Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment (48760 Views)

Five Nigerian Artistes That Promised Us The Grammy Awards / Five Most Overrated Nigerian Artistes / This X-rated Nigerian Bridal Shower Has Got Everyone Talking(see Stories Here) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by ishowdotgmail(m): 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
Kkkk
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by superstarDikk(m): 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
Its clear u don't know d meaning of overrated.....You call Dare n Dbanj overrated?...........This niggas have gone places with dia music...Dare is one of d best RNB artiste of all time...Dbanj tho not a great vocalist, have opened doors for every motherfuckka in d game right now....everybody knows Ice prince don't know shitt about rap so u right on that.

6 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Seanmike(m): 5:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
remove Dbanj and Art Alade from dat lists and rethink again

11 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by peeparty(m): 5:14pm On Aug 28, 2016
Well it just an opinion.. make I know come talk kee myself.

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by danbrowndmf(m): 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2016
darey and d'banj is nt in anywhere near overrated.iceprince and kimani are baba and mama of overrated.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by witorwitoutyou(m): 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
Aw can u say dare is over rated?

Listen to dt dares hit song again PRAY 4 ME
It's far better dan MOST DAVIDO/OLAMIDE'S song combination
Listen to words nt beat

4 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by mandhip: 5:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
You mean dbanj with over a decade of classic songs tongolo,why Me, olorunmaje, ogbonafelifeli, suddenly, fall in love, Oliver twist, mr endow, top of the world, feeling the nigga, emergency, bother you etc overrated U must be stupid im sorry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 28, 2016
theshaderoom:
The word “overrated” is defined as
“having a higher opinion of someone or something than is deserved.”

After studying the Nigerian music scene, Naijataiment brings you this list of 8 Over-Rated Nigerian Artistes. These artistes, (some old, some new) are often given so much credit, but a closer look at their works will reveal to you that hype outshines talent and acclaim is founded mostly on media exposure and sentiments.

There’s no denying that the following artistes are popular and successful but do they really have the X factor? And even if they do, is it being applied?

After making my observations and opinions (sometimes scathing) known, I'll leave you to decide and probably correct me, if you have a different opinion about these music stars.

cool Darey

Dare Art Alade – popularly known as Darey – is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, and Idol series judge. He is the son of the renowned Nigerian entertainer, Art Alade.

I had high hopes for Darey, really high hope, and my hopes were dashed.

He has an impressive voice but doesn't seem to take chances. Consistently churning out generic and simple tracks that sound like a cover or rip-off some singer's classic album. I don't know if it's because he did someone's cover once but I don't get an originality vibe from Darey. Failed time after time to really deliver.

Timi Dakolo is doing what everyone hoped Darey would do years ago.

7) Seyi Shay

Deborah Oluwaseyi Joshua, (born 21 December 1985), professionally known by her stage name Seyi Shay is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording artist and performer.

I have never met this songstress, but I get the diva vibe off this one. Her slew of embarrassing interviews also makes one wonder if there is anything upstairs even though she has quite an impressive musical pedigree.

She can dance a little, has decent vocals and some good songs. That's it! Good, not outstanding enough to be a rave.

6) Mayorkun

Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, (Born 1994) better known by his Stage Name MAYORKUN is a Nigerian recording artist, songwriter. In 2016, he signed a record deal with Davido's imprint "HKN Gang".

This guy has been in the music industry for a whole 2 minutes, and his boss davido is already trying to make us think he is the next Michael Jackson. I understand the strategy (i really do), and I enjoy his song "Eleko" but we still haven't decided yet if he is not just another "one hit wonder."

Yes, I know about his new song "Yawa," so let's just put an asterisk on his name and give him some years, to see if he doesn't fall into Davido's shadow.

5) Ice Prince

Panshak Zamani (born 23 October 1986), better known by his stage name Ice Prince, is a Nigerian hip hop recording artist and actor.

Ice Prince cannot rap! In fact, he takes the award for someone really really overrated. His "rap" and flow are painfully repetitive and annoying; sounding like someone reciting nursery rhymes. You hear lines like
"dem no dey go front, dem no dey carry last..."
it's embarrassing just writing that.

He is a testimony of good marketing; chocolate city really did well by him.

4) Victoria Kimani

Victoria Kimani (born 28 July 1985), is an American-born Kenyan singer, songwriter, actress and entertainer. She is currently signed to Chocolate City and is described as the record label's first lady.

Well, here goes chocolate city trying to market the hell out of a no-talent-having pretty girl. The Ice Prince marketing worked out fine, but it has been said that thunder doesn't strike in one place twice, and I believe it won't start now.

