plucked on a 'money tree' abi naw 'polithiefian' money'

2 Likes

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Jethrolite(m): 8:10pm On Aug 26, 2016
bikat:

Lol, kiss Nigeria and the hard life goodbye. You are right, some people are not doing M.sc degree because they love education. Its a means of xcape from Buhari's Gov lol.

Lol
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by LagosismyHome(f): 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
shinarambo1:

Thank you my dear sister. This is one of the things i was emphasizing. A friend also got a job with one of the top 4 consulting firms this year just after grad. Her wife (a physio) came on a dependent visa, quickly wrote her qualifying exams and also got a job with NHS...the funny was that the wife got the job before her husband graduated last year and nhs sponsored her. I know people say its tough. Who knows maybe they were just lucky.

The Nhs sponsor work visa quite often for certain fields .... quite common . Other places not common
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by LagosismyHome(f): 8:23pm On Aug 26, 2016
guiddoti:
I can still imagine guys paying £17500 for tuition fee, and we still return home after 16 months. Abeg carry your money go Canada or Australia ooo. Except your money is plucked on a 'money tree' abi naw 'polithiefian' money'

It doesnt make any sense especially with the current exchange rate .....i am amazed that people are still coming to Uk , all the system will do is take from you and throw u out

3 Likes

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by tunene66: 8:24pm On Aug 26, 2016
Nulasco:
True fact. After spending over £12000 for Masters still you wouldnt be allow for PSW. I know people doing their second Msc in uk just hoping things would work out. The all come home looking for jobs. I don't know why people still go to uk for study and think they can stay after to work. Have never encountered a Germany, Australia, Usa or canada graduate coming back to nigeria not to talk of lookin for job so far he/she graduate with a good result and a relevant degree there's always opportunity that can't be said with Uk graduates. If u lookin for greener pasture abroad after study dont go to uk.

I know of people who did master's in USA who came back to naija looking for job o

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
shinarambo1:

Hispanics are good for medical courses. Alot of canadians study in medicine in the carribeans and some english speaking south american countries..but they end up practising in the US after grad. why they go to those countries is another story for another day.

Please can you share the reason behind this move by Canadians? I asked because I have heard about it and wonder why. Thanks
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
Obiwannn:

Easy look for someone working in ur exam and records department and wet him hand..

Or look for a Corper working in any of the exam and records department or PG school of any University in Nigeria send it there and again wet him hand...

Or some embassies require or certify transcripts. You can send it to them and get it back later

Or ask your Department to give you a STUDENT COPY of your transcript. Then you take it to a high court and certify it. You can then upload that.

The bolded is the right step to take.
Every school is supposed to give graduating student a copy of their transcript for personal keeps.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 26, 2016
ferhyntorlah:

Please can you share the reason behind this move by Canadians? I asked because I have heard about it and wonder why. Thanks
There are only 17 medical schools in canada. These schools admit an average of 100 students annually. The students are selected via very competitive methods. Students usually have at least a first degree, years of volunteering experience, excellent high school grades and degree grades. There are interviews usually about 3 before an offer of admission is given.

As it becomes very difficult to become a doctor due to stiff competition (they make at least $250k annually), alot of student move to carribean uni's that have affiliations with american hospitals, so they easily get a residency match after graduation and subsequently permanent jobs in the US.

They all love to come back home to canada after grad, but they are classified as IMG(international medicine grad) which makes it more difficult for them to practice in canada due to tough evaluation exams and matching requirements. Doctors in the US also make more money than in canada, so there is no motivation for them to come back. 2 of my church members sent their kids to medical schools in the carribean last year. They both already hold biological sciences degree from canada. When they couldnt get into canadian medical schools, they relocated.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Infoay: 9:35pm On Aug 26, 2016
Very educating

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Obiwannn: 9:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
ferhyntorlah:

The bolded is the right step to take.
Every school is supposed to give graduating student a copy of their transcript for personal keeps.
some officials in these schools do not know this...and even if they do if you do not wet their hands then you are OYO.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
Obiwannn:
some officials in these schools do not know this...and even if they do if you do not wet their hands then you are OYO.
oau gives one, but it is useless as student's copy is stamped on all the pages.
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by emachij89: 10:02pm On Aug 26, 2016
Pls guys who can give me a genuine link of getting over to canada for a PhD program...affordable school though!
Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 26, 2016
emachij89:
Pls guys who can give me a genuine link of getting over to canada for a PhD program...affordable school though!
ask your question here

https://www.nairaland.com/3024188/travelling-canada-part-10/399

1 Like

Re: Before Applying Or Coming To The Uk For Studies: Beware Of This by julimaxy: 10:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
Firstly,You ONLY have to go back to your home country when your current leave to remain expires and you do not wish to apply to other visa routes.

