Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? (5499 Views)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath Day? / Today Is Sunday: How Do We Worship God / Is Sunday The Real Sabbath Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:41pm On Sep 01, 2016
Is Sunday the Christian Sabbath? Did Christianity move the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?

Also see: https://www.nairaland.com/1839822/keeping-sabbath

https://www.nairaland.com/2340731/should-keep-sabbath-not
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by chiviclife88: 12:55pm On Sep 01, 2016
The Judaic sabbath which is the biblical sabbath is Saturday.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by thesicilian: 12:56pm On Sep 01, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Is Sunday the Christian Sabbath? Did Christianity move the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?

I see most of your posts on Nairaland. it is quite easy to attack and find faults with what others believe in, the same way it is easier to criticise a scientific invention than to invent your own.
My question for you is, what do you believe in? What are your convictions? What drives you forward? What is your purpose in life?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Sep 01, 2016
chiviclife88:

The Judaic sabbath which is the biblical sabbath is Saturday.

Did Christianity move the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:08pm On Sep 01, 2016
thesicilian:

I see most of your posts on Nairaland. it is quite easy to attack and find faults with what others believe in, the same way it is easier to criticise a scientific invention than to invent your own.
My question for you is, what do you believe in? What are your convictions? What drives you forward? What is your purpose in life?

If you truly saw most of my posts you would have got the answer to your questions. Now back to the topic. Is Sunday the Christian Sabbath?

4 Likes

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:13pm On Sep 01, 2016
thesicilian:

He asks questions to start off discussions among Christians- he has been doing it for years now . He'd then give a suggested answer later on .

2 Likes

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by thesicilian: 1:26pm On Sep 01, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

He asks questions to start off discussions among Christians- he has been doing it for years now . He'd then give a suggested answer later on .
Not what I normally see, but if you say so...
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:51pm On Sep 03, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Thanks for putting him straight, let's hope he gets the gist. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 03, 2016
If only you can see. Sabbath is neither Sunday nor Saturday BUT it is a rest that is beyond the earthly. True Sabbath is when you cease living for yourSELF and allowing Christ to live out his own life in you.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Emusan(m): 7:48pm On Sep 03, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

No specific day for Sabbath any more after Christ has come.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by ichuka(m): 12:01am On Sep 04, 2016
Acts2:46
New American Standard Bible
Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart,

King James Bible
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

Matt12:8
New American Standard Bible
"For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

King James Bible
For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
Everyday is our Sabbath.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:26pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://gotquestions.org/Saturday-Sunday.html
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
There is nothing like the Christian Sabbath. There is only one Sabbath day, and it is Saturday. The Bible also never told Christians to disregard GOD's Sabbath.

3 Likes

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:05pm On Oct 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

There is nothing like the Christian Sabbath. There is only one Sabbath day, and it is Saturday. The Bible also never told Christians to disregard GOD's Sabbath.

Are Christians required to observe the Sabbath day?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:08pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Are Christians required to observe the Sabbath day?
Yes.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Yes.

Can you kindly furnish us with biblical verses that buttress your assertion?

2 Likes

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:23pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Can you kindly furnish us with biblical verses that buttress your assertion?

Exod. 20:8-11
Luke 4:16
Acts 17:2
Heb. 4:9
Luke 23:56, 24:1
Acts 16:13
Acts 13:42,44
Isa 58:13

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Exod. 20:8-11
Luke 4:16
Acts 17:2
Heb. 4:9
Luke 23:56, 24:1
Acts 16:13
Acts 13:42,44
Isa 58:13

Do you observe the Sabbath laws stated in these verses? If so how?
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 2:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you observe the Sabbath laws stated in these verses? If so how?

I try to observe the Sabbath as stated in Exod. 20:8-11 and Isa. 58:13 by refraining from secular work on that day, and not speaking my own words, nor finding my own pleasure. I devote that day to communion with GOD.

2 Likes

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I try to observe the Sabbath as stated in Exod. 20:8-11 and Isa. 58:13 by refraining from secular work on that day, and not speaking my own words, nor finding my own pleasure. I devote that day to communion with GOD.

But keeping the Sabbath law goes further than that. It includes the fact that you cannot leave your home on the Sabbath (Exodus 16:29), neither could you build a fire or turn on a switch (Exodus 35:3), and you cannot cause anyone else to work (Deuteronomy 5:14). What stops you from being put to death if you break the Sabbath law according to ==>(Exodus 31:15; Numbers 15:32–35)? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 2:30pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

But keeping the Sabbath law goes further than that. It includes the fact that you cannot leave your home on the Sabbath (Exodus 16:29), neither could you build a fire or turn on a switch (Exodus 35:3), and you cannot cause anyone else to work (Deuteronomy 5:14). What stops you from being put to death if you break the Sabbath law according to ==>(Exodus 31:15; Numbers 15:32–35)? undecided

Did Jesus sit at home on the Sabbath? I try to keep the Sabbath as Jesus and Paul kept it

I don't cause people to work on the Sabbath, anyway.

