Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,069 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. (60553 Views)

Don't just imagine, start! / Paystack Records N1 Billion In Monthly Transactions Value / When Naira Was Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by SmartMugu: 5:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
InHim4Him:
Yea! I got $9 for #1 for BTA in my first travel outside Nigeria in 1979. My first car in 1981 was #2500. We used to buy chicken between 6 and 12 kobo. Shagari and Umar Dikko started doing us in when they started importing everything including baby food. And Buhari Idiagbon completed the task and all our industries including Mandilas (Volkswagen), Kaduna Textilles and PAN folded up. And since then, we have been on a downward spiral.
I can bet back then, many people couldnt afford N2500 you bought the car for. Salaries were probably in kobos then, Right?
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Frankaka8(m): 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
ubsilas:
OP do something about your fingernail. it looks terrible
undecided
Nigerians and olofofo!!!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by mamajaz(f): 5:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
ur ryt bro.. But do u think it can be like dis again?
Hell nay!!! cry
prevail23:
Hell nay!!!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by demsid(m): 5:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
SmartMugu:

No, I want that techno wey u advertize. N87, last. grin
u funny I swear, screen guard sef u no go see

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by millionaireman: 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
Tonyreal49:
buhari be like
Erosion of Naira value...

Blame Muhammadu Buhari for Nigeria's woes of today.

In December 1983, barely-educated Buhari with his gang of soldiers stacked a democratic atmosphere in Nigeria.
Other military dictatorship followed Buharis.
Then followed the about 35 locusts years of military dictatorship with little or no real development infrastructure established.

To legitimize his dictatorship before Western Governments, one of the Buhari dictator successors, IBB, accepted IMF conditions which started to erode the value of the Naira.

Nigeria's education standard hugely declined, resulting to the ill-informed electorate who had to elect a Muhammadu Buhari in 2015 to come back to preside over them.

It's a viscous circle.

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by juman(m): 5:57pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

Let me tell you what fayose was thinking and saying back then. He was saying, "Buhari, Babangida, Abacha, Obasanjo, have destroyed this country. We need the youths to be given the opportunity to lead and change this country for the better. If i am given the opportunity, i will perform magic and make this country great". He was a teen at that time. What is the reality today? Nigerians don't fully understand that it's leaders come from it's citizenry and if the mentality of the citizenry is phucked up, the leaders they produce will be phucked up.

I agree with you that fayose first term was not good like other pdp governors that time.

But importantly olusegun obasanjo failed to lead the country to success.
If the sixteen billion dollars he spent on the electricity was able to generate like twelve thousand MW, by now nigeria would have been a better country.

If election was free and fair that time yaradua and jonathan would not have been the presidents.
So the sixteen failed years of pdp is on the head of obasanjo.

You know nigeria became a failed state because there was no gradual progress at all.
If those led the country were able to add their own value to the country by now we suppose to have more than 20kWM.

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by ProfAkintade: 5:57pm On Sep 02, 2016
ANEC INSTITUTE
PRESENT

ZERO CAPITAL BUSINESS.
` EARN EXTRA INCOME SEMINAR.

SEMINARS PROVIDE A PERFECT SETTING TO GET PEOPLE EXCITED ABOUT A NEW VENTURE. THE ENERGETIC ATMOSPHERE CAN MAKE IT EASY TO BUY INTO WHAT APPEARS TO BE PROMISING BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY OR INVESTMENT PRODUCT.

WANT TO BE YOUR OWN BOSS OR EARN EXTRA INCOME?
STARTING AN INTERNET BIZ CAN SOUND LIKE A DREAM: WORK FROM HOME SET YOUR OWN HOURS BE YOUR OWN BOSS. MOST INTERNET BUSINESS REQUIRE SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENTS OF TIME AND MONEY. BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT, REGISTRTATION IS FREE AND YOU GET UP TO 50DOLLARS ON REGISTRATION WHICH IS WITHDRAWABLE INTO YOUR NIGERIA BANK ACCONT. THIS WORTH MORE THAN THE PRICE. GET YOUR LAPTOP READY, TABLET OR ANY ANDROID DEVICE AND YOU GOOD TO GO.

REGISTRATION FEE: #4,500 PLUS

HOW DO I REGISTER? SIMPLY FORWARD YOUR NAME AND PHONE NUMBER TO:
email:acuteinstitute@gmail.com

OR get the ebook at a cheaper rate if you stay far away, on how to get it contact the above address.

