Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,794 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 (21927 Views)

Alake Of Egbaland Arriving At Coronation Of King George VI Of England In 1937 / Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Nellybank(m): 8:58am On Sep 01, 2016
Mama if to say u dey this President Buhari no for dribble us go put for hardship... Please pray for us wereva u are

1 Like

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by AdemolaA2: 8:59am On Sep 01, 2016
She was a Lioness and fearless .. things have gone so bad now that women integrity on politics have been compromised.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Nellybank(m): 8:59am On Sep 01, 2016
I no mention name o ... This one wey nairaland wan put me trouble
Nellybank:
Mama if to say u dey this President Buhari no for dribble us go put for hardship... Please pray for us wereva u are
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by omolola15(m): 8:59am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:
Despite all the noise. They can only copy. We know the right holders to women uprising against taxation in the whole of Africa. They were imitated clear twenty years after.

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo

Can you stop being tribalistic? Do they need to copy anyone to defend their rights? They were being oppressed by a thief called a king. And you could say is copy. Next time you are oppressed please don't do anything because you don't want to copy the first person that protested. Live your life with love and stop being tribalistic

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by DoyenExchange: 9:01am On Sep 01, 2016
Women of old are powerful

1 Like

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by 989900: 9:01am On Sep 01, 2016
EwejeOyewole:
[s]Not like aunty oby going to sit on Aso Rock ground[/s].
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Dbeze: 9:10am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:
Despite all the noise. They can only copy. We know the right holders to women uprising against taxation in the whole of Africa. They were imitated clear twenty years after.

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo
. My dear, please tell thm, stupid noise makers. Empty heads filled wt sawdust
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Bondesniger(m): 9:10am On Sep 01, 2016
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by lordkhalifa(m): 9:17am On Sep 01, 2016
Nigeria space agency has scam me. after paying 2k to watch eclipse of the Sun at the viewing center, all they could tell me after hours of waiting is to go home that Buhari bad economic policy also affect the Moon not to show up to day... abeg someone should help me check the date for my own watch it still dey show 9:18am 31--8--2016 be like say I came here early undecided
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by 989900: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2016
Fela: Make you no go when you hear.
Just wait there, make I tell you something

Chorus: Fela you go come again

Fela: I never come again. I stay for far away.
Make you wait till I reach where I dey go

Chorus: where you dey go? (3 times)
Fela: Make I reach.

Chorus: where you dey go? (2 times)
Fela: don't ask me

Chorus: where you dey go? (2 times)
Fela: Wait and see.

Fela: I say... This thing wey happened, happened for my country.
Nah big-big thing, first time in the whole world.
If you hear the name, you go know.
Goverment magic.
Tell me the name now:

Chorus: Government magic.
Fela: dem go da baru everything;
Fela: dem go turn green into white
Fela: dem dey turn red into blue
Fela: Water dey go water dey come ( 2 times)
Fela: dem dey turn electric to candle (2 times)
Fela: Goverment magic

Fela: I say I dey come... small, small

Fela: Look oh! Look oh!
Chorus: Left, right, left, right…

Fela: one thousand soldiers, dem dey come,

Fela: People dey wonder, they wonder, they wonder

Fela: where these one thousand soldiers dey go ?

Fela: Look oh! Look oh!

Fela: Na, Fela's house: Kalakuta,

Fela: Dem reach the place, dey wait

Fela: Dem dey wait for
Chorus: order
Fela: Yessir

Fela: then sudden this place kwan-kwan, dem they wait

Fela: With dem helmet and them guns and them petrol, and them matches

Fela: Then again.
Chorus: Suddenly

Fela: Fela dey for house, Beko dey there too, dem mama dey too, beautiful people dey there too, frenchman dey there too, press man dey there too, 150 of us dey there too. Then suddenly, suddenly, suddenly..

