Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:32 PM

Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? (670 Views)

A Lawyer Presents The Case For The Afterlife / Is It Rational To Believe In Afterlife [A Discussion] / I Will Embrace Death As An Atheist Any Time! What Is Afterlife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by RosaConsidine: 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
The question of the afterlife is one that one can simply not avoid. It’s there in pretty much every religion. Even the irreligious and non-religious sometimes find themselves asking “is this all there is or is there something more?”. Well, one thing is for sure; more people seem to like the concept of an afterlife than not.

And why not? Most religions promise an afterlife free of pain, suffering, discomfort, unhappiness and all the other things that make life uncomfortable. To the poor, the promise of a time when there would be no lack for ever and ever is simply too alluring. For the sick, an eternity without illness or afflictions is irresistible. For the bereaved, the possibility of being reunited with their lost loved ones, never to lose them again is simply impassable. For the unhappy, a life free of pain without end just has to come after all the pain and suffering they have endured. It’s probably why almost all religions – even the remote ones – have a promise of a life after we pass on.

But the above premise gives the impression that it’s only those who are unhappy with their lot in life that look forward to the life beyond this one. That’s far from the truth. Even the rich, the successful and those who lead generally happy lives do want it to continue. Look at the pharaohs of Egypt. They were kings and must have lived relatively comfortable lives (at least for their time). But they prepared for the afterlife probably even more than they allowed themselves enjoy their actual lives. Who wouldn’t want their enjoyment and happiness and success to continue for eternity? It’s very few people who are truly content with living just one life, regardless of how it pans out – and trust me, that level of contentment is pretty difficult to attain, especially if you’ve been exposed to life’s extremes.

But the afterlife is a broad term. It’s not like the afterlife is one destination of happiness and enjoyment regardless of how you live your life. Almost all religions’ concepts of the hereafter have one happy and comfortable afterlife and one of suffering. Whether it’s heaven and hell for the Abrahamic faiths or a reincarnation as a higher or lesser creature for some other religions, each person’s afterlife is usually predicated on how they have lived their current lives. So if a comfortable and happy afterlife is not an absolute certainty and there is the possibility of a negative afterlife, why does the notion of a hereafter still persist?

Well, the negative afterlife has it’s uses. For one, it serves as a sort of warning to get people to live their current lives in a good (usually socially acceptable) way. That’s not it’s only purpose though. The negative afterlife is also, like the positive one, a comfort mechanism. People who feel they have been cheated or robbed or wronged or done injustice to one way or the other usually get some form of reassurance or hope that even if their oppressors don’t get their just reward in this world, they’ll get it in the next. Of course it can be counterproductive when they consider they could very well also end up in the negative side of the afterlife but as at the point of consideration, that wouldn’t matter to them. All that would matter to them is that eventually, they would get justice.

So is that all the afterlife is? A form of comfort for the human soul? I honestly don’t know. I guess we’ll find out on the other side.

https://flashofgrey./2016/09/02/is-the-afterlife-a-comfort-mechanism/
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by herzern1(m): 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
*passinq by....
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by Ranchhoddas: 4:27pm On Sep 02, 2016
I hope not. It's depressing to imagine that this is our only shot at living. Really not cool.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by RosaConsidine: 5:34pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I hope not. It's depressing to imagine that this is our only shot at living. Really not cool.

But isn't it possible we would live happier, more contented lives if we know there's this possibility that this is all we've got and that we should give it our best shot?
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by Ranchhoddas: 5:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
RosaConsidine:

But isn't it possible we would live happier, more contented lives if we know there's this possibility that this is all we've got and that we should give it our best shot?
Perhaps. But we'll never know for sure as we have discontent atheists as well as content believers. Also, absolutely certainty that this is all we've got will be a recipe for chaos. Our kind will go extinct in a matter of centuries as hope of an afterlife is what is reining the 'psycopath' in many powerful people in.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by honourhim: 9:07pm On Sep 02, 2016
RosaConsidine:

To a baby in the womb, life is all about his stay in the womb, but that's not it u know. To you now life is all about your ur stay here. But i tell you its not.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by donnffd(m): 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
There has been no concrete evidence that suggests that our consciousness survives the death of the brain...so in other words, the afterlife or the the concept of it is like a placebo, its not real but it makes you feel good...

I personally look at it this way, the human species is about 200,000years old and for about 195,000years, majority of humans lived miserable lives, many died at child birth, diseases, wild animals, starvation, e.t.c. I could have been born in any of those times but i wasnt, by mere chance i was born in a period where we have the internet, roads and cars, aeroplanes, good medicine,electricity e.t.c. I am more than lucky, i am blessed, i was born in a time i can look to the stars and wonder, a time where i know my atoms where formed in the belly of those stars, a time where i know the age of the universe.

When i face troubles and hardship, i think about how lucky i am to be here at this time and those troubles become so small, so i don't care if life is finite, just because something would end doesnt mean it cant be enjoyed especially at a special time like this.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by RosaConsidine: 11:51pm On Sep 02, 2016
honourhim:

To a baby in the womb, life is all about his stay in the womb, but that's not it u know. To you now life is all about your ur stay here. But i tell you its not.

But babies don't worry about what happens after they're born
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by honourhim: 12:00am On Sep 03, 2016
RosaConsidine:

But babies don't worry about what happens after they're born

Ok so you dont worry about what happens in the world? Now dont tell me you are no more a baby. The issue here is that you are still in this world that you are born into.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by RosaConsidine: 12:10am On Sep 03, 2016
honourhim:

Ok so you dont worry about what happens in the world? Now dont tell me you are no more a baby. The issue here is that you are still in this world that you are born into.

Yh, but the fact is that for one, we've got enough to worry about in the here and now. On the second hand, we aren't completely certain about what the hereafter has in store for us. So why do we worry about it so much? At least we are sure of life's current certainties and range of possibilities so there's reason to worry.
Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by EyeHateGod: 2:16am On Sep 03, 2016

Re: Is The Afterlife Just A Comfort Idea? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 03, 2016
.....Evidence shows it is; actually.

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Christian: What You Must Know In Matthew 7:6 / See How Jesus Declared Paul As False Apostle! / The Church Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.