Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,857 members, 7,802,748 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) (15078 Views)

Private Job Or Govt. Job (advise Pls) / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? / Staying on my job or Further Training? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 12:10am On Sep 10, 2016
Good day to you my fellow Nairalanders, I kindly need your advice.

I got a new job five months ago, and my monthly net is a little above 300K. On getting to the organisation I discovered my that some of my colleague with same skill sets earn close too 400k. I became demotivated, and I started applying to other organisations, and just last week I got a new job offer of above 400k monthly, I spoke with my supervisor on it and about me resigning, and after 3 days, the management of my present organisation called me and offer to give me close to 400k if I decide to stay. Please I kindly need your advice.

I personally will love to stay because I love the Organisation and my skill are well appreciated but my major fear is that it may be used against me in the nearest future by my present organisation. I really need your advice especially for someone that has experience this below.

Thanks

7 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Ojestas(m): 12:17am On Sep 10, 2016
Some people will just come here and start oppressing the jobless!

God dey!

236 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by mixratio(m): 12:20am On Sep 10, 2016
I think your present organization actually know your worth but since you didn't complain, they just kept mute and were watching. I very much doubt if it will used against you in future considering the fact that they pay others that amount too. You mean a lot to them for them to have agreed to increase your pay and have you stay. Please kindly let me know if it's in the construction sector. Cheers

15 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by jopretty(f): 12:32am On Sep 10, 2016
Hmmm, I've been job hunting for months now, praying to get a job that pays even if it's 20k for a start, I no see and someone here is talking about 400k job...Lord Jesus, are you awake and seeing this? sad well Op, I'll advice you stick to the job you love and have passion for. I'm sure your superiors know your worth now and would do anything to keep you. Goodluck!

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Doyin400l(m): 4:41am On Sep 10, 2016
Blood of peter....@op keep oppressing us with those figures.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 9:15am On Sep 10, 2016
Ojestas:

God dey!

I am sorry if you see this as oppressing, I did not start earning this in in first job, even though some are that lucky, I started with a job of 35k in 2008, and the 35k was reduced to 18k monthly when the organisation was not doing well, and when it folded up, a got a job of 45k in Abuja in 2010, and that of 60k, and that of 100k e.t.c before I got to this point, and I hope to get better and I pray for God's favour. We shall all be blessed, time and chance makes the difference between us and the rich

234 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 9:19am On Sep 10, 2016
mixratio:
I think your present organization actually know your worth but since you didn't complain, they just kept mute and were watching. I very much doubt if it will used against you in future considering the fact that they pay others that amount too. You mean a lot to them for them to have agreed to increase your pay and have you stay. Please kindly let me know if it's in the construction sector. Cheers

Thanks Brother,

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate, It is not a construction sector, but in an NGO sector. Thanks

8 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 9:33am On Sep 10, 2016
jopretty:
Hmmm, I've been job hunting for months now, praying to get a job that pays even if it's 20k for a start, I no see and someone here is talking about 400k job...Lord Jesus, are you awake and seeing this? sad well Op, I'll advice you stick to the job you love and have passion for. I'm sure your superiors know your worth now and would do anything to keep you. Goodluck!

Thanks for the advice Bro, but I don try too for street too o, this na my eight years after my NYSC o, I don struggle add ACA to my name and I started with 35k after six months of searching and praying, so na just time, you go pass here soon.

17 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Ojestas(m): 9:51am On Sep 10, 2016
femlex:

I am sorry if you see this as oppressing, I did not start earning this in in first job, even though some are that lucky, I started with a job of 35k in 2008, and the 35k was reduced to 18k monthly when the organisation was not doing well, and when it folded up, a got a job of 45k in Abuja in 2010, and that of 60k, and that of 100k e.t.c before I got to this point, and I hope to get better and I pray for God's favour. We shall all be blessed, time and chance makes the difference between us and the rich
Inspired! More blessings IJN !

22 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by jopretty(f): 10:54am On Sep 10, 2016
Thanks oo, and it's "sis" not "bro" grin
femlex:

Thanks for the advice Bro, but I don try too for street too o, this na my eight years after my NYSC o, I don struggle add ACA to my name and I started with 35k after six months of searching and praying, so na just time, you go pass here soon.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 11:59am On Sep 10, 2016
jopretty:
Thanks oo, and it's "sis" not "bro" grin

Sorry Sis. I appreciate, your testimony is sure soon. Thanks
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Intelligentdude(m): 2:15pm On Sep 10, 2016
Hello OP,it's a two way thing. It might work against you and it might not work against you.We don't know the attitude of the bosses in your organization,you do, so you should be able to judge for yourself.

My advice,since you are enjoying the place,just take a calculated risk and stay put.Cheers
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 4:09pm On Sep 10, 2016
Intelligentdude:
Hello OP,it's a two way thing. It might work against you and it might not work against you.We don't know the attitude of the bosses in your organization,you do, so you should be able to judge for yourself.

My advice,since you are enjoying the place,just take a calculated risk and stay put.Cheers

Thanks Intelligent dude.

The altitude of my bosses and colleagues towards me presently is very positive, and I believe it will be same in the new place. My calculation is has analyzed below
New Place,
Additional N53k monthly, smaller organisation compare to my present, head of my unit, job can last for at least four years, and unknown working environment.

