Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,403 members, 7,800,815 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis (584 Views)

Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment / 8 Facts About Sleep Paralysis That You May Not Know :don’t Blame The Witches / Things You Don't Know About Sleep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis by iamnlia(m): 10:09am On Sep 04, 2016
Have you ever heard of sleep paralysis?

Some of us may have and some not while others may have experienced it but don't know what it is or maybe think it was from their village witches grin grin grin.

Episodes of sleep paralysis normally occurs when someone immediately wakes from sleep, the person will be unable to move his or her body, the person won't be able to utter speech or do anything.Also,most times the individual hallucinates or hears voices.

Sleep paralysis has nothing whatsoever to do with voodoo magic and might be the scariest thing ever but it is relatively harmless.

NOTE:The first time I had it, I thought I had died and my spirit was leaving me.

Sleep paralysis is a parasomnia disorder where the body and brain aren't exactly on "the same page" during sleep. This means that the brain still thinks the body is in REM sleep (Rapid Eye Movement) .

REM sleep is the deepest stage of sleep where most of dreaming occurs. During dreaming, the brain paralyzes the main muscle groups of the body to prevent us from acting out our dreams. It does this using neurotransmitters known as GABA and Glycine. So when the effects of the neurotransmitters are still in play (the transmission from REM sleep is not smooth) and you gain consciousness, you won't be able to move your body.

Reports also show that sleep paralysis is hereditary and may occur from rarely to frequently (I am sure I've had up to 10 since January). It can also occur from a range of few seconds to some minutes.

So sleep paralysis is nothing to be scared of for all ye who pop anointing oil and visit prayer houses because of this.

It can either occur when you are about to go into sleep or when you just get out of sleep.

REMEDY
1) Try not to fight it, because fighting it can increase the intensity of the state.

2) Relax and flow with with it, it will surely pass.

3) If you find out a part of your body is movable, usually a finger or toe is slightly movable, focus on it and wiggle.

4) If you have a partner, give the person signs to be associated with sleep paralysis such as heavy and irregular breathing.

That will be all, I hope this was educating.
Nlia

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis by ring7(m): 10:16am On Sep 04, 2016
Abeg Vodoo Dee am,When my cousin had it first Sleep Paralysis ,he said he saw our Neighbor standing above him. Controlling him,so when he regain himself,he came outside and blasted the woman ...since that day No sleep paralysis.....
Re: What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis by iamnlia(m): 10:22am On Sep 04, 2016
ring7:
Abeg Vodoo Dee am,When my cousin had it first Sleep Paralysis ,he said he saw our Neighbor standing above him. Controlling him,so when he regain himself,he came outside and blasted the woman ...since that day No sleep paralysis.....

Like I said, hallucinations occur.
When I first had it, I saw things.
Even the one I had this morning, I was hearing voices.
And the paralysis may happen once in a lifetime

1 Like

Re: What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis by iamnlia(m): 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2016
Cc:Sissy3
Dominique
Re: What You Need To Know About Sleep Paralysis by Nancy2016: 2:28pm On Sep 17, 2016
Nice piece of writing. I actually suffer from sleep paralysis. It can be scary. What I have learnt is, you have to relax and not panic. After a while you will regain consciousness.

(1) (Reply)

Free Medical Test And Treatment / The Lady Who Men Got Stucked Inside Her For 8mins After Sex Cries Out For Help / Man In Aba Get Burnt By Mixed Kerosine While Refilling Lamp Tank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.