Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,990 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:35 AM

Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers (471 Views)

Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! / Understanding Timing In Job Search In Nigeria / 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:40am On Aug 26, 2016
Many will agree that few experiences in life are as frustrating as a job search. Looking for a job can be so time consuming that it can become a job in itself. No wonder the challenge of any job seeker is to stand out from the crowd and show employers that you can lead projects, teams or new initiatives better anyone else. Landing that job can mean more task, greater independence, opportunities to learn new skills and grow, increased confidence and satisfaction, and much more. If you plan a careful job search, you have a better chance of landing a good job. Follow these tips to make your job search a success.

BUILD AN ACTIVE AND ENGAGED NETWORK ON YOUR SIDE

Employers want to avoid adding any bad apples to their team. And, because of this fact, managers are far more likely to hire someone who comes with a recommendation. As an applicant with a referral supporting your qualifications and value as an employee, you have an immediate advantage. You are already blessed with the “halo effect” and all that comes with it-including the likelihood of overlooking a number of assumptions. A nod from a trusted employee, valued colleague or some other influential source will almost always land you at least a phone screen interview. The question that follows is how can you build a network of contacts that are in a position to provide you with that all-important nod of approval? In a world filled with Androids and iPhones, there is no excuse not to be in contact with someone you know regarding your search for a job. We now can Google a person and find their LinkedIn profile to get in contact with them and catch up on what they are doing. We hear it all the time, “it’s not what you know, it’s who you know,” that lands you the job. Now, your work experience and your skills do matter, but knowing someone who “may” know someone helps as well.

CREATE YOUR OWN TEMPLATES

Having build an active network on your side, have copies of your CV and cover letter ready to edit. That way you can change the content to match the requirements of the job you’re applying for, but the contact information and your opening and closing paragraphs won’t need to be changed. Microsoft users can download free templates for CVs, cover letters and email messages which can be personalized for your own correspondence. It is always a good idea to look at sample letters and CVs getting ideas for your own job search materials.

BROADEN YOUR ONLINE JOB SEARCH RESOURCES

Social networking sites like LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter can be a good way to get job listings before they are listed elsewhere. Plus, you can promote your candidacy using the social media tools that readily available for free for job seekers. Companies are increasingly using social media for recruiting. Also check the smaller niche sites that focus on a particular geographic location or career field and you will find plenty of job listings.

DON’T APPLY FOR A JOB AS SOON AS YOU FIND IT

Top career experts revealed that when you find a job online that you’re really interested in, applying is the last thing you should do. Instead, research that company and the professionals who work there and reach out to someone at the company before you apply for the job, letting them know you admire what they do and would love their advice. Then, ask questions via email or phone about what they like and find challenging at their job and ask if they have any tips for you. most likely they will personally tell you about the job opening (you should not mention it) and then you can ask them about getting your application and resume into the right hands. It is a great way to keep your applications from getting lost in the back hole of the internet.

EXERCISE ENOUGH PATIENCE AFTER APPLYING

Patience is one of hardest traits to maintain during a job search. Even if you are doing everything in your control to get a position, it might take longer than you had anticipated. This is where patience and persistence come in. when you don’t see progress as quickly as you had hoped, you may begin to feel frustrated and for some it might be enough to stop their search. This is where you need to push through if the end result is important to you.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/08/26/practical-job-search-tips-for-todays-jobseekers/

cc:
davide470,
uboma)
Re: Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:43pm On Aug 26, 2016
Was the post helpful? Let's have your comments.
Re: Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers by Eddodoh(m): 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
Very helpful. I had such experience last year via LinkedIn. Unfortunately, I had other interview to attend the day I was asked to come for a chat and I couldn't meet up.
Re: Practical Job Search Tips For Today’s Jobseekers by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:42pm On Jan 22, 2018
Eddodoh:
Very helpful. I had such experience last year via LinkedIn. Unfortunately, I had other interview to attend the day I was asked to come for a chat and I couldn't meet up.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

(1) (Reply)

Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Latest Job Recruitment 2016 / Enterprise Liaison Officer / I Need A Volunteer Job In Lagos (ogba, Ikeja, Ojodu, Ojota)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.