Secondly,there are currently other visa routes, the main thing is planning way ahead of time in meeting the conditions for any of them and trust me there are a lot of people I know who met those conditions well within in a month or 2. The visa routes that I am aware of are;

The point-based routes such as :

A. Tier 1 - Highly Skilled Migrants - There are 3 categories I know;

1. Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa - This visa restricts you to establishing your own business or joining a new or existing business as a director. There are sub categories to this route: the £200,000 route or the £50,000 route and the Graduate Entrepreneur. You can only be employed by your business. Read the guidance below for further info;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/513958/T1__E__Guidance_04_2016.pdf

2. Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa - I only recently discovered that this is actually one of the easiest route. You need to be endorsed first before you can apply to this route. There are criteria you have to meet with regards to jobs/researches before you can be endorsed, then apply for this visa. This route offers you 5 years at a stretch and thereafter you can apply for permanent stay. it also allows you to be either self employed, employed, a contractor as long as your work/research is within the title/position you have been endorsed for. Read the guidance for further info; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/526652/T1__ET__Guidance_06_2016.pdf

3. Tier 1 Investor visa - This is for investors who are willing to invest minimum of £1 million in the UK. Read conditions here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/514081/T1__I__Guidance_04_2016.pdf

B. Tier 2 - 2 categories:

1. Tier 2 General visa - You will require a sponsorship certificate before you can apply via this route. So when you are offered a job here and your employers are willing to sponsor you; they would assign a certificate to you, which you would submit along with your application form and other required documents. There are conditions and restrictions on this visa route regarding, taking other employments, changing employer, sponsor licence being revoked or suspended, or being self employed. The set of people I'm aware of this route favours the most are doctors, nurses, Construction Engineers, and IT experts (eg, Designers, Programmers). Read the guidance for further info;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/514054/Tier_2_Policy_Guidance_04_2016.pdf

2. Tier 2 ICT (Intra-company Transfer) visa - you will require sponsorship certificate like the Tier 2 General and there are 4 sub-categories;

a. Long-term Staff - allows for transfer of more than 12 months, but your employer must first prove that the position cannot be filled by a new UK resident. And you need to have worked for your employer outside the UK for at least 12 months.

b. Short-term Staff – The same condition as "a"

c. Graduate Trainee -You need to be a recent graduate with at least 3 months’ experience with your employer outside the UK.

d. Skills Transfer - allows you to gain skills and knowledge needed to perform your duties outside the UK, or to pass on your skills to your UK colleagues.

Read the Guidance for further info ;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/514054/Tier_2_Policy_Guidance_04_2016.pdf

C . Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa - I do not know much about this route. However, you can read the guidance to find out more;
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/478078/2015_11_19_T5__TW__guidance_11-15.pdf

Non Point-Based routes such as:

1. The Spousal visa - if you can prove that you are a spouse/partner/civil partner of a UK settle person or a person who has been granted indefinite leave to remain as a refugee or on humanitarian protection, you can go through this route. Please Read :

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview

2. Dependant visa (EEA) - If you have a settled relative in the UK and you meet the conditions, you can apply via this route. Please Read ;

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/overview

3. Points Based System (Dependant) - If you have your spouse/partner who is currently in the UK on any of the point-based visas, you can apply as their dependant. Please read Guidance for further info;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/477216/PBS_dependant_guidance_11-15.pdf

------------------ DISCLAIMER ---------------------------------------
This is only an information and cannot be construed as an advice. so read the Guidance which you can find on the Home Office website and if possible consult a lawyer before making any decision/application.

Beware the guidance are usually updated from time to time, So ensure you are reading up-to-date Guidance.

Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Pictures From Owerri Bicycle Street Ride (photo) / Beautiful Pictures Of Abeokuta, Ogun State That Will Make You Love The City / 10 Reasons Why I'm Leaving America And Moving To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.