Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,934 members, 7,806,708 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize (9454 Views)

£5,000 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Comes To A Nigerian, See Who / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. / Etisalat Prize For Literature Announces 2018 Call For Entries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

I'm sorry, but your mentality is quite shallow. Do even know what The Commonwealth Organization is? Where has any of your works been published for you to feel they may plagiarize your work?
Forgive me, it is still unpublished but what if the judges or anybody in the Body copies my wonderful piece of Art and publishes it before me the original writer?

Monkey dey work Baboon dey chop ba?

I need all guarantee that this body or organization is totally safe before i go ahead. I have had enough with scammers.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by musicwriter(m): 10:47am On Sep 04, 2016
AmuEwu:

I hear.

I hope you reject every western 'invention'

Why are we not inventing? Why are we always the one importing from the west?

This's what should bother you, and not whether I like western inventions.

Look for the answer and you'll understand you're already in another round of slavery.

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by musicwriter(m): 11:09am On Sep 04, 2016
realmindz:

Africans love help, free lunch and gifts. With this mentality, we shall remain slaves forever to other thinking nations earning from their sweats and sacrifices.

Freedom is not free, it is earned.

slavery is a mental disease transmitted through inheritance.

even Asians have seen our weaknesses and want to enjoy the cake of enslaving us.
Just recently, our African leaders were at Kenya for the TICAD (Tokyo International Conference of African Development)
You blacks really think they care so much about u?

The rules of war has never changed since inception, it only goes thru modernisation..such is slavery.

You africans shall be slaves forever until u sweat for your gaddamm freedom!!!!

Well, you guys should try ur best in this competition, but have in mind that free lunch does not exist....

Someone just replied me and asked if I would reject the £2,500. He thinks the money is free!!.

What he doesn't know is the competition prize is meant to buy his loyalty.

What he doesn't know is Britain is using such competition to keep expanding the English language as much as possible at the expense of our native languages.

And that Japan- Africa conference in Kenya, I heard the news and the first thing I did was verify the population of Japan.

Population of Japan; 127,524,465.

Japan, a country much less than the population Nigeria or Ethiopia, or Congo, wants to save Africa and our brainless leaders are not asking ''how come?''.

How come a country of just 127 million have the wealth to save a continent of over 1 Billion people? How come?

Why are we the ones always taking handouts? The other day it was Mark Zuckerberg, a boy of 31 years of age wanting to save Africa! And everybody is excited including our president!!

Honestly, its beginning to appear to me there's something wrong with the brain of blackman in Africa.

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by 1miccza: 11:16am On Sep 04, 2016
Op you are the bomb keep up the good work...
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by realmindz: 11:21am On Sep 04, 2016
musicwriter:

Someone just replied me and asked if I would reject the £2,500. He thinks the money is free!!.

What he doesn't know is the competition prize is meant to buy his loyalty.

And that Japan- Africa conference in Kenya, I heard the news and the first thing I did was verify the population of Japan.

Population of Japan; 127,524,465.

Japan, a country much less than the population Nigeria or Ethiopia, or Congo, wants to save Africa and our brainless leaders are not asking ''how come?''.

How come a country of just 127 million have the wealth to save a continent of over 1 Billion people? How come?

Why are we the ones always taking handouts? The other day it was Mark Zuckerberg, a boy of 31 years of age wanting to save Africa! And everybody is excited including our president!!

Honestly, its beginning to appear to me there's something wrong with the brain of blackman in Africa.

I tell u, population is nothing. A nation with 500 thinkers out of 1000 people will enslave a nation of 10 thousand who ve people of baboon brains but only 10 thinkers.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by duketunde: 11:41am On Sep 04, 2016
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Quasarr(f): 11:44am On Sep 04, 2016
skarlett:

I'm here dear, good morning
Goodmorning dear.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 11:46am On Sep 04, 2016
Vessi:

Forgive me, it is still unpublished but what if the judges or anybody in the Body copies my wonderful piece of Art and publishes it before me the original writer?

Monkey dey work Baboon dey chop ba?

I need all guarantee that this body or organization is totally safe before i go ahead. I have had enough with scammers.

You are funny. Have you read the shortlisted and winning stories from the previous years? Read and compare with yours (that's one way to grow as a writer) and you may just be ashamed of your "beautiful work". I wish I could talk to you one-on-one.

The judges are established writers and sometimes professors of creative writing and, I'm not discouraging you, but your story may not even be good enough for the shortlist. I used to think like you until I got better exposure.