Old place
Bigger Organisation, has more future in terms surviving, work as a support to the head of the unit, friendly colleagues and fear of being tagged not loyal to the organisation by requesting to leave in the first place, the last is my major worry.

I will weigh and add all the advice I get on this platform and other friends to the risk calculation before taking final decision.

Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by jopretty(f): 5:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
Thanks, and Amen!
femlex:

Sorry Sis. I appreciate, your testimony is sure soon. Thanks
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by mixratio(m): 11:12pm On Sep 10, 2016
femlex:

Thanks Brother,

Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate, It is not a construction sector, but in an NGO sector. Thanks
you are welcome boss..
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 11, 2016
*Learning*
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2016
HateU2:
*Learning*
Really hoping to learn too and I appreciate the contributions so far too
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Basilona(m): 7:13pm On Sep 11, 2016
OP. I tap into the Rhema of your Monthly net salary.

A welcome dilemma you have here. But I think you should stay put with your present employer. 53k seems too good to turn down but I believe the perks and climate of your present employer does a lot to balance the score. The fact that it is a bigger company presents a bigger platform with better growth opportunities should be a good sway.
Also, now you may not be the head of your unit now but when you do I reckon such promotion should come with an increase of more than 53k amongst other perks (not minding the fact that you may have had your pay grade upgraded before then)
8ut the above is just my opinion. Na you hold the gun, na you go pull trigger.
Let God lead sha. All the best!!!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 10:14pm On Sep 11, 2016
Basilona:
OP. I tap into the Rhema of your Monthly net salary.

A welcome dilemma you have here. But I think you should stay put with your present employer. 53k seems too good to turn down but I believe the perks and climate of your present employer does a lot to balance the score. The fact that it is a bigger company presents a bigger platform with better growth opportunities should be a good sway.
Also, now you may not be the head of your unit now but when you do I reckon such promotion should come with an increase of more than 53k amongst other perks (not minding the fact that you may have had your pay grade upgraded before then)
8ut the above is just my opinion. Na you hold the gun, na you go pull trigger.
Let God lead sha. All the best!!!

Thanks Bros, I really appreciate your time and effort on this. My heart is really in my present job but my head is in the new one.
I guess I will follow my heart.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 6:47am On Sep 14, 2016
I think it's good if you stay in your current job. Your superiors have proven to be flexible which is a good thing.
Stay there and work hard to even do better than those you met there with similar skills.
I love a good and healthy challenge

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Benjom(m): 6:47am On Sep 14, 2016
Stay... since they've offered you more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by BlackPeni5: 6:53am On Sep 14, 2016
See wetin hunger don cause for nigeria. Person dey ask for advise but na only him money we dey see.

OP stay in ur current employment since they have improved ur pay.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by andaxon: 7:00am On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Good day to you my fellow Nairalanders, I kindly need your advice.

I got a new job five months ago, and my monthly net is a little above 300K. On getting to the organisation I discovered my that some of my colleague with same skill sets earn close too 400k. I became demotivated, and I started applying to other organisations, and just last week I got a new job offer of above 400k monthly, I spoke with my supervisor on it and about me resigning, and after 3 days, the management of my present organisation called me and offer to give me close to 400k if I decide to stay. Please I kindly need your advice.

I personally will love to stay because I love the Organisation and my skill are well appreciated but my major fear is that it may be used against me in the nearest future by my present organisation. I really need your advice especially for someone that has experience this below.

Thanks

Guy stay on job and give me the link of this other job

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Adeoba10(m): 7:00am On Sep 14, 2016
Ojestas:

God dey!
No mind dem jare
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by JOF2: 7:04am On Sep 14, 2016
The advice of man is good . But have you considered seeking the face of God ? Afterall is not man that granted you this favour.

Congratulations

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by salabscholar01(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2016
You can't eat your cake and have it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by emmalux2(m): 7:05am On Sep 14, 2016
@Femlex Are u into ICT? a programmer precisely?

Let me know what to tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by jaybee3(m): 7:08am On Sep 14, 2016
Money being important shouldn't be the underlying reason for your career decision.

What's the point in earning big if the job doesn't offer investment in your developmental goals nor provide the much needed job security

The present company obviously values your contribution hence the reason why they renegotiated your salary.

Let your eventual decision align with your career goals

All the best

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by acunon: 7:14am On Sep 14, 2016
It all depends on your workman ability, if you feel you are as good as you think, i see no reason why they will threaten you with sack in the future. They needed you that was why they asked you to stay with the increase monthly pay. I will advice you to stay where you have created a name for your self and work harder for further promotion.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by oshorstan(f): 7:15am On Sep 14, 2016
Don't Leave, Your Organization Loves you. Nothing is sure if you're not sure..

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by mostyg(m): 7:17am On Sep 14, 2016
Salary shouldnt be the only motivation in a job.
And you think the second company can't use the fact that you left a five month old job against you? They would see you as unstable person and would never invest in you.
Whatever decision you take, be ready to face the good and bad of it.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by JaneyBlingx(f): 7:19am On Sep 14, 2016
And I'm here doing yes sir yes sir upandan for my boss that pays 20k cry

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? / Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.