Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,136,562 members, 7,755,731 topics. Date: Monday, 04 March 2024 at 04:17 PM

What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You (593 Views)

OMG! See What Nigerian Billionaire Oil Mogul Femi Otedola Did That Shocked Peopl / What Is The Funniest/weirdest Name You've Ever Heard? / What Is The Funniest Thing You Heard Or Read This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You by freemanbubble: 9:39pm On Sep 10, 2016
What cultural practices have you heard of or witnessed that shocked you?
Check this out: A village known as Toraja in Indonesia practices what many will term 'the most bizarre' ritual ever as villagers every three years dig up the corpses of loved ones and give them make overs in an event called the 'Ceremony of Cleaning Corpses'.
As part of the zombie ceremony, even the skeletons of children are exhumed, damaged coffins are fixed or replaced before the mummies are walked around the area by following a path of straight lines during the ritual.
Herman Tandi, 32 dug up the skeletons of his grand parents Jesaya Tandibua and Yakolina Namanda, brushed their hair and wore them wedding suits.
In another part of the village, another family dug up the skeleton of their relative, an army veteran that's been buried for ten years, and then dressed him in army uniform for the ceremony also known as Ma’nene ritual before taking 'family' pictures with him.
Another man's skeleton, Paul Sampe Lumba, who has been dead for seven years, was given glasses, a tie and a striped blazer so he could look good in the family photo while Ne’Tampo, dead for 30 years receives his own make over .
The villagers have an ancient belief that a person’s spirit must return to their place of origin so the more they go to the morgue, the better.

Re: What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You by EpicMaurice(m): 9:45pm On Sep 10, 2016
Creepy
Re: What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You by letsbet(m): 9:50pm On Sep 10, 2016
I'd wanted to tell a tale about a bizzare culture i heard of but this one the Op narrated beats it hands down. I'd love the Thriller by Micheal Jackson to be the theme music of the event and every body will bring his own dead zombie to contest in the last Last dance. i'll pay to watch that.
Re: What Cultural Practise Have You Heard Of That Shocked You by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 10, 2016
WTF!!

(1) (Reply)

My Experience With CBN/ BVN Scammers. / See How 2 Nigerians Took 2 Beggars 2 Shopping & Enrol Them In School In Enugu(pi / You Are Not Too Young To Do Great Things.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.