Stats: 3,148,566 members, 7,801,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? (48203 Views)

Hot And Cold Stream In Ugep, Cross River State, Discovered By A Hunter / Lagos Airport Staff Who Steals Passengers' Belongings Discovered (pics, Video) / Naturalized US Citizens: Do You Get Treated/respected As A Native Born Citizen? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ashjay001(m): 2:11am On Sep 07, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Check the dictionary for the meaning of 'billionaire'. Very few people on the planet qualify. Where you take dey see them?

I luv d 3idiots! Its a shame u're using 'his' name, yet thinking like Chatur!

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 2:12am On Sep 07, 2016
ashjay001:

Forbes opinion is shit! That down there, on d last line, is what forbes actually thinks of dat report u shared!

Luisa Kroll,
FORBES STAFF 
My beat: How folks make, keep and spend
fortunes. FULL BIO 
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are
their own.
Provide a CREDIBLE link to show that they own it.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 2:13am On Sep 07, 2016
ashjay001:

So?!?! He's not a bloody billionaire or what?!!!!!!!??
You are joking right?
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 2:15am On Sep 07, 2016
ashjay001:

I luv d 3idiots! Its a shame u're using 'his' name, yet thinking like Chatur!
The point of this statement eludes me. From my experience, people resort to ad hominems when they run out of things to say. Have you?

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by vislabraye(m): 2:30am On Sep 07, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Larry Page and Sergey Brin(Not brothers though), Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg have an appearance of simplicity that stem from from their NATURE- they are techies/nerds. They will always appear 'simple' no matter how rich or poor they are. You should do a search of these people and see the kind of inanities' that these 'simple dressers' spend their money on. People derive their pleasures differently. My overall point is that we should not attack people who derive their own pleasures from 'dressing extravagantly' because a microscopic number of billionaires have decided to do otherwise; it has been the trend for the past few days and Nigerian celebrities are taking the most flak. I don't know much about Kate Middleton and I know that the Windsor family are not a billionaire family; they are millionaires at best. Dangote is always either on suit or that Hausa kind of dressing and there is nothing simple about any of that. You want make him wear chain?

That's what I like to point out. People saying Mark Zuckerberg is humble because he dresses simple is sounding like a broken record. Bill Gates for instance has art works worth 100s millions of dollars. Yet dem go curse our Nigerian big men because them buy range rover sport say dem dey show off.

We should learn not to treat people the way they dress. A poor man might dress rich to impress while a rich man might dress modest.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ranchhoddas: 2:35am On Sep 07, 2016
vislabraye:

That's what I like to point out. People saying Mark Zuckerberg is humble because he dresses simple is sounding like a broken record. Bill Gates for instance has art works worth 100s millions of dollars. Yet dem go curse our Nigerian big men because them buy range rover sport say dem dey show off.

We should learn not to treat people the way they dress. A poor man might dress rich to impress while a rich man might dress modest.
Exactly. Exactly. Exactly.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by danidee10(m): 2:40am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:
An incident at an airport really put me off.

This one time I was traveling by a certain airline - lets call it Amirates. My flight was going to be more than 24 hours, so lets just say I was very comfortably dressed. Now I enter the airport and started walking towards the business class queue to check in my luggage. One of the staff members approaches me and tells me please join another line - the one for Economy Class passengers. I wouldn’t have had an issue but I had paid for this ticket and I did not find that reasonable. I let him know that I was heading to the correct queue. He asked me to show my ticket. I did. He says he’s sorry, puts on those happy faces, says a thing or two and tells me to have a pleasant flight.

While this might not be a big deal, I really felt bad that how people have this biased perspective on how rich and successful people are supposed to look and behave and would not accept that looks do not define a person.

Looks like you lifted this thread from reddit.... grin
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Mom007(f): 2:57am On Sep 07, 2016
whiteroses:
Mines a bit similar.
A very hot guy asked me out. After a couple of date, i was meant to meet him up at 7pm at his yard. I got there at 7:30pm and he started talking down on me and said you know what? Why dont you leave I have my time planned out , you were meant to be here at 7pm.
Immediately he turned me away, i bursted into tears because I feel very insecure about my look at that time i was a bit chubby although i was considered attractive by some.
Everybody knows US weather is drastic and within 20 minutes it already turned dark and I was scared .
As i wept he sat me down and i caught him smiling at my predicament sad
I got up and left feeling deflated .
This guy dint know that I ride a nice car and my pad is hot.
Oneday, I threw a birthday party and he came as a mogbo moya guest, apparently his friend also told him who my "father" was bla bla bla.
He was acting proud at first but then he talked to me and took advantage of the vibe. We slept on same bed that night and Today he lives with me.
We fell in love naturally and the respect is there but whenever i remember his behaviour when we met, i feel some type of way :/
Please sister, am not understanding this your story. After karma helped you get even with the guy you still went ahead to date him? Smh

