Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,829 members, 7,806,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:54 PM

FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others (17435 Views)

Rotimi Amaechi Briefs On Lagos-Ibadan Railway Projects (Photos) / Buhari Writes NASS, Seeks To Borrow $5.851bn For Railway Projects / FG Sets To Rehabilitate Enugu-onitsha Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Puvor: 7:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
By Chris OchayiABUJA: Minister of Transportationand former Governor of Rivers State, Chief Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, yesterday, disclosed that the administration has concluded plans to award the contract for the construction of the Lagos-Ibadan railway project.Chief Amaechi, who said this while speaking at the one year memoriallecture in honour of Human Rights Activist and former General Secretary of Alliance for Credible Election, ACE-Nigeria, late Comrade Emma Ezeazu, in Abuja, said contracts for Kano-Kaduna and Calabar-Port Harcourt railway project would also be signed before the end of this week.

The memorial lecture with theme; Advancing the Frontiers of Progressive Governance, was organised by Emma Ezeazu Mandate Group.Meanwhile, the former governor, while giving reasons why he dumped his former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to pitch tent with the ruling All Progressive Congress, APC, explained that he left the then ruling party because he was made an orphan. According to him, “The President agenda is not just to recover loots.We are recovering as much as we can. But the president is determined to create employment. That is why you can see his focus. In transportation, from Kaduna to Abuja, we have created over 700 workforce. What did I do? I said all the villages or those communities along the route; I said they should give themlevel six down. March on that railway.

“Their job is to march on that railway from the beginning to the end to see there was no security breach. The rest of applicants will go online to apply for the jobs. They said if we publish people will die the way it happened during immigration recruitment exercise and they will say Amaechi should resign (thunderous laughters)

The President called a meeting last week and requested too be briefed on what we are doing in terms of the railway. This year, we will start Lagos-Ibadan, railway project. You know the difference between us and the rest, we will not say go and start we will look for counterpart funding.“We will bring our counterpart fund as poor as the country is now and give to the Chinese because their money is already in their bank account. It is for us to bring our own. If we bring our own they bring their own to make sure there is no delay, we will bring all our own to give them and say go and start work.“If that happened, in two years, Lagos-Ibadan will be ready. Tomorrow I will sign the contracts for Calabar-Port Harcourt railwayproject. Before the week runs out, I will sign Kano-Kduna. That is what we are doing. This is to show you that we are moving away from the corruption economy to production economy.” Amaechi, while recalling the students’ union activities were eventful during their time when the late Comrade Emma Ezeazu was President of National association of Nigerian Students, NANS, lamented that student union has drifted to the lowest ebb.According to him, “Recall 1983 to 1987 there were no speeches, there were actions. I reminded President Muhammadu Buhari and I said student when you were Head of State I was among those who used to sing all sorts of things about him because there were demonstrations in all the schools everyday.“

Then, they were closing universitydown everyday because we are notaddressing give us hostels, give us water, give us rive, we are addressing national issues and the closure of schools were becausewe will not agree to any national issue we thought was against the people. Now, NANS president has a convoy and has SAs, and his officeis located in the villa.”On the dying agitation for good governance, he said, “When I listen to all of you I laugh, I laugh because the poor has lost…either thoroughly beaten by the ruling class has lost the ability to resist. So, those resisting now is no longer the poor, it is the ruling class resisting themselves.”

Responding to a remarks by the guest lecturer, Professor Chidi Odinkalu, the minister said, “He made analysis now and I laughed when he talked about nomadism inthe politic of Nigeria and I laughed. While I laughed is that heknew little or nothing of what was going on. And I want to be put on record, I was made orphan including oil bloc.“And I said no, Nigeria was going under and I won’t continue to support this government. And I have to move, I was kept on the table for discussions, not one meeting, not two or three meetings. I was taken out of the country for meetings for me to remain in PDP. I was made orphanthat when you see it you will say, what is my business with this Nigeria?“But at that time, it was between me my conscience and the Nigerian country. I could have taken those offers. I was the beautiful bride. If you remember one of the speeches I made as governor at the Freedom Park, and I said if you people continue to look at us, we will steal everything. And there will be nothing left for you to eat. That until you begin to stone us. There will be no stop to stealing. You can’t stop to stealing.”