DATE:17/ 09/ 2016
TIME: 8AM
DURATION: 3HRS
VENUE: FACULTY OF ART AUD 1, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY ILE-IFE.

KOWNLEDGE IS THE BASIC FOUNDATION OF ALL BUSINESS AND NOT CAPITAL.
GET THE KNOWLEDGE NEEDED.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT MLM (Multi Level Marketing).
NO BUYING OF PRODUCT.
NO HAWKING.

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by ohmnetwork1: 6:06pm On Sep 02, 2016
haibe:
I wish i didnt open this thread.. anyway its not just about govt fault and all ... inflation is bound to happen so we would expect that earnings were far lower than it is now. just that the economy is now tending towards hyper inflation without a corresponding increase in minimum wage angry

We need to face it, we the masses should also be blamed for our dead exchange rate. Tired of blaming govt jare
Ur point is very valid. Nigerian are dollar sick....
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by samsard(m): 6:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

Why is Dangote increasing the price of cement? Is he importing it too? This is beyond 'Patronizing made in Nigeria'.
His cost of production goes up as the price of virtually all goods and services have gone up in the country. Its a reaction to the current condition of the Nigerian economy You dont have to be importing goods for that to happen.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by daveP(m): 6:13pm On Sep 02, 2016
days we'd be given coins to school and we'll still bring back change again.

we Nigerians kinda love inflation.

One stuff gets increased in market and we too after a few weeks of grumbling, start buying at new price even when ridiculous.

Wetin man go do sha?
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 6:17pm On Sep 02, 2016
juman:

I agree with you that fayose first term was not good like other pdp governors that time.

But importantly olusegun obasanjo failed to lead the country to success.
If the sixteen billion dollars he spent on the electricity was able to generate like twelve thousand MW, by now nigeria would have been a better country.

If election was free and fair that time yaradua and jonathan would not have been the presidents.
So the sixteen failed years of pdp is on the head of obasanjo.

You know nigeria became a failed state because there was no gradual progress at all.
If those led the country were able to add their own value to the country by now we suppose to have more than 20kWM.

You don't seem to want to get the point. What you are saying is that fayose is the standard by comparing his first and second term. I want you to understand that the military is not responsible for Nigerians burning people in the streets, or collecting bribe to vote.

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jmichlins(m): 6:31pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

Why is Dangote increasing the price of cement? Is he importing it too? This is beyond 'Patronizing made in Nigeria'.
this is the most selfish question and stupid one I have read here for a long while. The diesel he uses to run his firm, run his fleet of trucks and maintain them do they come cheap. He increased the price to meet the reality of the situation we found ourselves in. So you want him to lower price as a patriotic citizen because he runs a charity organisation. This is a man that lost a good percentage of his worth in less than ten months. Be considerate and sincerely with this mindset I don't see you running a successful enterprise
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by juman(m): 6:35pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

You don't seem to want to get the point. What you are saying is that fayose is the standard by comparing his first and second term. I want you to understand that the military is not responsible for Nigerians burning people in the streets, or collecting bribe to vote.

One thing is clear, this apc government failure is not caused by the people.

APC should stand up to their challenges and give sensible governance.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by flatheadedbigot: 6:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
my people perish because, they lack vision,back in the days, HOS Gowon once said the problem with Nigeria was not the money but how to spend it.Then Nigeria's population was less than 70m,he went on to introduce "odogi" and corruption crept in,since then Nigeria have been swimming in the gutter of corruption to the point of no redemption.we used to buy better quality peak milk for 15 kobo, minerals (coke, fanta, crest ) no pepsi then for 10 kobo. If you have vision less leaders and "mumu" followers all them will perish in the trench. Over the last 6-7 years alone over $150 Billion was looted or unaccounted for accrued oil money. Folks, where is the hope?

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jmoore(m): 6:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmichlins:
this is the most selfish question and stupid one I have read here for a long while. The diesel he uses to run his firm, run his fleet of trucks and maintain them do they come cheap. He increased the price to meet the reality of the situation we found ourselves in. So you want him to lower price as a patriotic citizen because he runs a charity organisation. This is a man that lost a good percentage of his worth in less than ten months. Be considerate and sincerely with this mindset I don't see you running a successful enterprise
You failed to comprehend. My question was meant to buttress the point that going for Made in Nigeria goods only is not the solution.