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Askmewhy(m): 2:58am On Sep 07, 2016
A lady came to my bank one day to pick up a western union after filling a transfer form decided to jump the queue and I was in the cubicle counting money because of crowd Immediately I saw her doing that I politely told her to please join the queue but she ignored me and moved ahead to the Teller, she looked at me and stretched her form to the Teller and I warned the Teller not to attend to any body who is not on the line, she started raising her voice and shouted and said all kind of un pleasant words and looking behind me thinking my back up is my supervisor and also demanded to see the manager. After wasting much time insisting on the conner I went to pick something I guess my Teller told her am his oga and the manager and he will not be able to attend to her, still stayed in conner until the last person was left probably cos if shame. Since then whenever she comes she will even greet me across the counter and follow the queue. So some people look at your size and think u are a small boy and will run their mouth.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Askmewhy(m): 2:58am On Sep 07, 2016
Askmewhy:
A lady came to my bank one day to pick up a western union after filling a transfer form decided to jump the queue and I was in the cubicle counting money because of crowd Immediately I saw her doing that I politely told her to please join the queue but she ignored me and moved ahead to the Teller, she looked at me and stretched her form to the Teller and I warned the Teller not to attend to any body who is not on the line, she started raising her voice and shouted and said all kind of un pleasant words and looking behind me thinking my back up is my supervisor and also demanded to see the manager. After wasting much time insisting on the conner I went to pick something I guess my Teller told her am his oga and the manager and he will not be able to attend to her, still stayed in conner until the last person was left probably cos if shame. Since then whenever she comes she will even greet me across the counter and follow the queue. So some people look at your size and think u are a small boy and will run their mouth.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by pippimp(m): 3:22am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:

This one time I was traveling by a certain airline - lets call it Amirates. My flight was going to be more than 24 hours, so lets just say I was very comfortably dressed. Now I enter the airport and started walking towards the business class queue to check in my luggage. One of the staff members approaches me and tells me please join another line - the one for Economy Class passengers. I wouldn’t have had an issue but I had paid for this ticket and I did not find that reasonable. I let him know that I was heading to the correct queue. He asked me to show my ticket. I did. He says he’s sorry, puts on those happy faces, says a thing or two and tells me to have a pleasant flight.

While this might not be a big deal, I really felt bad that how people have this biased perspective on how rich and successful people are supposed to look and behave and would not accept that looks do not define a person.

I get treated like that all the time. But only when i'm in Nigeria though. Everywhere else in the world, i am treated like a regular normal human being.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by XCLUX(m): 3:46am On Sep 07, 2016
Mine was with a diamond bank customer care, he snub me for like 4 times while attending to other people but I finally lodge complain and he saw my account balance the guy comport and started doing normal, all that glitter are not gold, some are fake.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Ghost447(m): 4:11am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

So here I am, enjoying my virtual wealth. grin
We're on the same page.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by karryn(f): 4:28am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:

we. Live in a country where it is believed that rich men have big tummies,always wearing agbada or suits And most especially carry guards around, my dear that's how money has stolen d brains of almost all nigerians
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Andrew3(m): 4:55am On Sep 07, 2016
It was a furniture outlet in dubai, an Egyptian was the attendant. I entered with my friend and was looking at a marble made dinning table. A voice came from the attendant desk don't touch and no pictures. We enquired about the price but he was even reluctant to tell us. Later he managed to come and the answer was zis one is $230k last. Ze cheap ones are over there. We left. The next day we came in and droped $230k cash on his table. The only word that started coming from his mouth was sir sir sir.

This table was actually not mine but a political demagog who is also an aka money squander sent us.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Akexstinger(m): 5:08am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
abeg abeg abeg. That line is so Africanish.Mark zukerburg that came to Lagos who is worth billions of dollars came from one continent wearing shirt and jeans. If an African was worth that much we no go hear word.agbada flowing everywhere, sycophantic dancers hailing and all sort of craps that will inflate his ego

On several occasions which I later realised I have unknown walked by millionaires in just jeans shirt and palm slippers meanwhile the bank workers that earn 60k a month will wear designer suits looking like they own the world

If you judge people by how they look outwardly you will miss a lot of opportunities

My mom and I were jisting some time ago and she said millionaires, billionaires and rich guys love to dress like they're broke meanwhile you will see cleaners and low income earners in an organisation dressing like they have a lot.you will see a cleaner that earns 15k a month borrowing 40k TO buy clothes for owanmbe. Difference IS that the rich save give invest and look ordinary but the lower ones will be looking so expensive on borrowed everything