Please raise your hand if you know or can remember one song by Victoria Kimani. No hands? Exactly!

I fail to see why she is still relevant. Next!

3) D Banj

Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo (born 9 June 1981), known by his stage name D'banj, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, harmonica player, and entrepreneur.

I never really jumped on the DBanj bandwagon. I believed and still believe he has very little talent and depended heavily on Don Jazzy's production and marketing skills. He went and signed with Good music and made Nigerians very aware of his mediocrity and that was the beginning of the end.

"Bother you" is the ONLY Dbanj song with lyrical content, I stand to be corrected.

2) KCee

Kingsley Chinweike Okonkwo (born 18 April 1979), better known as Kcee (sometimes stylised as KCee), is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He was formally in the Hip Hop duo group called Kc Presh. He currently has a record deal with Five Star Music.

Wow! I am just impressed at the determination with which he churns out his no-point songs. Kcee hits sparks sometimes, but you can always differentiate between a Kcee written song and a song written by someone talented behind the scenes.

Limpopo, fine face, ogadinma, pull over, love boat, ogbomma, ok, we get it, you are a feminist, and you love beautiful girls, can you find something else to sing about now? I hope you get my point - Generic! Highly overrated. Highly!

AND NUMBER 1 GOES TO....

WAIT FOR IT....

1) Lil Kesh

Keshinro Ololade (born March 14, 1995), popularly known by his stage name Lil Kesh, is a Nigerian singer, rapper, and songwriter.

First, I can't really place this Olamide-wannabe; is he a singer, a rapper or both as his Wikipedia page claims?

Although his songs are catchy, he doesn't have one shred of talent. Not well enough to become as popular as he is, which quickly brings the word "lucky" into this.

If you are a Lil Kesh fan about to come for me in the comment section, please tell me you think
"if your nyash nah jollof rice, I rather eat ofada"
is lyrical genius?

He isn't just overrated, he just sucks. I don't understand Yoruba language that much but from the very little I understand, I know he has a foul mouth and no lyrical content. Always saying something x-rated, senseless and repeating himself. Even Olamide his (former) boss started with some sensible songs.

Please note that am a fan of some of these artistes, and this is not a "hate" list. Tell us who you think should have been included on this list and air your views if you have a contrary opinion.

Source

http://www.naijatainmentxtra.com/2016/08/8-over-rated-nigerian-artistes-by.html
one kobe sense u no get

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by ThatSameGuy: 5:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
I think only Lil Kesh deserves to be on this list...

* Modified *
Oops, Kimani also (Kimani killi show) grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by bligs: 5:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
Dbanj overrated yet he's next to 2baba in terms of awards but locally and internationally, this op mumu die.

8 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Olubee22(f): 5:23pm On Aug 28, 2016
@op , u are truly blessed!
Ice prince nah error and Victoria Kimani , am still trying to remember 1 of her songs tho.
Beht Seyi Shay and Darey, I don't think they belong here.

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by sexymoma(f): 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
U don't even know what you are typing!!! Darey is over rated na small doctor sabi sing... U don't even know music.... Thank your star I don't know you... I can actually fight mad for darey as in off my shirt fight you for Wetin you type so... Yeye... Pple dey talk music u sitdon open ya mouth say darey is over rated... Mtcheew

4 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by wristbangle: 5:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
If a debate happens to confirm all the mentioned artistes to be overrated, I can counter the debate with true facts that Darey is not and can never be overrated.

See as u reduced one of the best R&B star in Nigeria.

Na wa for Op oo sad

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by happney65: 5:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
The fuckinnggg OP should remove Seyi Shay and Dbanj from that list..Your Head is not correct at all..Thank You

5 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by NORSIYK(m): 5:29pm On Aug 28, 2016
True.... Lil kesh is the worst artiste in history of naija music industry. Olamide suppose dey thew

3 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by amolak: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
mandhip:
You mean dbanj with over a decade of classic songs tongolo,why Me, olorunmaje, ogbonafelifeli, suddenly, fall in love, Oliver twist, mr endow, top of the world, feeling the nigga, emergency, bother you etc overrated U must be stupid im sorry
grin grin grin his matter pass stupidity

10 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Agimor(m): 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op go and record your own song even the best market in the music industry won't be able to find customers to patronized your wack song. Bad bellerism.