Has your work appeared anywhere? Online and in print?
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

You are funny. Have you read the shortlisted and winning stories from the previous years? Read and compare with yours (that's one way to grow as a writer) and you may just be ashamed of your "beautiful work". I wish I could talk to you one-on-one.

The judges are established writers and sometimes professors of creative writing and, I'm not discouraging you, but your story may not even be good enough for the shortlist. I used to think like you until I got better exposure.

Has your work appeared anywhere? Online and in print?

Erm, never bothered to publish any of my works.

Shamefully, I'm unable to fund any.

Well, maybe I might not be shortlisted, but eventually it would feel good to have my own Book, yes? Though my final destination was prize or fame.

Biko, give me names of Books that have won this prize? I hope they are in English, I'd prefer the most recent one too.

(This is my first Book and it is on-Crime & Investigation, Politics, Love, Friendship. Readers of my piece of Art have said I'm going to a zone very few Nigerians have ventured into. I hope to be a Founding Father of this world here in Nigeria. PS I'm a Science student in the University so cut my Work some slacks. grin).
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by duketunde: 1:06pm On Sep 04, 2016
Check out the 2015 winner of the Africa category 'Light by LESLEY NNEKA ARIMAH https://granta.com/light/
Vessi:

Well, maybe I might not be shortlisted, but eventually it would feel good to have my own Book, yes? Though my final destination was prize or fame.

Biko, give me names of Books that have won this prize? I hope they are in English, I'd prefer the most recent one too.

(This is my first Book and it is on-Crime & Investigation, Politics, Love, Friendship. Readers of my piece of Art have said I'm going to a zone very few Nigerians have ventured into. I hope to be a Founding Father of this world here in Nigeria. PS I'm a Science student in the University so cut my Work some slacks. grin).
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by duketunde: 1:20pm On Sep 04, 2016
Ok lemme also add this: Five Steps to writing a story

Steps one in writing a novel is choosing a good idea....

step two is choosing your protagonist ( the main character of the story you are about to write)

Third step is choosing your point of view(POV)...there are 3 types of POV...

Fourth step is choosing your Novels Setting (Time and Place where the events you plan to write about panned out).

The final step is writing the plot outline..( Story goal- what the protagonist is trying to achieve., Consequences - What happens if the protagonist fails to achieve the story goal.. for more drop me a mail tunderoc@yahoo.com
Vessi:

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 1:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
duketunde:
Check out the 2015 winner of the Africa category 'Light by LESLEY NNEKA ARIMAH https://granta.com/light/

Jesus!! Is that Chimamanda Adichie's litte sister?

She writes so much as her,- about love, family and infact, a girl.
Her diction(choice of words) and literary compositions and twist of words are impeccable.

OH MY GOD I don't even stand a chance if an equal or even better story is replicated this year.

Choi!!! I'll still give it a shot shah, seeing I stand nothing to lose, money or whatsoever!

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 1:45pm On Sep 04, 2016
Vessi:

When you are good enough, you don't spend a kobo on publishing your works. Big publishing houses will beg to publish you, you will sign book contract running into millions, do book signings, readings (like musicians do shows), etc.

And I advise you start with short forms, that is, short stories. And who said no one has written on the themes you mentioned above? There are many books on those topics, bro.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 1:49pm On Sep 04, 2016
Vessi:

Jesus!! Is that Chimamanda Adichie's litte sister?

She writes so much as her,- about love, family and infact, a girl.
Her diction(choice of words) and literary compositions and twist of words are impeccable.

OH MY GOD I don't even stand a chance if an equal or even better story is replicated this year.

Choi!!! I'll still give it a shot shah, seeing I stand nothing to lose, money or whatsoever!

Hahahahahahaha!

Lesly was shortlisted for The Caines Prize this year (biggest African literary prize). Her books (a novel and a collection of stories) will be published next year in the US. You should read her Caines prize story, and you will be humbled, that's if you even understand the story (no offense meant).

Each year, the stories get better. I could send you a PDF of all the Caines prize shortlisted stories (for this year), including the winning story by Lidudumalingani Mqombothi.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 2:00pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

Hahahahahahaha!

Lesly was shortlisted for The Caines Prize this year (biggest African literary prize). Her books (a novel and a collection of stories) will be published next year in the US. You should read her Caines prize story, and you will be humbled, that's if you even understand the story (no offense meant).