Remember, I'm a Christian. Jesus didn't put the woman caught in adultery to death. He forgave her, and bade her sin no more.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Did Jesus sit at home on the Sabbath? I try to keep the Sabbath as Jesus and Paul kept it

Jesus and the apostles especially Paul only went to the Synagogue to do missionary and evangelical work.

DoctorAlien:

I don't cause people to work on the Sabbath, anyway.

Do you drive or take public transport? Do you turn the switch on Sabbath days?

DoctorAlien:

Remember, I'm a Christian. Jesus didn't put the woman caught in adultery to death. He forgave her, and bade her sin no more.

Were the Gentile Christian coverts in Acts of the Apostles ever commanded to keep the Sabbath? undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 5:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Jesus and the apostles especially Paul only went to the Synagogue to do missionary and evangelical work.

Were the Gentile Christian coverts in Acts of the Apostles ever commanded to keep the Sabbath? undecided

So Jesus and Paul went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day just to do missionary work? Where did you read that? The Bible says it was Jesus custom to worship on the Sabbath: when do you think this custom started?

Why do you keep the other 9 commandments and refuse to keep the fourth one?

Also, tell me what Paul meant when he wrote to the Corinthian believers: "Imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by Scholar8200(m): 7:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
But Paul, inspired by the Spirit said,:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Colossians 2:16,17

How would you explain this?

P.S.: If you find this post offensive, ignore it!

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 8:53pm On Oct 12, 2016
Please follow this link to fully understand Colossians 2:14-17.

It is an unbiased, 100% Scriptural exposition on that passage.

Thank you.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22pm On Oct 13, 2016
DoctorAlien:

So Jesus and Paul went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day just to do missionary work? Where did you read that? The Bible says it was Jesus custom to worship on the Sabbath: when do you think this custom started?

Our Lord Jesus said He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel and where will you get the Jews, the Synagogue, obviously? Paul was sent to take the gospel to the Gentiles and I don't think they were commanded to observe the Sabbath, were they? undecided

DoctorAlien:

Why do you keep the other 9 commandments and refuse to keep the fourth one?

Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath and He is my Saviour and Lord. He has made me to know that the Sabbath is made for man and not the other way round. Did Jesus work on the Sabbath day or not?

DoctorAlien:

Also, tell me what Paul meant when he wrote to the Corinthian believers: "Imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."

You are yet to establish how Paul worshipped on the Sabbath day other than evangelising the Jews.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On Oct 13, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Please follow this link to fully understand Colossians 2:14-17.

It is an unbiased, 100% Scriptural exposition on that passage.

Thank you.

Here is a site you might find interesting.==> https://gotquestions.org/Sabbath-keeping.html
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by DoctorAlien(m): 5:37pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Our Lord Jesus said He was sent to the lost sheep of Israel and where will you get the Jews, the Synagogue, obviously? Paul was sent to take the gospel to the Gentiles and I don't think they were commanded to observe the Sabbath, were they? undecided

Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath and He is my Saviour and Lord. He has made me to know that the Sabbath is made for man and not the other way round. Did Jesus work on the Sabbath day or not?

You are yet to establish how Paul worshipped on the Sabbath day other than evangelising the Jews.

If you imply that Jesus worshipped on the Sabbath simply to find "the lost sheep of Israel," why then was Jesus going around preaching? Were Jews found then only in the temple on the Sabbath?

You still have not answered why you would keep nine of the commandments and refuse to keep the fourth one.

Prove that Jesus did secular work on the Sabbath day, or that He broke the provisions of Exodus 20:8-11.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:18pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

One of the biggest lies in christaindom is that Jesus changed the Sabbath day or that the Sabbathday was meant only for the Jews.
Jesus never did away with the 10commandments. the Sabbath was created and sancified by God even before man sinned. no other day was sancified and set apart by God. and only God's decision is the most important factor in deciding which day is the Sabbath day.

1 Like

Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
Scholar8200:
But Paul, inspired by the Spirit said,:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Colossians 2:16,17

How would you explain this?

P.S.: If you find this post offensive, ignore it!

Paul was not referring to the Sabbath. in that verse the sabbath is a Holy day set outside by God not Paul. Jesus said that it is better for Heaven and Earth to pass away than one dot or T of the ten commandements to be abolished, which includes the Sabbath day.
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

yes they kept the sabbath and they even asked paul to met with them in the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the
whole city gathered ...
biblehub.com/acts/13-44.htm
And the next sabbath day came almost the
whole city together to hear the word ... The
Gentiles Ask to Hear the Gospel ... many of the
Jews and devout converts to Judaism followed
Paul and Barnabas, ...
Re: Is Sunday The Christian Sabbath? by blueAgent(m): 11:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Thats legalism . that's what Jesus preached against the Jews were more concerned about not breaking the Sabbath than doing good.which is wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Don't Break The Hedge. / Are Superhuman Powers Real? / David Ibiyeomi As A White Garment Pastor (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.