Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,692 members, 7,805,843 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs (15510 Views)

More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by PatrickOkunima(m): 7:36am On Sep 06, 2016
“Unique Selling Point” is a marketing idea developed to help people in business improve their sales. As a job seeker, you also have something to sell: YOURSELF! Mind you, for years we have heard “You have to sell yourself to employers if you want a job.” We’ve heard that phrase over and over-but what does it mean? How do you sell yourself to employers? You might think you have to throw yourself at the employer or get out of your chair and do a tap dance routine, if that’s what you think, you’re getting it wrong. The fact still remains the same in these difficult economic times, prudence prevails. Companies still want to hire and people still want to buy things but everyone wants to make sure they are getting value for money. In such circumstances the ability to sell yourself effectively has become more important than ever. Now it’s important for you to discover these tips for selling yourself when applying for jobs.

KNOW YOUR WORTH

When applying for a job or trying to win a new client, the key is to know your worth before you do any talking. For example, imagine you are in a shop trying to buy a new television and the sales person is unable to explain any of the features, why you should choose that particular brand over all the others and just seems to just be hoping you buy the item in order to earn him his commission. You probably wouldn’t buy from him would you? Likewise if you are selling yourself, a product or a service the same principal applies. You need to be able to clearly explain to the potential employer why you should be hired over all the other candidates or why your company will do a better job than all the others. If you cannot do that then it is very likely that you will fail.

DON’T SELL FEATURES; SELL BENEFITS

This is the golden rule in sales, and it’s the same concept when it comes to job application. Yes, you can tell the employer about your impressive GPA, Ivy League education and vast experience in the field. But expand on that. Expand on how your education and experience will benefit the employer if they hire you. What can you do that would make the company better? What can you do to make the company more money?

BE THE SOLUTION

Companies have job openings because they have a hole in their business. Your job (if you’re hired) is to fill that hole. For example, if the job opening is for a network administrator, tell why you are the perfect solution to their network woes. Or if during the interview they tell you they’ve been experiencing DDOS attacks on their servers, you can cite past experience working with hacked servers or even tell them you’ve been on the other end of DDOS attacks. Remember, sell benefits. Use specific examples from your past to illustrate how you will solve inherent problems in their database infrastructure and network insecurity. A job listing will usually indicate what the job responsibilities are and what you will be tasked with. Use this as an opportunity to brainstorm solutions to some of the problems they list on the job announcement.

SAY YOU’RE GOOD WITHOUT ACTUALLY SAYING YOU’RE GOOD

If you really aren’t comfortable saying you’re good at managing your time, you could talk about times when you managed your time well, using the CAR technique (describe the circumstances, your action and the results). For example; there have been times when I have had to manage my time carefully to get things done. In my second year, I volunteered two mornings a week at a primary school through Community Action, but I also had to hand in two essays a week and I worked at a supermarket for eight hours a week. I handled in all of my work on time, met all my volunteering obligations and still worked my eight hours, although I did swap shifts with colleagues on a couple of occasions. In this example, the candidate isn’t explicitly saying he’s good at time management, but it’s clear from the explanation that he is really good.

ENSURE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR

Lastly, trying to fit as much information about who you’re into a punchy sentence or two can mean a lot of word juggling which may lead to grammatical errors. Make sure that your 25-word summary reads well and is easy to comprehend. Consider your tenses and make sure they’re consistent. Once you have done your own spelling and grammar check, you may even want to run some options by a few friends to find out which one reads more clearly.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/09/06/discover-5-tips-for-selling-yourself-when-applying-for-jobs/

cc:
davide470,
uboma

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:39am On Sep 06, 2016
Was it helpful?
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Tkayhandsome(m): 3:06pm On Sep 06, 2016
No
Op too greedy.
You post and you first comment
Didn't even know It was going to appear on front page.
No big deal. CV na CV.
Just make sure your village people no sitdon for your certificates and make sure you carry God's favor. That's all you need. God's favor go discus nice CV and land you a 6 figure salary 100,000 etc...
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?