Each year, the stories get better. I could send you a PDF of all the Caines prize shortlisted stories (for this year), including the winning story by Lidudumalingani Mqombothi.
Send Lidudumalingani's story to ebukalargas@gmail.com and thank you.

This news has weakened and buried my morale.
Inferiority complex no be better thing.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

When you are good enough, you don't spend a kobo on publishing your works. Big publishing houses will beg to publish you, you will sign book contract running into millions, do book signings, readings (like musicians do shows), etc.

And I advise you start with short forms, that is, short stories. And who said no one has written on the themes you mentioned above? There are many books on those topics, bro.

This is a sure way to stardom man!! I need to overhaul my systematic, simplified and mechanical method and inject into my work, more literature and complex diction.

Where is my Literature textBook?

(Just remembered I never had or offered it, okay I need to purchase one.)

Infact, I need you to read a little bit of my shiit and encourage me to give up on wasting my time.grin
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 2:17pm On Sep 04, 2016
Vessi:

Send Lidudumalingani's story to ebukalargas@gmail.com and thank you.

This news has weakened and buried my morale.
Inferiority complex no be better thing.

Sent. Plus other shortlisted stories.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

Thank you.

PS: Is there a way you can rate my trash with a scale of -10 to +5, cause surely it aint up to +10grin
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 2:42pm On Sep 04, 2016
Vessi:

Thank you.

PS: Is there a way you can rate my trash with a scale of -10 to +5, cause surely it aint up to +10grin

Don't call it trash. It's easier to fix a bad page than a blank page. Where can I read it?
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

Don't call it trash. It's easier to fix a bad page than a blank page. Where can I read it?

I can snap a few pages and send you on whatsapp?
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

Your comments here are quite enlightening. Please, kindly forward those books to me too; skilledwriter88 (at) gmail dot com

Thanks.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 04, 2016
MissingBudget:

Okay how about I upload it here? We would just be derailing this thread and that was why I opted for WhatsApp. But you refused to reply me so I'm guessing you are not comfortable on WhatsApp platform so, how do I send you first-three pages of the Book to read?

Na Beg ogrin.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by bibijay123(f): 11:14pm On Sep 04, 2016
veekid:
Bibi where are you?

My husband is always looking out for me. I am here now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by bibijay123(f): 11:19pm On Sep 04, 2016
Quasarr:
AudreyTimms(hope I got it right?)
Safarigirl
TifannyJ
Bibijay123
Skarlett
Foxyflow
Royver
Come all in here guys!

Thank u
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by nenergy(m): 4:00pm On Sep 06, 2016
I'm interested!
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Jaynewrite(f): 11:10pm On Sep 06, 2016
[quote author=MissingBudget post=49064516]

Hahahahahahaha!

Each year, the stories get better. I could send you a PDF of all the Caines prize shortlisted stories (for this year), including the winning story by Lidudumalingani Mqombothi. [/quotes]

please send to me I will really appreciate.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 6:54am On Sep 07, 2016
gensteejay:

Your comments here are quite enlightening. Please, kindly forward those books to me too; skilledwriter88 (at) gmail dot com

Thanks.

Check your email, bro. I've sent them.

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 6:58am On Sep 07, 2016
Vessi:

Okay how about I upload it here? We would just be derailing this thread and that was why I opted for WhatsApp. But you refused to reply me so I'm guessing you are not comfortable on WhatsApp platform so, how do I send you first-three pages of the Book to read?

Na Beg ogrin.

Is it handwritten? If so, you could still attach to the body of an email. Or how do I add you on whatsapp (seems you're more comfortable with that medium). grin
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by MissingBudget: 9:19am On Sep 07, 2016
[quote author=Jaynewrite post=49137427][/quote]

No email address. How do I send them?
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 07, 2016
MissingBudget:

Check your email, bro. I've sent them.
Received. Thanks.
Re: CALL FOR ENTRIES: 2017 Commonwealth Short Prize by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
MissingBudget:

Is it handwritten? If so, you could still attach to the body of an email. Or how do I add you on whatsapp (seems you're more comfortable with that medium). grin

LOL Okay Whatsapp

When you're done getting the number, quote me and edit the number so I can edit my original Post too and wipe the number.

FearOfScammers:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Religion Jingoism (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Ikeogu Oke Wins 2017 Nlng Prize For Literature / How To Write A Movie Script. Help Needed!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.