Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA (50303 Views)

Meet Jemima Osunde: The Actress Who "Would Date A Broke Man That's Good In Bed" / Genevieve Nnaji And AJ Cham: The Real Story Behind The White Man & The Actress / Lavish Lifestyle Of Daniella Okeke, The Actress Associated With Apostle Suleman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 1:23am On Aug 28, 2016
A few times every generation, an actor or actress emerges whose performances can change the way the public thinks about an issue.
Leleti Khumalo is such an artist. She captured our hearts as children in the 1988 film ‘Sarafina’. Although she has managed to live life away from the limelight, here are a few facts that we managed to collect about this brilliant star.

1. When Leleti auditioned for the role of ‘Sarafina’ in 1987 , she was only 15 years and blew everyone away with her perfomance 

2. Shortly after the movie was done, Leleti got married to the very director Mbongeni Ngema, who we see from the film hitting on her on countless occasions.

3. Leleti who is now divorced from Ngema has shown regret over and over , calling the marriage a disgusting experience, and expressing remorse for having married an already married man. 

4. In 1993, she released her first album named Leleti and The Sarafina and dedicated it to the late Mohammed Ali 

5. She starred in major movies after that, Hotel Rwanda and Yesterday 

6. Leleti is now married to a business man, Skhuthazo, he is two years her junior and together they have twins, totalling to three children for Leleti one from ex husband Mbongeni

Source. OMG Voice Nigeria

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1156333094405478&id=1024753804230075

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 1:25am On Aug 28, 2016
7. Leleti now works as a radio presenter and has moved on to film producing and directing full time 

8. Leleti also suffers from a skin condition ‘vitiligo’ a skin condition resulting in white patches on the body. It is caused by the body attacking its own pigment cells.

9. Leleti had two miscarriages before she discovered she was carrying her twins, a moment she says was the happiest in her entire life 

10. Leleti recieved a Tony award nomination for Sarafina as well as an NAACP Image award for best stage actress.

11. She is largely respected and admired by upcoming and professional actors in South Africa and beyond, many attribute their success to her.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 1:27am On Aug 28, 2016
Well wel

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by atilla(m): 2:35am On Aug 28, 2016
Beautiful lady.

Op. Nice post

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by cassidy1996(m): 2:46am On Aug 28, 2016
my elder sister loves that movie so much, she talks a lot about it then. (South Africa and songs for Freedom are like 5 & 6.......) i cant forget Brenda, lucky Dube, Chaka-Chaka and Miriam Makeba

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by mrschukwu1: 3:52am On Aug 28, 2016
Just incase tongue

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by joe4real12: 4:08am On Aug 28, 2016
Nice info.

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Nobody: 8:12am On Aug 28, 2016
rexericx:
Dedicated 2 you
:my wife," A great fan of Leleti

Esther J Nwuzo
she looks like Nelson Mandela in this pics

3 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by samzzycash(m): 10:29am On Aug 28, 2016
Can't count the number of times I have watched the movie in fact if it plays on TV today I'm still going to watch ..such a beautiful woman

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
What still amazes me is dat,south African s will rather sing to confront instead of fighting

Trust naija, no time for singing

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 10:10pm On Aug 28, 2016
samzzycash:
Can't count the number of times I have watched the movie in fact if it plays on TV today I'm still going to watch ..such a beautiful woman

Smiles

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Tynasparks(f): 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
kissFREEDOM IS COMING TOMORROW !!! cheesy .... My love for this movie is forever

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
Tynasparks:
kissFREEDOM IS COMING TOMORROW !!! cheesy .... My love for this movie is forever

This Sarafina movie made me lov whoopiegoldberge....i guess d spelling of her name is correct

7 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by jessiecah(f): 11:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
She was just 15, wow....she apparently had late onset vitiligo, as seen in newer pictures

5 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Tynasparks(f): 8:52am On Aug 29, 2016
rexericx:

