Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,864 members, 7,798,879 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (19540 Views)

5 Things To Avoid Doing With An Automatic Transmission Car / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by madapcmod: 7:03am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

D1 means the car won't exceed gear one. So what "burst of speed" are you talking about? undecided

Also, with automatic, it's never a good idea to change the gear while it's in motion.

I was about pointing out the shifting in motion for him. My friend shattered his gear box by moving from D to D1 while in motion.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 12, 2016
mamajaz:

You are beautiful, do you sell cars or just passionate about cars, nearly all your posts are car related.

Thank you. smiley

No, I don't sell cars, I'm just passionate about them. Spent most of my childhood watching them work on my dad's cars, instead of assisting my mum in the kitchen embarassed

Anything auto-related is ALWAYS intriguing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 19naia(m): 7:08am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual is better for skilled drivers. I bought and drove a new manual trans car for 6 years. It was easy and great but it was abuse on my leg nerves over time and especially in busy stop and go traffic it is a lot of leg work. The leg work and hand work is not so hard but over time in very rough traffic of stop and go, it caused pains in my legs that i did not know was from driving. I travelled overseas without my car one year and stayed away for months and my leg pains did not follow me. I returned after four months and drove manual again and after a few months the pains returned. I eventually travelled away from home for so long without my car and eventually sold it because it just sat wasting and being damaged by people driving it for me. And my leg pains have never returned. I now have an automatic and have been driving for 9 months with no Sciatic nerve pains in my leg and rump. Walking is actually the best relief for my legs.

I enjoyed driving stick so much but it was abuse on my right leg in the long run. One three month period i drove extensively in stop and go traffic for several hours a day, and that time was when i used to walk around with a Limp in my stride like i had an injury preventing me from walking correctly.
I will never drive Manual in Nigeria Traffic. In fact i would rely on a driver. Manual is nice and i enjoyed it but i am not physically fit for it. I would drive a manual just on rare occasion for pleasure but not to own it. But if you dash me manual trans. car for free, na him i go drive if i cannot sell am use buy automatic.

3 Likes

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 7:14am On Sep 12, 2016
muller101:
wrong. they make use of semi automatic transmission.
dat would be for f1 most racers prefer sequential manual transmission
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 12, 2016
madapcmod:

I was about pointing out the shifting in motion for him. My friend shattered his gear box by moving from D to D1 while in motion.

My cousin used to do the same. When I tried to correct her, she told me "I've been driving before you were conceived". Nsogbu adiro.

She has changed her gear mount, or is it gear mountain (the way these mechanics pronounce these things is confusing) over 3 times, since then.

So much for driving before my conception. grin

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 7:18am On Sep 12, 2016
GoodSide:
naija version
u don s3e bugatti for your street before
k imagine driving yourself driving a car with a bhp of 1000bhp and tell me how it feels
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?
Auto transmission rocks anyday. Though costlier to maintain, I still believe it's worth it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Not really smiley

"Still I Rise"? No, not from him.
Fan of Maya Angelou?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 12, 2016
EagleScribes:
I'm still waiting for oga Gazzuzz

Me too. Your input would be appreciated.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 12, 2016
Fit2Rule:

Fan of Maya Angelou?

Not really. But I love that poem. I also love Invictus, by William Ernest Henley.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by jeff1607(m): 7:24am On Sep 12, 2016
nurey:
Those of you beating chest on top manual just drive from Ajah to ikorodu in the evening for a month and come back to me and let's know how far.

As much as I love manual before even buying a car there are certain factors I must look at. I can't drive manual in traffic for too long it gives me "paja paja" if you don't know the meaning ask baba tawa the taxi driver

Bro, manual on dat road na die lol
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by millhouse: 7:25am On Sep 12, 2016
megawax8:

So many persons just put the car in 'drive' and drive. How many persons know the function of the '1', '2', & '3' in some automatic transmission gear system? You can overtake anything if you know your way around driving. Automatic still offers some form of control.
you just spoke my mind

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 12, 2016
madapcmod:

That was so unfortunate. Some people think shifting to semi manual would help them overtake faster, especially by long trucks. But then, that's what the kick down function in auto transmission is made for, isn't it?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Toks2008(m): 7:27am On Sep 12, 2016
I will always love an auto transmission with manual option.

I will not forget an experience I had when I entered a pothole and my car just went off and refused to start.....after waiting for the mechanic for hours he finally said it was just a bolt holding the kick starter that got damaged as a result of the impact and we started looking for bolt upandan as it was a Sunday. But if it was a manual transmission we would have simply pushed the car and I will gladly drive home.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:28am On Sep 12, 2016
Vorpal:

True for sport cars but everyday normal cars? Don't be too sure. Today smartphone have no key pads anymore, now there are talking about personal assistant in phones, voice recognition to unlock, face recognition, speak to type messages, things that are increasingly giving you minimal reasons to touch your phones.