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Fenzyflames: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
Ice Prince and Lil Kesh shouldn't be on that list.. We all know Darey n Seyi Shay are overrated...
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by phemi36(m): 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2016
Sheyi shay shldnt be on this list na
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by kingOG: 5:31pm On Aug 28, 2016
theshaderoom:
The word “overrated” is defined as
“having a higher opinion of someone or something than is deserved.”

After studying the Nigerian music scene, Naijataiment brings you this list of 8 Over-Rated Nigerian Artistes. These artistes, (some old, some new) are often given so much credit, but a closer look at their works will reveal to you that hype outshines talent and acclaim is founded mostly on media exposure and sentiments.

There’s no denying that the following artistes are popular and successful but do they really have the X factor? And even if they do, is it being applied?

After making my observations and opinions (sometimes scathing) known, I'll leave you to decide and probably correct me, if you have a different opinion about these music stars.

cool Darey

Dare Art Alade – popularly known as Darey – is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, and Idol series judge. He is the son of the renowned Nigerian entertainer, Art Alade.

I had high hopes for Darey, really high hope, and my hopes were dashed.

He has an impressive voice but doesn't seem to take chances. Consistently churning out generic and simple tracks that sound like a cover or rip-off some singer's classic album. I don't know if it's because he did someone's cover once but I don't get an originality vibe from Darey. Failed time after time to really deliver.

Timi Dakolo is doing what everyone hoped Darey would do years ago.

7) Seyi Shay

Deborah Oluwaseyi Joshua, (born 21 December 1985), professionally known by her stage name Seyi Shay is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, recording artist and performer.

I have never met this songstress, but I get the diva vibe off this one. Her slew of embarrassing interviews also makes one wonder if there is anything upstairs even though she has quite an impressive musical pedigree.

She can dance a little, has decent vocals and some good songs. That's it! Good, not outstanding enough to be a rave.

6) Mayorkun

Adewale Mayowa Emmanuel, (Born 1994) better known by his Stage Name MAYORKUN is a Nigerian recording artist, songwriter. In 2016, he signed a record deal with Davido's imprint "HKN Gang".

This guy has been in the music industry for a whole 2 minutes, and his boss davido is already trying to make us think he is the next Michael Jackson. I understand the strategy (i really do), and I enjoy his song "Eleko" but we still haven't decided yet if he is not just another "one hit wonder."

Yes, I know about his new song "Yawa," so let's just put an asterisk on his name and give him some years, to see if he doesn't fall into Davido's shadow.

5) Ice Prince

Panshak Zamani (born 23 October 1986), better known by his stage name Ice Prince, is a Nigerian hip hop recording artist and actor.

Ice Prince cannot rap! In fact, he takes the award for someone really really overrated. His "rap" and flow are painfully repetitive and annoying; sounding like someone reciting nursery rhymes. You hear lines like
"dem no dey go front, dem no dey carry last..."
it's embarrassing just writing that.

He is a testimony of good marketing; chocolate city really did well by him.

4) Victoria Kimani

Victoria Kimani (born 28 July 1985), is an American-born Kenyan singer, songwriter, actress and entertainer. She is currently signed to Chocolate City and is described as the record label's first lady.

Well, here goes chocolate city trying to market the hell out of a no-talent-having pretty girl. The Ice Prince marketing worked out fine, but it has been said that thunder doesn't strike in one place twice, and I believe it won't start now.

Please raise your hand if you know or can remember one song by Victoria Kimani. No hands? Exactly!

I fail to see why she is still relevant. Next!

3) D Banj

Oladapo Daniel Oyebanjo (born 9 June 1981), known by his stage name D'banj, is a Nigerian singer-songwriter, harmonica player, and entrepreneur.

I never really jumped on the DBanj bandwagon. I believed and still believe he has very little talent and depended heavily on Don Jazzy's production and marketing skills. He went and signed with Good music and made Nigerians very aware of his mediocrity and that was the beginning of the end.

"Bother you" is the ONLY Dbanj song with lyrical content, I stand to be corrected.

2) KCee

Kingsley Chinweike Okonkwo (born 18 April 1979), better known as Kcee (sometimes stylised as KCee), is a Nigerian singer and songwriter. He was formally in the Hip Hop duo group called Kc Presh. He currently has a record deal with Five Star Music.

Wow! I am just impressed at the determination with which he churns out his no-point songs. Kcee hits sparks sometimes, but you can always differentiate between a Kcee written song and a song written by someone talented behind the scenes.

Limpopo, fine face, ogadinma, pull over, love boat, ogbomma, ok, we get it, you are a feminist, and you love beautiful girls, can you find something else to sing about now? I hope you get my point - Generic! Highly overrated. Highly!