This Sarafina movie made me lov whoopiegoldberge....i guess d spelling of her name is correct
yea Whoopi goldberg

4 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by rexericx(m): 7:32pm On Aug 29, 2016
Uncle lalasticlala
Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by floragregs(f): 7:38pm On Aug 29, 2016
Jarizod:
she looks like Nelson Mandela in this pics
they all look alike in south Africa! I wonder why.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by veekid(m): 9:13pm On Aug 29, 2016
Her name sounds like Eegunleti; only the Yorubas can understand

3 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by gabazin080(m): 9:14pm On Aug 29, 2016
i so much luv that movie

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Samtoby(m): 9:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
Wow... OP made me remember one of childhood best films..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Flexherbal(m): 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2016
Ok
Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by manando1(m): 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
rexericx:
A few times every generation, an actor or actress emerges whose performances can change the way the public thinks about an issue.
Leleti Khumalo is such an artist. She captured our hearts as children in the 1988 film ‘Sarafina’. Although she has managed to live life away from the limelight, here are a few facts that we managed to collect about this brilliant star.

1. When Leleti auditioned for the role of ‘Sarafina’ in 1987 , she was only 15 years and blew everyone away with her perfomance 

2. Shortly after the movie was done, Leleti got married to the very director Mbongeni Ngema, who we see from the film hitting on her on countless occasions.

3. Leleti who is now divorced from Ngema has shown regret over and over , calling the marriage a disgusting experience, and expressing remorse for having married an already married man. 

4. In 1993, she released her first album named Leleti and The Sarafina and dedicated it to the late Mohammed Ali 

5. She starred in major movies after that, Hotel Rwanda and Yesterday 

6. Leleti is now married to a business man, Skhuthazo, he is two years her junior and together they have twins, totalling to three children for Leleti one from ex husband Mbongeni

Source. OMG Voice Nigeria

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1156333094405478&id=1024753804230075

is that all ? She also in Genaration South Africa soup for many years

1 Like

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by Zico5(m): 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
Ok
Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by lordkhalifa(m): 9:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
I love twins ... triplet are awesome

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by manando1(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
floragregs:
they all look alike in south Africa! I wonder why.
I can't even tell you myself , but I can identify a South Africa doesn't matter where he/she at without them telling me , I think the environment we grew in plays a huge role in that

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by ddippset(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
Reminds me of a part of my childhood. I used to want to watch commando, rambo, no retreat no surrender, etc my mom and my sisters used to prefer sarafina, sound of music, etc. That caused a lot of beef. I guess I lost the beef cus I ended up watching sarafina something like 100 times between 95 and 97.

12 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by FengChui(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
cassidy1996:
my elder sister loves that movie so much, she talks a lot about it then. (South Africa and songs for Freedom are like 5 & 6.......) i cant forget Brenda, lucky Dube, Chaka-Chaka and Miriam Makeba

Where is the picture of Jacob Zuma and his forefingers synonymous with 5&6?

4 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by oloriooko(m): 9:25pm On Aug 29, 2016
Nice info but how will this bring back the dog named buhari that was brutally murdered by some evil people angry

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by johnstar(m): 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2016
She bae kiss
Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by HajimeSaito(m): 9:28pm On Aug 29, 2016
Thank goodness I have the video file of the film SARAFINA! and I can watch it on my laptop or phone any time I feel nostalgic.
Leleti was my first crush.♥♥♥♥

2 Likes

Re: 11 Things You Didn't Know About Leleti, The Actress Who Played "SARAFINA by mamagee3(f): 9:31pm On Aug 29, 2016
Loved that movie.

It was amazing!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fan Does A Realistic Drawing Of Davido. "Dope, But My Head Too Big" Singer Says / Skales And Neza, His Stunning Rwandan-Canadian Girlfriend Pictured Together / Ebuka Obi-uchendu Proposes To Millionaire Girlfriend (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.