Chorus: chuku-chuku-chuku, nyema-nyema-nyema, chiggi-chiggi-chiggi

Fela: yes, dem they rape,

Fela: yes, dem they steal
Chorus: chuku-chuku-chuku

Fela: yes, dem they loot
Chorus: chuku-chuku-chuku,

Fela: yes, dem they fight
Chorus: nyema-nyema-nyema

Fela: yes, some of the women dey rape, yes they fight, yes by force, yes dem they burn, yes dem they burn, yes dem comeout one student's eye, yes dem break some-some head, dem break some-some head

Fela: dem throw my mama, 78 year old mama, political mama,
Chorus: chuku-chuku-chuku, nyema-nyema-nyema,

Fela: political mama, ideological mama, inflationary mama, ideological mama, political mama, influential mama

Fela: dem throw my mama out of for window

Fela: dem kill my mama. dem kill my mama, dem kill my mama, dem kill my mama, dem kill my mama !

Fela: dem carry everybody. dem carry everybody go inside jail.

Fela: Everybody dey inside jail. We dey wait. 27 days. Them lock us.

Press dey shout.
Radio dey ring.
People dey talk:

"Them go burn Fela house.
Wetin dis Fela do?
Dis goverment, he bad-oh.
Wetin dis Fela do?
Fela talk about soldiers flogging civilians for streets.
Fela talk about government wasting money for Festac.
Wetin dis Fela do?
Dis goverment he bad-oh."

People start to talk-o
government start to shake-o

Then suddenly. Suddenly. Suddenly...

Government bring instruments of magic.
Dem bring enquiry
Dem bring two man: one soldier, one justice
The name of justice: Mr What justice.
The other justice: Major Injustice.

Dem start magic: Dem seize my house. wey they there born. Dem seize my land, dem drive all the people wey live in area: two thousand citizens, dem make them all homeless now .

Dem start magic, Dem start magic.
dem bring flame, dem bring hat, dem bring rabbit, dem conjure, dem bring smoke, dem they fall, dem conjure, spirit catch them. Dem they say:

Chorus: Unknown Soldier
Fela: 921
Fela: Government Magic

Fela: I get some information for you (2 times)

Fela: That my mother wey you kill,
Fela: She fought for universal suffrage
Fela: She fought for universal adult suffrage
Fela: She's the only mother for this country
Fela: She's the only mother for Nigeria

Fela: Which kind of injustice is this?
Fela: wetin kind government inside? If na Unknown Soldier
Fela: I said, wetin concerned government inside?
Fela: If na Unknown Soldier
Fela: we get unknown police,
Fela: we get unknown soldier
Fela: we get unknown civilian
Fela: or is it part of unknown government?
Fela: we get unknown police, dem kill nice student
Fela: we get unknown civilian, dem go kill 2 soldiers

Fela: we get unknown soldier

Fela: I say unknown police and then unknown soldier and then unknown civilian or is it part of unknown government?

Fela: them turn green into red,

Fela: them turn blue into white

8 Likes

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by GoldenJAT(m): 9:19am On Sep 01, 2016
CHARACTER!some people have it 2d fullest...others dont have it 1 bit.
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Bondesniger(m): 9:20am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by GoldenJAT(m): 9:25am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo
why are u such a MUGU?must u come and display how STUPID AND SENSELESS U ARE?must u talk when and where SANE Individuals are talking?ur head is filled with coconut water,and so..must u mk it so OBVIOUS?next time...if u av nothin sensible 2 type..kindly read and take a stroll.disgusting being.

7 Likes

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by enm(m): 9:30am On Sep 01, 2016
Op thank you for allowing God to use you to provide a wonderful morning. Abeg any piece on the aba women riot and others too.
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Nbote(m): 9:31am On Sep 01, 2016
And her MANHOOD lived on in her son Fela but eventually her grandson became a woman wrapper...
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by GoldenJAT(m): 9:33am On Sep 01, 2016
Dbeze:
they are still beta than u!!theirs is only sawdust....but urs is a combination of coconut water,fowl shit and nama shit!its truly a pathetic situation u find urself in....but pls tk solace in d fact that prayer changes every situation.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by mikeapollo: 9:59am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo

Who is copying what?
Margaret Ekpo....is that name from Igbo or Calabar?

1 Like

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Suurulere(m): 10:00am On Sep 01, 2016
enm:
Op thank you for allowing God to use you to provide a wonderful morning. Abeg any piece on the aba women riot and others too.