The occasion and the environment matters a lot. Mark, on a business/formal meeting with president, he had to look formal for the occasion and when he was asked why he wasn't putting on his usual jeans and Polo, he simply gave a simple reply " I came in to meet the President, not just an ordinary person, so it's a mark of respect that I dress to suit the occasion"
If you will also recall, when Wale was invited to the white house last year to meet the President and white house members, he came in his usual dress, and he was severely criticized for that.
Mark already knew where he was coming to in nigeria, a hot zone, densely polluted, and first meeting will be with ICT geek dudes and it's unannounced visit, so it would have been wrong for him to have put on suit.
When you see all the big men of the world converging for World Economic Summit (WES), how do they dress like? So there should be factors responsible for our dress pattern.
And mind you, mark traveled in a private jet.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by jaybee3(m): 5:22am On Sep 07, 2016
Oprah Winfrey once got racially profiled in Switzerland whilst trying to buy a mere $38k bag

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/08/the-sad-story-of-oprah-the-handbag-and-the-shop-assistant/
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by 222Martins(m): 5:23am On Sep 07, 2016
Scenario A-: Last year, i bought land somewhere and decided to fence the land. I went in my engineer's car as i have a habit of not going to site with my car. I was wearing a short and a singlet. Work was already in progress when the guys living in the neighbourhood came out threatening fire and brimstone; just because the trip of sand we ordered took almost half of the road. I and my engineer tried to pacify them all to no avail and one of them in particular said he will slap us and nothing will happen (na this one vex me pass). I made enquiry about the guy that threatened to slap me and i was shown his house, a cute 4-bedroom bungalow. I said good. Then i proceeded to raise a 2-storey building (6 blocks of flat) in approx eight months. Now whenever the guy sees me, he hails me calling me chairman but me i no send am.

Scenario b-: In 2009, i went to open a dorm account in GTB and the guy i approached, without even hearing me out rudely told me in a loud voice that they don't open such account for students. Chaiii!!!!! I was embarrassed, Fast forward to two years later, the guy couldn't even look at my face when i came to carry out transactions. Till today, i still see that guy sitting in the same position; all i can do is just smile.

Scenario c-: There's one question i keep getting at police checkpoints till today, "Na you get this car? After scanning through my papers and looking at my face repeatedly, the next thing i hear is: "Oga abeg no vex, anything for the boys? If there's one group that's good at looking down on people, it's public servants; i mean government workers. Their own too much smiley smiley

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 5:33am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:

Believe me when I say people will treat you poorly sometimes and regret it later but it's for a purpose

It is inspiration. ..sometimes it teaches you who you really are though and how your status doesn't define you but what lies in your heart and the love you have for your fellow man

I recommend everyone to work in retail angry birds won't phase you in life at all

Some people thrive on Drama
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by 4nobody4every1: 5:36am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
abeg abeg abeg. That line is so Africanish.Mark zukerburg that came to Lagos who is worth billions of dollars came from one continent wearing shirt and jeans. If an African was worth that much we no go hear word.agbada flowing everywhere, sycophantic dancers hailing and all sort of craps that will inflate his ego

On several occasions which I later realised I have unknown walked by millionaires in just jeans shirt and palm slippers meanwhile the bank workers that earn 60k a month will wear designer suits looking like they own the world

If you judge people by how they look outwardly you will miss a lot of opportunities

My mom and I were jisting some time ago and she said millionaires, billionaires and rich guys love to dress like they're broke meanwhile you will see cleaners and low income earners in an organisation dressing like they have a lot.you will see a cleaner that earns 15k a month borrowing 40k TO buy clothes for owanmbe. Difference IS that the rich save give invest and look ordinary but the lower ones will be looking so expensive on borrowed everything
kiss kiss

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by pepigeorge(m): 5:50am On Sep 07, 2016
Bisjosh:
First of all, u dress the way u wanna be addressed.

I have never been in that situation before.
though I dress good but many don't know how wealthy I am.

Modesty I guess... grin

Lol.... abeg show me how to dress like Mr President. ...
cos I want to be address as Mr president. .....

Mind u , i nor see weitin mark Zuckerberg wear.... wen una dem dey address am like king

Change that mentality or u may miss ur helper
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by nnomy3: 6:11am On Sep 07, 2016
I've experienced this alot. Well, I look way younger than my age and I don't dress extravagantly, not that I'm old anyway. Let me make reference to the most recent that happened to me.

I just rented an apartment in Surulere, went to get vegetables from a lady closeby, I told her I needed small...the next thing she asked was, how much did they send me to buy...arrrrrhg!!! I politely told her that no one sent me.