On the issue of transparent, he said “The system built for you to betransparent. When you are not transparent does not mean the system is not there. It means that you just undermine the system. There is a contract you will award, the system said no; advertise it for everybody to bid.“That system is ridiculous. It will only offer you what is called singlesource. You will approach them and say you want single source and when they give you single source and because you want to break the rule of law no one will even apply and you just say contract come and do this thing and nothing happened. Nothing happened because the President of the country does not want anything to happen.”

In his lecture, the Director General of Electoral Institute, Professor Chidi Odinkalu blamed the corruption and underdevelopment of the country to the consequences of the Structural Adjustment Programme, SAP, introduced by the President Ibrahim Babangida’s administration in 1986.Prof. Odinkalu regretted that Nigeria never recovered from the SAP, which according top him led to wreck unprecedented havoc on the economy, with the collapses of the manufacturing sector of the economy.He said, every other countries thatwere at par with Nigeria then have left us behind because of the adjustment.

Source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/fg-sets-award-lagos-ibadan-railway-projects-others-amaechi/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by amaco12(m): 7:56pm On Aug 30, 2016
Amaechi my role model.God bless u sir.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by micfoley: 7:57pm On Aug 30, 2016
Great

3 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by SuperS1Panther: 7:58pm On Aug 30, 2016
May God allow you to fulfill the lofty dreams of completion of Lagos-Ibadan railway and others, Lion of Mbiama.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Standing5(m): 7:59pm On Aug 30, 2016
Good move. Lol . . . . Wail

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by striker9(m): 8:04pm On Aug 30, 2016
nice

1 Like

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
But where is the rail starting from in Lagos?

Bourdillion or Ojodu or Marina or Ibafo?

When the capital project for the Lagos -Ibadan road expansion has not been fully settled undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by LoveMachine(m): 8:21pm On Aug 30, 2016
They are getting things done. I've been holding out for stories like this. NaijaUP!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by harosho07(m): 8:22pm On Aug 30, 2016
Keneking:

Bourdillion or Ojodu or Marina or Ibafo

You simply hate goodnews

50 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by seunmsg(m): 8:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
Great news. Slow but steadily, we are on the road to where we want to be. I appreciate the new approach of getting the country's share of the counterpart funds ready before the contract is signed. Once work starts, there will be no delay till it is completed. No stories, no delay.

Kudos to Amaechi and president Buhari, we want to see more of this please.

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by sarrki(m): 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
They will avoid this thread

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by deji68: 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
grin grin grin grin wetin make we celebrate now ?? yet to be signed contract ?? or the commencement of the project ??......this people sef

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Movesz(m): 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2016
I beg fg come help us in kogi state.....we need train here too
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
We are getting somewhere

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by aresa: 9:24pm On Aug 30, 2016
This is to show you that we are moving away from the corruption economy to production economy

Yes Sir.... grin grin grin

8 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by rusher14: 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2016
Movesz:
I beg fg come help us in kogi state.....we need train here too

Are you sure?

We hear say una dey flog anybody way represent government for that side o.

15 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by oyinkinola: 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
...hee! pdp had gone dey!
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by malton: 10:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
As it is often said, little drops of water, little grains of sand, make the mighty ocean... and the blessed land.

Brick by brick, the government is building from the ground up and seems committed to tacking the myriad of problems bedeviling the country headlong.

Should the tempo be sustained and consequently upped as the economy shapens up, there's no doubting that they could leave the country in a better state than they met it.

And at the end of the day, that's what counts. Everyone has their takeaways, but all of that tend to matter a lot less when you give much more to the coubtry than you take away.

Their commitment is never in doubt. Things may be hard right now, but that not withstanding, we may never say that they didn't try.

18 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Grundig: 10:57pm On Aug 30, 2016
Of what use and importance are these routes to Nigeria? Isn't it common sense that Lagos - abuja route should be chief in the plans?

Just imagine? Lagos-ibadan, PH-calabar, kano-kaduna?
Lagos-abuja is not being mentioned.