2 Likes

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:48pm On Sep 06, 2016
Thanks for your comment. Hopefully, our next post will be helpful.
Tkayhandsome:
No
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by adekayo1234(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?
PatrickOkunima:
Thanks for your comment. Hopefully, our next post will be helpful.

Tkayhandsome:
No
Don't mind the guy op, na because you spoil his first to comment. But op u self dey too selfish... Nice article though

1 Like

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 07, 2016
This op is so heartless. How can you take over front page with a lame 'Was it helpful? Why didn't you include it at the end of your write up? Anyway, how much did Seun pay in?

1 Like

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by seanwilliam(m): 6:52am On Sep 07, 2016
Unono anytin, b lyk say buhari hand neva reach ur side?some points on point dou
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by atirolu(m): 6:53am On Sep 07, 2016
Where is the job self b4 I knw what to sell what to say and how to market myself
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by onyeawka80(m): 6:54am On Sep 07, 2016
Well done bro. Nice write up. Very expository
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Temitope223(m): 6:58am On Sep 07, 2016
Be your own boss in few month check my signature
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by samx4real(m): 7:01am On Sep 07, 2016
No job, instead you should become your own boss...

Welcome to d economy recession caused by d blame game and ineffectiveness of present administration.
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Ekakamba: 7:11am On Sep 07, 2016
[size=15pt]Applicants of N'power, NPF & FIRS jobs take note. [/size]
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by seacoast(m): 7:18am On Sep 07, 2016
Ogini di? For this recession?

My dear give us tips for retaining ur job, because sack sack sack is the main thing now.

Ogini?
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by deLogo(m): 7:23am On Sep 07, 2016
interesting

1 Like

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by joe4christ(m): 7:29am On Sep 07, 2016
seacoast:
Ogini di? For this recession?

My dear give us tips for retaining ur job, because sack sack sack is the main thing now.

Funny, but true!

Ogini?
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by semasir: 7:34am On Sep 07, 2016
One man's meat is another's poison..... Some points noteworthy. If you don't know your worth, no one will value you as expected by you

1 Like

Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 07, 2016
Selling the Benefits.

Beautiful.

Saw this and had to quickly edit some parts of my cover letter where I talked about all my qualifications and experiences, but did not talk about how this will help the organization.

Nice.

Thanks.
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by QuotaSystem: 7:43am On Sep 07, 2016
Beautiful write up.
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Iny3(m): 7:49am On Sep 07, 2016
undecidedWell Said......But were are the jobs undecidedWell Said......But were are the jobs
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by ehix89(m): 7:54am On Sep 07, 2016
samx4real:
No job, instead you should become your own boss...

Welcome to d economy recession caused by d blame game and ineffectiveness of present administration.
Present & Past administration, our woes started when we abandoned our oil, pyramid, cocoa plantation, rubber plantation for our petroleum resources, everyone that ever stepped into the presidential seat from the discovery of oil till date have a share of the blame....the mantle fall on the present administration to drag us out, lets see how they go, at present there is nothing to commend them for
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Oyimzy(m): 7:58am On Sep 07, 2016
Okay...
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Sanuzi(m): 8:08am On Sep 07, 2016
ok now
PatrickOkunima:
“Unique Selling Point” is a marketing idea developed to help people in business improve their sales. As a job seeker, you also have something to sell: YOURSELF! Mind you, for years we have heard “You have to sell yourself to employers if you want a job.” We’ve heard that phrase over and over-but what does it mean? How do you sell yourself to employers? You might think you have to throw yourself at the employer or get out of your chair and do a tap dance routine, if that’s what you think, you’re getting it wrong. The fact still remains the same in these difficult economic times, prudence prevails. Companies still want to hire and people still want to buy things but everyone wants to make sure they are getting value for money. In such circumstances the ability to sell yourself effectively has become more important than ever. Now it’s important for you to discover these tips for selling yourself when applying for jobs.