Next time, calm down, read and digest before you quote me.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by flatheadedbigot: 6:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
SmartMugu:

I can bet back then, many people couldnt afford N2500 you bought the car for. Salaries were probably in kobos then, Right?
ah ah, salary was like 40 naira /month for laborers

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by justhenry(m): 6:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
op, is that "1 dog" that i'm seeing??
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by saintdennis(m): 6:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
ubsilas:
OP do something about your fingernail. it looks terrible
undecided

So you a guy? And you're concerned with a fellow guys nails?

Wtf shocked
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by persius555(m): 6:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
We destroyedestroyed all that we had as a country. We brought in selfish and mindless leaders who never meant well for Nigeria.
I do not weep for this generation but the upcoming generation who have no foundation to build on.
It is so so sad cry cry. We never had plans for the future.
Now, we are too scared to start afresh, that is if we know where to start from. I cannot blame the leaders without blaming us as a people.

We allowed this rot upon ourselves.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jmichlins(m): 6:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

You failed to comprehend. My question was meant to buttress the point that going for Made in Nigeria goods only is not the solution.

Next time, calm down, read and digest before you quote me.
either way, patronising Made in Nigeria goes a long way to salvaging this situation
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

yes they're some raw materials dangote do import in the making of cement... Tho I don't knw the names ... But he imports them from Israel .... I know this coz I'm a dangote staff at dangote cement ibese Ogun state... And the truth is sales has bn very poor lately...
Dangote is currently a silent wailer
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jeff1607(m): 7:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
d cover don tear

Haahhahahahahhahahahahahhhahahahhhhhhha
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by InHim4Him(m): 7:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
SmartMugu:

My salary was #150 a month.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 7:48pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

The military did not destroy Nigeria. It's citizens did. And they are still doing it till today.

He fails to realize that the generals are all products of the citizenery. They were raised with a certain mindset that no amount of military training can dispel. The citizenery produced the generals the political leaders and any other person that they blame for their woes

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Psalmy2cute(m): 7:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

I only used Dangote as a case study. What of producers of Indomie etc?

Almost every local manufacturing company is increasing the price of their goods.
yuu should understand that very few companies has 100% raw materials from their region or country... Toyota is a Japanese company the engine is bn made in Japan... But they do buy other materials like plug,windshield etc from other companies all over the world... Its the same case in Nigeria....... hope this is comprehendable

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by SmartMugu: 7:57pm On Sep 02, 2016
InHim4Him:

My salary was #150 a month.
Wow. Lol. That's not even enough for a kids per day pocket money today.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by holluphemydavid(m): 8:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
For wher, it can neva
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by piagetskinner(m): 9:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
Then where did we miss it.... Nigeria and and it citizen s were much resected... everything has turned up down
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by prevail23(m): 9:24pm On Sep 02, 2016
saintdennis:

So you a guy? And you're concerned with a fellow guys nails?

Wtf shocked
lol..
Abeg ask am oh..
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by EVENTSPRO: 9:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
This how ur grandchildren will show list of budgets of today to people of their generation in next 30 yrs and they will be like, what?? Naira has really died. Cos things are still better now!
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by brenister10: 11:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
mickyeddi:
The days when petrol was #5/litre, solo cocacola was#10, 35cl was #15, orobo was #20.

Oga you miss road, this was in 70's and not the new school prices of the 90's which you are referring to
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:18pm On Sep 02, 2016
pippimp:

I'm sorry to say this but most Nigerians are duller than a blunt knife. My kid is way smarter than 50% of the adults on this thread. It is like most of you never went to school, or did but did not assimilate anything. This is simple economics na. Do you know the price of gas/petrol in the U.S in 1970? $0.800. Do you know how much it is today? $2.743 in most places. Comparing prices in 1970 to today's market is like comparing apples to oranges. What matters is how the country adjust's for inflation. What you are complaining about today, Nigerians were complaining of in those days. Do you think it was easy to have 250 Naira in you account back then? I wonder how you people think.
You must be out of your rockers to have quoted me as I don't understand anywhere in my comment you read that I didn't understand the economics of 1978! Btw, I am a graduate of economics so don't school me about monetary economics or inflation.
I can't imagine y people can't communicate their point across without insults. Rubbish!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Black Billionaires 2019 - Forbes / Stealing In The UK Vs Stealing In Nigeria / Important Info On Bvn Registration!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.