I think there are even cars that can drive themselves of sort.

So mate, never say never, in a world that is bent on going digital.

Aren't there wireless earpods now?

@Ladymercedes, your eyes scare me. They have got to be lenses right? lipsrsealed

Actually I support your technological reasons to forgo manual drives soon, but I guess those
Manufacturers won't do that coz they won't be thinking of their countries alone when designing the cars.

For countries like Nigeria, manual transmissions would never fade out.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by femi4: 7:30am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:
I, for one, won't drive a manual.

First of all, driving in Lagos traffic can be a b*tch! I can't imagine driving a manual car... with the clutching, and braking, and shifting of gear. Life's too short for dislocated shoulders and muscle pulls.

Secondly, I don't know when to shift. Gear one, after 5 seconds, I move to two, and I stay there till the car starts making weird noises, then I shift to three... in that manner.

After driving a car with Automatic transmission, nothing would make me drive manual.

Which would you rather drive, and why? A car with a manual transmission, or one with automatic transmission?
Your eyez......I don't know sha, its scary
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by sheunpompey: 7:30am On Sep 12, 2016
Auto is good.... Speed kills
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by wristbangle: 7:31am On Sep 12, 2016
Ladymercedes, can you drive a manual stick vehicle? Because from your write up, seems u can't drive one at all.

Though for lagos condition, auto is the best but for a journey, auto makes u lazy and bore but manual engage you through out.

Also, manual picks well when changing speed than auto.

Why do you think race cars pick manual to auto?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 12, 2016
3KINGZ18:
dat would be for f1 most racers prefer sequential manual transmission

Sequential manual? Is that the same as Tiptronic, or Paddle shift?
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:32am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Not really. But I love that poem. I also love Invictus, by William Ernest Henley.
Wow.. . I love that poem too. My best lines..

...I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Loved these lines more when I watched "One Tree Hill.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Light2c(m): 7:37am On Sep 12, 2016
Mustang won't give u the Joy in auto transmission, in manual every gear has its efizy

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:37am On Sep 12, 2016
wristbangle:
Ladymercedes, can you drive a manual stick vehicle? Because from your write up, seems u can't drive one at all.

Though for lagos condition, auto is the best but for a journey, auto makes u lazy and bore but manual engage you through out.

Also, manual picks well when changing speed than auto.

Why do you think race cars pick manual to auto?

In case of an emergency, I can drive one. The problem I have is, not knowing when to change gears, while in motion.

I tend to forget it's not automatic, and I could leave it in one particular gear, till the engine starts revving. embarassed

Plus, I'm too lazy to drive one sad
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 7:37am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

no,those are semi-automatic
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 12, 2016
Light2c:
Mustang won't give u the Joy in auto transmission, in manual every gear has its efizy

Yeah! You're right.

Boy, do I love the way drivers change gears in Car Racing movies!
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

Dangerous? How?
when your break fail,you will understand.
When your fuel finished while on motion
Then you will understand.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 12, 2016
3KINGZ18:
no,those are semi-automatic

So what's sequential manual? undecided
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by wristbangle: 7:42am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

In case of an emergency, I can drive one. The problem I have is, not knowing when to change gears, while in motion.

I tend to forget it's not automatic, and I could leave it in one particular gear, till the engine starts revving. embarassed

Plus, I'm too lazy to drive one sad

Lol I see. Atimes the bolded happens to me but one got no choice.

Meanwhile auto are generally lacklustre when accelerating a hill unlike manual where u can easily change the gear to a speed level that will zoom the car quickly off the chain.

Also you can jump start a manual car but for auto, OYO is your case.

1 Like

Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by Jungleluv5: 7:44am On Sep 12, 2016
ExpressBooking:
Manual transmission rocks my boat. It is preferred by very professional drivers as it gives you total control,maneuverability and stunts you need at any given time. That's only if you know how to get what you need out of it.
Manual gear is the best.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:45am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/sequential-manual-transmissions
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by poyet(m): 7:45am On Sep 12, 2016
In high traffic cities like Lagos, Port Harcourt and some parts of Abuja, I prefer auto because of the stress of clutching and shifting gears every now and then. Apart from this, manual rocks my because you exercise all parts of the body in the driving process, unlike auto that you just sit there like a dumb ass using one leg to accelerate, then take it off and brake with the same leg!
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by TAXMASTER: 7:49am On Sep 12, 2016
Manual all the way,Manual transmission is for real men and not for Sissys.
Re: Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? by 3KINGZ18: 7:51am On Sep 12, 2016
LadyMercedes:

So what's sequential manual? undecided
is a type mostly used on race cars,it encourages faster gear changes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Hosts Worldwide Car Racing Organisation’s Regional Congress / Video Of A Dad Teaching His 3year Old Daughter How To Drive Wow / Ondo Auto Rally In Pictures And Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.