KNOW YOUR WORTH

When applying for a job or trying to win a new client, the key is to know your worth before you do any talking. For example, imagine you are in a shop trying to buy a new television and the sales person is unable to explain any of the features, why you should choose that particular brand over all the others and just seems to just be hoping you buy the item in order to earn him his commission. You probably wouldn’t buy from him would you? Likewise if you are selling yourself, a product or a service the same principal applies. You need to be able to clearly explain to the potential employer why you should be hired over all the other candidates or why your company will do a better job than all the others. If you cannot do that then it is very likely that you will fail.

DON’T SELL FEATURES; SELL BENEFITS

This is the golden rule in sales, and it’s the same concept when it comes to job application. Yes, you can tell the employer about your impressive GPA, Ivy League education and vast experience in the field. But expand on that. Expand on how your education and experience will benefit the employer if they hire you. What can you do that would make the company better? What can you do to make the company more money?

BE THE SOLUTION

Companies have job openings because they have a hole in their business. Your job (if you’re hired) is to fill that hole. For example, if the job opening is for a network administrator, tell why you are the perfect solution to their network woes. Or if during the interview they tell you they’ve been experiencing DDOS attacks on their servers, you can cite past experience working with hacked servers or even tell them you’ve been on the other end of DDOS attacks. Remember, sell benefits. Use specific examples from your past to illustrate how you will solve inherent problems in their database infrastructure and network insecurity. A job listing will usually indicate what the job responsibilities are and what you will be tasked with. Use this as an opportunity to brainstorm solutions to some of the problems they list on the job announcement.

SAY YOU’RE GOOD WITHOUT ACTUALLY SAYING YOU’RE GOOD

If you really aren’t comfortable saying you’re good at managing your time, you could talk about times when you managed your time well, using the CAR technique (describe the circumstances, your action and the results). For example; there have been times when I have had to manage my time carefully to get things done. In my second year, I volunteered two mornings a week at a primary school through Community Action, but I also had to hand in two essays a week and I worked at a supermarket for eight hours a week. I handled in all of my work on time, met all my volunteering obligations and still worked my eight hours, although I did swap shifts with colleagues on a couple of occasions. In this example, the candidate isn’t explicitly saying he’s good at time management, but it’s clear from the explanation that he is really good.

ENSURE CORRECT SPELLING AND GRAMMAR

Lastly, trying to fit as much information about who you’re into a punchy sentence or two can mean a lot of word juggling which may lead to grammatical errors. Make sure that your 25-word summary reads well and is easy to comprehend. Consider your tenses and make sure they’re consistent. Once you have done your own spelling and grammar check, you may even want to run some options by a few friends to find out which one reads more clearly.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/09/06/discover-5-tips-for-selling-yourself-when-applying-for-jobs/

cc:
davide470,
uboma
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by chelseababy(f): 8:16am On Sep 07, 2016
@op,Nice article but where is the job somebody is applying for?
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by mtngloetiartel: 8:19am On Sep 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?
yes. Especialy that sell benefit point
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Ghost447(m): 8:23am On Sep 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?
No
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by katordidi(m): 8:28am On Sep 07, 2016
vague.
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Thobiy(m): 8:30am On Sep 07, 2016
Nice info
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by OwoMILLION: 12:08pm On Sep 07, 2016
The job is here,contact me on my signature.Id help u if u truely wana learn.Nice write up Op!
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by Kubany: 2:10pm On Sep 07, 2016
PatrickOkunima:
Was it helpful?

I suffered to write an article for you. You didn't get back to me and you want to make heaven. It is well with you.
Re: Discover 5 Tips For Selling Yourself When Applying For Jobs by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:29pm On Sep 07, 2016
Sorry I didn't get back to you. Your writing did not meet my requirements. And like I said, it was a proficiency test. Your article will not be published on any platform, print or online.
Kubany:

I suffered to write an article for you. You didn't get back to me and you want to make heaven. It is well with you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Bitter Experience Today As A Marketer / Npower October Stipend Will Commence Very Soon / Apply For Coca-cola Company Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.