You are welcome. Will research on that too.
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by magabounce(m): 10:01am On Sep 01, 2016
repogirl:
In Fela's voice,

Political o Mama

Ideological o Mama

Influential o Mama

Guess where Fela got his knack for singing abusive songs targeted at the authority? grin
Azin ehhhh!!!!
I remember him mentioning Beko's name in sorroesorrow tears and blood!!!
Now I know where he got his fearlessness from!
Not his dad, but his mother

3 Likes

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Bimpe29: 10:08am On Sep 01, 2016
Iconic woman, what a memory lane!
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by walemoney007(m): 10:20am On Sep 01, 2016
magabounce:

Azin ehhhh!!!!
he didn't mention beko name in sorrow tears and blood...he mentioned it in unknown soldier

1 Like

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by magabounce(m): 10:25am On Sep 01, 2016
walemoney007:
he didn't mention beko name in sorrow tears and blood...he mentioned it in unknown soldier
thank u!!!
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Dbeze: 10:30am On Sep 01, 2016
GoldenJAT:
they are still beta than u!!theirs is only sawdust....but urs is a combination of coconut water,fowl shit and nama shit!its truly a pathetic situation u find urself in....but pls tk solace in d fact that prayer changes every situation.
oh dear, the whole world can testify to ur noise making. No be talk talk, ask d developed countries bfor u come to NL to disgrace urself nd ur ancestors.
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by SaffronSpice: 10:50am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo
You'll have to check the next thread to find something to stroke your ego.LOL.

While it can't be disputed that the Aba Women Riot(1929) occured before the Abeokuta Women Revolt(1947),the latter was inspired by tax-related uprisings in Egbaland that predate the Aba Women Riot.

Check this timeline: Ijemo Massacre(1914),Adubi War(1918),& Abeokuta Women Revolt(1947).

Capisce?
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 01, 2016
Woman was hardcore. She even gave it to the Oyibo district officer who shouted at her to shut up your women.

You may have been born but you were not bred. Can you speak to your mother like that?

Sadly all we have left now is Femi and seun Kuti.

5 Likes

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by SaffronSpice: 10:55am On Sep 01, 2016
slysteel:
Ripple effect of the aba women riots.
In a manner of speaking? Yes.
Factually?No.

1 Like

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by humbleAYO95(m): 11:01am On Sep 01, 2016
Oyo lo wa, women of now, are only into make up and modelling .
edlion57:
Pls who will join me to sack on old man at aso rock villa ...so that we will make history in time to come

2 Likes

Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by humbleAYO95(m): 11:02am On Sep 01, 2016
Shoro niyen.
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by 989900: 11:09am On Sep 01, 2016
magabounce:

Azin ehhhh!!!!

Fela dey for house,
Beko dey there too,
dem mama dey there too,
beautiful people dey there too,
frenchman dey there too,
press man dey there too,
150 of us dey there too.
Then suddenly, suddenly, suddenly..

Unknown soldier
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by 989900: 11:18am On Sep 01, 2016
oyb:
Woman was hardcore. She even gave it to the Oyibo district officer who shouted at her to shut up your women.

You may have been born but you were not bred. Can you speak to your mother like that?

Sadly all we have left now is Femi and seun Kuti.

Aunty Yeni is the closest to Fela and her grandma in character, she would have been a Fela if she were male, and if people weren't expecting egbon Femo to become something he is not -- a radical like Fela . . . his music is very good, but character is more like his mum, grand dad, or Olikoye like.
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by enigma2007(m): 11:42am On Sep 01, 2016
ichoku:

IGBO ndi oma ekene oooo

Dbeze:

You two should learn to do simple research before spewing rubbish..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adubi_War
http://dareolawin..com/2016/03/massacre-ijemo-people-deserve.html

Moreover, do not rubbish the contributions of those brave women (Either the Abeokuta or Aba uprisings or the taxation wars that pre-dated those two) with ethnic coloration or bigotry.. They do not deserve that nonsense!
Re: How Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti Sacked The Alake Of Egbaland In 1949 by walosky(m): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2016
seanswitch:
"The first major demonstration held on November 29 and 30, 1947. Many women took part. As they neared the Alake’s palace, she commanded the marchers to stop, closed her eyes and told them that all those who were afraid should leave while her eyes were closed. None withdrew. They maintained vigil during which they sang abusive songs."

You are a very nice COPY N PASTE machine o!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African History And Spirituality / Ahmad Bamalli's Installation As Emir Of Zazzau In Pictures / Is Port Harcout Not An Igboland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.