Probably because I was dressed casually, (Jean and polo)
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by tunde1200(m): 6:27am On Sep 07, 2016
same with me in Senegal airport....
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by 19naia(m): 6:31am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:
is asa not in the same show buisness. How come we don't know too much about her wink
lagbaja nko wink

Yes Ooo na true. The big difference is Asa has real talent while Davido has to put in extra effort to convince. Go and see the quality of Asa unplugged live performance versus quality of Davido live unplugged performance. Davido would not shine without plugged in equipment to help fake it beyond his inabilities. So he uses his money to show what he does not have other wise.

The whole false image projection is what is wrong with the world and why incompetent people run the world and smart people are stuck behind the scenes trying to forwarn of the calamity the status quo is creating for the whole world to fall into.
The suit and tie culture sef is slowly growing into a bad reputation around the world even in USA of course. Just look at the american billionaires in the "Smart tech" business and how they dress. The smartest billionaires who actually do real work and create real ingenius substance, they dress like Mark zuckerberg and Steve Jobs. All the rest dress to meet an image because they are lacking in real substance.
Unfortunately this is what has been ingrained culturally and enforced on the job market and now the job market is full of fake jobs, false promises of salary payments to hard workers and fake leaders in politics with no real merit other than they are eager to get hands on public money and executive powers.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ButterFrost212(f): 6:32am On Sep 07, 2016
evolg:

So in other words you're rich and this thread is for rich people who have been mistreated? Oh well, I shouldn't be here then.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by ButterFrost212(f): 6:34am On Sep 07, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
Mine is the complete opposite. The first impression people have of being from a wealthy background. Dem no know say shishi no gum me. cry

Even when I try to point out my #1,000 darling yaki hair and fairly used shoes/clothes, they go "yea right, you're just trying to be humble". angry

So here I am, enjoying my virtual wealth. grin
This is absolutely me. grin grin
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by xreal: 6:36am On Sep 07, 2016
Hahaa.

Reminds me of my RICH friend in lagos...
He works for a Politician (close allie to Jagaban), this man own a mining company in Lagos. And my friend reports directly to the man's son and sometimes to the man himself.

This certain day, my friend walked into the bank to confirm certain money paid (alert failure).

He walked in so so dirty, he saw a lady in the bank looking decent, and the lady never looked down on him, she smiled in return and that was the beginning of a family... nine months later, the lady was in New York to have her first baby for my friend, second baby was in thr UK, and the third US again.

It's a lesson to all.

All those 'dress as u wanna be addressed' things are b'shaiitt.

I'ld rather look dirthy while at work and have billions in my pocket than live on borrowed suit at works and have nothing.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Electronzeez(m): 6:41am On Sep 07, 2016
Everybody on this thread is are forming familiarity .

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by CzarChris(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2016
This stuff happens to me every single time, why? Cos I'm not really such a fantastic dresser, I wear whatever I feel comfortable with.

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by xreal: 6:44am On Sep 07, 2016
nnomy3:
I've experienced this alot. Well, I look way younger than my age and I don't dress extravagantly, not that I'm old anyway. Let me make reference to the most recent that happened to me.

I just rented an apartment in Surulere, went to get vegetables from a lady closeby, I told her I needed small...the next thing she asked was, how much did they send me to buy...arrrrrhg!!! I politely told her that no one sent me.

Probably because I was dressed casually, (Jean and polo)

ahh.
This one gidi gaan.
You must really look young. Keep it up abeg.
Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by redcliff: 6:46am On Sep 07, 2016
byvan03:

She was no sales girl ooo, probably she is used to seeing thick madams or pregnant women buying baby things . Also consider that it was 7years ago.

7years agom 3k no be beans o

Re: Has Someone Treated You Poorly Until They Discovered You Were Wealthy? by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 07, 2016
SAMBARRY:

People should cool it with the Zuckerberg comparisons. Not all American billionaires are that modest. That's just zuckerberg's own style. Wealthy Americans can also be very ostentatious and embark on crazy fantasy spending, same thing with the Europeans and the Arabs( I think the Arabs are even more lavish). Being lavish isn't just an African thing, people all over the world tend to live above their means, its now a way of life. The so-called modest rich guy wearing jeans and tee is probably wearing a $200k wristwatch or a million dollar ring that you wouldn't notice. Basically what I'm saying is that it's not only Africans like to show off, I mean these bloody Americans named a show Rich kids of Beverly Hills, like wtf.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Based In Japan Reveals Why He Has Not Gone Into Crime. Photos / Rare Picture Of Niger Bridge In Onitsha / Anambra Airport Is Ready, Waiting For NCAA Approval For Commercial Flights

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117