AND NUMBER 1 GOES TO....

WAIT FOR IT....

1) Lil Kesh

Keshinro Ololade (born March 14, 1995), popularly known by his stage name Lil Kesh, is a Nigerian singer, rapper, and songwriter.

First, I can't really place this Olamide-wannabe; is he a singer, a rapper or both as his Wikipedia page claims?

Although his songs are catchy, he doesn't have one shred of talent. Not well enough to become as popular as he is, which quickly brings the word "lucky" into this.

If you are a Lil Kesh fan about to come for me in the comment section, please tell me you think
"if your nyash nah jollof rice, I rather eat ofada"
is lyrical genius?

He isn't just overrated, he just sucks. I don't understand Yoruba language that much but from the very little I understand, I know he has a foul mouth and no lyrical content. Always saying something x-rated, senseless and repeating himself. Even Olamide his (former) boss started with some sensible songs.

Please note that am a fan of some of these artistes, and this is not a "hate" list. Tell us who you think should have been included on this list and air your views if you have a contrary opinion.

Source

http://www.naijatainmentxtra.com/2016/08/8-over-rated-nigerian-artistes-by.html
ice prince is rated internationally bigger than Olamide x10 I guess that's overating but that nigga getting paid tho so bleep your opinion... and remove dbanj from the list...at least is entrepreneurial skill is legendary.. we all know that kimani is just here to sell sex

1 Like

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 28, 2016
sheyi shay and ice Prince, these artists shouldn't be on that list, for ice Prince he turned to dance hall with "boss" rappers don't really sell well in naija, ain't bad if he mix the two(dance/rap), sheyi is class for me, different from the rest her style z unique she just don't want to know what's trending.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by amolak: 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2016
bligs:
Dbanj overrated yet he's next to 2baba in terms of awards but locally and internationally, this op mumu die.
op and moderator need to be examined for damaged brain

4 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by hollyfat(m): 5:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
mandhip:

[size=16pt]Actually STUPID ++[/size]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Donmichaelz(m): 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
You and your post are both Overated,,,,,I use to be like you 10 years ago,,,,they are overated and Successful,, even Olamide DAT is hot now is nt as successful as some of the guys on d list....
How can someone be called overated and still succeeding,,it means d word doesn't exist,...Hardwork gave these guys success

If we check now u might be living in your parents house oo,mstwwww small boys av taking over Nairaland ,,,,see wetin buhari cos?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by lanreg95(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op, Darey bin overratedNO...i fnk itz d oda way round, he has actually bin underrated...if u ar a lover of RnB nd good vocals music,u gotta luv wat darey dishes out...

2 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by YungMillionaire: 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
cool Dare, Sheyi, Mayourkun, Lil Kesh and Dbanj should not be on this list. They are talented. The rest of the list I don't know much about. cool.

some criticize Lil Kesh for been vulgar. If vulgarity was a knock to greatness then Snoop Dogg will not be considered the Legend that he is. Lil Kesh's track LYRICALLY is still one of the best rap songs in Nigeria's rap history in my opinion.

I have not listened much to Dare's music but his stage creativity alone is enough for me to doubt he belongs to your list

Dbanj is the farthest thing from overrated.Music is not about excellent voice alone. Dbanj's voice fits his music perfectly. And he is probably the best entertainer alive (Nobody comes close to the GREAT Fela) ever to come out of Nigeria.

I have listened to Mayourkun's 2 songs - Eleko and Yawa. Right now he is the new best male vocalist in the country at the moment

Sheyi has a good voice (better than most of the other female artists). Granted she is nowhere near Asa but again who is?

The best vocalists in Nigeria are the following: Asa, Braimoh, 2face, Qdot (in this order).

3 Likes

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by greggng: 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2016
The one with free madness why is he not there?
Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by scopiicaar: 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
I guess dis op is high on osogbo weed, Lil Wayne use vulgar language and he z a superstar, and have u listened to snoop lion rap recently? dbanj is a living legend mhen, Oliver Twist is overrated shey?

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Over-rated Nigerian Artistes By Naijatainment by Jidibia(m): 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
Seeing ice prince, kcee, and d'banj on your list shows how ridiculous u could be. You know nothing about music. Abeg go sidon for gutter @op

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tonto Dikeh Speaks On Premature Ejaculation. Shades Half Minute Men / Bikini Photos Of Toke Makinwa At Lagos Beach / I Am Not Ready To Remarry – Damilola Adegbite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.