1 Like

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 30, 2016
sarrki:
They will avoid this thread

Don't get it twisted. Set date is different from implementation date...if you catch my drift

3 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Toluwani113: 11:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
cheesy
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Mbeki: 12:23am On Aug 31, 2016
Nigerians should watch their actions! I was there sha!

1 Like

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 31, 2016
Grundig:
Of what use and importance are these routes to Nigeria? Isn't it common sense that Lagos - abuja route should be chief in the plans?

Just imagine? Lagos-ibadan , PH-calabar, kano-kaduna?

Asking us the importance of Lagos-Ibadan. The busiest route in Nigeria and possibly Africa.

Rada rada

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by chrisblack: 12:30am On Aug 31, 2016
Grundig:

Just imagine? Lagos-ibadan, PH-calabar, kano-kaduna?

I won't say your lack of understanding of the importance and economic returns was the cause of the rubbish you type up there.lagos to Ibadan is the first link of any commercially viable train route to Abuja.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 1:22am On Aug 31, 2016
Puvor:
Source http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/fg-sets-award-lagos-ibadan-railway-projects-others-amaechi/

Cc Lalasticlala
.Which one is Kano Kaduna I think you mean Kano - Lagos
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by ificatchmodeh: 1:49am On Aug 31, 2016
..am not enemy of progress..i wish buhari and apc well..
But something tells me..say this na story..Apc government na d one my eyes see. Na him I go believe..

They don talk say we give dem mission impossible..forgetting say na dem promise o. now they're saying another thing..even Amaechi fold hand the talk the talk..no confidence..because his not sure au d money will come...if there is money, it won't be..we will..it will be we have started work..
Na why I dey feel Fash small..even as e don fall my hand..i dey see evidence..from itu to asaba to ibadan..but light no dey grin
But this Amaechi talk eh..
Ok..all the best...but to me na gbo gbo for now
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Grundig: 3:23am On Aug 31, 2016
OmoAjowa7:

Asking us the importance of Lagos-Ibadan expressway. The busiest road in Nigeria and possibly Africa.

Rada rada
I know some of you nairalanders don't read. Some can never assimilate what they've read. My brother, no vex. Read the article again then read your rejoinder to me.

Note that I will only respond to you if you spot your error. Until then chief
Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by koladebrainiac(m): 3:42am On Aug 31, 2016
Lagos to ibadan
It wil be nice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by modath(f): 3:44am On Aug 31, 2016
Keneking:

Bourdillion or Ojodu or Marina or Ibafo

Kene, i know you are vexed by some of this admin's actions & inactions... It's your inalienable right... You have a right to your thoughts, opinion & allegiance but some things don't just translate well..... Be temperate.. Thx. cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by modath(f): 3:49am On Aug 31, 2016
OmoAjowa7:

Asking us the importance of Lagos-Ibadan expressway. The busiest road in Nigeria and possibly Africa.

Rada rada

My buroda don vex ooo, e ma binu... cheesy no mind the arijenidimadaru , oninu buruku.... Yoruba for one aren't demanding, we are just reaping from our toil... It's called workchop... You chop where you werk.. smiley

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Grundig: 3:50am On Aug 31, 2016
chrisblack:
I won't say your lack of understanding of the importance and economic returns was the cause of the rubbish you type up there.lagos to Ibadan is the first link of any commercially viable train route to Abuja.
My guy, save this talk for your ilk.
Some of us are way too Intelligent for small talks.
If you choose to be the stuck in the stone age, my guy, good on you.

I dont care how viable Lagos - ibadan was, Lagos-abuja should be holy grail. We are talking about the ecoomic nerve centre of west Africa and policy centre of Nigeria.

Again, my guy, leave small talk.

2 Likes

Re: FG Sets To Award Lagos-ibadan Railway Projects, Others by Nobody: 3:54am On Aug 31, 2016
I hope the project is completed ASAP sad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Support Buhari To Weed Out Thieves And Looters" - Oshiomhole Tells Nigerians / ICYMI: 1999, 2003 Election Results Missing – INEC / Obasanjo To Lose 2,500 Hectares Of Land .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.